Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If there's one postivie for Florida, it's hopefully they've learned a tremendous lesson. I mean just look at Tampa: they came into the playoffs 3 years ago thinking they were hot poo poo and got punched in the mouth. Now look at them. There weren't any huge changes with core personnel, but they were able to identity how they may have hosed up and just didn't do that again.

I don't know if Florida can quite do the same thing, and it's kinda unfair comparing them to Tampa in that way because Tampa is just on a whole different level, but they clearly have talent and I think Brunette has earned another crack at it.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just one year I’d love to see Vasy not be able to make the playoffs for them, and just see them get humiliated night after night.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just one year I’d love to see Vasy not be able to make the playoffs for them, and just see them get humiliated night after night.

If this happened they'd just put him on LTIR and acquire some disgruntled starter

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How much of Brunette’s coaching was just doing the same thing Quenneville was doing? Or doing the Mr. Burns telling his really good players to hit a home run?

He’s still just an interim coach so it’s not like they’re committed to him financially. Yeah they shouldn’t let him go for some bad retread but they absolutely should be looking at Trotz in particular.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
when you have the best offense in the league, maybe dont pick up Giroux at the deadline for the playoffs. simply get yourself a nick paul

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

shyduck posted:

If there's one postivie for Florida, it's hopefully they've learned a tremendous lesson. I mean just look at Tampa: they came into the playoffs 3 years ago thinking they were hot poo poo and got punched in the mouth. Now look at them. There weren't any huge changes with core personnel, but they were able to identity how they may have hosed up and just didn't do that again.

I don't know if Florida can quite do the same thing, and it's kinda unfair comparing them to Tampa in that way because Tampa is just on a whole different level, but they clearly have talent and I think Brunette has earned another crack at it.

Yea I agree with that. Florida now reminds me a bit of Tampa a few years ago. I don't think they'll be as dominant but they might have the potential to be. Right now I'd feel pretty comfortable betting they'll make the conference final or Cup Finals at least once or twice in the next couple of years. It's tough to say because their division is going to be such a slugfest every year. When the 4th best team in your division is the Bruins thats a big problem, and when the older teams (like Boston and Tampa) maybe start to fade they're going to be replaced by Buffalo, Montreal, maybe Detroit, who look like they're all trending in the right direction. (Nobody tell the fans of those teams I said that)

Will be interesting to see what happens with some of their older guys but they're going to be a very good team for the foreseeable future and most of their core is still relatively young. Most of their key players won't be in their 30s for another 4-5 years. Bob isn't always perfect but I think he's definitely past that hump of bad play he had, and if/when he's gone they move straight to Spencer Knight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There have been some real howlers for the Jack Adams lately. MacLean in '13 (fired two years later), Roy in '14 (fired two years later), Hartley in '15 (fired one year later), Gallant in '18 (fired two years later, though that one is pretty clearly a case of organizational incompetence). I'd bet money Brunette will be fired within two years.

Meanwhile among the actual best coaches in the NHL, Jon Cooper and Mike Sullivan have never won an Adams. Trotz has won two. This makes sense when you realize the award isn't for Best Coach, it's usually for Coach Of Team That Most Surpassed Preseason Expectations. Trotz has gotten a couple by hopping teams every few years, and every team he joins immediately improves. Cooper and Sullivan's teams are expected to win the Cup every year, more or less, so overachievement is impossible and they don't even get a look from the Adams voters. Sullivan is a good bet to win one early in his tenure with whatever team he coaches after he leaves the Penguins.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea I agree with that. Florida now reminds me a bit of Tampa a few years ago. I don't think they'll be as dominant but they might have the potential to be. Right now I'd feel pretty comfortable betting they'll make the conference final or Cup Finals at least once or twice in the next couple of years. It's tough to say because their division is going to be such a slugfest every year. When the 4th best team in your division is the Bruins thats a big problem, and when the older teams (like Boston and Tampa) maybe start to fade they're going to be replaced by Buffalo, Montreal, maybe Detroit, who look like they're all trending in the right direction. (Nobody tell the fans of those teams I said that)

Will be interesting to see what happens with some of their older guys but they're going to be a very good team for the foreseeable future and most of their core is still relatively young. Most of their key players won't be in their 30s for another 4-5 years. Bob isn't always perfect but I think he's definitely past that hump of bad play he had, and if/when he's gone they move straight to Spencer Knight.

Yeah I get the feeling they're at a "make smart moves and become a long term contender" and "panic and collapse" crossroads. Should make for some fun watching!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Homer opinion but I also believe Bruce Cassidy does not get enough credit around the league

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Homer opinion but I also believe Bruce Cassidy does not get enough credit around the league

He won the Adams waaaaay back 2 years ago

e: I'll say something nice about him though, after the Bruins threw away game 2 of the Carolina series throwing a collective temper tantrum Cassidy did get them back on track. And brilliant a player though he is, keeping Marchand focused on playing hockey can't be an easy job.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

He won the Adams waaaaay back 2 years ago

lol I totally forgot about that. To be honest I forget almost everything related to the pandemic seasons. I don't know why, I just do. The other day I couldn't remember who won the Cup before the Lightning, and Boston played in that series.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

There have been some real howlers for the Jack Adams lately. MacLean in '13 (fired two years later), Roy in '14 (fired two years later), Hartley in '15 (fired one year later), Gallant in '18 (fired two years later, though that one is pretty clearly a case of organizational incompetence). I'd bet money Brunette will be fired within two years.

Meanwhile among the actual best coaches in the NHL, Jon Cooper and Mike Sullivan have never won an Adams. Trotz has won two. This makes sense when you realize the award isn't for Best Coach, it's usually for Coach Of Team That Most Surpassed Preseason Expectations. Trotz has gotten a couple by hopping teams every few years, and every team he joins immediately improves. Cooper and Sullivan's teams are expected to win the Cup every year, more or less, so overachievement is impossible and they don't even get a look from the Adams voters. Sullivan is a good bet to win one early in his tenure with whatever team he coaches after he leaves the Penguins.

Roy wasn't fired. He got pissy that the Avalanche were deliberately tanking and resigned. Then the Avalanche sucked for one season, took Cale Makar in the draft and welp.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of Bruce Cassidy, someone on the broadcast last night mentioned that Kadri is one of those guys like Marchand or Wilson who feeds off opposing fans' hate and plays better on the road. Meanwhile, Marchand had 10 points in 3 games @BOS and 1 measly assist @CAR. His career splits are now 68P in 73GP @home and 50P in 66GP away. He's basically a smaller, speedier, slightly more skilled Steve Webb.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's hard to see through how much piece of poo poo he is as a person but Marchand is and has always been a magnificent player. He has instincts like no one on Earth this side of Crosby or Lidstrom, he's excellent defensively, plays full speed on both ends every shift, and his puck skills aren't elite but they are very good. But the instincts are the really special thing about him--seemingly random loose pucks find their way onto his stick way more often than other players, he's somehow able to suss out what's about to happen an eyeblink sooner than everyone else. He's been one of the very best wingers in the game since the day he reached the NHL. Plus he and Bergeron have been together so long now that they practically have a Vulcan mind meld going, which I think plays into why Bergeron looks like so much of an outlier in the defensive fancystats at such an advanced age.

But I do suspect strong coaching from Julien and Cassidy has played a big role in his career being as long and successful as it has, where with a weaker/dumber coach he might have gone off the rails, because, again, he is a piece of poo poo.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 24, 2022

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1529135436978954242

i want to see this now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Isn't half of Florida's roster UFA in the summer? This might have been the best we seen out of them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Isn't half of Florida's roster UFA in the summer? This might have been the best we seen out of them

They're mostly losing depth and deadline pieces. Giroux, Acciari, Chiarot, Hagg. They won't likely be able to load up as much because the Yandle buyout super capfucks them next year but they're still relatively strong.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to see some "TORTS REFORM" headlines.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Nah, their deadline deals like Chiarot and Giroux are gone, but the biggest player now UFA from the regular season core is Mason Marchment. It's after 2022-23 where the core starts to explode when Huberdeau and Weegar become UFA, and Knight becomes an RFA.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Pungry posted:

Nah, their deadline deals like Chiarot and Giroux are gone, but the biggest player now UFA from the regular season core is Mason Marchment. It's after 2022-23 where the core starts to explode when Huberdeau and Weegar become UFA, and Knight becomes an RFA.

Using your first rounder on a goalie and then immediately signing Bobrovsky to an 8-year deal was as dumb then as it looks now

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Using your first rounder on a goalie and then immediately signing Bobrovsky to an 8-year deal was as dumb then as it looks now

I try not to think about the Dale Tallon era.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you think that's funny, chekc out Minnesota's cap friendly page. This was their only shot and they poo poo the bed.

lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

If you think that's funny, chekc out Minnesota's cap friendly page. This was their only shot and they poo poo the bed.

lol

I was going to say this is also Vancouver because Benning will haunt that roster for a decade after he is gone, but then I realized Dallas, Winnipeg and a few other teams are also cap hosed pretty bad and have seen their windows slam shut.

I wonder how thats going to affect things over the next few years. I doubt the cap goes up much more, so maybe the owners decide to give everyone a free buyout again? Free agency and trade deadline could also end up being even more boring if most of the league cant even afford to make a handful of dumb nonsensical trades for our entertainment.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah a bunch of teams are gonna be bad and might benefit from a flat cap. Should be a weird few years for the league and honestly it's probably a real good time to tank and sell cap space. I'm just extra amused by Minnesota being mediocre as hell forever, followed by a saivioir and perfect season, followed by an unceremonious first round exit, followed by the Sutter and Parise buyouts hitting the books. loving 12 and change of dead cap space starting next year. Just brutal.

I mean, Benn and Seguin aren't much better than dead cap space but they play games and could theoretically be traded or retire...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please no

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah a bunch of teams are gonna be bad and might benefit from a flat cap. Should be a weird few years for the league and honestly it's probably a real good time to tank and sell cap space. I'm just extra amused by Minnesota being mediocre as hell forever, followed by a saivioir and perfect season, followed by an unceremonious first round exit, followed by the Sutter and Parise buyouts hitting the books. loving 12 and change of dead cap space starting next year. Just brutal.

I mean, Benn and Seguin aren't much better than dead cap space but they play games and could theoretically be traded or retire...

Honestly I would take Minnesota's cap situation over the Stars lol.. yeah they have 12 mill dead space next year and almost 15 mill of dead cap space in 2023-24 and 2024-25, but the rest of their money is really well spent. I agree they top out as a 2nd tier team in the league for the next few years, but they should still be a favorite to hold down a playoff spot in my estimation.

The Stars are such a loving mess. I can't see that there's any other route for them but hovering in that 8-12 range in the conference for a few years while we wait for some of the wasted money to fall off the cap.. They can't even really rebuild because quite frankly there are no disposable pieces that the Stars can trade that other teams would actually want.. I mean they could sell off Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, Jake Oettinger or Miro Heiskanen (literally the only valuable assets currently on the team) but I don't see them doing that with their "core" pieces.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 24, 2022

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Are Benn and Seguin the worst contracts in the league in terms of overall production vs how much they're still owed?

8 years (3 for Benn and 5 for Seguin) left in total and both contracts are pretty buyout proof.

Dallas has some decent pieces and could be setup well in the future, but 24% of the cap devoted to Seguin and Benn really fucks them.

Edit: At least Radulov's contract is expiring, christ did he fall off a cliff.

Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Are Benn and Seguin the worst contracts in the league in terms of overall production vs how much they're still owed?

8 years (3 for Benn and 5 for Seguin) left in total and both contracts are pretty buyout proof.

Dallas has some decent pieces and could be setup well in the future, but 24% of the cap devoted to Seguin and Benn really fucks them.

possibly.. I think historically stuff like the Sharks awful contracts (Vlasic, Karlsson) and the recent contracts for Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse have been viewed as bigger liabilities for future value vs. compensation, but that math may have changed with this latest season where Benn and Seguin were both arguably below replacement level.. like previously they had always been good possession players who created alot more chances than they allowed and brought alot of value on the power play.. Their contracts were bad in the sense that they were probably good candidates for regression and they were at best average top 6 forwards, but now it's looking like they are cooked and it could even get worse if Seguin gets more banged up and Benn gets even slower with age.

Like.. the best I can think of is the Stars might be able to pull off a OEL trade scenario where they take on some shorter term absolutely toxic assets in exchange for dumping Seguin's longer term contract (with salary retained of course) on a team that thinks they can get something out of him.. that would probably be a best case scenario

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 24, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Tyler Seguin lost a chunk of his leg and had to like, relearn how to walk and poo poo. The deal is definitely still not great, but he looked a lot better the second half of this season.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Tyler Seguin lost a chunk of his leg and had to like, relearn how to walk and poo poo. The deal is definitely still not great, but he looked a lot better the second half of this season.

I've heard this argument, and It's true that the even strength scoring improved quite a bit the 2nd half of the season, but I don't know that his on ice impacts actually changed all that much. The Stars really struggled to figure out what to do with Benn, Seguin and Radulov.. putting all three of them together was a complete disaster, and there didn't seem to be anyone on the roster that could mesh with them on the 2nd / 3rd lines. There is some hope that bringing some young talent on the roster will get something different out of these guys, but It's not a good position to be in when you need to look for off-roster solutions to unlock the potential of a guy making almost 10 million a season.. it should be working the other way around.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bowness is also a really lovely coach and its possible the system was making them look worse than they are.

Vlasic on the other hand is straight up cooked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Honestly I would take Minnesota's cap situation over the Stars lol.. yeah they have 12 mill dead space next year and almost 15 mill of dead cap space in 2023-24 and 2024-25, but the rest of their money is really well spent. I agree they top out as a 2nd tier team in the league for the next few years, but they should still be a favorite to hold down a playoff spot in my estimation.

The Stars are such a loving mess. I can't see that there's any other route for them but hovering in that 8-12 range in the conference for a few years while we wait for some of the wasted money to fall off the cap.. They can't even really rebuild because quite frankly there are no disposable pieces that the Stars can trade that other teams would actually want.. I mean they could sell off Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, Jake Oettinger or Miro Heiskanen (literally the only valuable assets currently on the team) but I don't see them doing that with their "core" pieces.

Yeah. The 12-15m of dead cap for three years is going to suck. Except there’s some possibly decent entry level contracts that can hold it over. I’m convinced Fiala will be gone and they’ll probably end up trying to trade Dumba this year or next.

Saying that, most of the rest of the squad is okay and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was okay for three years. There’s a lot of teams in the Central on the down and Kaprizov is likely to drag them into maybe third but probably the wild card spots. They just won’t be adding rentals and will need to rely on the prospects making the next step.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With Seguin he has the caveat of being on the shittier end of injury luck for the past 4 years.

Benn just got old fast. The organization tried to defend the contract by bringing up the Art Ross trophy, but I wonder how they feel about it now.

I like Benn and Seguin still, but I'd like em a lot more if our GM didn't give them the dumbest contracts I've seen in Dallas sports. And when you share a city with Jerry Jones that says a lot.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah the Seguin contract was always gonna be 50/50 at best but Benn's deal was stank from day 1. Would have been fine if they won a cup, but ya know.

I have hope. The kids are good and hopefully the Bowness era pivots the org back in an offence first direction. Maybe Phoenix will really need to hit the floor or something. Who knows!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some of you laugh/groan, but he's still the last head coach to eliminate the Lightning from the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

That and 1 for 31 on the power play, which almost sounds impossible

My man did you see the flyers power play this year

1/31 would have been an improvement

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1528418934931718150?s=20&t=aHZGUgT8NxfQRzfynY3eIQ

This deal rules. Never thought the Pens would get Rust this cheap and that they can probably trade him after three years if Sid retires at the end of his current deal.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm getting my hip redone like Tyler Seguin and Sean Monahan and I can't even fuckin plant potatoes

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1528418934931718150?s=20&t=aHZGUgT8NxfQRzfynY3eIQ

This deal rules. Never thought the Pens would get Rust this cheap and that they can probably trade him after three years if Sid retires at the end of his current deal.

Wow. That is a very solid deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Can I order my Bryan Rust Senators jersey now or do I have to wait until '26?