Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Sean posted:

Same. The poster they were responding to was doing some bit about "it doesn't mean 'assault rifle'" which is 1) bad faith 2) doesn't add to the discussion 3) is meaningless in this conversation and 4) "unoriginal" "already talked about" and other similar reasons related to probes I've seen that only list originality-adjacency. This bullshit "doesn't mean assault rifle" is an old as gently caress nra/fox/oann talking point.

The probed post was rhetorically stating that gun fetish trivia was not relevant to the overall discussion.

Appreciate you and the couple of other posters who can use context clues and interpret posts. But there's no shame in getting probed from the Worst Thread.

For the record -: gently caress gun culture and all its bad-faith, poo poo-eating acolytes who turn up to do a pedantic end-zone dance every single time there's a tragedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cops are literally coward LARPers. Unreal.

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1529652093354536961

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gun culture is all about how the Right Man a Gun can stop tragedy, while law enforcement pushes "Everyone in the classroom is already probably dead, no reason to start a posse."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
People make fun of the Aztec's for their human sacrifice. They were doing it so the sun would keep rising and the world would continue to exist.

Republicans conduct a blood sacrifice of 20000 people a year and have children murdered so they can continue to own an assault rifle.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comstar posted:

People make fun of the Aztec's for their human sacrifice. They were doing it so the sun would keep rising and the world would continue to exist.

Republicans conduct a blood sacrifice of 20000 people a year and have children murdered so they can continue to own an assault rifle.

They are also doing it so their world continues to exist

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Then she got elected to the Senate and I don't know what the gently caress happened but she hoodwinked the hell out of us. I don't know if she's getting bankrolled by the Republicans now but it sure seems like it.

From the last round of “what the gently caress, sinema” there was an article that quoted a ton of people that knew her. The conclusions were that sinema is insanely ambitious and that she truly believes the way to solidify her position in Arizona and best prepare herself for a future presidential run is to cut a road directly in the middle of
both parties. She also hoovered up every dime of lobbyist cash she could get her hands on, and she seems confident that when the time comes she can just buy her way to re-election from satellite altitude.

She’s stupidly taking the exact opposite strategy of McCain when it comes to the press. McCain would invite people over to grill out, would give unprecedented access, was really a good dime store politician in that regard. Bought him a ton of good press. She does the exact opposite where she refuses to engage them at all. She’s like some lovely Diocletian in that she views her position as sacred and no one (except lobbyists) is good enough to speak to her directly. She doesn’t even have responsive offices in Arizona. She’s completely absent. You can imagine walking into her office involved passing through several closed doors and smaller offices. And McCain did famously dare gop voters to go pick cabbage in Yuma for five dollars an hour.

Her personal instincts are loving hideous though, and she picks the worst loving times to show how crass and insensitive she is. Talking poo poo to piss off the Republican outrage machine is one thing, and it’s actually something democrats should do more often. But doing this poo poo now, and in such a glib fashion, is absurd. On top of that she’s generally impossible to work with. The Biden admin leaked numerous stories that she would not even give them ideas of what she wanted during the BBB debates. She was just flexing her power because she could/was paid to.

Even the gop ghouls know they need to get out there and say SOMETHING even if it’s bullshit. It looks even worse since mark kelly basically said “republicans what the gently caress is wrong with you.” And remember his wife was shot in the head after Sarah palin put a bullseye on her head in a flyer.

So in conclusion, it’s a combination of…

1. Very foolish attempt to emulate McCain. It’s one thing to work with Dems from the gop, it’s completely different the other way around, especially now and especially on something like this.

2. Hideous political instincts. They were good enough to get her to the senate sure, but shes clearly out of her depth in general and especially on this. Recall after her curtsey moment and the backlash she placed an ad for a political advisor on like monster.com

3. this is her. She is a vain and capricious monster who does not feel like she has an obligation to the people that elected her or the nation at large. Attitudes like this are a display of power because she clearly feels she is above both immediate and long term consequences, and can make up for it by buying good press. Expect another puff piece about her personal journey to become a sommelier.

Biden’s agenda is loving dead and it’s a fools errand to believe her (or manchin) are going to come around. They should cawthorn her and be done with it. Dare her to switch parties.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Most of the confusion over Sinema last year seemed incredibly willful to me. You had business interests shouting her out by name as someone who was explicitly sabotaging the BBB on their behalf but the predominant discourse around here(and in much of the press) was just "wowee who can possibly fathom the motives of this inscrutable bimbo trickster goddess, who knows???" The alternative was admitting the BBB(and therefore pretty much all of Biden's agenda except the highway bill, really) was dead in the water but it took a long rear end time before that became a commonly accepted view. She was running the same game Manchin was, and her refusal to make specific demands was just a blatant(and successful) method of running down the clock, but for some reason people just really wanted to believe she was a big dummy who couldn't make up her mind or whatever

The two common counterarguments I really remember were that she'd be primaried for sure if she was actually sabotaging Biden's agenda(maybe, but if she wants to keep her seat that bad, she could easily either switch parties or hold the general election hostage as an independent, and throwing the general election to get rid of a conservative candidate is supposedly anathema for the national party), and if she were successfully primaried, she'd be totally screwed because she'd be too unpopular to get a lobbying job(even though DC Republicans are all incredibly horny for her) and none of the business interests who bankrolled her would pay her a shitload of money for bullshit speeches after the fact because "they would no longer need her" despite it being an extremely easy and simple method for direct bribery that all the current and future Senators you were looking to bribe could trust. In either case it felt like trying to impose a weird moral framework on electoralism that doesn't exist. Idk, early-to-mid 2021 was a very weird time

She's just an aggressive sellout with a really annoying personality, that's it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

She's just an aggressive sellout with a really annoying personality, that's it

Hell on some level I respect that more than those who merely pretend to care and do nothing with their power (See: while the way she did her thumbs down for the living wage vote got all the attention she definitely wasn't the only dem to vote against it).

It sucks, don't get me wrong, but in a way I can respect.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah not sure why folks need to go down that route when there are already numerous articles and eye witness reports that the cops stood still and let a dude freely murder children.

Isn’t that bad enough as it is?

https://twitter.com/_Sir_Perfluous/status/1529585786848411651

"We've heard that some law enforcement officers actually went into school to get their kids out" ... "There was some police officers, families, trying to get their children out of the school because it was an active shooter situation"

You can watch the video here, the quote is ~1:10 in. I'm not really sure how else you interpret that statement other than that some cops went in to get their kids while they were keeping other parents from enterring.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ellasmith posted:

I pray people like her and AOC are just bad people because the alternative is that the system is that powerful.

Ok, I'll bite: what did AOC do to get put into the same category as fuckin Sinema?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What a loving worm this guy is. The interviewer uses the phrase "American exceptionalism" to refer to this being a problem only we face and Cruz turns on the fake indignance and acts like the guy was attacking the concept of "American exceptionalism" as a whole. Then of course he runs away.

https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1529784584996630528?s=20&t=sTriUUdzYGceUvc6KnsUvA

Comstar posted:

It's likely already been posted but it's the best piece ever written on this problem:

quote:

It was the sacrifice we as a culture made, and continually make, to our demonic god. We guarantee that crazed man after crazed man will have a flood of killing power readily supplied him. We have to make that offering, out of devotion to our Moloch, our god. The gun is our Moloch. We sacrifice children to him daily—sometimes, as at Sandy Hook, by directly throwing them into the fire-hose of bullets from our protected private killing machines, sometimes by blighting our children’s lives by the death of a parent, a schoolmate, a teacher, a protector.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2012/12/15/our-moloch/

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ok, I'll bite: what did AOC do to get put into the same category as fuckin Sinema?

Playing a part for the sake of her career.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ellasmith posted:

...yeah that's nowhere near the same level of fuckery Sinema does.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Kalli posted:

If you want something done you're going to have to do it yourself, for example:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Really sounding like the cops just sat around waiting for him to run out of ammo blowing holes in 8 year olds .

God loving dammit. Police just waiting around for a different police department to show up or what. I hope that community wrings them out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I bet all those pundits and politicians whining about "defund the police" for the past two years feel awfully stupid now!

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

...yeah that's nowhere near the same level of fuckery Sinema does.

Agree to disagree.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Comstar posted:

Yes but owning that gun means they're free and freedom is the god they're sacrificing to. They also don't want their kids to die but dead kids are better than freedom going away in their heads.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I also read that the person who took the gunman down was an off duty border patrol agent that almost got shot in the head while he engaged in single gunfire. Why do we have police and why do they have guns?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CmdrRiker posted:

I also read that the person who took the gunman down was an off duty border patrol agent that almost got shot in the head while he engaged in single gunfire. Why do we have police and why do they have guns?

Defund the police and fund border patrol agents who hang out near elementary schools on their off-time?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CmdrRiker posted:

A city that gives 40% of the budget to cops and they cannot do a god damned thing against an armed assailant.

https://twitter.com/DissanaikeMD/status/1529820293019144193?s=20&t=8Tttdjla2h-5KPijR1KGqA

"Actually guys its not our lovely cops its the Border that's the problem!"

I hope they recall this fucker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CommieGIR posted:

A city that gives 40% of the budget to cops and they cannot do a god damned thing against an armed assailant.

https://twitter.com/DissanaikeMD/status/1529820293019144193?s=20&t=8Tttdjla2h-5KPijR1KGqA

"Actually guys its not our lovely cops its the Border that's the problem!"

I hope they recall this fucker.

Uvalde's Congressman is a Hispanic Republican with the same immigration beliefs, so he's not a total outlier for the area.

Henry Cueller also represents a similar district and his entire campaign against Cisneros was about immigration and public safety.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The area has low voter participation most likely, and the only people who vote are the same people who vote now. I'd hope after such an event, the people who live there will want an active role in the future, because the Mayor and that police force are loving failures.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Waited for someone to open a door for them Jesus loving Christ. Someone should have told them the shooter was a black guy smoking a joint and they would have busted that door open

ellasmith posted:

What does "playing a part" entail here?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I for one am flabbergasted that the babylons protected their own children and not the citizens of the state.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Uvalde's Congressman is a Hispanic Republican with the same immigration beliefs, so he's not a total outlier for the area.

Henry Cueller also represents a similar district and his entire campaign against Cisneros was about immigration and public safety.

It's worth keeping in mind that: non-citizen immigrants can't vote, and that racism is not the only form of prejudice that exists against immigrants. Some white guy in BFE might want to limit immigration because he hates brown people as a rule, but a Hispanic person can just as easily (rightly or wrongly) say, "Mexico and Central America have huge problems, I don't want those problems making their way here, we need strict border enforcement." And, you know... Hispanic people living along the border might very well be US citizens going generations back, because god knows the border has changed many times both in terms of shape and porousness, and they may or may not feel any particular connection with people living south of the border.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PT6A posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that: non-citizen immigrants can't vote, and that racism is not the only form of prejudice that exists against immigrants. Some white guy in BFE might want to limit immigration because he hates brown people as a rule, but a Hispanic person can just as easily (rightly or wrongly) say, "Mexico and Central America have huge problems, I don't want those problems making their way here, we need strict border enforcement." And, you know... Hispanic people living along the border might very well be US citizens going generations back, because god knows the border has changed many times both in terms of shape and porousness, and they may or may not feel any particular connection with people living south of the border.

That's what I'm saying. The tweet quoted said "How did he get elected in a city that is 80% hispanic?!?" and that is why. He isn't an outlier opinion on immigration there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's what I'm saying. The tweet quoted said "How did he get elected in a city that is 80% hispanic?!?" and that is why. He isn't an outlier opinion on immigration there.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you and expanding on it, not trying to contradict you.

It's still something of an rear end in a top hat move to be anti-immigrant, in my opinion, but everyone should be able to see where it comes from.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

What does "playing a part" entail here?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/us/politics/aoc-israel-iron-dome.amp.html

This is the one of the most pathetic things an elected representative has done in years.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Srice posted:

Hell on some level I respect that more than those who merely pretend to care and do nothing with their power (See: while the way she did her thumbs down for the living wage vote got all the attention she definitely wasn't the only dem to vote against it).

She wasn't even the only Dem to do the performative thumbs-down against a living wage.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Terminal autist posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/us/politics/aoc-israel-iron-dome.amp.html

This is the one of the most pathetic things an elected representative has done in years.

Not going to defend AOC on this but lol if "voting present instead of no on a bill that was going to pass overwhelmingly anyway to avoid nasty politics and then honestly apologizing to her constituents for her poor behavior" is "one of the most pathetic things an elected representative has done in years". Like, just lmao. I want to live in that universe.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Terminal autist posted:

This is still nothing akin to what Sinema's existence is, and doesn't explain what "Plays a part" means.

She was harassed horribly over a lovely funding bill that was being pushed through and just wanted the abuse to stop? gently caress her I guess, but neither you nor ellasmith have given evidence that she's bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sinema is the logical result of the Dems treating Manchin as a special boy for years, someone else is going to want in on that grift.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Crain posted:

This is still nothing akin to what Sinema's existence is, and doesn't explain what "Plays a part" means.

She was harassed horribly over a lovely funding bill that was being pushed through and just wanted the abuse to stop? gently caress her I guess, but neither you nor ellasmith have given evidence that she's bad.

she went to congress saying she was going to fight evil, and when the chance to do what she said she would presented itself, she burst out in tears while saying 'nah evils fine actually'

she presented herself as one thing. she turned out to be another.

I'm less hard on her than most- there's no support structure for her and all the support in the world for her opponents, her crumbling was an inevitability- but the story of AOC, Proud Fighter Against Monstrosity died weeping and voting 'present.'

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Terminal autist posted:

On American scale that doesn't even hit Top 1500, but I agree that it is pathetic and I wonder what she got in return (probably nothing)

Crain posted:

I agree that it has nothing on Sinema too and it wasn't even a yes vote.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just got a notice that the universal background checks bill that passed the House in 2021 is now back in the Senate calendar (along with similar legislation drafted by Senate dems):

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 26, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
If our progressive leaders in Congress can't even do the bare minimum of a symbolic opposition vote there's no hope for progressive politics through electoralism. AoC is worse than Sinema because she is not only ineffective but she imo she also betrays progressive politics. Also the pathetic part isn't changing her votes its the crying and circus around it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Sure, it isn't. But you cannot simply look at what is happening and say that it is just.

Actually even if it is complex and as nuanced as you are saying it is, a claim I disagree with because it appears based on the idea that justice is being worked towards at all, it can still be obvious who possesses guilt. There is also the fact that power needs using in this instance.

Nobody at all is saying it’s just.

I’m saying you’re hyper focused on one of the many injustices.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Our "warrior" cops with full-on military gear spent a large amount of time pissing their panties outside while that fucker was mowing down children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjSLAUFWSo

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-school-shooting-politics-texas-shootings-56a4d01fb1cda19947db89fcb6bd85fd

Cops are all tacti-cool when they hide in their unmarked cars and do road piracy. When it matters most, they are loving cowards.

Cops are loving cowards. And if one reads this and doesn't like it, go beat your loving wife over it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Terminal autist posted:

AoC is worse than Sinema because she is not only ineffective but she imo she also betrays progressive politics

This is exactly what people hate Sinema for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
One of the most anti illegal immigrant people I know is a latina whose family came a long time ago legally and she has no understanding that the processes by which her family immigrated are no longer possible.