Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
gonna have to watch ace after i finish this 200 episode ancient chinese war anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the daiya replacement

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

also, it's cool that diebuster is a yuri mecha anime. i like that aspect

yeah that part deffo owns!! 💪

and yea i get what ur saying with the homage aspects and identity and stuff, for me i think gunbuster landed better because of it being a simpler story (and also the robot is very cool) :)

homeless snail posted:

the funny thing about gunbuster cribbing from aim for the ace, is that there is no coach romance arc in ace, thats a top invention. the ace coach arc is the weird relationship with his estranged sister who also happens to be hiromi's rival, and slight bitterness that he chose hiromi's passion over oranko's objective tennis skill. in ace, coach is gay for a buddhist monk

the coach was p gay for the monk in ace which was Cool but then also iirc ace or ace 2 kind of vaguely implied coach was Into hiromi too??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a7i9fI3iLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6i1GnHTVw

So I've been a fan of FT for almost a decade now and, as fun as it is, I used to kind of fret about the female VAs. Do they like saying some of the poo poo they say in it? What about other voice-actresses in other fanservicey or risque anime?

But, in retrospect. I think I was being too sensitive or even babying them. Obviously women can be raunchy too and just have fun with the silly show. It's part of why I'm glad somebody at Funi released these.

Also why I'm glad I found Amanda Winn-Lee's Twitter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the funniest out take will always be CRISPEN FREEMAN GET OUT OF MY ROOM from noein

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really every outtake reel lives in the shadow of Berserk’s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4&t=473s

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Please don't doxx me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MACROSS_BIGWEST/status/1528933816110305280?s=20&t=_YRziimEKXlpFpvOW8TffA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but where's absolute live

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

homeless snail posted:

yeah but where's absolute live

in ur heart

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished the episodes of March Comes in Like a Lion that were on Netflix. For anyone that also watched/read it, I’m guessing there’s still more in the manga so where do I start? And what sites are the best these days for reading manga since I can’t support the official release that doesn’t exist?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/HinamizawaPosts/status/1528830625297350659?s=20&t=0AO9pji48ObJGIAOkJw9Jg

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mentat Radnor posted:

I got the (Diebuster spoils) Nonoriri mythology part almost as soon as the name was mentioned, since my first watch of Diebuster was immediately after my first watch of Gunbuster, but just like you I didn't realize the time frame and its relevance until that last scene hit, and oh jeez oh man what a moment when those lights came on and the wailing guitar lick comes in.
i did a loving double backflip

Booky posted:

yeah that part deffo owns!! 💪

and yea i get what ur saying with the homage aspects and identity and stuff, for me i think gunbuster landed better because of it being a simpler story (and also the robot is very cool) :)
also because no matter how many times i see it, this poo poo has me running through a brick wall
https://youtu.be/v3HQOEMs4uE
some of the best VA work in the genre alongside some of the most painstaking animation work ever and sick nasty OST AND the best character development in an OVA

just a hot-blooded feast for the senses

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 24, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao it’s gonna be me front row center completely alone in Denver Pavilions 15 for both of these

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1528987173927522304?s=20&t=jpWRT41ktIIzhAGodx-r1Q

Togashi has made a Twitter account and announced 4 more chapters of HxH. This has been confirmed as him by Yusuke Murata.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Let's go for the hat trick and get Nana to somehow finally come back from hiatus too :pray:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Last Celebration posted:

I finished the episodes of March Comes in Like a Lion that were on Netflix. For anyone that also watched/read it, I’m guessing there’s still more in the manga so where do I start? And what sites are the best these days for reading manga since I can’t support the official release that doesn’t exist?
denpa will start releasing march lion volumes later this year, but for now, mangadex is your friend (starting at ch 90)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/han_meg_han/status/1529089201744257024?s=20&t=jpWRT41ktIIzhAGodx-r1Q

https://twitter.com/Ma_ri_ya_i/status/1529085849341931520?s=20&t=jpWRT41ktIIzhAGodx-r1Q

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Coaaab posted:

denpa will start releasing march lion volumes later this year, but for now, mangadex is your friend (starting at ch 90)

Thanks! I saw the manga on Amazon for preorder, I’m kinda surprised that it took this long to get localized.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it seems like Togashi is finishing up a volume, so it'd be more like 10 chapters coming.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it seems like Togashi is finishing up a volume, so it'd be more like 10 chapters coming.

Looks like 4 more chapters to do with 6 done.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wonder egg priority has interested me for the first three episodes so far

I don't know what's to come but I do know it's apparently bad so yay

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nyoro posted:

It's good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

half good half bad

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wegg

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nyoro posted:

It's pretty good for 1/2-3/4s of the way but botches the landing quite badly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not a fan of the wonder egg writer, in general

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wegg

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
iirc this hasn't been streaming anywhere for a while
https://twitter.com/retrocrush_tv/status/1529160033501691909?s=20&t=NLJioUyGzHmldEU90Y8IuA

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i watched that one recently and really liked it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's one of my favorites so I'm glad it's streaming somewhere for people to watch it again

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

All the best anime have cats in them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

how does Kamisama Kiss work in this framework. are foxes a cat or a dog

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't the wonder egg writer the same one who talked about war journalists in relation to being trans or something in another manga??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/773tk_/status/1529018062246060032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Booky posted:

wasn't the wonder egg writer the same one who talked about war journalists in relation to being trans or something in another manga??

in his book, sunu sumu muriku, a story about a fictional moomin fan's youth and relationship with his trans childhood friend, a girl named nono, there is an arc about them campaigning to change the rules around uniforms so that nono can dress in a girl's uniform. the way they accomplish this ultimately involves the main character going on stage in front of the entire school and giving a speech about the time the government rescued journalists imprisoned in iraq and likened inaction in granting the right for trans students to wear uniforms of their choosing as an equally cowardly act to leaving those journalists to die. he then goes on to tell everyone about the bravery nono is displaying in accepting her identity, and how she isn't even afraid to cut off her entire penis. everyone claps. this is not the most confusing scene in sunu sumu muriku. it received a manga adaptation in 2009, which then received the worst english scans for any manga i have ever read

honestly the more frustrating thing about sunu sumu is that, while you can technically call it a trans story, it's more a guy's coming of age story about becoming a trans ally. it, gets some aspects of trans stuff correct, and gets other things bizarrely, kind of inexplicably wrong. nono doesn't like. do anything. you never get her perspective on anything. she exists primarily as a plot goal for the protagonist to save. she gets a total of three interesting moments in the entire story and one of them is one of the most baffling double twists i've ever read. midway through the manga, they have an arc about how the main character has dozens of different girlfriend he is all cheating on at once. after introducing nono to them all, a girl he is friends with (not one of his girlfriends) comes to tell him that nono has hosed all of his girlfriends and they all enjoyed having sex with her more than with him. he is shocked, because as far as he knew, nono is uncomfortable with having sex. at the end of the story the same girl tells him that actually nono loving all of his girlfriends was a prank they both came up with and nono, in fact, never hosed any of his girlfriends. none of this is really important to any part of the story

nojima is... a weird writer. he's talented at writing casual dialog and he has an interest in writing about lgbt+ themes stretching back to his work on dramas in the 80s. but there's a bizarre gap in his work where you can tell he studied and understood the topic and parts where he, really didn't. i can cut sunu sumu muriku some slack in some areas because it's a bit hard to tell how much of the weirder bits in its dialog are a result of an unignorably terrible translation, but with or without that it, is not a good manga. for all its problems wonder egg is the superior work by a lot, and i dont really like that one either.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 25, 2022