Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A lot of folks have told me they're not ok with stopping for 30 minutes every 2.5-3 hours to charge. As if it's ok to harm your body just to get an extra 90 miles in a day's drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I regularly meet people who say they drive 18 hours at a time to save a couple bucks so I’m sure the people who insist stopping for a few minutes every couple hours is unacceptable aren’t lying

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, it's easy to fall into that "gotta rush and get it done, drat the discomfort" mindset. An EV that effectively enforces breaks where you can get some movement in are good. Doing an even longer road trip in the winter (NY->FL and back) really shifted my mindset, and I don't want to go back. Even with the minor range impact from highway driving (losing the regen braking that city driving provides), EV road-tripping is just so much nicer.

Just put more charging stations everywhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Just put more charging stations everywhere.

Working hard, thank you! Just had a meeting last week to get a third charging station installed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nfcknblvbl posted:

As if it's ok to harm your body just to get an extra 90 miles in a day's drive.

I don't think people are going to buy into 'It's good to take breaks, get an EV!' when there are millions of people sitting at an office for 8 hours, who then come home and sit on a couch for 8 more.

Beyond that, the last time I looked at a map of Wisconsin, if I was going to drive to the Western part of the state (which I do semi regularly) there was one (1) charger on the route I normally take. Hope it isn't broken! Hell, even on my commute there is a single charger near my office and that's it. People live in places with absolutely horrendous infrastructure. Until that gets way better, EV prices come down, and manufacturers figure out a way to not tank range in the winter, not a lot will change wrt EV adoption, imo.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
There are definitely way less chargers than I thought there would be here in Austin, but we get charging at work and there's an EA charger 10 minutes up the road so it'll do for now.

Looking good next to the Tesla's. This finish is gonna be a pain to maintain.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I regularly meet people who say they drive 18 hours at a time to save a couple bucks so I’m sure the people who insist stopping for a few minutes every couple hours is unacceptable aren’t lying

This was me until we got the Model S. It was a big change in mindset that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull off, and, honestly, a less adventurous cruft would probably have decided it was too off-putting.

Now I really enjoy the breaks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol yeah these assholes are the loudest too. A very common complaint here is not being able to do a 11 hour drive to the sea, that people do at most once per year, without recharigng. Hurrr but my diesel Golf can do it

That said, as I mentioned before, I'd want more than 2 hours of driving before forced breaks. Maybe 3.5-4 would be ok and give you more wiggle room with chargers.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I drove slow as poo poo even in my gas powered car so I'm pretty sure I can get my electric car to a drat 400 mile range before recharging.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
95% of my driving trips are less than 10km at a time usually just driving kids to school, grocery shopping, etc so an EV is just about the perfect use case for me. I can't see putting on more than 50km a day..

Now I just need to find a drat EV :sigh:

I'd probably drive more if I got one just because now I'm like "hm I want to go to x but the price of gas.. nah" and stay home.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

I'd probably drive more if I got one just because now I'm like "hm I want to go to x but the price of gas.. nah" and stay home.

My annual miles driven jumped from about 8k to 16k when I switched to EVs. It really helps that my power company at home has a very generous EV charge plan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My wife has a 40km (return) commute so even with a few errands our 2012 Leaf works great for her.

I don't think it has too many more winters left in it though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My annual miles driven jumped from about 8k to 16k when I switched to EVs. It really helps that my power company at home has a very generous EV charge plan.

Yeah our electricity is extremely cheap here (almost all hydro based), already got a rebate for installing an EV charge station in my garage.

It's funny because the hydro company is running ads "get an ev!" then has to have a web info page on "well, EVs will be available soon, we promise!", laff

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anybody have recommendations for a replacement type 1 J1772 cable? The one for my dad's volt died, and there's mostly a bunch of no-name stuff around and then pretty much jumps up directly to $400+ type 2. He has no 240v circuit and no real need for one yet anyway.

Maybe try to find a gently used nissan leaf one or similar? Looks like maybe $150-250 in that range which still seems high.

Try https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-battery-charger-portable-120-volt-ev-unit-84966858
$464 for the first one I found. eBay for a used OEM one seems to be the best choice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-battery-charger-portable-120-volt-ev-unit-84966858
$464 for the first one I found. eBay for a used OEM one seems to be the best choice.

Jesus CHRIST that's more expensive than the 240v Bolt charger. Sorry I was expecting it to be $200 less than that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Jesus CHRIST that's more expensive than the 240v Bolt charger. Sorry I was expecting it to be $200 less than that.

It says "GM Genuine Parts".

I've never been able to obtain "genuine" parts for a car without having to pay far, far out the rear end. Like that one time in the 90s I had to pay $40 for a freaking windshield wiper nozzle, and then screwed it in too tight and had to buy a second one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

It says "GM Genuine Parts".

I've never been able to obtain "genuine" parts for a car without having to pay far, far out the rear end. Like that one time in the 90s I had to pay $40 for a freaking windshield wiper nozzle, and then screwed it in too tight and had to buy a second one.

Let me tell you about the 2 days I've spent trying to 3D print a headrest button for the Bolt, so I don't have to spend $200 on a new one.

Once this is done, anybody else who needs one will be able to make one for about 15 cents worth of PLA plastic. And I am super motivated to do this work, because $200 for a plastic button is highway robbery.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

Let me tell you about the 2 days I've spent trying to 3D print a headrest button for the Bolt, so I don't have to spend $200 on a new one.

Once this is done, anybody else who needs one will be able to make one for about 15 cents worth of PLA plastic. And I am super motivated to do this work, because $200 for a plastic button is highway robbery.

Dang, thanks.

Talking about 3D printed parts for the Bolt- someone posted this spacer that holds the charger in place. I bookmarked it for later when I (hopefully) finally get my Bolt.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3862271

Also a goofy but cheap good idea someone posted in a bolt forum is using this dog collar around the charge port to illuminate it if you are in a dark area.

I don't think you could use both of those 2 together though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You just sent me on a google search for stuff related to the Bolt charge port, so CCS is kind of a dumpster fire isn't it? How is it even with a connector that huge it doesn't reliably lock in?

It is too bad the Tesla connector won't become the universal standard, it seems to be a lot better engineered.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah getting any of the replacement included EVSE's from the mfg normal parts channels is nuts.

The best bet I've seen so far is the TurboCord, which is very small and UL listed and I've seen it at some commercial installations that didn't have room for a installed EVSE, so that's reassuring. Also less than $250 but says shipping is delayed.... so might contact them and see how far backordered they are.

Thankfully it's a Volt so he can just run gas for now and isn't forced to buy the first thing he can get.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The bolt charge port doesn't lock in? what the hell?

Isn't that rather dangerous with all that current?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Apparently it has a tendency to sag and loose connection which sucks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

How is that not a recall issue?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tom Guycot posted:

SAE J1772 is extremely safe in that regard. The high-current contact pins are much longer than the data transfer connections, and the ground pin is even longer. The moment the connector begins to disengage, it commands the charger to open its contacts and the current stops well before the high voltage contacts get anywhere close to disengagement or arcing.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've got two young children, anything longer than a 5 minute break is going to be a 90 minute break. And if they're both asleep in the back being able to switch drivers in 2 minutes (or fill up in 5) and carry on is absolutely invaluable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh I didn’t mean they switched drivers.

“Man I was so tired at the end of that drive I was falling asleep haha”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh I didn’t mean they switched drivers.

“Man I was so tired at the end of that drive I was falling asleep haha”
I drive 11 hour days for work and I cherish the 3 breaks I take, with one being 30 minutes and the other two about 15. I've done the drive-all-night-and-day road trip in my youth and gently caress that noise I gotta stretch dang it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are the Tesla sun shades worth getting? I never felt like I needed anything with the Mach but not sure how the 3 compares in terms of tint/uv rejection.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

bird with big dick posted:

Are the Tesla sun shades worth getting? I never felt like I needed anything with the Mach but not sure how the 3 compares in terms of tint/uv rejection.

Living in upstate New York, I've never had an issue with sun in my Model Y. The roof has significant tinting straight from the factory. Visiting Florida over the holidays I needed sunglasses, but I never felt I needed a shade for the roof.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Living in the hell that is central florida I've yet to feel like I needed an extra shade for the big rear end window on the top of my Y.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I live in New Mexico.

Front windshield, yes, definitely.

The ones that go on the top glass, ehhh. I have them and I put them up every summer but I haven't yet seen convincing evidence that I'm not engaging in audiophile behavior with this one.

For the record, I do *not* draw a green line around my CD's. But I *do* have $300 magic rocks on my speaker cables.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Friend let me drive his model Y, this was my first time driving an EV. The one pedal driving is legit amazing. I read so many warnings about how it kinda sucks and might take a long time to get used to, but i immediate got it and loved how you can still feather the stopping force by accelerating.

The instant acceleration was legit mind blowing. There’s no way I’d buy a new ICE vehicle at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who the gently caress is saying OPD sucks?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's enough that Porsche refuses to offer it as a selectable option.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I meant besides boomers

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The only real argument I've heard against OPD is the potential of drivers not getting used to applying force to the pedal on the left in emergencies but even that is a stretch.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

No issues in Arizona with heat/UV through the top glass.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tiny Timbs posted:

I meant besides boomers

My boomer parents love the one pedal mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

It didn't suck, but I seem to remember trying it on the BMW i4 and not liking it, but then, I only drove it for 45 mins.

That being said, riding the LiveWire with just the throttle is pretty great.

Then again, it does make me learn bad habits that need unlearning when I ride gas bikes.