Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It’d be nice to go to a sunny beach right now.

Tempted to say the beach drink would be margarita but I think something more fruity would be appropriate.

What’s the TFFer go-to beach beverage?

Living on the west coast I'd love to tell you that margs are the best beach drink but the Miami to Key West beach bars serving all the rum runners and frozen drinks was like 1000% more fun.

Also California doesn't know how to party on the beach, don't listen to Dr Dre

Braksgirl posted:

Depends where I am, but I really like the piña coladas with the raspberry puree swirled in them. I also like a mai tai.

we can party. I'll go strawberry over raspberry but otherwise 100

and make that mai tai firehouse style with the floating 151

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What is the proper way to party on a beach, kiimo ?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

allow booze for starters

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

It's (not actually) surprising the journalist writing this article can't see the glaring difference between Zillow etc. risking their own money on home flips, vs. a real estate agent funneling listings to clients. The agent risks nothing, he just picks up his 2.5-3% commission on each sale.

Actually you're misunderstanding as well. Zillow's failed iBuyer program charged sellers from 1.5% to 9% in fees (average was 7.5%!) on top of a typical lower price compared to the market value. If the buyer was working with an agent then the seller also had to pay for the buyers' agent commission. It failed because Zillow was/is very bad at pricing homes using a fancy algorithm - in part because of COVID - and ended up with a bunch of property they paid way too much for and couldn't sell. This guy is doing the same thing but using a group of investor money and selling it. It's his risk if he improperly prices the homes too high and can't sell them for enough to make a profit. In either case, commission was being paid.

None of this is really anything new. Besides Zillow there have been other groups that have tried this. The challenge is that outside of a subset of cookie cutter homes in a very large market where you have lots of data points to draw from, it's very difficult to determine the perfect price to buy the home, sell it quickly, and make a tidy profit. Generally, this is why you'd want a human person who is familiar with that market and can actually visit the property to determine the price. Everyone wants to disrupt that process with technology but it just hasn't worked yet. Maybe the chess guy has cracked the code or perhaps has just gotten really lucky in one stable market. And since he's not going to be sharing his system anytime soon we don't know how much human input it actually uses.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 24, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

E: Got bamboozled.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 24, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Getting hammered on the beach is guatanteed to be a bad time. Drinking beers or super iced up cocktails is a must though.

Way too many people forget to hydrate in between beers. It’s honestly why i mainly drink water with a few shots every hour to buzz it up. Nice and easy wake-up the following morning.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2022/05/24/exclusive-isis-plotting-to-assassinate-george-w-bush-in-dallas/

Wow

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/your_pal_billy/status/1529119079646302208?s=21

It’s wild how many of these sanctimonious silver-spooned assholes every news outlet has on speed dial lol

Lmao it’s even worse than most of these bullshit articles.
  • High paying job from daddy.
  • Lived free at grandpa’s empty vacation house.
  • $500k gift from uncle for his home purchase.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

but he only traveled domestically what a king

Nov 6, 2002

I wanna know if the $500k gift was 500k pre or post tax. Cause I bet it's the latter.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lmao just go work at your dads hedge fund.

how was this green lit without irony attached?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kiimo posted:

but he only traveled domestically what a king

This part had me rolling.

Like, climb down off the cross there, Kyle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The one good thing about the US is that its vastness makes for every kind of vacation/destination possible. We got beaches, mountains, deserts, incredible wild life and hiking and a city literally built for fun exclusively, on top of a bunch of other fun places. So yeah, sign me up for only travelling domestically if that means I get all that poo poo in return.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

none of you are familiar with the Telegraph, i see

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2022/05/24/institutionally-racist-church-england-has-fallen-victim-institutional/

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/your_pal_billy/status/1529119079646302208?s=21

It’s wild how many of these sanctimonious silver-spooned assholes every news outlet has on speed dial lol

That goes around every once in a while. It's fake.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/telegraph-money-kyle-tweet/

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hot Diggity! posted:

That goes around every once in a while. It's fake.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/telegraph-money-kyle-tweet/

Oh boy I got got

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Actually you're misunderstanding as well. Zillow's failed iBuyer program charged sellers from 1.5% to 9% in fees (average was 7.5%!) on top of a typical lower price compared to the market value. If the buyer was working with an agent then the seller also had to pay for the buyers' agent commission. It failed because Zillow was/is very bad at pricing homes using a fancy algorithm - in part because of COVID - and ended up with a bunch of property they paid way too much for and couldn't sell. This guy is doing the same thing but using a group of investor money and selling it. It's his risk if he improperly prices the homes too high and can't sell them for enough to make a profit. In either case, commission was being paid.

None of this is really anything new. Besides Zillow there have been other groups that have tried this. The challenge is that outside of a subset of cookie cutter homes in a very large market where you have lots of data points to draw from, it's very difficult to determine the perfect price to buy the home, sell it quickly, and make a tidy profit. Generally, this is why you'd want a human person who is familiar with that market and can actually visit the property to determine the price. Everyone wants to disrupt that process with technology but it just hasn't worked yet. Maybe the chess guy has cracked the code or perhaps has just gotten really lucky in one stable market. And since he's not going to be sharing his system anytime soon we don't know how much human input it actually uses.

Did you read a different article than me? The linked article said he's a real estate broker and has moneyed clients. It does not say he directly invested, nor that he collected money from his clients to invest, and it compares his performance to that of other real estate brokers in his area. Chess Dude isn't risking his own money, unless the article severely misrepresented his business. He's an agent.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wanna know if the $500k gift was 500k pre or post tax. Cause I bet it's the latter.
The lifetime gift tax exclusion is $12.06M per person as of 2022. Gifts over $15k in a year have to be reported to the IRS, but they're untaxed until that lifetime exclusion is met. Note that this is tax on the gifter, not the giftee - you never pay tax on gifts you receive.

Weirdly, in 2026, the lifetime exclusion amount will revert back to its pre-2018 level of around $5 million per individual. So, rich people are going to want to gift to their kids/grandkids/etc. right up to the limit before then.

Also of course you can just put however much you want into a trust with your giftee as a beneficiary of the trust and avoid tax even on much larger gifts, so y'know. The gift tax is basically bullshit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Oh boy I got got

Its not like there aren't a bunch of these that are still true.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife and I met when we were 19 and I remember her telling me at the time that she wanted to be retire, or at least not be required to work in order to survive, by 40. Simpler times!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

C-Euro posted:

My wife and I met when we were 19 and I remember her telling me at the time that she wanted to be retire, or at least not be required to work in order to survive, by 40. Simpler times!

how old is she now, OP? and how close are you to that retire by 40 FIRE dream?

Nov 6, 2002

Texas school shooting.

https://twitter.com/JordanElderTV/status/1529173147957723137?t=5VYiAl0TpMMzi5oMJBkxYw&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did the James Corden / Tom Cruise video already get posted?

What a lunatic

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

Did the James Corden / Tom Cruise video already get posted?

What a lunatic

Yeah but what about Tom Cruise?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1528468138303442944?t=kVazVhmY1X0rZpHGFnfaIg&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motherfucker.

The level of anxiety I have about just sending my daughter to kindergarten in august is crippling and I cannot even loving believe that’s a sentence I have to type or an emotion I have to experience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Sure, but get a motivated tech millionaire who buys up all the cheapest rooms at Disney for like every spring break and summer weekend for the next 5 years then builds his own market to resell....? I mean, I know not all these folks are competent but this gives a lot of leeway to really gently caress some poo poo up for normal people who are working hard to afford vacations for their kids.

I really hope you're right and it seems like people woke up to NFTs a lot faster than they have to Crypto.

It might work for other resorts, but I kinda feel the moment Disney realizes a scalper is making more money off their rooms than they are is the moment that program ends.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

It might work for other resorts, but I kinda feel the moment Disney realizes a scalper is making more money off their rooms than they are is the moment that program ends.

I mean it was a hypothetical but yeah they’d either shut it down or steal the model for themselves.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I mean it was a hypothetical but yeah they’d either shut it down or steal the model for themselves.

I imagine either the Cinderella fairies or Tinkerbell branding to make your vacation magically appear. :tif:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
MI: Fallout is a fantastic movie, but the scene where Ving Rhames for some reason has to explain what's in Ethan's heart to his ex-wife (or to his current love interest, can't remember) is really emblematic of where Tom Cruise is at as an actor right now.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Gonna guess the shooter was "on law enforcements radar" again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I think she bumped it back to 50 a couple of years after that conversation.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

LeeMajors posted:

Motherfucker.

The level of anxiety I have about just sending my daughter to kindergarten in august is crippling and I cannot even loving believe that’s a sentence I have to type or an emotion I have to experience.

After Sandy Hook, I hug my kids when they leave for school every day because you just never know.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

Multiple people are dead, including several children, after an "active shooter" incident at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Multiple sources told ABC News the suspect is dead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

14 kids and a teacher dead, jesus loving christ.

https://twitter.com/LizCho7/status/1529199745364897796

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That’s really loving depressing, I’m sorry goon parents :(

Re: If I Can Do It Anyone Can house chat, I have an acquaintance who graduated and got a job at the company who’s president just so happens to be his parent’s longtime friend and neighbor and also his childhood best friend’s dad, and then he just worked full time and lived at his parents house until he was 29 and had enough saved to buy like a 300K house on his own. The best part is he’s so out of touch, whenever a house in his neighborhood goes up for sale he makes sure to alert our large group chat “In case anyones looking” and we have to remind him that he’s known us all for 20+ years and should know not a single one of us could purchase these now 450K+ house me in his neighborhood :jerkbag:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Christ

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1529201265879703553?s=21&t=cFlhf7pniXZaHUEE3J_86g

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I'm just numb to it tbh. If I let myself engage emotionally with it the right answer is to leave the country because our country has resoundingly decided we just don't care. We continue expanding access to firearms then wonder why mass shootings and gun violence continually tick up as if there's not a direct connection between the two. Not sending my kid to school or out in to the world is not an option so I have to figure out a way to do so without giving myself crippling anxiety.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 24, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don’t envy parents right now

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

My goal was just to get completely out of debt by the time I turn 40.

Retirement by 40.......:lol:

Silly Burrito posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Now is not the time to do anything about this obviously.

gently caress.

It blows my mind that Parkland and Sandy Hook can happen, and the lawmakers and citizens just shrug their loving shoulders.

So goddamn depressing :smith:

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Jesus loving Christ.

Now is not the time to do anything about this obviously.

gently caress.