Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So let's say eliminating the filibuster is off the table. Ok. Fine.

Why can't we revert it to where someone actually has to stand for hours until they're exhausted? If they want to block this legislation at least make them work for it. If we want to go all, 'but tradition!' then actually go with the traditional implementation

The original reason that was ditched so that normal business could be conducted even when some senator or other had a snit about a particular bill. It's not totally useless these days, but the proportion of bills that get blocked is obviously paralyzingly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was worth it for this photo https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1529538867853926401?s=21&t=qWwe8LaYpnRPFfmeRT0K2g

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So let's say eliminating the filibuster is off the table. Ok. Fine.

Why can't we revert it to where someone actually has to stand for hours until they're exhausted? If they want to block this legislation at least make them work for it. If we want to go all, 'but tradition!' then actually go with the traditional implementation

Schumer tried. Manchin blocked it.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

double-wide blue line

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
flight , fight or freeze instincts are deeply coded instincts and for high stress things you need a lot of practice and drilling so your high level thinking mind gets "bored" / okay with the stress and then is okay with off loading some stuff to your lower level subconscious so it can then use some mental bandwith for other things. this takes a ton of time and training and us cops are very poorly trained.

this is why safety/OSHA egineers have to make their stuff like next level foolproof because a panicing group of people is very very dumb. Also high stress stuff also includes zero risk things such as try harding at games/sports or even just just doing highskilled things/hobbies.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

LionArcher posted:

Why is this probed? This poster has a good point. Gun owners who don't like being called on the fact that they have a weird fetish try to gatekeep rules about guns by acting if you don't know what gun was used in WW2 you can't be apart of making the rules. Yet another garbage argument.

Bottom line, we are all safer by having better gun control laws than you as a gun owner owning a gun. That's not a theory, that's a statistical fact. I don't own a gun, but I know how to use one. I a way better chance of defending my family with a loving wooden sword (because I have training) Or with a knife (again, training) than gun nuts do. Most gun nuts, just like cops are cowards anyway.

Same. The poster they were responding to was doing some bit about "it doesn't mean 'assault rifle'" which is 1) bad faith 2) doesn't add to the discussion 3) is meaningless in this conversation and 4) "unoriginal" "already talked about" and other similar reasons related to probes I've seen that only list originality-adjacency. This bullshit "doesn't mean assault rifle" is an old as gently caress nra/fox/oann talking point.

The probed post was rhetorically stating that gun fetish trivia was not relevant to the overall discussion.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 26, 2022

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

In an alternate universe that picture is in history books one day when they teach about gun reform.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

For those who were asking how to talk to their kids about this, here's some primers from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

In an alternate universe that picture is in history books one day when they teach about gun reform.

the rightist intelligentsia that try "debate me you coward" energy but never manage to not look like a twerp are staring in dismay at this stunt

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

loving of course

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The original reason that was ditched so that normal business could be conducted even when some senator or other had a snit about a particular bill. It's not totally useless these days, but the proportion of bills that get blocked is obviously paralyzingly high.

Oh no, we wouldn't want the Senate to be paralyzed and incapable of performing normal business.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Even in a war it can be hard to get soldiers to fire directly at people on the other side who are firing at them. There were studies on this after WWII.

Maybe, although the guy who pushes this idea hardest is Dave Grossman, who is a crank who teaches cops to murder people.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe, although the guy who pushes this idea hardest is Dave Grossman, who is a crank who teaches cops to murder people.

Well one of the ways to get them to is dehumanizing whoever you’ve want them to shoot at and yes Grossman is absolutely a horrifying monster.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Even in a war it can be hard to get soldiers to fire directly at people on the other side who are firing at them. There were studies on this after WWII.

Those studies have an enormous asterisk beside them due to dodgy methodology and conclusions not really supported by their findings. If I recall, the nugget of truth in it is closer to "in modern warfare, most soldiers never end up with individual enemies in their rifle sights."

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Condemned for making it a political agenda. What the gently caress else are we supposed to do? No one is doing anything.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Killer robot posted:

If I recall, the nugget of truth in it is closer to "in modern warfare, most soldiers never end up with individual enemies in their rifle sights."

It’s behavioral though because it can be greatly reduced by training. The big example I remember is that a good chunk of the shots rather than being at enemy soldiers are over the heads of them. unfortunately the book that talks about it is packed.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

I honestly think at this point there is nothing to be said but assume americans actually approve and support such shootings.

They do.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It is inconceivably stupid that the current talking points are "the transes did it," "the transes made god do it," and "there are too many doors in public school buildings." I look at this sort of thing and I'm incapable of seeing it as sincere because it's just so completely wrong by every metric I understand. But I work with conservatives who, apparently, actually really do believe that these things are true and that addressing them would fix the problems society has.

I don't think that Ted Cruz has a sincere bone in his meat sack, but I know that there are a very large number of adults with jobs and children who believe that if the school had but one door, and that door had armed guards, this would solve the problem of school shootings.

Because none of them have ever heard of the shirtwaist factory or understand why any kind of regulations exist at all, even.

I would like to believe that there are ways of reaching an accord and moving forward, but these same people, when shown a workplace problem that caused deaths, and was resolved by policy changes, and understands the policy changes are what stopped the deaths would still say the policies are not necessary because these things don't happen any more.

How can you have legislation of any kind when a sizable chunk of the country would apparently immediately decide that whatever legislation you just passed was onerous and unnecessary the moment the problem it fixed was fixed? To say nothing of the half that think the problem is good, actually. It's just. Ugh. :d2a:

e2a: I guess to do ... something with this bullshit nonsense -- the thing I'm trying and failing to describe in any kind of eloquent way is what I think leadership lacks on the left. If Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens can effect public opinion on issues by being whatever the gently caress kind of sideshow they are, surely it would be possible for someone to firmly and directly say "people should not have guns" and have that message gain approval just by having someone say it repeatedly without qualifying it. That's not an insane thing to think, right?

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 26, 2022

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Silver2195 posted:

I feel that any mention of this idiot is incomplete without also noting that he was a co-author of a military scifi series where the main character literally fucks a tank.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 26, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

eviltastic posted:

I feel that any mention of this idiot is incomplete without also noting that he was a co-author of a military scifi series where the main character literally fucks a tank.

Stopped clock is right twice a day etc etc

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ershalim posted:

e2a: I guess to do ... something with this bullshit nonsense -- the thing I'm trying and failing to describe in any kind of eloquent way is what I think leadership lacks on the left. If Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens can effect public opinion on issues by being whatever the gently caress kind of sideshow they are, surely it would be possible for someone to firmly and directly say "people should not have guns" and have that message gain approval just by having someone say it repeatedly without qualifying it. That's not an insane thing to think, right?

Anyone that does so will fairly quickly be coopted, corrupted, or assassinated on behalf of capital.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CmdrRiker posted:

Condemned for making it a political agenda. What the gently caress else are we supposed to do? No one is doing anything.

Beto listed a bunch of actions the governor could take right loving now to help. A lot of stuff that is considered untenable through federal legislation is possible at the state and local level, and in Texas the governor has a lot of power. Abbott has used his power effectively to do as much harm to his state as he can.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

A big flaming stink posted:

did they specify whether or not he had ballistic plates within the plate carrier? He was technically "wearing" body armor if he has just the plate carrier on, it just does absolutely nothing

also the tweet's gone

from what i recall, systemic studies of gun violence have shown that the only sort of gun control that would have a meaningful effect on gun violence is a complete ban on handguns.

so yeah, lol lmao etc etc

bans or severe restrictions on hand-guns is how you reduce most gun crime. bans or severe restrictions on semi-automatic rifles is how you reduce mass shootings.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/PabloReports/status/1529631169834360832

Jesus christ.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CmdrRiker posted:

If you want something done you're going to have to do it yourself, for example:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

quote:

UVALDE, Texas (AP) — Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman’s rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.

“Go in there! Go in there!” nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the close-knit town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

Javier Cazares, whose fourth grade daughter, Jacklyn Cazares, was killed in the attack, said he raced to the school when he heard about the shooting, arriving while police were still gathered outside the building.

Upset that police were not moving in, he raised the idea of charging into the school with several other bystanders.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” he said. “More could have been done.”

“They were unprepared,” he added.

Minutes earlier, Carranza had watched as Salvador Ramos crashed his truck into a ditch outside the school, grabbed his AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle and shot at two people outside a nearby funeral home who ran away uninjured.

Officials say he “encountered” a school district security officer outside the school, though there were conflicting reports from authorities on whether the men exchanged gunfire. After running inside, he fired on two arriving Uvalde police officers who were outside the building, said Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson Travis Considine. The police officers were injured.

After entering the school, Ramos charged into one classroom and began to kill.

He “barricaded himself by locking the door and just started shooting children and teachers that were inside that classroom,” Lt. Christopher Olivarez of the Department of Public Safety told CNN. “It just shows you the complete evil of the shooter.”

All those killed were in the same classroom, he said.

Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw told reporters that 40 minutes to an hour elapsed from when Ramos opened fire on the school security officer to when the tactical team shot him, though a department spokesman said later that they could not give a solid estimate of how long the gunman was in the school or when he was killed.

“The bottom line is law enforcement was there,” McCraw said. “They did engage immediately. They did contain (Ramos) in the classroom.”

Meanwhile, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said the Border Patrol agents had trouble breaching the classroom door and had to get a staff member to open the room with a key. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

Really sounding like the cops just sat around waiting for him to run out of ammo blowing holes in 8 year olds .

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FishBulbia posted:

I honestly think at this point there is nothing to be said but assume americans actually approve and support such shootings.

Republicans do.

Otherwise they wouldn't actively block and obstruct any attempts at change

It's one thing to ignore it and do nothing. It's another thing entirely to deliberately ensure the problem cannot be addressed.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 26, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manchin is the more damaging of the two but god I loving hate her more and I already hate Manchin a lot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalli posted:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Really sounding like the cops just sat around waiting for him to run out of ammo blowing holes in 8 year olds .

Jesus loving Christ

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kalli posted:

Fact Check, Not True!!

they were also supposedly getting their own kids out of classes while hoping the guy would either run out of ammo or off himself

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Nicholas Kristof has a fairly detailed, cited opinion piece in the NYT on gun control policy:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

The claim that the police were getting their own kids out of classrooms appears to originate in a new york post article that may paraphrasing a quote in a manner designed to invite misinterpretation.

quote:

Police officers rushed into the school to get their own children out of the school, he added.

[deliberately placed photo separating claim from source]

“There was some police officers, families trying to get their children out of the school because it was an active shooter situation right now, it’s a terrible situation right now,” Olivarez said. “And of course just as we mentioned the loss of life is just terrible, it’s a terrible tragedy that took place.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

Headsup, there's a really big recall of Jif peanut butter and related products due to possible salmonella infection.

Details and lot numbers affected are listed here:
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...tial-salmonella

Be sure to read the masterful legalese under the heading "Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements".

This recall has since exploded in scale; since they haven't nailed down the source yet and peanut butter from the factory is used in many other products (fudge, candy, ice cream, etc, especially lunch "snack packs"), it's expanded massively to other products. I recommend folks check the general FDA recalls page.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Nicholas Kristof has a fairly detailed, cited opinion piece in the NYT on gun control policy:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

The claim that the police were getting their own kids out of classrooms appears to originate in a new york post article that may paraphrasing a quote in a manner designed to invite misinterpretation.

Yeah not sure why folks need to go down that route when there are already numerous articles and eye witness reports that the cops stood still and let a dude freely murder children.

Isn’t that bad enough as it is?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Onion finally found a way to take their infamous mass shooting article to the next level.

Scroll down the home page.

https://www.theonion.com/

Thank you TheOnion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Interesting precedent that you can literally open fire on American cops and they won't even try to return fire until they have backup and think you're low on ammo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kalli posted:

Whoa now, that's not true. They took immediate, decisive action to aggressively restrain parents who were trying to get in and rescue their dying children.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 26, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Retributive justice isn’t the only type of justice.

Ask who deserves what from multiple positions relative to the event. Suddenly it’s way more complicated and hard. Real justice isn’t easy and straight forward in the way retribution is and DV is addressing this in the way that tries to work towards it.

Sure, it isn't. But you cannot simply look at what is happening and say that it is just.

Actually even if it is complex and as nuanced as you are saying it is, a claim I disagree with because it appears based on the idea that justice is being worked towards at all, it can still be obvious who possesses guilt. There is also the fact that power needs using in this instance.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
In my (contracting)line of work, I am often in public schools. On the day of the shooting, I was in a small town elementary school.

That day another local elementary school had a gas leak or something, I forget what, and the children there had been brought to the school I was in for the day, so the place was buzzing. I love kids, always have. They’re just so adorable and friendly, always so interested in who I am and what I’m doing, I can’t help but laugh at how they jump and play and run up to me and wave and and yell “HI” over and over and have to be dragged away by their teachers explaining to them that I’m working and busy.

When the news broke, it hit me that the children who died that day could have been just like any of the children I had interacted with the same day. They probably had that same adorable energy, and hell, it’s barely even a metaphor. The same exact children I had seen that day could one day die in a mass shooting right here, and it wouldn’t even be shocking anymore. I held it in as best I could and cried on the drive home.

It’s no longer that we’ve turned our backs on the children on this country. When this happens, and we do nothing, and it happens again, and we still do nothing, as I suspect….and will happen again, in the future, inevitably. It’s as though in so many ways, we hold the children of this country by the shoulders, look them straight in the eyes, and say “I don’t care about you. Whether you live or die makes no difference to me.”

I feel a bit cringe writing all of this. I just really need to vent somewhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arizona elected a vacuous remedial child trapped in an adult's body to be one of their United States Senators. A woman who is literally distracted by cookies and juice boxes and shiny objects.

Someone tell Chuck Schumer to jingle some keys in front of her face and see if that can trick her into voting to abolish the filibuster.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Arizona elected a vacuous remedial child trapped in an adult's body to be one of their United States Senators. A woman who is literally distracted by cookies and juice boxes and shiny objects.

Someone tell Chuck Schumer to jingle some keys in front of her face and see if that can trick her into voting to abolish the filibuster.

Hi Arizonan here and multiple Sinema voter through her Congress and Senate runs. All I can say is right up until she was elected to the Senate she seemed like a Republicans worst nightmare. She would call herself a "Prada Socialist" a decade ago and the Republicans would run the most hilarious attack ads about it which to my mind just made her a more attractive candidate.

Then she got elected to the Senate and I don't know what the gently caress happened but she hoodwinked the hell out of us. I don't know if she's getting bankrolled by the Republicans now but it sure seems like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Charliegrs posted:

Hi Arizonan here and multiple Sinema voter through her Congress and Senate runs. All I can say is right up until she was elected to the Senate she seemed like a Republicans worst nightmare. She would call herself a "Prada Socialist" a decade ago and the Republicans would run the most hilarious attack ads about it which to my mind just made her a more attractive candidate.

Then she got elected to the Senate and I don't know what the gently caress happened but she hoodwinked the hell out of us. I don't know if she's getting bankrolled by the Republicans now but it sure seems like it.

I pray people like her and AOC are just bad people because the alternative is that the system is that powerful.