Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
normal egg nonpriority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess at least he's just a weird old guy who doesn't completely get it and not someone writing it to prove that they're such an ally that they can imagine having sex with a man or whatever. which is usually how gay characters in fiction come off. it's either their only personality trait or they're some kind of awkward soapbox prop.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well his interview about his thoughts on lesbians was pretty weird but that got scrubbed from the jedi archives so it's pretty hard to find quotes from

also i. would not say the way he writes lgbt characters is generally better than anyone else. i think there are several manga writers who are cooler at writing them. i would say, that there are many lgbt manga writers, who i think wrote cooler stuff. no you can't use the blue flag author to own me here

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 25, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1529522820769882114?s=20&t=q3T-HF8sG9JflFjepTHuKA

Why try to improve on perfection?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i should watch the movie sometime. i remember hearing it was fun

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

Like all Wachowski movies it rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the Speed Racer anime (and its remake/sequel/whatever the other series was) still hold up out of curiosity? I know there’s a fansubbed version out there so I thinking of seeing how it looks uncut

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Does the Speed Racer anime (and its remake/sequel/whatever the other series was) still hold up out of curiosity? I know there’s a fansubbed version out there so I thinking of seeing how it looks uncut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY9YNF5MMQo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I’ve heard the Japanese version has some questionable racial representation as well but that’s kind of par for the course as far as early anime goes from what I’ve seen)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 25, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yeah im glad that doesnt happen anymore

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

marumaru posted:

yeah im glad that doesnt happen anymore

At the very least most black people in modern anime don't look (as much) like racist stereotypes any more (hell, they even tweaked Chocolove's design a bit in the recent Shaman King reboot)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, I’ve heard the Japanese version has some questionable racial representation as well but that’s kind of par for the course as far as 80’s/90’s anime goes from what I’ve seen

when did you think Speed Racer was made?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

when did you think Speed Racer was made?

Ah, I was off by a couple decades it seems (the dub was reaired on Cartoon Network in the 90's though so that's probably what threw me). Point still extends to that era as well though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 25, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

hell, they even tweaked Chocolove's design a bit in the recent Shaman King reboot

huh, didn't know about that, neat. apparently they also call him Joco instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that was something they had already done in the 4Kids dub.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

marumaru posted:

The movie absolutely rules. I think it suffered after it's initial release from looking poo poo on home video, but in high def on a massive modern television it's amazing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was something they had already done in the 4Kids dub.

I actually can’t remember if he still had the big lips in the original anime or not come to think of it but if so then in this case I’m glad the dub edited over that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw speed racer in theaters on release, nobody else was there. It was an incredibly memorable experience

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there were FOUR Speed Racer shows, two from Japan (Speed Racer and Speed Racer X) and two American made ones (New Adventures and Next Generation)

From what I hear, not a single one of them holds up and the live action movie is the best thing to come out of that franchise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the old anime is good

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Was it just the Speed Racer episodes that were airing on Cartoon Network in the 90s or dubbed anime from that era in general that felt like everything was on a 1.5 ff function? The pace of the show, granted this is memories from 30 years ago, always seemed like it was insanely rushed compared to any contemporary cartoons.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

not sure about speed racer but a lot of shows got heavily edited down

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah i wouldn’t watch speed racer or astroboy either! anime got good in 1979, thank you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pentyne posted:

Was it just the Speed Racer episodes that were airing on Cartoon Network in the 90s or dubbed anime from that era in general that felt like everything was on a 1.5 ff function?
I think a big function of that was the dub writers trying to literally jam everything translated 1:1, with the VAs being told "you have about 3 lines of dialogue to cram into 4 seconds"

Animation-wise the sped up pace is probably asset reuse to cover limited production budgets.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

didn't the speed racer dub ep scripts get tled in like, 3 days or something and they had to match all the lip flaps?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The speed racer dub's issues come from America in the 1990s having way more commercial time per half hour block than Japan in the 1960s. So in addition to any any lip flap issues your script is compressed by several minutes to make way for more commercials.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related, has the manga Speed Racer was apparently based on been translated? And if so, is it any better than the anime?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i must confess an Anime Crime: i think urusei yatsura looked really good in that teaser

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

marumaru posted:

i must confess an Anime Crime: i think urusei yatsura looked really good in that teaser

Wait, is that a crime?

I thought it looked somewhere between alright and good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you're supposed to hate it because it has no reason to exist and has compromised at least one other anime's production to do so

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they sure did use some bright colors but i'm not sure what else there is to care about, i just went ahead and grabbed a chunk of the old show to start on that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it looks fine its just a bummer they're spending so much resources making 50 episodes of that rather than making something new. noitamina isn't quite the quality guarantee it was a decade ago but i would still much rather get a year's worth of new noitamina shows than this

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

dogsicle posted:

you're supposed to hate it because it has no reason to exist and has compromised at least one other anime's production to do so

Which show was that out of curiosity?

Ps just finished kokkoku (awesome rec ty) so now I understand your av

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sleng Teng posted:

jojo stone ocean

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

jojo part 6

anything else coming out of davidpro could be feeling similar issues though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dogsicle posted:

That makes more sense. Thank you.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

marumaru posted:

you’re among friends here.

urusei yatsura rules. great time to reboot it now, as well. lots of potential new fans with city pop+80/90s having a moment plus lots of old weebs who want more lum

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they have to make an Urusei Yatsura, they seem to have made a pretty good looking one. It's hard to tell how much of Stocean being hosed over is other projects interfering and how much of it is Netflix just being backwards at distribution, but I ain't gonna hold that against the people at the studio making the Lums.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's multiple things, nobody is saying it's the fault of the people making lum so much as, the fact that davidpro is stretching themselves way too thin, and producing urusei yatsura at the same time as stone ocean takes away staff who could be working on stone ocean. considering stone ocean is a long anticipated adaptation and urusei yatsura is, a redundant adaptation of something that already has what is generally considered to be one of the best comedy adaptations ever made, it's kind of obvious why that would leave people frustrated

that said stone ocean also just kind of seems like the most uninspired jojo adaptation so far so i'm personally not sure how different it could have been. but my interest in new lum is also in the negative zone

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ahh okay I completely forgot about jojo since it's on netflix with a silly release schedule, thanks all. I do agree davidpro probably needs to charge their anime crystals a bit though they are probably under a lot of pressure not to do so