Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Idk off chance he lands in Phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe fans in Pittsburgh will stop going again when they don't have a generational talent and they'll need to reach the cap floor!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1529173098699931648?s=20&t=GjfElQMBr86t4Ns3PMDNtg

Former blogger Cam Charron, if I remember, was actually hired way back under Nonis. Or possibly Shanahan, but definitely pre-Lamoriello.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

I'm getting my hip redone like Tyler Seguin and Sean Monahan and I can't even fuckin plant potatoes

I chuckled slightly while reading this in Jared Keeso's voice.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Cam was hired “under” Nonis but was pretty clearly Shanahan stepping in and saying “you need an analytics department”

Paliafito is interesting, the Leafs already fired the two guys he was the boss of last year (Directors of Pro and Amateur scouting, respectively) so it certainly seems like they’re not happy with the talent that’s been coming in. Nor should they be.

I do wonder if this is the beginning of the end of their random KHL guy pipeline, he was supposed to be a big part of that and if Ilya Mikheyev is the biggest success story of burning a roster spot every year it’s pretty clearly not a competitive advantage.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
whoa whoa whoa torts interviewed with the flyers?

e: I think Torts is a better coach than SAS thinks he is and would probably make the flyers respectable
I just don't think he's the coach that takes a talented team and gets them to the finish line

Levitate fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 25, 2022

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm secretly claiming the first Alberta offseason post in this thread: Oilers suck.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Levitate posted:

whoa whoa whoa torts interviewed with the flyers?

e: I think Torts is a better coach than SAS thinks he is and would probably make the flyers respectable
I just don't think he's the coach that takes a talented team and gets them to the finish line

I give you the 2016 Team USA ..I guess the wikipedia entry should suffice:

"Tortorella was tapped to coach Team USA at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. In the lead-up to the tournament, he said he would "sit" any player who protests during the playing of the national anthem.[29] The team ultimately failed to make it out of the group stage, losing all three games.[30]"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/A7o7yrI.mp4
That’s a bowling ball.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/jclarknbcs/status/1529209056334082048

lol even Torts doesn't want the job

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lmao, wonder how long into the interview it took before he said to himself “hell no.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

My man did you see the flyers power play this year

1/31 would have been an improvement

I think more of a “it seems impossible they went from one of the best power plays in the league, to 1/31 with that roster, how does that happen?”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/sethrorabaugh/status/1529417162435215361?s=21&t=4k22tqkfOzA0GwnPvIC0Cg

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aren't the flyers pretty broken and heading for a few years of rebuilding? I guess torts could be a good, uh, distraction to take heat off the team. That said, feels like a promote and internal guy to caretaker for a while kind of situation imo.

I just want to see him clash with the Toronto media on the regular :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1529281147317780480?t=6UoIuLq_AvTN9tQ0EIDhsQ&s=19

Irritated that this article doesn't explain or at least link to why that unanimously voted to end any discussions of collaboration with the PHF. Do they just think they have the better business model?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1529281147317780480?t=6UoIuLq_AvTN9tQ0EIDhsQ&s=19

Irritated that this article doesn't explain or at least link to why that unanimously voted to end any discussions of collaboration with the PHF. Do they just think they have the better business model?

I think at this point there are non repairable disputes between the two parties.

I would have to look back for every detail, but in general the members of the PWHPA refuse to work with the PHF (reminder: formerly NWHL) for a Bunch of reasons:

-the PHF paid very little at first, and in one of the early seasons def suddenly cut pay and that was of course not well received

-PHF has had a bunch of leadership changes and issues.

-PHF does not have the pay, healthcare and facility support that the players feel they should have.

-I would stats, in general there’s a reason the PHF had to rebrand the entire league name, so yeah, there’s some issues there.

Here’s an article with a quote:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2021/11/09/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/PHF.aspx

Chair of the Olympic-level women of the PWHPA Jayna Hefford says for now that answer is “no.” Hefford said, “Our wants, asks, needs -- whatever you want to call them -- have not really changed. ... That there’s a living wage. We don’t think that exists anywhere right now. Health benefits is critical to us, especially to our players in the United States.”

So looking at it, the PWHPA, which is basically the entirety of team Canada , team USA, a good majority of the top womens players, have been and are continuing to refuse to join with the PHF because of organization issues, pay, healthcare, facilities etc. and honestly , it seems like trust has been broken enough times where they just on principle don’t trust the PHF and do not like the PHF.

I thought it could come together, but at this point it def seems as a hard no.

My honest bet is if the PWPHA does succeed in establishing a 10 team league, over the next few years they’ll probably siphon off the players playing in the PHF and the PHF probably won’t survive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Pens' love affair with him was odd. Useful player but they kept re-signing him endlessly only to always keep him as basically a WBS call-up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
People always act like Torts is this terrible coach that blights every franchise that hires him and I don't get it. His track record is clear, aside from stealing some of the Aquilinis' money every team he goes to improves quickly and stays improved for 2-3 years. Then everyone gets sick of him and he has to be fired, rinse and repeat.

He is the practically perfect hire for a down and out franchise, as long as you know you gotta fire him at the first sign of staleness, not wait for him to poison the poo poo out of the franchise first.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cocaine Bear posted:

Aren't the flyers pretty broken and heading for a few years of rebuilding? I guess torts could be a good, uh, distraction to take heat off the team. That said, feels like a promote and internal guy to caretaker for a while kind of situation imo.

I just want to see him clash with the Toronto media on the regular :allears:

They're an AHL team and worse than their draft position indicates. Many of the promising young kids either regressed (Konecny), haven't really taken a step forward (Farabee), or are super injury prone (Allison).

Couturier's contract will be an albatross for years to come and Hayes isn't worth what he's paid and has four years left. Hart is fine to use as a starter while they're bad because who cares, but he has huge flaws in his game and despite still being very young I don't ever see him growing into even a top ten goalie.

They're going to be very, very bad for a long while unless a miracle coach suddenly makes them all good (this will not happen). Other teams have gone through full rebuild cycles in the 4-5 years the Flyers have bounced up and down between somehow getting into the playoffs despite ten game losing streaks and being absolute dogshit bottom of the barrel garbage.

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 25, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

They're an AHL team and worse than their draft position indicates. Many of the promising young kids either regressed (Konecny), haven't really taken a step forward (Farabee), or are super injury prone (Allison).

Couturier's contract will be an albatross for years to come and Hayes isn't worth what he's paid and has four years left. Hart is fine to use as a starter while they're bad because who cares, but he has huge flaws in his game and despite still being very young I don't ever see him growing into even a top ten goalie.

They're going to be very, very bad for a long while unless a miracle coach suddenly makes them all good (this will not happen). Other teams have gone through full rebuild cycles in the 4-5 years the Flyers have bounced up and down between somehow getting into the playoffs despite ten game losing streams and being absolute dogshit bottom of the barrel garbage.

The Flyers are a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just imagine it went:

“Hi, I’m John.”
-“Hi, I’m Chuck. I like big contracts and I cannot lie. The other GMs can’t deny. With a big signing bonus and a little daily wage..”
“… I’ll just go back to having to talk about chicken parm on the TV.”

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1529295792153841664?s=21

taj has some other quotes on his twitter, all basically saying miller is gone this off-season. trader jim knows bedard is the key baby let's go this is the season the canucks finally get first overall! my hopes are sky high! [through tears] bahahaha

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Interesting, thanks! Very interested to see where this goes

poo poo, put a team in Philly, I'm happy to root for another team regardless of sport/league :tastykake:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1529295792153841664?s=21

taj has some other quotes on his twitter, all basically saying miller is gone this off-season. trader jim knows bedard is the key baby let's go this is the season the canucks finally get first overall! my hopes are sky high! [through tears] bahahaha

Surely years of being a Canucks fan has taught you to never get your hopes up about anything for any reason ever.

Miller and Horvat will be signing eight year extensions the first day they are eligible.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
they're gonna trade horvat and make miller captain

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

People always act like Torts is this terrible coach that blights every franchise that hires him and I don't get it. His track record is clear, aside from stealing some of the Aquilinis' money every team he goes to improves quickly and stays improved for 2-3 years. Then everyone gets sick of him and he has to be fired, rinse and repeat.

He is the practically perfect hire for a down and out franchise, as long as you know you gotta fire him at the first sign of staleness, not wait for him to poison the poo poo out of the franchise first.

Agreed, he was a really big part of the Rangers resurgence after 2005/The Dark Years.

E: except for his hatred of Zucc, which was very very dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torts is a loud rear end in a top hat with poo poo opinions but he gets results for a few years until those 2 things turn everyone on the team against him.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
this off season where we let Johnny walk for nothing and sign Matt Tkachuk to a giant stupid contract that is going to be immediately regrettable is going to be so great

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

they're gonna trade horvat and make miller captain

Horvat and Miller are at pretty comparable ages. I don't think signing either of them to a giant extension is the best idea unless they take a huge discount. For some reason everyone is talking like Horvat is a year or two older than Hughes and Miller is a couple years from retirement.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

Horvat and Miller are at pretty comparable ages. I don't think signing either of them to a giant extension is the best idea unless they take a huge discount. For some reason everyone is talking like Horvat is a year or two older than Hughes and Miller is a couple years from retirement.

horvat is one of the most overrated players in the league. he's got the reputation of being just a little worse than joe sakic or steve yzerman but he plays like a budget brendan morrison

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Uhh who says that about Bo Horvat outside of radio call in callers?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

(in subtitles) This is what Vancouver fans actually believe

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't think anyone (aside from the truly delusional) in Vancouver sees Horvat as anything other than a decent 2nd line centre. He was drafted by the team so people are connected to him, but I don't think there would be too many tears shed if he left.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Interesting, thanks! Very interested to see where this goes

poo poo, put a team in Philly, I'm happy to root for another team regardless of sport/league :tastykake:

Yeah, and for Women’s hockey its def a chicken and egg thing for funding and setup.

What comes first: crowds that pay for the costs, or funding before knowing what your market is, etc.

Same with players: in Olympic hockey there’s a huge gap between US/Canada and the rest, and it’s mostly because the former teams have year round funding / training, and the others don’t.

It should be the latter, and the NHL should be the leader, but obviously the NHL is refusing to really step in with the excuse of not wanting to choose a league.

US vs Canada Olympic final got great ratings , but we do have to point out that it’s one game 4 years in the making, so obviously that’s not what every game will get. That said, I do think with the right approach they can have a sustainable league.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think anyone (aside from the truly delusional) in Vancouver sees Horvat as anything other than a decent 2nd line centre. He was drafted by the team so people are connected to him, but I don't think there would be too many tears shed if he left.

I mean, he was hailed as the saviour when he got called up (As they do with any prospect) and fairly quickly made captain, but yeah, he's nothing more than decent.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens' love affair with him was odd. Useful player but they kept re-signing him endlessly only to always keep him as basically a WBS call-up.

Was extremely odd. I always thought he was noticable in a really good way on the 3rd pairing, but he definitely had difficulty with transitions at the NHL level and Sullivan has his preferences and Riikola definitely wasn't one of them to the point of playing Friedman on the off-side. Have to think it's a make or break camp for PoJ too. No Riikola means a bit more space for a lefty and a bit further up the depth chart. Of course all of this could swiftly change with Letang, UFA, and tra.....yeah not that one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

Matt Zerella posted:

Agreed, he was a really big part of the Rangers resurgence after 2005/The Dark Years.

E: except for his hatred of Zucc, which was very very dumb.

He's a coach who took a franchise that had done (this space intentionally left blank) up to 2015-16 and catapulted them to:
-50 wins the following season, 16 of which were consecutive.
-Three consecutive playoff appearances, the third of which was and still is the last time the Lightning were bounced from the playoffs.
-A fourth consecutive playoff appearance when nobody said they'd get in after Bread hosed off to New York, :cop: hosed off to get someone to pay him $10M, and Matt Duchene hosed off because they didn't actually offer him a new contract (and they had to win their way in and should've beaten Tronnah in 4).
-Coached 31 playoff games, and the fact that they've played in 41 in their history is somewhat unfathomable to me because that number feels like it should be lower (Richards 6, Hitchcock 4).

He was coach for roughly a third of the team's wins in their entire history, has 100 more wins than any other coach (Todd Richards, 127), and has 9 wins fewer than 7 other CBJ coaches combined (Dave King, Gerard Gallant, Scott Arniel, Brad Larsen (who admittedly is a work in progress but is off to a decent start), Doug MacLean, Claude Noel, Gary Agnew).

He also did stuff like eliminating curfews and morning skates as long as the team was doing well and, as Eric said, once he got stale last season, they cut him loose, but at least for his sake he's improved to "Hey, you did a nice job, but we're not renewing you.".

e- TL;DR- He's still got it for the right situation. I said early on my appreciation of him was a revocable license if he became a dick, but I have very little bad to say about him in hindsight other than him bungling his usage of Laine last year (and thank Christ he bounced back under new guidance).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 25, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I mean, he was hailed as the saviour when he got called up (As they do with any prospect) and fairly quickly made captain, but yeah, he's nothing more than decent.

Its been nice to see his growth but he never became the ROR type we were promised. He's a decent scoring centre who is quick in a straight line but lacks high end mobility. He's very good at faceoffs but inconsistent defensively and isn't a strong penalty killer. He doesn't have much of a physical streak but he excels in tight on the powerplay as the bumper.

He's a good player but most teams have someone pretty comparable. If there was a serious offer on the table for him in exchange for a top 4 D or a couple young assets the team should probably take it and move on. No idea who the next captain would be if he and Miller go, but that's a pretty minor issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

No idea who the next captain would be if he and Miller go, but that's a pretty minor issue.

jake virtanen