Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wolfy posted:

In theory this could work but you know this street is signed for 25 yet the cars are going 45 so that crossing is loving terrifying

Cars do indeed haul rear end on that street when they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Xaris posted:

in oakland, absolutely i can confirm that street and others you are expected to go no less than 45 on or else its road-rage time. everyone flies at twice the speed down residential and ped streets and runs reds or stops constantly there.

tbf thats also the whole bay area but there is definitely an anger vibe 'why am i, a car driver, being inconvenienced by all these inconveniences? gently caress u peds'

yeah. realistically outside either automated bollards or expert marksmen defending crosswalks/cycle lanes they're going to continue to be honeypots for people who think they matter in carworld.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I would prefer for all of the crossing points between bike paths and vehicle paths to be where the vehicles are at a stop, rather than when they are still going 25+
yeah I don't think it is any way an optimal or good solution

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also you cant guarantee most of the vehicles that are at a stop are also still not going 25+

red signs and lights are mostly a suggestion to heed if you're feeling like it, otherwise the seas will always part for you like moses so just go for it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That's what the bollards mentioned earlier in the thread are for

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what if bollards came up at red lights. would be pretty funny

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

A MIRACLE posted:

what if bollards came up at red lights. would be pretty funny

All
You
Haters
Suck
My
Bollards

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
all of this sounds very expensive to implement and maintain. may i propose simply banning cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

Petanque posted:

all of this sounds very expensive to implement and maintain. may i propose simply banning cars
drat that's a good idea

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Petanque posted:

but how will senile disabled dementia patients go to the pharmacy???

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/128761766/speed-limit-of-50kph-on-transmission-gully-link-roads-to-be-reassessed

There's some amazing car brain quotes from city councillors in this one

Train posting is good posting

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 04:40 on May 26, 2022

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Kicked Throat posted:

count the malls in bangkok's mall district:

not only can you catch a metro train to this area, you can also get there by these rad canal buses

https://youtu.be/HDfpfIGPmj8

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Brawnfire posted:

150,000 bats ON A BUS

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

upsidedown posted:

not only can you catch a metro train to this area, you can also get there by these rad canal buses

https://youtu.be/HDfpfIGPmj8

i spent a day riding those for fun once, they are great. it felt like everywhere they take you is super walkable market streets.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/tomflood1/status/1529439115447615489

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
When I commute to work by car, it's not at peak rush hour times. Even still, I notice a lot of pickup trucks driving around. There are a lot of unemployed farmers and construction workers. lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

truck makers realizing that advertising to people who pretend to need their truck for work was missing part of the market with marginally more self awareness

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wow mos def has really fallen

mystes
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

truck makers realizing that advertising to people who pretend to need their truck for work was missing part of the market with marginally more self awareness
I've they're just going to cut the crap and market to people who are like "yes I am in the market for a car that's a Veblen good" could they not make them so stupidly big and heavy at least?

How about a subcompact that's just studded with diamonds?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mystes posted:

I've they're just going to cut the crap and market to people who are like "yes I am in the market for a car that's a Veblen good" could they not make them so stupidly big and heavy at least?

How about a subcompact that's just studded with diamonds?

It is America.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I do some carpentry, and a pick up truck is dog poo poo for hauling lumber. The bed isn't even long enough to lay down a 8' board. My station wagon has the same carrying capacity as most trucks. The real working man drives a van or drags a cargo trailer.

I know these trucks aren't meant for work or hauling cargo. They're meant for consumers trying to reinforce their masculinity through their consumer choices.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I know these trucks aren't meant for work or hauling cargo. They're meant for consumers trying to reinforce their masculinity through their consumer choices.

last weekend I saw an old black lady wearing all purple and a big purple hat driving the biggest Silverado I’ve ever seen, which was also purple, so you’re wrong

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mawarannahr posted:

last weekend I saw an old black lady wearing all purple and a big purple hat driving the biggest Silverado I’ve ever seen, which was also purple, so you’re wrong

ngl she sounds cool

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1529173620227964928

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this made me laugh so loving hard out loud and I don’t understand why I’m still giggling

mystes
May 31, 2006

Please send a bollard army to close all the roads to cars

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

The real working man drives a van or drags a cargo trailer.
This.

Oh, you're a tradesman and "need" your pickup for "work"? just buy a van.

Oh, you somehow "need" a load area accessible from three sides for some reason? Well your pickup's bed is tiny, buy a van with a bed :shrug:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I do some carpentry, and a pick up truck is dog poo poo for hauling lumber. The bed isn't even long enough to lay down a 8' board. My station wagon has the same carrying capacity as most trucks. The real working man drives a van or drags a cargo trailer.

The popular new thing is for the 10,000 contractors around here to tow these huge loving trailers behind their giant lifted trucks when they drive down to Home Depot to buy a contractor pack of boob lights for their latest remodel

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I volunteer at a food bank, and over the pandemic we've shifted so that instead of the usual "come in and pick what you want like a store with some dignity" approach now it's just loading boxes into trucks and cars as they file past. Don't like/won't use/ are actually allergic to some items? Sorry, everybody gets the same, move along. For the most part it has not been a positive change.

Among all the other little inconveniences that come with this shift is one really annoying factor that becomes a sticking point every single time: for some reason, all rear-hatch vehicles made in the last 30 years seem to need their own completely different, proprietary latch mechanisms in the back. I have no loving clue why door handles are more or less standardized but the way to open the rear hatch is one of like 45 different designs- sometimes it's a button, sometimes it's a latch, sometimes it's a button AND a latch, sometimes the button is hidden under or inside something, sometimes the latch is flush with the door and you'd need a loving jeweler's torque to find it if you don't already know, sometimes the driver actually opens and closes the hatch with a powered door mechanism and if you try to open it by hand it can break (so why do they even still include the hand-latch on the back if you're never supposed to use it!?!?!?!). Frequently any one of these designs is further complicated by already having been broken at some point long before, so the driver tells you to jiggle it or "push harder" or, often, "here let me do it it's weird".

Every time this happens it slows the whole process down and it's a pain in everybody's butt while we have to stand there waiting holding boxes and flats of food, and there's yet another Myst puzzle to figure out before you can load any of it. It blows my mind that with all the talk of automotive engineers winning awards and poo poo, nobody has standardized something as dirt simple as the mechanism to open and close the cargo area. This truck discussion makes me realize what it actually displays: how little a priority the cargo space actually is on these vehicles. It's an afterthought, which is why you put the C-team on designing those parts, which keeps this one niche of the field intensely stupid. It's maddening.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that sucks I’m sorry. how do you get food if you’re too poor for a car?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

put the box in the back seat maybe

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
There's a 90s open bed Hilux on my street that is tiny compared to current models and also looks to have about twice the space in the bed

The front of the hood is below my waist level compared to a current Hilux which is close to shoulder height lol

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

that sucks I’m sorry. how do you get food if you’re too poor for a car?

Technically we're not supposed to give people on foot anything which is intensely stupid, so often people who do have a car will pick up for other people who don't too and take it to them. This is very cool of them, but also requires way more paperwork, of course. We also have people come up in ATVs and golf carts and stuff some times just to qualify. It's ridiculous and sad.

indigi posted:

put the box in the back seat maybe

This is often the workaround but is also regularly confounded by people bringing their kids and dogs with them, which I understand having to do if you can't leave them at home or if you have to drive several counties over to get food (Wyoming is a particularly weird place for charities because everything's so spaced out, people will often end up coming from two counties over to the food bank they're supposed to go to, let alone if they're double-dipping which a lot of people do by driving all over the state, which yeah, is also kinda nuts). Less excusable is the people who don't clean their vehicle out at all and then want all 4 boxes and it's suddenly Filthy Tetris time.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The 1936 FHA Underwriting Manual explicitly said that race mixing wasn't going to be allowed in FHA-underwritten housing developments
http://fhact50.org/cool_timeline/1936-fha-underwriting-manual-promotes-racial-segregation/
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/sites/default/files/pdf/Federal-Housing-Administration-Underwriting-Manual.pdf

US tax policy subsidized building retail near these new housing developments that were deliberately segregated by race and gatekept by the residents' ability to buy cars.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2169635

Racism, suburbanization, and car-dependency were all deliberately interwoven in post-war US development and urban decay was the intended result.

:d2a: tear it all down

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Technically we're not supposed to give people on foot anything which is intensely stupid, so often people who do have a car will pick up for other people who don't too and take it to them. This is very cool of them, but also requires way more paperwork, of course. We also have people come up in ATVs and golf carts and stuff some times just to qualify. It's ridiculous and sad.

This is insane. There can be no justifying this, but what's the official reason? And where is this godawful punitive garbage happening?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I assume that it's a COVID policy to limit close contact with the staff?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lmfao im dying

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I assume that it's a COVID policy to limit close contact with the staff?

I assume it helps spread COVID among total strangers riding with each other, hurting especially the poorest people and anyone who empathizes with them even when they’re hard up themselves. god drat.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/BrooklynSpoke/status/1529900951179517952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
*rides in on a skateboard, hands you a copy of The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America*