Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also looking at the extra vote wiki page, this looks like the only successful extra vote that had an impact on the person eliminated. There have been other technically successful extra votes, but usually it's just extra votes on someone being elimianted, or edge cases like shan spreading out two votes as insurance against a blindside (Technically that extra vote caused the tie, but then Shan's main vote fails?? That one is weird)

:popclap: Maryanne Cred :popclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Edit chat is legit and fine but I just want to say

This season has been great
The cast is great, I love the positive post vote vibes at tribal! Real I've been bamboozled! energy

I wouldn't have guessed in a million years after the first few eps that id be rooting for Maryanne to win but here we are

Strong agree, even with all the bullshit packed in this has a great season and I really don’t see a disappointing end on the horizon, even a Romeo or Jonathan win would be the result of some crazy poo poo and I also wouldn’t totally hate either.

I love that Omar is pulling the Costanza ‘it’s not a lie if you believe it’ re: Hai.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Strong agree, even with all the bullshit packed in this has a great season and I really don’t see a disappointing end on the horizon, even a Romeo or Jonathan win would be the result of some crazy poo poo and I also wouldn’t totally hate either.

I love that Omar is pulling the Costanza ‘it’s not a lie if you believe it’ re: Hai.

The episode opens up with a montage of Romeo eating the last grain of rice, with a sudden a flash of light he's transformed into Swoleo. His ripped muscles put Jonathon to shame, and his sudden social finesse makes previous butterflies look like Russel Hantz's Nephew. He easily wins immunity, and then, upon smelling a game advantage, convinces Maryanne to give him his idol, then idols her out. He easily wins immunity again, challenges Linze to firemaking, and seconds after starting the challenge, the rope is burned and the entire tribal council area is on fire. The jury, badly burnt, weeps tears of joy as they all proclaim him the victor of all past, present, and future Survivor. Phil Keoghan shows up with a trip for two to The Turks & Caicos, and Jeff begins to turn to gold, smiling - the Fijian Survivor Legend having finally come true.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Studio posted:

Also looking at the extra vote wiki page, this looks like the only successful extra vote that had an impact on the person eliminated. There have been other technically successful extra votes, but usually it's just extra votes on someone being elimianted, or edge cases like shan spreading out two votes as insurance against a blindside (Technically that extra vote caused the tie, but then Shan's main vote fails?? That one is weird)

:popclap: Maryanne Cred :popclap:

Maryanne, the GOAT strategist? :popclap:

Also I imagine she probably got annoying in the first week or so for Survivors. But her positivity would probably be pretty welcomed after 3+ weeks of everyone being miserable...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Studio posted:

Apparently one of the reasons Purple Kelly voted for him was because he would lend her his jacket to keep her warm :kimchi:

Purple Kelly was specifically casted to be eyecandy that season. And as a part of that, they only approved for her (remember, Survivor approves your wardrobe) a thin jacket that was very, very not suited for the weather out there.

She lasted much longer than production expected her to, but the weather got to her to the point that she quit.

Fabio lending her her jacket was basically her saving grace out there, because casting didn't want the bikini babes to dress sensibly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Purple Kelly was specifically casted to be eyecandy that season. And as a part of that, they only approved for her (remember, Survivor approves your wardrobe) a thin jacket that was very, very not suited for the weather out there.

She lasted much longer than production expected her to, but the weather got to her to the point that she quit.

Fabio lending her her jacket was basically her saving grace out there, because casting didn't want the bikini babes to dress sensibly.

I blame that on that season being squarely in the second era of Survivor. The first era of Survivor, they centered casting on trying to recast certain character types that worked well for them, mostly using season 1 as the model. They'd try and find a crotchety old man with a heart of gold like Rudy, or America's sweetheart like Colleen. Everybody had a role to play on the show, but the new versions of Rudy or Colleen were rarely as successful as the originals.

As the ratings began to wane, they decided at some point that the only reason why people were still watching the show was to see hot people on the beach. This is when they began moving away from casting based on people applying to the show, and relying heavily on recruiting. And a large amount of who they recruited were aspiring actors and models. People who weren't necessarily interested in the show, but saw it as a chance for fame, or at least a paycheck and a vacation. Some of them did well (Parvati, Fabio), but most were simply just there.

Eventually they started casting superfans, bringing us into the new era where everyone is constantly worried about making big moves, and thinking about their resume at the end of the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what they should do is conscript people randomly from the population, that way we get an even representative spread of all archetypes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory corporate selective service

Sounds disturbingly plausible

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Here's some terrible news about the future

Jeff posted:

When we say this is a new era of the game, we mean it. We are establishing new markers. So things like small tribes, earn the merge, no food, risk/reward dilemmas, Shot In The Dark, are here to stay. Other specific twists will come and go depending on the season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

None of what you quoted is per se bad

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

Some of it is good, some of its bad. The risk/reward dilemmas have been a little too complicated the last couple of seasons, and they spend too much time just trying to explain what they mean.

I like the reduced food though, winning food rewards just allowed certain tribes or individuals to keep winning food rewards, carrying them to the end.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I agree the execution in a lot of them has been lacking, but the core concepts are sound

The only thing I hated was the long goofy phrases. Even then, the central idea is fine, but a single word would be sufficient.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I'm still not sure about the Do or Die game, though I can see it forcing strategic plays but it seems like such a rude move against players.

I actually really like Shot in the Dark, it helps prevent the hopelessness of a tribe blatantly against a single person. I always hated scenes where a player was treated like poo poo or struggled against a brick wall of players who wouldn't even talk. Now they have to at least pretend to talk else risk a SITD. - and it has a very low chance of actually working, so far maybe once?

not a fan of SUCH goofy phrases, but I liked the change this season where Mike could've kept it secret. Had he done so (and didn't show his tribe), then he would've went into the merge with a secret idol and knowing 2 other idol-havers.

I loved the idol trapped in red paint. That's the kind of "Beware" I love most. Force a player to think quick or the advantage can turn to a target, rather than just force a huge-game mechanic punishment like losing a vote until X-happens. It makes the players play harder and only being punished for failing to play well. Rather than playing around random punishments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Shot in the Dark is dumb gambling, but I like the idea of ditching your vote for self-interest defense. The risk/rewards need more work to be interesting, maybe they'll work their way through other game theory wikipedia pages.

No food haven't noticed, they've deemphasized camplife for so many seasons they could be getting mcdonalds or being totally starved and we'd never know.

Small Tribes is good but they've always kind of bounced around with that aspect I feel. I like em small since less chance for snowball big alliances that just steamroll a squad through to the end with minimal intrigue. worst winners are someone from big alliance, relative-bit-player from the alliance, and a "goat." Doesn't feel fair to me to even call that a goat since in a season with that kind of snoozer play going on, being perceived as their goat is the best strategy to reach the end.

i think if they're doing the small tribe hungry gang thing, just give us an auction, seems like it could be more impactful if you got hungry folks without big cushion alliances.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

The Bloop posted:

I think "earn the merge" refers to the hourglass and that's objectively terrible. Honestly, I'm at peace with the rest. Especially if the Knowledge is Power falls into the come-and-go category.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hourglass was something else and so was do or die

I don't like either that much but don't super hate either one

Do or die at least has a complete opt out and the hourglass just lets people who just ate do a challenge, big whoop

The main reason I don't like either is it makes one person too important. Tribe decisions are supposed to be tribe decisions. Idols are a monkeywrench but putting it completely in one person's hands is imo against the spirit

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
No more twists
Show camp life
Emphasize social game
Ban the word resume
TIA

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

More twists. More advantages. Extra Extra Votes, where you give other players Extra Votes. Individual Immunity Nullifiers, and Individual Immunity Nullifier Nullifiers. BRING IT ALL

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Give everyone a HII at the beginning of the game, no more to be found.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Give everyone a HII at the beginning of the game, no more to be found.

This, but everyone is told that theirs is the only one

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

This, but everyone is told that theirs is the only one

No one can keep a secret in modern survivor

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’ve never understood why they didn’t bring back the auction but only have food rewards. They could even tell the players off camera that Jeff isn’t messing this time and there really isn’t an advantage so spend your money.

Jeff seems to be annoyed that someone worked out how he gave out letters from home and took his ball home for 10 seasons :confuoot:

Some decisions are just so bizarre. Production loves twists but also refuses to vary any of the challenges.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dugong posted:

.... Production loves twists but also refuses to vary any of the challenges.

If you haven't yet, maybe check out Survivor Austrailia. The challenge engineers for AUS make the US production crew look like a bunch of first years.

I'm on my last season of AUS Survivor (s1 because I started on s2 and went forward). I've said this before, but it's by far the better show at this point.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

If you haven't yet, maybe check out Survivor Austrailia. The challenge engineers for AUS make the US production crew look like a bunch of first years.

I'm on my last season of AUS Survivor (s1 because I started on s2 and went forward). I've said this before, but it's by far the better show at this point.

I started to watch Australian Survivor, but found it kind of exhausting. They're out there for something like 50 days, and there are something like 25 episodes per season. There were several episodes where nobody went home. I ended up skipping the last few episodes and went straight to the final tribal council. I started season 2, and was like, nah, this is enough Survivor for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dugong posted:

Jeff seems to be annoyed that someone worked out how he gave out letters from home and took his ball home for 10 seasons :confuoot:

Huh?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've always told my fam that if I was ever on Survivor, I would throw my letter from home directly into the fire to show Jeff how hardcore and committed to The Game I am. No distractions!

Just once I'd like to see someone do it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

IIRC when someone won the bid for their letter from home, he would typically let anyone else buy theirs as well at that price. So someone told the group in the middle of the auction "hey let's just bid $20 and then we can all get our letters for super cheap" and instead of re-examining the rules of the auction to keep it interesting, they just axed it entirely.

Which is too bad, they just let gamebots ruin a fun part of the show rather than just change the rules a little bit. I don't think they even need to remove advantages entirely, just hide them inside your meatball sub or taped to the inside of a shower stall or something

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Just tell them there is an advantage, and then sell nothing but food. Resume stackers go hungry, everyone else gets to eat something nice.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nexous posted:

Just tell them there is an advantage, and then sell nothing but food. Resume stackers go hungry, everyone else gets to eat something nice.

Food is the advantage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

IIRC when someone won the bid for their letter from home, he would typically let anyone else buy theirs as well at that price. So someone told the group in the middle of the auction "hey let's just bid $20 and then we can all get our letters for super cheap" and instead of re-examining the rules of the auction to keep it interesting, they just axed it entirely.

Which is too bad, they just let gamebots ruin a fun part of the show rather than just change the rules a little bit. I don't think they even need to remove advantages entirely, just hide them inside your meatball sub or taped to the inside of a shower stall or something

yeah there's infinite ways to revise the auction, or to on the fly decide, nah not making that offer. do an auction with no advantages to gently caress with people who held off or are trying to be pro gamers. i hate letters from home personally though, wouldn't want one if I were there. definitely don't ever wanna see em as a viewer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Auction pro move was always just big everything on a good item and auto win it

I thought they may actually have something more interesting starting with the fire tokens but nah

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm a World's Apart fan so I'm glad it's continued its legacy of loving Up, well after it aired

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Looking forward to this. Last season I didn’t care at all but this one has been good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

:lol: at the jury throwing up their hands when Romeo threw his fake idol into the fire. Also their stunned faces when he walked in the next time with immunity

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

Auction pro move was always just big everything on a good item and auto win it
That’s an even more fun move when there’s so much good poo poo that you can buy multiple items but you just go all in on one.

And yeah just remove 100% of the advantages from the auction, or just tuck some trinkets into the food. It’s fine. Jeff killing one of the all-time most iconic challenges is so stupid, you gotta think they bring it back for a triumphant return eventually??

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hai accusing someone of “gaslighting” him for lying in Survivor?? Weird way to frame that

Fast Luck posted:

Drea's words about Omar were more damaging than I thought. Mike I think still somehow might think of himself as loyal but man, right after Omar saves him and gives him his idol back he immediately turns on him, if he tries to argue loyalty in front of the jury he's going down in flames.
Oh I called a thing. Mike did a good job eventually pivoting on this in the later stages of FTC but maybe too late? Looks like Maryanne

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Hai accusing someone of “gaslighting” him for lying in Survivor?? Weird way to frame that

Oh I called a thing. Mike did a good job eventually pivoting on this in the later stages of FTC but maybe too late? Looks like Maryanne

The youths do love the word gaslighting

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SweetJahasus posted:

The hazards of writing up a huge post in notepad on a laptop when you're exhausted. Think I fixed them all.

Pony: Maryanne
Poison: Jonathan

Holy poo poo I actually didn't pick someone who immediately got voted out for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I missed the entire episode because I was at a concert tonight, but I got home just in time to watch them read the votes. Maryanne was nowhere near the top of my list, but after my favorites got knocked out one after another, and after last week, Maryanne quickly shot to the top of my list. Granted, again, I missed the entire episode, but before tonight, Lindsay was too invisible, Romeo did nothing, and Mike and Jonathan were strategic dunces. I'm very happy with this outcome given the final 6.