Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's morally stealing, but probably not illegal. Assuming it was a joint rather than custodial account (and the former is more common), the mother can legally withdraw whatever she wants.

Unfortunately none of that really matters if the mother was a signatory to a joint account and it wasn't a custodial account in the daughter's name.

The status of the account overrides any contract between the mother and daughter about what the money in the account will be used for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The status of the account overrides any contract between the mother and daughter about what the money in the account will be used for?

As the only written agreement bearing on the situation: probably. At least in reality not a magical world where life is fair and justice is for all.

But then again, this sounds like it's the UK/Australia (paycheque) so who knows.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
r/relationships: Do not message me on here about your dick.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Motronic posted:

As the only written agreement bearing on the situation: probably. At least in reality not a magical world where life is fair and justice is for all.

But then again, this sounds like it's the UK/Australia (paycheque) so who knows.

OP clarifies in the comments this takes place in America:

OP posted:

I'm born and raised in the US but my parents are from Canada and England

and it sounds like she might actually update. I hope it works out for her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

From the time I got my 1st job at 16 untill I moved out at 18 my parents charged me $50 a week for rent. What I didn’t know is that each of those $50 weekly rent payments my parents had put away for me and when I moved out they handed me a checking account that had all of that money in it

OP posted:

well that's lovely for you but unless my mom's new chest opens like a safe containing my cash to give me....I don't think she has the same good intentions.

:thurman:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hey, I've got a great idea for a Videodrome sequel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Obviously the solution is to get your mom on onlyfans

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, I've got a great idea for a Videodrome sequel

Coming this summer:

Treasure Chest

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Coming this summer:

Treasure Chest

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Amazing chest ahead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Behold, chest! Time for pickle

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Open your pleasure chest mother

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Motronic posted:

Want to be even more outraged? It's probably not "stealing" in a way that's easy to prove/prosecute.

Sounds like the mother made a bank account in her own name and had the kid deposit checks. Even if it was a joint account everything in the account belongs to both people equally, not 50% each.

There are two types of account that are joint where I work. One requires both parties to be there to do anything with it, from transferring to withdrawing funds. The other does not. Any funds in the account can be taken out by one person on the account and it is 100% within their rights at the bank to do so.

So unless this was a trust in the name of the child for which hopefully there is documentation when it was created, she’s SOL.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are also UTMA/UGMA accounts, which are in the name of the minor with an adult custodian. The custodian has a fiduciary responsibility to the child in this case.

I guarantee you it wasn't one of those either.

It was a joint "or" account (not an "and") or simply an account in the mothers name period. I'm betting on the last one.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Honestly if I was them and had no legal recourse I'd just burn the bridge hard and put up flyers around the neighborhood telling everyone my own mother stole money for my college for new boobs.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DemoneeHo posted:

Amazing chest ahead

Try finger but hole

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DoubleNegative posted:

I went looking for this and apparently it was scrubbed from the Internet. The only trace of its existence I found was the update from a little bit later:

When I read the original post, my reaction was: dude was so non-cofrontational, he intentionally peed himself to avoid having a hard discussion when they get home.

After the follow-up, I am convinced he was fully checked out and wanting to leave, but so non-cofrontational he couldn't even break up with her.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 25, 2022

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for "embarrassing" my bf in front of everyone

r/relationships: EDIT: Do not message me on here about your dick.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even if she never gets a dime back from the mom she should absolutely cut contact with the mother. She should also tell the mother she'll have a relationship with her again if she 1) pays back all the money she stole, 2) pays back all the rent, 3) with interest. Then if the mother ever pays her back she should still be no contact.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’d write one of those self-serving human interest articles and put it in the drat newspaper about my mom who stole my college money for new tits, and then I’d send it to all her friends and family

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

There are also UTMA/UGMA accounts, which are in the name of the minor with an adult custodian. The custodian has a fiduciary responsibility to the child in this case.

I guarantee you it wasn't one of those either.

It was a joint "or" account (not an "and") or simply an account in the mothers name period. I'm betting on the last one.

UTMA accounts are pretty much the default option if you bring a kid into the bank and say you need to establish an account for them, but yeah mom probably just put it in her own name.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

r/relationships: EDIT: Do not message me on here about your dick.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Batterypowered7 posted:

Try finger but hole

Just the tit

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

therobit posted:

UTMA accounts are pretty much the default option if you bring a kid into the bank and say you need to establish an account for them, but yeah mom probably just put it in her own name.

OP says it's an account where she can't touch the money until she's 18. I know absolutely jack poo poo about banking, but wouldn't that be a custodial account? I've never heard of a joint account where one party can't access the money.

Unless you're saying the mom just opened an account for herself and said she'd give OP the money when she was 18, which sounds entirely possible.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
its a chesting account. the adult can take the money, but ONLY for boob jobs. i believe the kids SOL here.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

DeeplyConcerned posted:

its a chesting account. the adult can take the money, but ONLY for boob jobs. i believe the kids SOL here.

It could also be a blind bust.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Good thread title

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Invisible Clergy posted:

My [28F] boyfriend [27M] of three years refused to pull over while he was driving, pissed himself, and then kinda blamed me for it.

This is why you don't date cats.

It pissed where it shouldn't have because it was upset.

Take your boyfriend to the vet.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Update: my boyfriend became super upset by all the dogs at the vet's office and wouldn't calm down in his carrier and tried to hurt people when being removed.

The vet was able to wrap him up in a towel like a burrito, and after having a look over, it turns out he has a UTI. It's treatable and we should be able to get back to normal soon. ❤️

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

In keeping with the pissy boyfriends on road trips theme...

AITA for kicking my boyfriend and his friend out of my car in the middle of our road trip?

quote:

My boyfriend (27M) and I (26F) decided to go on a roadtrip like we do every year. This year he said he doesn't want to "ruin" his new car and suggested we go in my car. He also requested to do the driving but I told him it's my car then I shoupd drive it, he tried to make comments about how my driving is slow, and inconsistant but eventually dropped it and we went.

He brought his buddy with him and they both sat in the back. Once we got on the road, My boyfriend started making comments about my driving while asking me to let him drive instead. I ignored him and kept driving but then he and his friends kept saying things like "op you're driving like a giiiirl --- wait you are a girl!" then they start laugh and then say "you're driving is as bad as our old neighbor". Again I ignored them but ---- they go again with "srsly, who taught you to drive like that?" and "hope the cops pull us over and end this misery". I couldn't take it anymore and I began to lose my temper. so I told them to stop and that if either of them make one more comment, ONE comment about my driving then I'd kick them out.

My boyfriend glanced at me then things got quiet for about 5 minutes then he finally mumbled "alright I think we should call 9-11 because you're driving is causing me brain damage". I snapped, I immediately stopped the car and told him I had enough and that he had to get out. He tried to argue saying I was overreacting and he was just trying to "teach" me to drive better but I told him to get out!!!! his friend came at me defending him but I told him to get out too. My boyfriend then said I was nuts because we were in the middle of nowhere but there was a gas station near by. I told them both to get out and put their bags on the side of the road then drove off. I went home instead of continuing the trip and I cried all the way til I got there.

Later I had an argument with my boyfriend upon his return and he told me it was cruel of me to kick him and his friend out and ruin the trip over few comments they made with good intentions. I told him that he mocked my driving the entire time and called it horrible and in response he said he was just being honest with me and that this is all my fault for refusing to let him drive in the first place. Now we're not even talking and he keeps huffing and puffing around me for doing this to him and his friend.

Why he is not an ex-bf I'll honestly never know.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

AITA for kicking my boyfriend and his friend out of my car in the middle of our road trip?

Why he is not an ex-bf I'll honestly never know.

quote:

He brought his buddy with him and they both sat in the back.

this right here is where i'd be done, but then again i'm not a fuckin' doormat

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for going home after my fiancè told me to "sit down and shut up"?.

quote:

I f26 have been with my fiance m34 for 2 and a half years. We had LDR mostly but I moved in with him after the engagement.

We agree on most things except few things he finds unlikeable or in his own words "intolerable" and one of them is me using public restrooms. He has expressed how disgusting public restrooms are and been trying to convince me to not use them unless it's urgent but he'd try to talk me out of using them even when it's urgent and tell me to hold it in. He's a lot like his mom since she has the same mindset.

We went out to the restaurant to celebrate her birthday and after we finished eating I tried to excuse myself to use the restroom. His mom looked at me and jokingly said "oh don't worry about fixing your makeup it's still fine" but I got up and politely said that I needed the restroom for another reason. My fiance looked at me with an upset look and told me that we already talked about using public restrooms and how I should avoid them at any cost, but I kind of flipped out and flatout told him I needed to pee. Apparently I said it loud enough others around us heard, which made my fiance feel embarrassed he got more upset and told me "sit down and shut up" I felt so offended I nearly broke down crying because it was loud enough for others to hear, not to mention how his family looked at me. I collected my purse, phone and key and decided to go home. He freaked out asking where I was going I said I was going home.

He followed me trying to get me to go back inside for the sake of the celebration but I got in my car and drove off. He left about 10 missed phoncalls then came back telling me I spoiled the entire celebration for everyone. I told him he disrespected me and tried to deny me access to the rest room. He lashed out saying I couldn't play the victim or act ignorant after he told me about the restroom thing and said I was at fault for 2 things, one raising my voice and embarrassing him and his family when I said I wanted to pee. and two for escalating and walking out of my future mother inlaw's birthday celebration and disrespecting her. I refused to argue anymore but he said that I only have myself to blame for this situation and for ruining the celebration for him and the family.

w

what

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What a day for pee-related stories :psyduck:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can completely understand not wanting to use a public bathroom.

Having it so no one around you can either is next level

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can completely understand not wanting to use a public bathroom.

Having it so no one around you can either is next level

Um gross he has to have sex with that butt that touched the public toilet seat I mean my god can you imagine

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Um gross he has to have sex with that butt that touched the public toilet seat I mean my god can you imagine

Hopefully that problem will solve itself soon

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Invisible Clergy posted:

My [28F] boyfriend [27M] of three years refused to pull over while he was driving, pissed himself, and then kinda blamed me for it.

Don't piss your jorts, bro

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for going home after my fiancè told me to "sit down and shut up"?.

w

what

That's some good spoilers, I would have bet money that it was being weird about tampons.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The drinks were right there, she could have poured one over his head, and then another one on his poo poo mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Troublemaker posted:

OP says it's an account where she can't touch the money until she's 18. I know absolutely jack poo poo about banking, but wouldn't that be a custodial account? I've never heard of a joint account where one party can't access the money.

Unless you're saying the mom just opened an account for herself and said she'd give OP the money when she was 18, which sounds entirely possible.

Yes, a UTMA (Universal Transfers to Minors Act) account would be an account where the adult signer is a custodian of the funds and can only use the funds in the child’s best interest from the standpoint of a reasonable person, and at 18 years of age the proper thing to do is to take the adult off and make the kid the signer of the account or close it and open a new account with the kid as the signer. But I would guess mom here probably didn’t set something like that up for her kid if she is the type of person to take the money and spend it on elective cosmetic surgery. Generally speaking outside of certain circumstances a bank will negotiate checks made to a minor for their parents, so it may be that this kid has just been handing her checks over to mom with no recompense.

Then again, the type of person who would steal their kid’s money might also just be dumb enough to do it in a way that get them in trouble.