Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So about the same. I won't rush to catch up.

But I think I will re-watch all of old who yet again since I have Britbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

So about the same. I won't rush to catch up.

But I think I will re-watch all of old who yet again since I have Britbox.

Never a bad idea :)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

When did Chibnall start? I really liked every season of new Who up until Jodie's run somewhere had the first season for me with more bad eps than good, or just that I remember the bad episodes from it far more than the good or medium ones. I've also liked most of the original Who I've seen and the audiobooks I've listened to. I quite like when someone does some space & time travel.

Jodie Whitaker's first season is decent and season two started fine but its finale literally was so bad it made the previous season awful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Chibnall's run has the problem that most of its good episodes are inseparable from the Timeless Child overplot, so if you hate that story for any numer of totally legitimate reasons then even its good episodes are mostly a bust.

If you want good episodes without any of that involved you're down to, like... the Rosa Parks episode, Demons of the Punjab, the King James episode, maybe the Mary Shelley episode. If you have a tolerance for that plot, then there's some real gems in there (I genuinely think I might like the last season's Angels episode more than Blink), but they're pretty much all let down by the overplot rather than elevated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I like that this sounds like something that could have conceivably been an actual theme for War on a show that aired in the late 90s. I’ve always been fond of the TV Movie theme and this really reminds me of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The announcements for the new Doctor are great and all, but personally I can't wait until we can regenerate into a new thread and I finally can stop wondering why the thread title seems to say "gay pear" every time I see it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looking forward to "Doctor Who 2023: Gay Pears of the Daleks"

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Hell yea, big ups here. This is my favorite piece Big Finish has put out and it pumps me up when it comes on in the series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I was curious about adding Classic Who to a pre-new-era full rewatch.

There's about 138 hours of modern run, almost 6 days.

About 295 hours of Classic Who, but including stuff there isn't even surviving video for. Still, adds 12 days!

The count I found for Big Finish stuff, a few years ago from someone in middle of a binge, was already almost 900 hours of stuff, 37 days but surely higher now. If you spend only half of your days watching or listening to doctor who, you can through it all in like 4 months.

The depth of Big Finish's catalog is astronomical. Even if you just stick to the monthly line, that's close to 600 hours.

I thought I'd start getting deep into Big Finish by getting stuff on sale and eventually transition to buying the box sets as they come out. Two years later and I'm nowhere near getting caught up on the stuff I'm getting on sale. I've got about 55 hours of stories to listen to before I finish what I currently have and I'm not even being indiscriminate with my purchases. The biggest chunk of that is the first two seasons of Gallifrey which someone here said they liked and it was only a few dollars so why not try it? It doesn't help that I'll listen to a big block and then put down Big Finish for a few weeks, though that just means I always have some more Doctor Who to listen to.

Currently I'm in the middle of the Tom Baker season 7 part 2 box.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You guys know a lot of BF is free on Spotify, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha I know your struggle but my few weeks sometimes turns into few years. I'll go through peiods of hoovering up any audiobooks, a couple years ago I listened to who knows how many hours worth of George Burns & Gracie Allen radio show in a couple weeks, then haven't touched the rest since.

There is comfort in knowing there will always be more Who than I can get to, between BF and the original run (and the secret unseeable episodes).

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Every so often someone posts their bf collection (on fb) and it's always shocking to me that someone can have this amount of money and decides to use it to buy this many lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've been buying BF since 1999.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As somebody who still actively embraces physical media for most of my television and film stuff, it still surprises me out when I realize people buy physical CDs of Big Finish stuff instead of just digital downloads.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I take note of people in my life who hoard physical media in case Something Happens and there's no or bad internet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, you guys have no idea. There's this one poster on Outpost Gallifrey who's (genuinely) triggered everything the idea of releases going download exclusive is floated. He gets genuinely upset by the idea, and has started to "protest" the death of physical media by posting scans of the CD booklets, with some weirdo unironic "CD Master Race" subtext going on.

He's basically a prepper, but exclusively in the medium of Doctor Who CDs. It's honestly quite sad.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 23, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Sorry, I didn't mean my post to sound as snarky as it did. Never really got to much into phycal media, I can see over time building a sizeable collection. It's just a different world for me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

All things considered, while I don't want to watch either of their worsts ever again if I can help it, I do much prefer the RTD-era bottoms over Moffat's. The worst you get from RTD is 'embarrassingly campy', but the worst you got from Moffat was 'actively reprehensible'.

Moffat episodes with RTD running the show were the peak.

Hope Jamie Mathieson gets to write a couple of episodes under RTD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, I can't believe we haven't had a Jamie Mathieson story since 2017. Maybe after they finished filming Oxygen everybody just stood around for a few minutes in silence before somebody said,"Well.... we're not topping that...."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah, I can't believe we haven't had a Jamie Mathieson story since 2017. Maybe after they finished filming Oxygen everybody just stood around for a few minutes in silence before somebody said,"Well.... we're not topping that...."

Mathieson doesn't appear to have written anything since then. That's pretty bleak.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Open Source Idiom posted:

You guys know a lot of BF is free on Spotify, right?

"A lot" is generous, to be fair. There's a decent chunk on there, but there's tons of BF stuff in general.

Listening to 8th Doctor stuff on it while at work, though, and currently listening to Horror at Glam Rock. Can't say I expected to hear Bernard Cribbins here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody who still actively embraces physical media for most of my television and film stuff, it still surprises me out when I realize people buy physical CDs of Big Finish stuff instead of just digital downloads.

I love physical media. I've had companies go, "You can no longer use the thing you bought digitally from us. No refunds. Thank you, good day." And the fragmentation of the media landscape has made it so it's often more convenient to just buy something rather than hunt down where it is available and pay for yet another service. If I buy something digitally, I only do so at a steep discount since if I'm not using up those resources to get a physical copy then you better be giving me that money back I the pricing.

That said, Big Finish is about as good as it gets for a digital store. Just straight up mp3s that you download and keep however you want. Virtually everything they've ever made is always available except a couple things where licenses got in the way. And they price things properly for digital releases. I have zero concerns or problems with giving them money for digital releases since I know if they collapsed, I could still have all of the stories I bought. I wouldn't have half the BF stuff I do if it was physical only.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The next DWM:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The next DWM:

Wish I was better at photoshop so I could add a stand behind him...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Wish I was better at photoshop so I could add a stand behind him...

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
[ D O C T O R I N D I S T R E S S ]

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The biggest chunk of that is the first two seasons of Gallifrey which someone here said they liked and it was only a few dollars so why not try it?

Gallifrey *is* fun if you like political drama and time lord shenanigans. I enjoyed most of it, but admittedly have had touble getting into the Gallifrey Time war stuff. It's just so bleak.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Every so often someone posts their bf collection (on fb) and it's always shocking to me that someone can have this amount of money and decides to use it to buy this many lol

This is sweet, honestly. Just a sick looking collection for a hobbyist with a lot of disposable income. Did they post their address by any chance, as well as any relevant alarm codes and where they hide the spare key?

e: yeah, I liked Galifrey, but it's all political palace intrigue and it does get bleak, especially for Leela

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish are also very good with the sales. I've not brought anything full price so long as you're willing to wait, and the digital downloads is excellent.

I picked up The Eighth Doctor: Time War Vol 1 in the Spring sale, and rather enjoyed it. It's interesting to hear the Eighth Doctor with his options running out, desperately trying to stop the Time War from escalating, while the sense of time running out for this body looming overhead. Rakhee Thakrar is fine as Bliss, and Jacqueline Pearce is wonderful as Ollistra again.

There's a lot of interesting ideas there, especially the existential horror of the opening episode, the amnesic dalek, The Doctor being conscripted into boot camp, even if the final episode is just...alright. I've heard Vol 2 and 3 aren't great, but 4 picks up, so I'll probably get them in a sale at some point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I picked up The Eighth Doctor: Time War Vol 1

the final episode is just...alright.

Yeah, that's the one where the reality altering superwapon (who looks like a guy) uses his powers to inveigle himself into a woman's life, eventually marrying her, and the script treats the entire thing as a tragic romance.

It's a bit yuck.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If Rusty doesn't keep Ncuti in the boob-window jacket, I will boycott the show. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was just finishing up Big Finish's original Unbound and what a weird series that is. The premise is fine, exploring stories in other paths the Doctor may have taken. The thing is half the stories don't make sense from that concept. Mostly it seems like the series exists to let other actors play the Doctor. The David Warner stories in particular are good, but don't really do anything different.

My rankings for them:
Good
A Storm of Angels - Really creepy villains that would have been great in a regular story and dropping them into the Doctor's steampunk Elizabethan England was fun.
Master of War - A distinctive Dalek story that couldn't be done in regular continuity because it contradicts so much. So much that I don't see how one change could make it, but who cares and David Warner makes for a good Doctor.

It's Fine
Deadline - Really pushes the format hard as it's what would happen if Doctor Who wasn't picked up as a television series. Jacobi is the writer of the pilot whose life is lovely. My problem here is it feels like a writer's story about how being a writer sucks and forced Doctor Who into it.
Sympathy for the Devil - The first Warner story in the line and it's a reasonable but not outstanding story that happens to have a fun idea for a setting and good use of its villain.

Didn't Care for It
Auld Mortality - If the Doctor never left Gallifrey then he wouldn't do anything. The end. There's more to it than that, but the tiny scope of this story harms it.
He Jests at Scars - The Valeyard is a jerk and then the ending is just awful.

Ugh
Exile - Some really unfunny "humor" and transphobia.
Full Fathom Five - The basic outline here would have been an awful story on its own but it goes completely toxic with the idea of exploring a "ruthless" Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

If Rusty doesn't keep Ncuti in the boob-window jacket, I will boycott the show. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Sympathy for the Devil - The first Warner story in the line and it's a reasonable but not outstanding story that happens to have a fun idea for a setting and good use of its villain.

Oh man this story is so good.

Except for the racist casting, which ironically reinforces the point it's trying to make about Doctor Who's history of cultural imperialism / western ignorance.

"Pol Pot killed every doctor he could find, and none of them were you!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
don't think anyone doctor has ever "worn" the tardis as their main motif, but wondering if a tardis window motif could work as a boob/torso window here. one of my favourite parts of new doctor isn't just the new face, but new outfit.

wanna see a shot of the tardis closet with 30 of the same Doctor outfit but a full shopping mall for companions

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man this story is so good.

Except for the racist casting, which ironically reinforces the point it's trying to make about Doctor Who's history of cultural imperialism / western ignorance.

"Pol Pot killed every doctor he could find, and none of them were you!"

100% Agree and that line kept popping into my head today as I listened to a Khmer Rouge podcast. Also, "It's Professor X night!"

I just love the worldbuilding in Sympathy for the Devil, of an Earth that didn't have The Doctor stranded there until 1997.

"I had to live through it ALL, Doctor" - a very pissed off Master. I dig the entire UNIT subplot as well...drat I gotta re-listen, it's such a brisk hour all-inclusive story. I think I listen to it the most of any of the Big Finish stuff, tbh.

Edit: Came back to spoiler that villain but realized it's the entire concept of the episode, so meh.

the Brig explaining some issues with UNIT

"You try explaining that to an MOD accountant"

This whole episode is just a blast and so quotable for me. I'll stop now ;).

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 25, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McGann posted:

100% Agree and that line kept popping into my head today as I listened to a Khmer Rouge podcast. Also, "It's Professor X night!"

I just love the worldbuilding in Sympathy for the Devil, of an Earth that didn't have The Doctor stranded there until 1997.

"I had to live through it ALL, Doctor" - a very pissed off Master. I dig the entire UNIT subplot as well...drat I gotta re-listen, it's such a brisk hour all-inclusive story. I think I listen to it the most of any of the Big Finish stuff, tbh.

Edit: Came back to spoiler that villain but realized it's the entire concept of the episode, so meh.

the Brig explaining some issues with UNIT

"You try explaining that to an MOD accountant"

This whole episode is just a blast and so quotable for me. I'll stop now ;).

I think my big problem with it was that the other threat was really boring. But, yeah, there's a lot of good stuff in that one and that might bump it up a bit. Also, really great performances in general which I forgot to mention.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

I agree but ONLY on the condition that he reveals that it's an old jacket he had in his first incarnation, because I wanna see fanart of Hartnell rocking it.

I mean, I could have said Pertwee, but that would be cheating because you KNOW he had one of those in the wardrobe somewhere.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I love how there are all the implications of things like bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, laundries etc on the TARDIS that we rarely if ever see. Would be a bad idea because it would spoil a lot of the mystery of the show, but part of me wants an episode that is just them on a lazy Sunday afternoon, hanging around as they fly through the Time Vortex doing their laundry and catching up on some reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senor Tron posted:

I love how there are all the implications of things like bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, laundries etc on the TARDIS that we rarely if ever see. Would be a bad idea because it would spoil a lot of the mystery of the show, but part of me wants an episode that is just them on a lazy Sunday afternoon, hanging around as they fly through the Time Vortex doing their laundry and catching up on some reading.

Here's the Doctor's boot cupboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR7l8R99K6g

It's not very interesting ...