Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

one million percent this

I agree completely, but I also want to let everyone know that I got yesterday's Gordle in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1528838401553735681?s=21&t=bsnb0kkDt9mA-_56lzVgHw

I want Philly to be bad, so I think this is a great idea.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Torts would likely be a real good short term hire for them if he still actually gives a poo poo. They just have to know going in that that bait is gonna need cut after two years, three at the very most.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Torts likely would be a disaster.

But he would absolutely have amazing fights / drama with the Philly media.

Roster stinks, Trotz deserves better than Philly, so gently caress it, let’s get some entertainment out of this.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh cmon, as fans we deserve this, I'm begging

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Torts would probably do well in Philly, but it would break my heart. Hope he doesn't go there.

but if he does, it will be hilarious. he does need to be back in the league

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Torts would probably do well in Philly, but it would break my heart. Hope he doesn't go there.

but if he does, it will be hilarious. he does need to be back in the league

It would make 3/8 teams in the Metro.

Makes me wonder what other coaches have done the carousel in the same division?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jhet posted:

Todd Maclellan is on team 3 in the Pacific

And Mike Keenan did 2 teams in each of the current divisions.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Todd Maclellan is on team 3 in the Pacific

So is Sutter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jhet posted:

Not impossible he could do a year or two with the Penguins after Crosby retires and they hit the tank, a few years down the road. It would be hilarious.

Also Lavy's on his fourth Metro team, although his time with the Islanders predates the Metro.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
And here lies Florida. They never scored.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Florida really looks like they could use a top tier skating defenseman with big time offensive upside. And I know just the man...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Florida really looks like they could use a top tier skating defenseman with big time offensive upside. And I know just the man...

You’re right, I think Klingberg is available.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Florida Panthers are dogshit garbage.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just absolutely giant losers

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome Panthers fans, I wanted to see you in the cup final, but you weren't good.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Panthers looked so bad (3 goals in a 4 game sweep) that Ottawa is looking better by the day for Claude :twisted:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Playoffs are hard when you don't play Montreal or Detroit 30 times

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington lost to those losers lmao blow up the Capitals right now

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Giroux with an absolute brutal self own in going to Florida

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
is anyone actually shocked that the two-time defending champions are Really Good

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

is anyone actually shocked that the two-time defending champions are Really Good
Kinda, yeah. You'd think there's be some sign of wear but nope

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also at a certain point you have to feel like some guys lose the will to continue sacrificing their well-being for the third consecutive year when they’ve already got multiple rings. Cooper seems to be a pretty good motivator though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good soup! posted:

Giroux with an absolute brutal self own in going to Florida

Colorado always mad way more sense, then and now, unless Giroux has Tax Opinions

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They are extremely lucky bastards in addition to being extremely good, as will be evidenced by both Carolina and Colorado now following Florida out the door.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sweeping the Florida Panthers in 4 I think is shocking yeah.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Colorado always mad way more sense, then and now, unless Giroux has Tax Opinions

They never explained it, but media people said G went to Florida because “he has family there.” Or something.

He def does not have a cup there :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shyduck posted:

Kinda, yeah. You'd think there's be some sign of wear but nope

Their MVP does have one fewer season of wear on him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs just keep racking up those moral victories, they must be far away tops in the league in that stat since Matthews was drafted.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Leafs just keep racking up those moral victories, they must be far away tops in the league in that stat since Matthews was drafted.

Dom and Sean have it covered

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1528917625643880451?s=20&t=IihrvvelhVMiuwfOXfTFfw

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1528923168236359680?s=20&t=IihrvvelhVMiuwfOXfTFfw

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Happy retirement to "Jumbo" Joe Thornton who likely just played his last National Hockey League game. 12th all time in points scored.
Here's a memory from his last really productive season, carrying a line with a young right-handed sniper who won't last in the league along with a European left winger who never belonged there in the first place, ending his Sharks' tenure the same as he started it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQME1X9pFhs

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It seemed to me like Florida got out-coached. Their special teams were a disaster the whole playoffs. At even strength they tended to look pretty discombobulated out there, like the players weren’t really sure where their teammates were and kept missing connections. And it felt like the coach was really conservative about pulling the goalie. You get a PP with 2.5 minutes left in an elimination game down by only one goal and you don’t pull the goalie immediately after your team gets possession of the puck? I think there’s a lot to look forward to with that stacked roster as long as their coach keeps learning from his mistakes and improving.

Could have been a different series if the war room in Toronto had overturned that goal in game one, I’m still scratching my head at that one.

I would prefer Florida be bad because that helps the Sabres but it’s fine. Let them have their fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1529074957233401858?s=21&t=uKMTHcdC3DdqOhn8h7jCHQ

Vasilevskiy was phenomenal

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It seemed to me like Florida got out-coached. Their special teams were a disaster the whole playoffs. At even strength they tended to look pretty discombobulated out there, like the players weren’t really sure where their teammates were and kept missing connections. And it felt like the coach was really conservative about pulling the goalie. You get a PP with 2.5 minutes left in an elimination game down by only one goal and you don’t pull the goalie immediately after your team gets possession of the puck? I think there’s a lot to look forward to with that stacked roster as long as their coach keeps learning from his mistakes and improving.

Could have been a different series if the war room in Toronto had overturned that goal in game one, I’m still scratching my head at that one.

I would prefer Florida be bad because that helps the Sabres but it’s fine. Let them have their fun.

I agree Brunette seemed out of his league. I think he even got outcoached for much of the series against Washington but their talent edge was enough to allow them to win that series.

They (and Toronto, though I guess they said they’re keeping Keefe) really should be parking the Brinks truck in front of Trotz’s driveway this offseason. I don’t think they can really afford to let Brunette learn on the job when their best players are in their prime now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It seemed to me like Florida got out-coached.
Primarily this.

Their system hummed along great during the regular season, which is all well and good when you're playing a different opponent every other night, but now teams can laser-focus on you. Caps set the blueprint but just didn't quite have the guns at the end. Bolts ran with it and never looked back.

Florida looked largely the same for 11 games, and they ended up with a 4-7 playoff record. They just never adjusted. Perhaps they weren't built to adjust.

This is on players too; they have a guy with nearly 90 regular season assists just completely dissappear, among others. But they really just kept trying to jam a square peg in a round hole for 11 games.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Cruising to the Presidents Trophy scoring 4.15 goals/game and then scoring 3 total in a four game sweep is pretty funny though

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cruising to the Presidents Trophy scoring 4.15 goals/game and then scoring 3 total in a four game sweep is pretty funny though

With that kind of record, can I recommend one Pete DeBoer, they sound like his kind of team.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That and 1 for 31 on the power play, which almost sounds impossible

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
if only the panthers had a head coach that ran a defense-centric strategy that would be more successful in the playoffs atmosphere.

someone like gerard gallant mayhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I agree Brunette seemed out of his league. I think he even got outcoached for much of the series against Washington but their talent edge was enough to allow them to win that series.

They (and Toronto, though I guess they said they’re keeping Keefe) really should be parking the Brinks truck in front of Trotz’s driveway this offseason. I don’t think they can really afford to let Brunette learn on the job when their best players are in their prime now.

They are not going to fire the coach that won the Presidents and will win the Jack Adams. They should if they can get Trotz, but no way in hell they're going to.