Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone bother with AIO in a Torrent? It not having the top space for a rad seems like not a great use case and a big noctua or be quiet dark rock would probably be a better choice. You could put the rad on the front or bottom (or back if it is a smaller one) but seems less optimal.

I really like the fans on the bottom that would blow onto the gpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think you would want to put the rad at the bottom if the pump for the AIO is at the CPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stick with a tower cooler, yeah. You CAN swap the front fans to the bottom and then use a 360mm AIO on the front, but you're sorta just having to toss aside the three 140mm fans the thing ships with and I'm not sure if the thermal performance will be that much better.

You DO NOT want to put an AIO on the bottom unless it's one of the ones with the pump in the radiator or the tubing. With most AIOs, that would place the pump at the top of the loop, and that will cause it to deteriorate much more quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah makes sense. How is the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 regarded compared to the DH15? Looks like an interesting alternative. Probably was the reason noctua made a black DH15 too :haw:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is the i5 12400 the way to go now rather than a 5600X? Sorry if that is a loaded fanboy question.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

priznat posted:

Yeah makes sense. How is the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 regarded compared to the DH15? Looks like an interesting alternative. Probably was the reason noctua made a black DH15 too :haw:

The Dark Rock 4 is slightly louder quieter than the NH-D15, though not the NH-D15S, which I was reading a review of :negative: and cools worse than the Noctua NH-D15, but it's relative, and it is still a fairly high performance choice. I went with the NH-D15 for my build and love it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Dark Rock Pro 4 physically cannot get louder than the NH-D15, which has fans that can spin much faster. I have the DRP4, and it's extremely quiet, but the D15 has more cooling potential overall.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KingKapalone posted:

Is the i5 12400 the way to go now rather than a 5600X? Sorry if that is a loaded fanboy question.

There are no loaded fanboys here. The answer depends on what you're using it for. For budget to midrange builds, yes.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Dark Rock Pro 4 physically cannot get louder than the NH-D15, which has fans that can spin much faster. I have the DRP4, and it's extremely quiet, but the D15 has more cooling potential overall.

I was wrong, it's the single-fan model of D15 that is as quiet as the Dark Rock Pro 4. With two fans the Noctua is louder, yeah. (Not to say, "loud," but still.)

How is the RAM clearance on the DRP4? Does it have the offset front fin array height like the D15, or is it more restrictive about RAM selections? I like that with the D15 I was able to move the front fan up a few mm to make room for my RAM - just went with Corsair LPX so it wasn't huge or anything to begin with, but I remember having to be really careful about RAM height on my NH-D14 back in its day and that was less of a concern with the D15.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Torrent is helped by its back panel being almost completely open:

It doesn't even ship with an exhaust fan. Doesn't really need it.

Yeah it's pretty wide open back there but I happened to have an extra Noctua 140mm so thought eh given that it's right behind the CPU cooler maybe it'll help pull a bit more through under load :shrug: I'm using a NH-D15 with only one fan on it (as the one in front partially obstructed the GPU fan, probably not a big deal).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

Yeah it's pretty wide open back there but I happened to have an extra Noctua 140mm so thought eh given that it's right behind the CPU cooler maybe it'll help pull a bit more through under load :shrug: I'm using a NH-D15 with only one fan on it (as the one in front partially obstructed the GPU fan, probably not a big deal).

Yeah I think unless the second fan is spinning in the opposite direction (but same air flow direction) as the first fan, there is very little to gain with the fans on both sides. Could be wrong.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I wonder if the air going through the fins on the heatsink affects that sort of thing or not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

I wonder if the air going through the fins on the heatsink affects that sort of thing or not.

Yeah but I think that's what they've tested.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I think I read there was about a 2-3C difference between using both fans on the NH-D15 or just one so I figured leaving off the front one and putting a fan behind the cooler instead might not be totally useless. In any case it's very quiet and it works and I'm not touching it again until it doesn't :p.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Well my pc finally died today after seven years so I’m gonna need some goon help for a new one. I’m looking to build a pc that is art focused (I use a Wacom Tablet) that can also play video games (no need for high end ones). Anyone have any build suggestions under $1500 as a template? Im thinking an AMD GPU with 16 GB RAM at least since I don’t do video editing much.

Are there any pre-built websites worth looking at? I’m not going Dell or HP after seeing all the disasters on YouTube.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Do you notice any increase in noise from these intense positive pressure setups? I would imagine that with almost all vents occupied by intake fans, that air must start blowing out of the cracks and seams in a big way.

The 500D from corsair is a janky older design that is extremely open due to the hinged glass side panels that rest on tall stoppers.

If if it wasn’t for their marketing material going against this airflow set up I’d be convinced that this is how they actually intended the case to be used.

I want a new case but this one fits perfect under a tv where it is.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

KingKapalone posted:

it depends, the difference between them is pretty marginal though the 12400 probably has a slight edge generally for gaming. the 5600 is cheaper than the 5600X but has almost equivalent performance too, so that should be your starting point in terms of comparison.

for like mid-range gaming it should just come down to whichever is cheaper between the 12400F (if you don't need/want the iGPU for anything) and the 5600 + a motherboard with desired features. typically current gen Intel motherboards are a bit more expensive than equivalent AMD ones at the moment, so that can make up the price difference in CPUs. either 12400F or 5600 are great options, it just depends on how the mobo value works out.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Mozi posted:

I just built in the Fractal Torrent case (pretty great, suspiciously easy) and spent a little while tuning with Fan Control - really useful to be able to be playing a game or doing something with an expected load and be able to tweak the fans in real time - and came out with a nice setup, the front fans, CPU fans and rear exhaust I added (probably unnecessary) scale with CPU temps and the bottom 3 fans are a mix of CPU and GPU temps as they blow right on the GPU. Fans generally running 30-45% while gaming, GPU (3080) sits around 74 under full load, CPU hovers between 50 and 70C (fan goes from 30% sub-60, 40% sub-70, then scales to max at 90). Total of 5 fans blowing in and 1 blowing out.

I also could not help myself and installed an exhaust fan in the Torrent. Something about having the PSU in the top of the case and no top exhaust just took me back. I also used a Dark Rock TF2 to get downward airflow on top of my AMD CPU for maximum 2003 Athlon XP vibes.

I bought the exhaust fan with white blades for some reason? Fashion faux pas!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's actually the 5600X that gets the edge in gaming in most reviews, probably due to the extra cache. The 12400 has an advantage in most non-gaming applications, though both of these are rather small differences. At the end of the day, they're pretty evenly matched.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Major Operation posted:

I also could not help myself and installed an exhaust fan in the Torrent. Something about having the PSU in the top of the case and no top exhaust just took me back. I also used a Dark Rock TF2 to get downward airflow on top of my AMD CPU for maximum 2003 Athlon XP vibes.

I bought the exhaust fan with white blades for some reason? Fashion faux pas!

That seems entirely reasonable to have that fan exhausting there.

Is your PSU oriented such that it also is an exhaust? IE fan on bottom by those holes? Is there an option for it to face up and have it's own air supply that isn't coming from the case?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I think unless the second fan is spinning in the opposite direction (but same air flow direction) as the first fan, there is very little to gain with the fans on both sides. Could be wrong.

So, not a fluid dynamics or aerodynamics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the way it works is that, when two fans spin in opposite directions, the level of pressure increases beyond what a single fan can do. And if both fans spin in the same direction, the pressure doesn't increase, but the second fan does help maintain good airflow across the length of the heatsink. So adding a second fan to a narrow tower cooler doesn't help much (at most, it just helps move the exhaust away to prevent recirculation), but adding a second fan to a dual-tower cooler can help keep the air moving steady across both fin stacks. The NH-D15 has measurably better performance than the NH-D15S because of this. It's a similar idea to putting a second pump in a water loop. It won't add to the pressure, but it can help maintain flow if the loop is especially long.

That said, I don't know how much of a help counter-spinning really is. The Scythe Fuma 2 is the only cooler I've heard of that does it, and it gets surprisingly good performance, but I haven't seen anyone do A/B testing with two regular fans versus the stock fans (you'd probably have to get a regular Scythe Kaze fan).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I buy a kit to turn a DH-15S into a DH-15? Specifically with a fan that spins the opposite direction. The clips and a Y-cable wouldn't be a big deal.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

grack posted:

If you're using front intake fans:

Putting a fan between the front intakes and the CPU cooler is counterproductive, as it will exhaust the cool air coming from the front of the case before it does anything useful.

Putting a fan between the rear of the case and the CPU cooler as an exhaust is useful - the only thing there will be hot air from components.

What about extra intake fans perpendicular to the front fans? I figure getting more cool air inside is good even if the direct flow to the CPU might be disrupted a bit

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Cases used to do the side mount at the GPU but I think mounting on the door was just a big pain. You also up the noise profile.

My rule is blast as much air as I can through filters and don't worry about the rest.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 25, 2022

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That seems entirely reasonable to have that fan exhausting there.

Is your PSU oriented such that it also is an exhaust? IE fan on bottom by those holes? Is there an option for it to face up and have it's own air supply that isn't coming from the case?

Yes, the PSU's fan is also oriented such that it acts as an exhaust. There is no real option for the PSU to draw air in through the top because the Torrent case's top panel is solid plastic with no holes.

I actually tried to look up the model of PC case I built in back in 2003 for laughs, but I think that NewEgg invoice went to an old email account I can't access anymore. Oldest NewEgg invoice I have shows I purchased a Fractal Design Arc Midi in 2012, but even that had top exhaust and the PSU in the bottom.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

tehinternet posted:

What about extra intake fans perpendicular to the front fans? I figure getting more cool air inside is good even if the direct flow to the CPU might be disrupted a bit

As long as you're not exhausting the air before it reaches components it should be fine.

Shumagorath posted:

Cases uses to do the side mount at the GPU but I think mounting on the door was just a big pain. You also up the noise profile.

My rule is blast as much air as I can through filters and don't worry about the rest.

I wish more cases would go back to side intakes. If it's implemented properly it's one of the best and easiest ways to cool a GPU.

grack fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 25, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I still use a Sandy Bridge comp that I built in a Corsair 650D case - got it with a mesh side, installed a 200mm fan on it. 1x200mm front, 1x200mm side, with 1x140mm rear and 1x200mm top (low noise and low airflow fan up there). The side fan was neat. I think overall the design of modern cases where they often get the drive bays out of the way of intake airflow is better overall, but that side 200mm certainly helped keep the GPU cool even with a bunch of drives in the way of the front intake. That was heavy, though, and the Phanteks Eclipse Pro I used on my build after that was heavy too. I did some ducting to use a front top intake on that one because the drive bays were fully populated and really cut down on direct airflow from the front 200mm, though it did have a 140mm bottom intake that helped.

It was a relief to go with a lighter case this time around in the Phanteks p500a and its more modern design has great airflow and temps with a way less complicated fan arrangement.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 25, 2022

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I recently had the opportunity to buy a 3080 Ti a little below MSRP, and even though I wasn't really looking to upgrade I decided to jump on it. It's been a nice upgrade from the RTX 5700 XT I've been using for the last few years when I built this PC!

Now, of course, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my CPU as well. I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars or so to jump up, but I want to make sure it would make a difference for gaming at 1440p. If it does make sense, does anyone have a recommendation for what would be a good upgrade in that price range that I could use with my motherboard?

Also, is the OP still accurate that there's not much point in upgrading RAM beyond 16 GB if I'm mainly using it for gaming?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there anything we know yet about the Ryzen 7 series

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jokymi posted:

I recently had the opportunity to buy a 3080 Ti a little below MSRP, and even though I wasn't really looking to upgrade I decided to jump on it. It's been a nice upgrade from the RTX 5700 XT I've been using for the last few years when I built this PC!

Now, of course, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my CPU as well. I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars or so to jump up, but I want to make sure it would make a difference for gaming at 1440p. If it does make sense, does anyone have a recommendation for what would be a good upgrade in that price range that I could use with my motherboard?

Also, is the OP still accurate that there's not much point in upgrading RAM beyond 16 GB if I'm mainly using it for gaming?

I don't think you're going to have any CPU issues, and any upgrade at this point is going to be a lot of money for a small improvement until we get comfortably into the DDR5 era. As for RAM I think if you can get 32gb (and with DDR4 getting ever cheaper you probably can) it's probably worth it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gamers Nexus did a recap of the announcement event, the main things is the motherboards are going to be DDR5 only and all of the Ryzen 7000 ones are going to have an iGPU. Though for most of them it's only really going to be there for troubleshooting or basic PC use.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

AMD did a partial reveal this week. It will boost up to 5.5 GHz, and it will be able to hold its max boost clock on more cores for longer compared to previous ryzen generations. There is seemingly very little in the way of IPC (instructions per clock) improvement over the previous generations though, with AMD only committing to ">15% single-threaded performance" (which includes the ~12.25% boost to clock speed). Current speculation is that AMD may match Alder Lake in gaming performance and they could fall behind Raptor Lake, which is coming out at around the same time as the Ryzen 7000 series. The release window given was "fall."

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Is there any benefit to be had for AMD CPU/Mobo supporting Displayport 2.0 versus having the graphics card support it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hope ddr5 prices start to come down with more systems requiring them but who knows with the whole semiconductor shortages.

Currently debating just going for a 12700k from 8700k or just waiting for the ryzen 7000 and raptor lakes. Probably will wait the coffee lake is still perfectly decent.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

njsykora posted:

I don't think you're going to have any CPU issues, and any upgrade at this point is going to be a lot of money for a small improvement until we get comfortably into the DDR5 era. As for RAM I think if you can get 32gb (and with DDR4 getting ever cheaper you probably can) it's probably worth it.
Thanks, appreciate the advice!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like HZXT has a decent new tower out, the H7 Flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt27luCbjmI

Bit on the expensive side, at $130 and only 2 120 fans, but maybe that’s the new normal. That said, the Lancool II Mesh still seems like the better case, especially for GPU temps, and that often goes for $100. Cable management looks a bit better here, and there’s always the intangible question of aesthetics.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I’m upgrading from an old skylake cpu to a 12700 or 12600 and I’ve pretty much settled on a board with the z690 chipset, probably a MSI tomahawk. Since I’m not in a dire immediate need though I’m looking out for deals, and I could go with a B660 chipset or a slightly cheaper board if the price is right. The big unknown for me though is if I should expect or hope to keep this board through my next cpu. Do we know or can we reasonably predict if the next intel cpus will need a different socket? Should I shell out for a ddr5 motherboard if I don’t plan to switch up to ddr5 asap? If the answer is no I might not spend the $270 for the z690 tomahawk.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think we expect 13th gen to use the same socket and 14th to hypothetically change to next socket, intel typically supports boards for twoish generations. but idk if that's confirmed or what have you. more pressingly you probably should not expect to upgrade so quickly imo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ddr4 and 5 boards are non compatible, the ram physically has different pins. you will need to make the choice now, and hypothetically if you wanted to update down the road to 14th or later you'd need to be updating your motherboard anyway, that's why imo ddr4 is still better value.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

5's really fuckin expensive. Unless you're made of money I wouldn't expect to upgrade to it for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Its finally time for me to get a new PC and I really want to try 4k 144hz gaming. I've been looking Gigabyte M28U screens, since they seemed to be recommended in the monitor thread.

I live in Denmark and mostly play grand strategy games and older titles, so no reason to get anything extremely powerful. I also run Ubuntu, so AMD is supposed to best for drivers. So I would be very happy for some recommendations for CPU, motherboard and graphics cards, since I should be able to figure out the rest I think.

Any advise is welcome