Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Early results in Georgia have Kemp absolutely destroying Perdue and Raffensperger just barely above 50% to avoid a runoff. Likely lots of Democrats opting into the Republican races as they have an open primary system.

So though they're Republicans, they really suck, and Democrats would be miles better, they're unlikely to flip and become coupers in 2024. Donnie basically went 0fer in Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't comprehend how people who know children may die do nothing and also that a segment of our society thinks that's fine and they're worthy of veneration. No words for this poo poo. gently caress police, the biggest group of cowards there is

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The CTE candidate.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1529281988158541825?s=21&t=aNEcQPDxBkydR3ibSjjlrA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat, he's a shoe-in

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm well aware the failings of the police, particularly the Baltimore County flavor who would out right say poo poo like they could bash our heads in, that they wouldn't help us in a school shooting, and telling my mother to have me murder her ex bf next time he shows up ("he's a kid. Just break a window and call me")

The new show We Own This City has cops like that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The new show We Own This City has cops like that.

I have several friends boycotting it because of their experiences- they don't want to watch them happen again, even on TV.

I had a bunch of run ins with BaltCo. My favorite was when they tried to arrest an 11 kid.
The kid being the victim of an assault with a tire iron by some rear end in a top hat who felt we couldn't skate in front of our own house.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Brendelbored/status/1529299221039484928

Vote plz? 🥺 Blue no matter who? 🥺

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/anayelinews/status/1529276451152969733?s=21&t=h-3AGruwepy84arvyPTuZw

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apparently the right started posting pictures of a trans woman that wasn't the shooter as the shooter. And the NY Post went ahead and ran with it of course. Good thing you can just do that and it's fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fknlo posted:

Apparently the right started posting pictures of a trans woman that wasn't the shooter as the shooter. And the NY Post went ahead and ran with it of course. Good thing you can just do that and it's fine.

This will go to court as defamation, but the plaintiff will lose because the defendant is a billionaire and the jury foreman owns two newsstands.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have several friends boycotting it because of their experiences- they don't want to watch them happen again, even on TV.

I had a bunch of run ins with BaltCo. My favorite was when they tried to arrest an 11 kid.
The kid being the victim of an assault with a tire iron by some rear end in a top hat who felt we couldn't skate in front of our own house.

Boycotting as in not gonna watch "because it hits too close to home due to personal experience", or because of "it glorifies lovely cops", or how do you mean?
The former I can absolutely empathize with. Some of the poo poo shown is genuinely infuriating...more than I can say I've ever experience while watching actual acting on a show ever. The never-ending "getting away with it" that is literally built into the system, the promotion of the shittiest of "bad apples" (lol jesus christ at that even), the organized internal push-back in the face of the lovely system publicly getting exposed (that loving @all email), and good loving lord, that IAD "prank" of Jenkins' supervisor/CO.

The latter...I'd have trouble understanding, because the show really emphasizes how lovely of a human being the actual perpetrators are and how completely comfortable those complicit with their actions are. I guess I'd get the criticism of some characters in leadership positions coming off as "not as bad, because that's just the lovely system they're serving in and hand they were dealt, etc.".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Death toll up to 19 now, jesus loving christ :cripes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/texas-school-shooting-ulveda-victims-latest-b2086722.html

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

stealie72 posted:

The police. From numeral cypher for ACAB (1312).

I believe referring to cops as 12 actually comes from Black Atlantan culture and theres like 300 theories as to how the nickname came about (i can assure you it predates ACAB becoming common n lexicon). Just as Fuckboy started off as FuckNword and came from Black Florida and Georgia culture, but then got mainstream and used to refer to something completely different (men who are chauvinistic toward women?)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Boycotting as in not gonna watch "because it hits too close to home due to personal experience", or because of "it glorifies lovely cops", or how do you mean?
The former I can absolutely empathize with. Some of the poo poo shown is genuinely infuriating...more than I can say I've ever experience while watching actual acting on a show ever. The never-ending "getting away with it" that is literally built into the system, the promotion of the shittiest of "bad apples" (lol jesus christ at that even), the organized internal push-back in the face of the lovely system publicly getting exposed (that loving @all email), and good loving lord, that IAD "prank" of Jenkins' supervisor/CO.

The latter...I'd have trouble understanding, because the show really emphasizes how lovely of a human being the actual perpetrators are and how completely comfortable those complicit with their actions are. I guess I'd get the criticism of some characters in leadership positions coming off as "not as bad, because that's just the lovely system they're serving in and hand they were dealt, etc.".

Boycott might be the wrong word. They just have no desire to watch their lives fictionalized, from what I gather.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, that's entirely understandable. This show is getting me enraged as a protected and privileged deutschbag, I cannot fathom how seeing that poo poo must be if one was on the business end of it

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 25, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

E: nm

psydude fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 25, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

This will go to court as defamation, but the plaintiff will lose because the defendant is a billionaire and the jury foreman owns two newsstands.

Well that or they hire Lin Wood.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The only rhetorical space left for these right wing death cultists is to keep their heads down and mumble about thoughts and prayers or have more guns everywhere all the time.

Looking forward to the implementation of the idea that every teacher has to be a soldier. They can't say anything else and stay in the cult. Someone is going to do it eventually and like everything else these insane whack jobs do there will be shock at the insanity, outrage about nobody in power doing anything to stop it, then resigned acceptance of the new normal.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Those teachers better not have blue hair, unions, a same sex spouse, or ask for more pay though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Here I am being dumb enough to read articles saying he was engaged before going into the school, 20 cops were on scene yet 21 are dead and hoping this could result in outcry or reform about police being cowards

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

Here I am being dumb enough to read articles saying he was engaged before going into the school, 20 cops were on scene yet 21 are dead and hoping this could result in outcry or reform about police being cowards

Yeah, but he was wearing a plate carrier! There wasn’t a plate in it, but better wait for the swat guys just to be safe!

The guy who said gently caress it and went in and stopped it was apparently the border patrol version of swat but didn’t wait around for more people to show up. Dudes a hero and anyone else there is a complete loving coward.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

The guy who said gently caress it and went in and stopped it was apparently the border patrol version of swat but didn’t wait around for more people to show up. Dudes a hero and anyone else there is a complete loving coward.
:agreed:

Yeah, that dude did exactly what one is supposed to do.

I mean look at what the NYPD was training back even in 2010.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704138604576029860668093114

Granted this seems more like the scale of a Batman villain then terrorists, but it gives a good overview of how different tactics are, even in 2010.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 25, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well that or they hire Lin Wood.

That too, but II’m not sure that anyone will let him practice law at this point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

That too, but II’m not sure that anyone will let him practice law at this point.

I still have no idea how Lin Wood even wound up repping the person. Like you couldn't find anyone else who was barred in CA?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but none of the articles I've read say a word about how police hosed up and through inaction let children die.

Cool.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The rep for that part of texas, Tony Gonzales(R), is showing how big of a piece of poo poo he can be on CBS This Morning. I had to mute half the drat interview to keep from punching my tv fruitlessly.

"I'm not here to talk policy" is going to be repeated by every republican that turns up on tv today.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but none of the articles I've read say a word about how police hosed up and through inaction let children die.

Cool.

That would be the first time.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

Cool.

We dont want to politicize the fact that cops are not "good guys"

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Because it’s coming out this allegedly wasn’t true- Feds are saying that there wasn’t a pursuit of shooter and it wasn’t until he crashed, and exited vehicle, that the PD was called for the crash, and a “man with gun” exiting said crashed vehicle.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

Yeah, but he was wearing a plate carrier! There wasn’t a plate in it, but better wait for the swat guys just to be safe!

I went thru a Fletc program years ago(2015) and we did like 80+ hours of active shooter. BP follows same training guidelines at Artesia as we did at Glynco.
He followed his training- that said it’s coming out that there wasn’t an engagement by local LEOs leading up to him entering school.
I wouldn’t lay this at the lap of the locals just yet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tiny Timbs posted:

Like cole pointed out, the police unions are the actual obstacle here. States and localities are clearly able to decide what their own law enforcement officers are required to do but you can see what happens when they try to do something the unions aren't a fan of.

Weird how the only effective union is the best armed one.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dingleberry posted:

I went thru a Fletc program years ago(2015) and we did like 80+ hours of active shooter. BP follows same training guidelines at Artesia as we did at Glynco.
He followed his training- that said it’s coming out that there wasn’t an engagement by local LEOs leading up to him entering school.
I wouldn’t lay this at the lap of the locals just yet.

Just out of curiosity- did I describe the current TTP incorrectly from your training?

I never went through federal LE training or anything, but have some training and a lot of studies in the field, and always want to learn more.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

We know the motive/background of the shooter yet?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dingleberry posted:

Because it’s coming out this allegedly wasn’t true- Feds are saying that there wasn’t a pursuit of shooter and it wasn’t until he crashed, and exited vehicle, that the PD was called for the crash, and a “man with gun” exiting said crashed vehicle.

Yesterday locals were saying that there was a pursuit and engagement before he went into the school. I get that there can be a lot of misinformation early on with this kind of stuff but it’s pretty hard to walk that back.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I'm totally okay with firearms being strictly regulated or licensed like cars are *in a society that is actually a direct democracy without massive capital concentrations that get to control policy*
Uhh... I've got bad news about just how strictly regulated cars are.

Regulations around both cars and guns suffer the same core problem: the initial licensing requirements are little more than hoops to jump through and there exists minimal mechanism and even less will to remove the dangerous machine from access by someone who is unambiguously a danger to everyone around them. A dangerous driver can rack up dozens of citations for speeding in school zones or make posts about their desire to grind protesters to a bloody mush beneath their tires with zero followup until they turn a gaggle of hi-viz-clad, hand-holding kindergartners into roadkill. And even then are often given ludicrous leniency, if not outright enablement. Though red flag laws are advancing some for guns state-by-state, follow through is still heavily dependent on locality, such that some fucker posting videos of self-harm and making explicit threats might not be taken seriously.

If we want to make it harder for 18-year-olds wearing body armor and wielding assault rifles to slaughter 4th graders, we need to pursue proactive regulation and enforcement now, not wait until we've otherwise achieved utopia. A dastardly fascist government will deprive vulnerable groups of their rights regardless of whether they have existing, well-intentioned laws to subvert to their agenda. Fight for the future we want to see across the board, don't just leave out a critical component because it might have minor utility to the baddies if we've already lost.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Rasputin posted:

We know the motive/background of the shooter yet?

Reportedly his primary target was his mother, who was a teacher there.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cythereal posted:

Reportedly his primary target was his mother, who was a teacher there.

Still a whole lot of weird information flying around - apparently the police chase was bullshit.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529437091066691585

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529437095240126464

The WaPo link I posted way earlier (and likely lost since it's repeatedly getting updated) had one of his friends quoted as the shooter starting to act really, really odd lately.

Edit: https://www.theonion.com/

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 25, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Still a whole lot of weird information flying around - apparently the police chase was bullshit.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529437091066691585

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529437095240126464

The WaPo link I posted way earlier (and likely lost since it's repeatedly getting updated) had one of his friends quoted as the shooter starting to act really, really odd lately.

Edit: https://www.theonion.com/

This is incredibly strange.

What was the deal with that pickup in the ditch that was allegedly the shooters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So were the reports of officers getting shot inaccurate as well or did they shoot each other after the fact?