Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the place where pieces of a hurricane passing over it killed more people than the actual hurricane?
probably wouldn't want to do direct-coast florida or some poo poo but yeah. west/sw is in a megadrought with increasing fires and loss of nature with not much hope in sight, midwest (outside the great lakes region) sucks rear end with increasingly lovely weather and killers of it's own. north carolina/vermont/maine/upstate ny/mass/etc is probably one of the better places to be in the coming years because at least they won't run out of water or have half the state burn down every year. lotta increasing problems there and there's no "good place" though but the areas with increasing housing costs and intracontinental movement seems to showing much more desirability there than rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CongoJack posted:

People moved out of Seattle? To where, Bellevue?

"Out" of Seattle. The ones I know moved to Bellevue, Redmond, and Maple Valley.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

2 of those 3 places are even more expensive than Seattle proper!!! :monocle:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ornery and Hornery posted:

2 of those 3 places are even more expensive than Seattle proper!!! :monocle:

but they have """""good schools"""""

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I can kind of understand the Maple Valley guy as he's an older married with kids dude. Not sure what the other people are doing though. Lol

Guess people have more money than sense.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

all the people I knew who graduated from evergreen (with liberal arts degree) and moved to Seattle had to move to Tacoma about 5-10 years ago because of tech workers. some that hung around a little longer went back to Yakima or wherever more recently (it’s OK to be gay there now, they say). the ones who moved to Tacoma are really mad because the pandemic flock of Seattleites hosed up their chances at affording a place to live.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i just want a house

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I can kind of understand the Maple Valley guy as he's an older married with kids dude. Not sure what the other people are doing though. Lol

Guess people have more money than sense.
a friend working at a tech company in austin put in a $400,000 bid on a doublewide on three acres two hours out of town, the rest of us were shocked and asked why

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i just want a house

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i just want a house

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm curious about this claim too. From personal experience a lot of people have moved out of Seattle, still haven't moved back.

Some of the bay area tech companies were doing pay cuts if you were working remote. I bet that is going to bring a good amount of people back.

anyone who moved from a tech city to a smaller town without getting an explicit "I can keep WFH forever" document from their employer is a dummy lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i say swears online posted:

the COL downgrade for moving away from the bay area is still worth it for most folks i'm sure. i haven't heard about anyone being forced to move back to tech hubs. nobody even left austin in the first place

companies are probably in a dilemma where the first major corp to mandate in-office work will get hit with massive resignations. WFH seems to built-in and beneficial to a company's bottom line tbh, why pay commercial rent?

business sociopaths need to see the people who are doing the work so they can lord it over their lessers

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

anime was right posted:

all of the people who got to work from home in bozeman montana suddenly have to abandon their houses to move back to the bay area and austin lol. having a sub 30 minute commute, especially with high gas prices, is gonna be what grabs people again.

don't dox my unsuccessful dating life.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ok I had two separate conversations today with two different people telling me they were considering putting their deposit and savings towards buying and living in south east Asia rather than buying here in Melbourne... i'm guessing there's some new tiktok life hack making the rounds about retiring at 30 in Vietnam or something?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
That's always been a meme with creepy alt dudes now I guess it's making in roads with normies

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Can confirm, I lived in HCMC for four years and you could always spot the creepy Australian and his way too young "local guide."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.tiktok.com/@charlie__chang/video/7082152932103277867

Retire forever for $100K! #vietnam

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

SE asia rules. It's beautiful, the people are kind, the food is off the hook. I hate that a tide of australian, english and german pedos makes it so sus to live there.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

before they blocked bank transactions and stuff I’d sometimes get tiktoks suggesting retiring to Russia and living off of dividend stocks

I’m sure there are plenty of places you could swing it with cheap rents

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
To legally move to Uruguay you have to show a reliable monthly income of roughly $1500.00 per month per person so that's my current bolt hole dream.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Just for funsies I looked at house prices in the part of northern Indonesia I worked in for a season in high school and you can get a 3bed 3bath house a little outside the city for $40K usd or an 3/2 apartment in the middle of the city for $90K.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just live in a dumpster like oscar the grouch jeez you're all making this too drat complicated.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nice and hot piss posted:

Just live in a dumpster like oscar the grouch jeez you're all making this too drat complicated.

There's a joke in here about really small city dwellings being worth it if you're surrounded by a vibrant culture

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nice and hot piss posted:

Just live in a dumpsterbespoke street-level studio with private entrance in an historic neighborhood like oscar the grouch jeez you're all making this too drat complicated.

Only $2200/m w/first/last/security deposit. Must pass compulsory $499* background check and meet landlord's vague yet deeply held decency standards. Small pets (worms) okay with additional pet deposit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

To legally move to Uruguay you have to show a reliable monthly income of roughly $1500.00 per month per person so that's my current bolt hole dream.

You can comfortably live off about the same in Mexico, but you can't own property as an immigrant, you have to buy through a trust.

I thought about Lake Chapala for a while. Large expat community, higher elevation, big lake. The lake is polluted and maybe neck deep in most places. Prices are higher because of the expats. Crime is, well, it's Mexico.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I was looking at investment visas and the one for Thailand (currently about 220K US for 10 years) covers the investor, their spouse, any biological children, and one "live in maid or staffer" which given what people say about Thailand's expat community seems to have an aura of menace.

Saint Lucia, on the other hand is "eh, we'll sell you a passport for $150K, you dont even have to show up lmao"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Anglos don't need to colonize more of the world.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes but certain deeply badbrained anglos (like me!) need to hyperfixate on something and spend hours researching it for no real reason so here we are.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Saint Lucia and the rest of the Antilles seem like a great place to get wrecked by a hurricane

i knew a guy who grew up in both barbados and st vincent and the grenadines which are just south. that area got hit pretty hard by ivan in 2004

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Anglos don't need to colonize more of the world.

sure, and i am personally happy to go down with the sinking ship of my country, but i do not blame people for not wanting to share that decision, and not all relocation is colonization

still, if life events led me to change my mind, i'd just go to the last place not corrupted by capitalism: unoccupied Korea

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

projecthalaxy posted:

Yes but certain deeply badbrained anglos (like me!) need to hyperfixate on something and spend hours researching it for no real reason so here we are.

practically a subforum motto

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

sure, and i am personally happy to go down with the sinking ship of my country, but i do not blame people for not wanting to share that decision, and not all relocation is colonization

still, if life events led me to change my mind, i'd just go to the last place not corrupted by capitalism: unoccupied Korea

https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’d like to expat but I also like my friends and family who live here. also my job doesn’t translate well overseas rip

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

What do you call being someone wealthy enough to relocate who chooses to move to a "cheaper" country in the 3rd world?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when I'm a climate refugee I'm moving to Luxembourg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I’m learning Spanish primarily so retiring to Cuba is an option

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I’m learning Spanish primarily so retiring to Cuba is an option

i figured it would be super difficult but they offer reasonable six-month "snowbird visas", which may operate like thailand where you can live there permanently as long as you fly in and out once per period

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
yeah but in the meantime I’m tryna find a Cuban to do a citizenship swap marriage with

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

y'all gonna high-five each other in opposite-facing customs lines?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I think we’ll have to live together for a few years in each country but have you seen real estate prices lately, gotta have a good roommate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
single white male, seeking authentic Cuban sandwich with benefits