Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Beast Pussy posted:

I would like to ask a question, in good faith, but I am worried that I am stupid. So I will ask, and you may ridicule me as long as someone can explain it.

Why is no one using the crazy against them? About everything, all the time? Like, these morons think JFK is going to pop out and arrest the secret cabal. Why not just hire a fake JFK to come out, take a couple photos, say trans rights are human rights, and then tell everyone he must go back to his home planet, and he'll be back to pick them up if they get rid of their guns?

Everyone seems to be trying to use logic to beat team space lasers. I say let's get weird with it.

The "solution" isn't actually supposed to work, whether it's the resurrection of JFK or the 20-year secret plans of Donald Trump or the airdrops of alien space gold. It's never supposed to come and nobody thinks it will - the hope is that eventually some "righteous soul" gets so fed up over the obvious problems with our once-great country not being solved that they decide to take matters into their own hands.

And since everybody lying about this solution isn't openly advocating for violence, they'll just weeble weeble when anybody suggests that "righteous soul" shared an awful lot of their beliefs.

It's been called "stochastic terrorism".

And as long as you don't solve the problem - as long as evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin, or whatever the local upshot of that is, such as a trans person daring to post a photo to the Internet - you can't just trot out solution artifacts and expect anybody to engage with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Arming teachers will just kill more children minorities.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I read somewhere that both both of the officers who first encountered the shooter were shot. Was this true?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

papa horny michael posted:

I read somewhere that both both of the officers who first encountered the shooter were shot. Was this true?

Read the previous page

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ted Cruz’s buddy just got sentenced

https://twitter.com/annadarlingtv/status/1529547107916455936?s=21&t=6NngGMq-Kvg57mtbqykQaQ

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CuddleCryptid posted:

The issue with this is that finding an ID and such is to make sure that the shooter doesn't try and escape by blending in with the evacuees, it's to ensure that the shooter is arrested after they have already stopped shooting. In this case all they had to do was find the guy with the gun and problem solved.

Has this ever happened? Has there been a rampage style mass shooting that ended this way?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fighting Trousers posted:

Has this ever happened? Has there been a rampage style mass shooting that ended this way?

Even if there were, how would police ID some rando at a school the person doesn't attend?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

IIRC the Parkland shooter tried to blend in with escaping kids and was recognized that way

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dietrich posted:

This is the way. Make them pick between besmirching police officers or admitting they are not the solution by saying they did their best and it didn't help. Don't give them the "highground" in their mind by ripping on police.

when, in your lifetime, has conceding a point to the right wing in the hopes of getting them to acknowledge their hypocrisy worked out in your favor.

has it happened even once.

what has happened here is the Biden administration's dream scenario: a fully funded and energized police department, armed to the teeth, was on site to stop a terrible crime in process. and nineteen children are dead.

the money you are supporting giving to the police is not making the republicans support you, and it is not saving children's lives. what purpose does it serve.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm sure they'd be really owned but that's pretty much exactly the point of all the insane stuff. They want you to argue about the OK hand sign, or post about how Q-Anon isn't real instead of confronting their actual beliefs.

I know you're right about that, but why aren't we hitting them everywhere?
Obviously the best part about modern politics is you can lie and nothing matters. So let's.

Let's use all their tactics. Because they're working. And it can't be because they are smarter. So either they actually are working under some divine imperative, or they are beatable. I'm tired of watching the world make no sense and everyone just go along with it.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

when, in your lifetime, has conceding a point to the right wing in the hopes of getting them to acknowledge their hypocrisy worked out in your favor.

has it happened even once.

what has happened here is the Biden administration's dream scenario: a fully funded and energized police department, armed to the teeth, was on site to stop a terrible crime in process. and nineteen children are dead.

the money you are supporting giving to the police is not making the republicans support you, and it is not saving children's lives. what purpose does it serve.

I don't know if this is a colossal bad take or if you misquoting the actual post you wanted to respond to.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

Obviously the best part about modern politics is you can lie and nothing matters. So let's.

Let's use all their tactics. Because they're working. And it can't be because they are smarter. So either they actually are working under some divine imperative, or they are beatable. I'm tired of watching the world make no sense and everyone just go along with it.

the very simple reason is that they are working within a political party and media infrastructure that shares their goals, and we are working with a political party and media infrastructure that actively opposes ours.

they are absolutely beatable, but to beat them would require the existence of a political party that wanted to beat them. the democrats are not this party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

The problem is those tactics only work if you are okay with what they involve. It is much easier to trick someone who thinks they are wise than someone who knows they are foolish.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't know if this is a colossal bad take or if you misquoting the actual post you wanted to respond to.

saying "they did their best and it didn't help" is yet another concession to the right wing. surely, Our Brave Boys In Blue did all that they could, because who wouldn't!

they did not do their best. they did what cops always do when threatened: they ran and hid and hoped someone else would fix the problem. there is no benefit in refusing to impugn the honor of american police officers in the hopes this will make republicans play nice with you. do not bother with it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beast Pussy posted:

The way to push back is building a world where there isn't a place for conspiracy to move in and take advantage of people's fear and suffering. Conspiracy is an answer when there are no other answers you trust. Trying to attack them inside of their own logic just validates it.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

saying "they did their best and it didn't help" is yet another concession to the right wing. surely, Our Brave Boys In Blue did all that they could, because who wouldn't!

they did not do their best. they did what cops always do when threatened: they ran and hid and hoped someone else would fix the problem. there is no benefit in refusing to impugn the honor of american police officers in the hopes this will make republicans play nice with you. do not bother with it.

I don't know where you got this "they did their best" business. It is merely failing to demonstrate the efficacy of the firearms in the hands of the police when mass shootings occur. If you somehow read that as patting cops on the back then I really don't know where to take the conversation from here because surely my skills and wherewithal are limited in the ability to get my ideas accurately transmitted into your brain.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Madkal posted:

I work at a college and we did an active shooter drills few years back. I remember the guy telling us what to do saying that even if the police arrive it doesn't mean that the event is over. They will wait to get a layout of the buildings, a possible ID of the shooter (at least physical description) and such. Now this is a college where everyone is old enough to look like a potential suspect, and I am not trying to defend the police in this case, but cops are trained not to go into an active shooter situation guns blazing until they have a plan. Unfortunately the time it takes to have that plan means people are still at a greater risk. The solution to this problem is a bit more nuanced than having the options be either do nothing because all cops are lazy cowards and go in immediately and hope for the best because we think all cops should be superheroes.

Police regularly charge into active shooter situations and more often create them without a plan.

Plans are for when they're worried they might be shot at, not other people getting shot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

papa horny michael posted:

Yes they were. Yet most people in this ignoring this fact because it doesn't fit the narrative they want.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of the police, but people saying "the cops should have done more to prevent the murderer from entering the school" when the initial officers were shooting at him and they both ended up getting shot is strange.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 25, 2022

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Glazius posted:

The "solution" isn't actually supposed to work, whether it's the resurrection of JFK or the 20-year secret plans of Donald Trump or the airdrops of alien space gold. It's never supposed to come and nobody thinks it will - the hope is that eventually some "righteous soul" gets so fed up over the obvious problems with our once-great country not being solved that they decide to take matters into their own hands.

And since everybody lying about this solution isn't openly advocating for violence, they'll just weeble weeble when anybody suggests that "righteous soul" shared an awful lot of their beliefs.

It's been called "stochastic terrorism".

And as long as you don't solve the problem - as long as evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin, or whatever the local upshot of that is, such as a trans person daring to post a photo to the Internet - you can't just trot out solution artifacts and expect anybody to engage with them.

This is crushing.

How come the right is both running as the dominant political party and also the insurgency? Where are the extremists on the other side?

When is enough too much? Why is no one doing anything?

At least if it was the disenfranchised commiting senseless acts of violence constantly, I could understand. I could get why someone would be desperate, but how is it the same side running both sides of this game?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes they were. Yet most people in this ignoring this fact because it doesn't fit the narrative they want.
It sounds like having the cops there wasn't effective, then.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

cat botherer posted:

I don't want police in schools. No.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't know where you got this "they did their best" business. It is merely failing to demonstrate the efficacy of the firearms in the hands of the police when mass shootings occur. If you somehow read that as patting cops on the back then I really don't know where to take the conversation from here because surely my skills and wherewithal are limited in the ability to get my ideas accurately transmitted into your brain.

quote:

Don't give them the "highground" in their mind by ripping on police.

the police failed. miserably. in the way that they always fail when confronted with an event like this.

refusing to acknowledge that, out of the hopes that it will make republicans have some cognitive dissonance about why they're still defending this, is a pointless concession to the delusion that if only we fund the police a little better, surely they'll get the -next- one.

giving this ground will earn you no goodwill from republicans. it will not protect children. it does not describe reality. what purpose does it serve.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1529529909571461121

Looks like the pro-police consent manufacturing is in full swing now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't want police in schools. No.
Ok? So they kind of didn't do there loving jobs well, so what's the point in getting upset over people paying insufficient attention to the poor cops with non-life-threatening injuries?

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

Agreed.

Did I miss someone in the thread saying they were?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Beast Pussy posted:

This is crushing.

How come the right is both running as the dominant political party and also the insurgency? Where are the extremists on the other side?

Generally it is not helpful to have extremists, much as spreading and weaponizing conspiracy isn't beneficial. The goal is to anchor policies in reality.

Beast Pussy posted:

When is enough too much? Why is no one doing anything?
People are in fact doing things in opposition to the gun industry, and the NRA and the gun lobby are broadly at the weakest they have been in decades, in no small part due to the collapse of the NRA itself. Like many other parts of the conservative movement, they are able to cling to power through exploitation of the limitations of the Senate and the court system, both granted to them through previous elections.

Beast Pussy posted:

At least if it was the disenfranchised commiting senseless acts of violence constantly, I could understand. I could get why someone would be desperate, but how is it the same side running both sides of this game?

It's not a game. The whole point is to reduce senseless acts of violence. It's not in fact good to have "our side", however you'd want to construct that, committing senseless acts of violence. It is, in fact, better to define your side by its lack of senseless violence.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

Agreed.

I see some people defending their ineffectiveness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Police departments nationwide will need more money for psychological training to continue advancing after being shot. I think current training is to disengage.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

the police failed. miserably. in the way that they always fail when confronted with an event like this.

refusing to acknowledge that, out of the hopes that it will make republicans have some cognitive dissonance about why they're still defending this, is a pointless concession to the delusion that if only we fund the police a little better, surely they'll get the -next- one.

giving this ground will earn you no goodwill from republicans. it will not protect children. it does not describe reality. what purpose does it serve.

Those are not my words so I cannot own them, and though that is not the takeaway I got from that post, I can see where you are coming from.

Jaxyon posted:

Agreed.

Nope, just tons of smug white noise posts that are convoluting the narrative in play.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We can't do anything about guns! Think about the 10% of Republican voters we are trying to swing!!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Ok? So they kind of didn't do there loving jobs well, so what's the point in getting upset over people paying insufficient attention to the poor cops with non-life-threatening injuries?

Because it's unsurprising that the gunman with rifles (who probably caught them by surprise) would heavily out arm two people with pistols? People keep saying "police were too scared to do anything" when they clearly did do something, shot at the shooter.

Police at schools to prevent school shootings was always a LOLtacular "solution" for the very reason this shooting demonstrates, that there is no need to leave the subtext "police are cowards, if only they who were willing to fight then the shooter would be stopped", is dumb because you can't constantly be vigilant for events like this. The cops failed in taking down the shooter because it's a failed solution from the get go.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 25, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Generally it is not helpful to have extremists, much as spreading and weaponizing conspiracy isn't beneficial. The goal is to anchor policies in reality.

People are in fact doing things in opposition to the gun industry, and the NRA and the gun lobby are broadly at the weakest they have been in decades, in no small part due to the collapse of the NRA itself. Like many other parts of the conservative movement, they are able to cling to power through exploitation of the limitations of the Senate and the court system, both granted to them through previous elections.

It's not a game. The whole point is to reduce senseless acts of violence. It's not in fact good to have "our side", however you'd want to construct that, committing senseless acts of violence. It is, in fact, better to define your side by its lack of senseless violence.

Gandhi once said "It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."

looking at the events here, and the reactions to them from democratic elected officials, ask yourself which better describes the behavior you see. are people with the power to change the world for the better judiciously refusing to act, due to the potential costs of action?

or are impotent functionaries attempting to dress their impotence up as 'doing the best that can be done.'

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

cat botherer posted:

I see some people defending their ineffectiveness.

Oh cool quote them because they're not effective, lets both argue with them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Onion finally found a way to take their infamous mass shooting article to the next level.

Scroll down the home page.

https://www.theonion.com/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 25, 2022

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Onion finally found a way to make their infamous mass shooting article to the next level.

Holy gently caress! *chef kiss*

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Onion finally found a way to make their infamous mass shooting article to the next level.

Yeah they aren't loving around
https://www.theonion.com/report-uvalde-gunman-had-accomplices-as-far-as-washing-1848976025

quote:

UVALDE, TX—Uncovering shocking new details about the Robb Elementary School shooting, FBI agents told reporters Wednesday that alleged gunman Salvador Ramos had accomplices as far away as Washington, D.C. “We have reason to believe this wasn’t a ‘lone wolf’ incident, but rather a coordinated attack carried out with the assistance of 535 individuals in the D.C. metropolitan area,” said agency spokesperson Adriana Yaroma, who noted that the case was now being investigated as a federal crime, as the co-conspirators had crossed the borders of every U.S. state. “This was a highly sophisticated operation backed by millions of dollars, and it appears to have been in the works for decades. We have evidence these men and women provided the shooter with cover as well as access to the very guns used to perpetrate the murders. If it weren’t for the cooperation of these incredibly sick individuals, the 21 victims would still be with us today.” At press time, the accomplices had reportedly fled the country before they could be brought in for questioning.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because it's unsurprising that the gunman with rifles (who probably caught them by surprise) would heavily out arm two people with pistols? People keep saying "police were too scared to do anything" when they clearly did do something, shot at the shooter.

Police at schools to prevent school shootings was always a LOLtacular "solution" for the very reason this shooting demonstrates, that there is no need to leave the subtext "police are cowards, if only they who were willing to fight then the shooter would be stopped", is dumb because you can't constantly be vigilant for events like this. The cops failed in taking down the shooter because it's a failed solution from the get go.

It comes back to the idea that uniformed cops are both necessary so that you know who is a cop and who isn't and also absolute poo poo at stopping random killings because *who do you shoot first in a spree killing*?

Cops are trained to be a hammer that follows order and goes in with a plan to shoot anyone who looks threatening. Otherwise they're just some dude. They panic, they gently caress up, they fail to do their jobs when they are surprised.

I dont think anyone could truly fault someone for getting freaked out when ambushed by a mass shooter, but the issue is that *their entire job was to stop this*, when it is painfully clear that they simply cannot do that. Why? Because if we forced them to have the kind of vigilance that they would need to stop it then they would end up shooting a gently caress ton of people just for being twitchy. They arent soldiers outside the wire, as much as they would like to think they are, and we dont want them to have "draw and fire" responses to getting accidentally bumped as someone walked past. It's absurd to think that more cops would help this other than to assume that volume of fire after the first couple of cops goes down would be the solution.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good lord. I guess we're well past the point where we just assume and immediately label the guy a Muslim or a far left radical or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that was always a thing, its just that the internet makes it faster to do.

Also doesnt help that the true crime genre has made it mainstream to try to be a detective.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The trap a number of y'all seem to be falling into today is assuming that societal decisions are made via reasoned(or unreasoned) argument rather than by the exercise of power. You should not really be asking yourself "how can I trick or otherwise logically entrap my philosophical opponents" but rather "how can I secure and wield power to get what I want"

The latter is unfortunately a much harder question to answer and a lot less friendly to shadowboxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Not trying to be offensive or inflammatory but the Democratic legislative agenda had been dead for 2 years. What makes this senseless tragedy different then the dozens of other mass shootings? Meaningful gun control legislation in America seems even more far fetched than fully automated gay space communism