Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1529920321465327616?s=21&t=lXmLgVCp8IunI6mXS8WI6A

The police are useless. 12 minutes he was shooting outside of the school and nothing happened. It keeps getting worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Between gun rights and Roe v. Wade has there been a better time for Democrats to try to pack the court on the argument that they're trying to restore balances and checks to a system that's lost its way? I know the answer is that they just don't want to but lmao what a way that would be to light a fire under the asses of supporters. Hell, it even gives an actual direct answer to "elect more Democrats" since you can draw a direct like to electing Democrats and getting judges on the bench.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, why not attack the situation from the right then? Calls for gun control clearly have fallen on deaf ears. Have the NRA and GPO twist themselves in knots on why one should own a gun but not a drone. Rights are rights and freedom is freedom after all.

Attacking things from a logical view one does not share with you is silly. Follow their logic to the proper conclusion.

Right wing politicians in office are already being attacked from the right by primary challengers. Anyway I'm confused on what you'd intend to accomplish by doing this. People got mad when Trump signed the bump stock ban, but generally they fell back in line soon enough.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Flying-PCP posted:

Right wing politicians in office are already being attacked from the right by primary challengers. Anyway I'm confused on what you'd intend to accomplish by doing this. People got mad when Trump signed the bump stock ban, but generally they fell back in line soon enough.

The idea is to make the republicans either get in line with gun control or go open season for folks to get the rights they supposedly have under the 2nd amendment.

Apparently attacking from the right is the only thing that works in the country (given the rightward trend this country has been on since the 80s). Might as well embrace it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My "We didn't murder any children" shirt has people asking a lot of questions answered by my "We didn't murder any children" shirt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The idea is to make the republicans either get in line with gun control or go open season for folks to get the rights they supposedly have under the 2nd amendment.

Apparently attacking from the right is the only thing that works in the country (given the rightward trend this country has been on since the 80s). Might as well embrace it.

Who are you winning over with this strategy? When has undercutting the right from the right ever worked a single time?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I would very much like to see this nation's cop addiction dealt with. The fever pitch of gun worship/cop worship/toxicity worship is corrosive, and the worse the event the more hysterical and deranged the reaction from the right-wing.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1529915387634143248?s=20&t=EeXwTWlD1rOHONRkXBqEtA

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Would anyone be interested in making a gun control thread, so we can have deeper discussion and something established to return to when a current even causes interest in it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I still never understood why guns are ok for the American public to own but not rocket launchers, weaponized drones, nukes, etc.

What is the fundamental difference?

At least those that insist on supporting the 2nd amendment should be consistent.

Because US jurisprudence even today rests in part on the judiciary's ability to go "but that textual conclusion is stupid and leads to insane results". I don't know precisely when it was but at some point the courts went from "private ownership of the mightiest weapon of war, a boat what got cannons on, is fine and good" to "perhaps there is a magnitude of weapon that should be difficult or impossible for private individuals to acquire". Just completely spitballing, somewhere between the Maxim Gun and WW1?

Strict textualism isn't just insane, it's new.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1529920321465327616?s=21&t=lXmLgVCp8IunI6mXS8WI6A

The police are useless. 12 minutes he was shooting outside of the school and nothing happened. It keeps getting worse

What the loving poo poo? Between this and the 40 minute “preparation time” this whole thing was a complete disaster.

Why is it when the cops SHOULD be aggressive law and order types (e.g. January 6th) they fail to do so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
e: nm

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

kzin602 posted:

Those rights were pinned while under occupation on one side and wilderness on the other, they were making a statement of defiance against the British army by stating that people can have arms and even organize a 'well regulated' milita in the interest of community defence. It makes sense in the context of also forbidding soldiers from forcing themselves into a home to use for shelter.

I don't know or even pretend to know the exact meaning of that infamous comma. Do they mean that arms are only allowed by militias? By anybody 'well regulated'? Or what but the original meaning makes it clear for the REASON to have arms. I don't believe that semi auto rifles fall within that reason and even if they existed at the time I doubt the founders would have considered them a reasonable 'well regulated' arm.

It's also important to remember that at the time of the revolution, a large source of complaint was that the British maintained a large, expensive standing military that naturally enough was looking for trouble abroad or getting in people's faces in the colonies. That's part of what the complaint about taxation was: it's all going to go toward armies that don't benefit you and cops that make your life worse. It's not like the American founders were allergic to taxing to pay for public works in their own back yard, at least by the standards of a small, agrarian 18th century nation. So part of the goal was to not have an army tromping around taking your money and making trouble for you: instead, you raise an army as needed. Civilian gun ownership was an easy cost saver since your militia knows how to shoot and might have their own guns, and state or local governments could organize other aspects as they saw fit.

This was notably exercised during the Whiskey Rebellion when Washington responded by rounding up an army and riding west. The armed mob rebelling against the government wasn't the 2nd amendment in action, but the government forces that scared them into disbanding sure were.

That isn't really as practical today for a lot of reasons, and not just because the US is so militarized; it's also because a bunch of guys with small arms is no longer a center you can build a functioning army out of. The general US aversion to large standing armies (navies another matter) persisted into the 20th century, but as warfare and the US itself industrialized, the little agrarian state's view of how to defend itself on the cheap became largely obsolete.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Papercut posted:

I'm not at all an expert on this, but isn't antisocial personality disorder a real thing recognized by the DSM? I think it'll be hard to convince the average person that anyone who would kill a classroom of kids *isn't* mentally ill.

yes but it's very thin. It gets maybe three pages out of 900 or so in the DSM. for adults it's more of a catchall for anyone who gets involved in crime or violence.

also we don't really train psychologists to actually treat ASPD. The treatment is basically: you go to prison and get beaten.

i'm not making this up. Google local psychologists or counselors in your area and see how many specialize in antisocial. you're not going to find a lot of providers. now do a search for OCD, depression, anxiety, eating disorders or any other disorder and see how many are available. it's not even close.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/tom_winter/status/1529524085759385600?s=21&t=SE8u_mv2hbudFvkOEMpWOQ

I’m guessing they know the autopsies aren’t going to say this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My “I did not shoot any children” shirt etc etc.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

DeeplyConcerned posted:

yes but it's very thin. It gets maybe three pages out of 900 or so in the DSM. for adults it's more of a catchall for anyone who gets involved in crime or violence.

also we don't really train psychologists to actually treat ASPD. The treatment is basically: you go to prison and get beaten.

i'm not making this up. Google local psychologists or counselors in your area and see how many specialize in antisocial. you're not going to find a lot of providers. now do a search for OCD, depression, anxiety, eating disorders or any other disorder and see how many are available. it's not even close.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is largely thought to be untreatable, and I don't think law and order types are going to like what's recently been found to be the only thing that gets psychopaths to even remotely moderate their behavior: rewards, bribes, and positive reinforcement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Anyone arguing that a civilian assault rifle is a useful tool against the American government, in any form, has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Such a viewpoint purposefully ignores the dozens of incidents proving otherwise.

I understand the mentality of "everyone else has them so I might as well have one to protect myself". That's rational. What's not rational is thinking a lovely AR15 is a check against the power of the government. It's not. It can protect you against an intruder (as unlikely as that may be). It can't protect you against an infantry squad, an armored vehicle, a SWAT team, or a drone-fired missile.

What about a killdozer? Dude made that out of a bulldozer, some steel plates and some reinforced concrete then leveled an entire town

Youth Decay posted:

You know I hadn't even considered that, but as this situation starts to reveal itself it's starting to sound like once the cops actually got into the school they just fired off a bunch of shots across the classroom possibly hitting the children since they were too scared to actually go near the shooter or try and separate him and the children somehow.

Wouldn't autopsies determine what type of rounds killed each kid? Jesus Christ I can't believe I had to type that sentence

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, why not attack the situation from the right then? Calls for gun control clearly have fallen on deaf ears. Have the NRA and GPO twist themselves in knots on why one should own a gun but not a drone. Rights are rights and freedom is freedom after all.

Because 95% of NRA members will agree that citizens should be able to have rocket launchers and drones

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 26, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

What about a killdozer? Dude made that out of a bulldozer, some steel plates and some reinforced concrete then leveled an entire town

He died op. That’s how all resistance ultimately ends when it comes to the finish line. There just aren’t any real victories. Maybe Battle of Athens in 1946. They’re rare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

In almost all those cases federal response was delayed or purposefully ”waiting” for a bit like in Athens, but especially when it comes down to the National Guard and armored vehicles, that’s when the song ends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1529524085759385600

Ok, the cops definitely shot a bunch of kids themselves

.....why would you even have to say this unless you DID it.

https://twitter.com/MyCancerJourne3/status/1529933105359753218?s=20&t=OMImNvQJHJHvZzoyDQ43MA

https://twitter.com/MyCancerJourne3/status/1529933108182515713?s=20&t=g1SBlqBU1Oj42kFNUFpHlg

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 26, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Antisocial Personality Disorder is largely thought to be untreatable, and I don't think law and order types are going to like what's recently been found to be the only thing that gets psychopaths to even remotely moderate their behavior: rewards, bribes, and positive reinforcement.

got a link for the bolded? i dont know about psychopathy, but there are treatments (basic adaptations of CBT) that have been pretty effective at reducing antisocial behavior.

also I'd be pretty cautious about making the claim that something is untreatable when an equally compelling explanation is that our current treatments for that something suck, or are implemented poorly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention the Federal Government won the Civil War in 1865 against people following the very idea of "Gun owners fighting back against the Government"

While the Confederacy was defeated as a political entity with a formal military, paramilitary violence was an ongoing problem in the subsequent years, with state and local governments unable or unwilling to suppress it. Federal troops were frequently needed to rein in riots, street violence, and outright coup. In the end, violent white supremacists were able to outlast the federal government's willingness to occupy the South, and were effectively able to take control after the end of the Reconstruction, establishing a political dominance that would last for more than half a century.

Blindly focusing just on the role that guns played is silly, though. The decisive factor there was the widespread dislike of the local populace toward Reconstruction, as well as the support of wealthy and politically-connected people and the backing of numerous ex-soldiers and ex-police. In events like the Battle of Liberty Place or the Wilmington Insurrection, thousands of armed ex-soldiers would take to the streets, often after publicly organizing in broad daylight with no effort to hide their identities or their plans. Their sheer numbers overwhelmed the police and local militia to such an extent that they were often able to steal the police's heavy weapons, driving away militia artillery crews and raiding government armories, to equip themselves with more powerful weapons than they personally owned. They would often directly target the buildings of city government, local newspapers, and other major notables.

In the end, it resembled a colonial occupation, with the distant federal government having difficulty imposing its will on a hostile local population where many were willing to die fighting Reconstruction and many more were willing to help shelter and support the rebels.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

got a link for the bolded? i dont know about psychopathy, but there are treatments (basic adaptations of CBT) that have been pretty effective at reducing antisocial behavior.

also I'd be pretty cautious about making the claim that something is untreatable when an equally compelling explanation is that our current treatments for that something suck, or are implemented poorly.
Antisocial personality disorder is (usually) the clinical term for what is colloquially called sociopathy or psychopathy. The latter two have never been in the DSM as far as I know. Most normal therapy treatments don't work on ASPD, and mostly just teach better manipulation tactics and so so can actually make it worse. There also aren't any effective drugs.. Children don't get diagnosed with ASPD, but having "conduct disorder" is a strong predictor for a future ASPD diagnosis. I have heard that there is potentially more effectiveness in treating children with the positive reinforcement tactics with an aim to make prosocial behaviors sort of reflexive, even if they will never have a standard "conscience."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#Treatment

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1529524085759385600

Ok, the cops definitely shot a bunch of kids themselves

Normally I want to see more reports before assuming the worst but gently caress it. I'm pissed. gently caress those baby killers. I'm not sorry if I get probed for this worthless post. gently caress them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RE: Mental illness

Isn't it true that most bipolar, schizophrenic or even psychopathic people are far more likely to harm themselves than others? I don't know what you call the thing that leads someone to decide to murder a school full of children and shoot their grandma but I feel safe assuming it's SOME form of mental illness.

It's part of why I always like to see these people taken alive because maybe we can learn something.

Vahakyla posted:

He died op. That’s how all resistance ultimately ends when it comes to the finish line. There just aren’t any real victories. Maybe Battle of Athens in 1946. They’re rare.

Oh, I know man. I was just trying to bring some sarcasm/humor into the folly that citizens can wield or build anything that can resist the full force of the government. And that motherfucker gave it hell.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 27, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

Normally I want to see more reports before assuming the worst but gently caress it. I'm pissed. gently caress those baby killers. I'm not sorry if I get probed for this worthless post. gently caress them.

It's less worthless than the entire fire range sub forum, which should be removed from something awful. The mods around here have big (we're just libs like the democrats energy) going on lately.

(Minus video games sub, they seem to be well handled).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

LionArcher posted:

It's less worthless than the entire fire range sub forum, which should be removed from something awful. The mods around here have big (we're just libs like the democrats energy) going on lately.

(Minus video games sub, they seem to be well handled).

Absolutely American brained, non-Americans only in TFR is the answer.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Because 95% of NRA members will agree that citizens should be able to have rocket launchers and drones

Sounds good. You’re not going to get folks to push harder for gun control when the loudest group “sounds reasonable”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not to say I disagree but maybe we can save the bitching for a different thread? Thanks.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

cat botherer posted:

Antisocial personality disorder is (usually) the clinical term for what is colloquially called sociopathy or psychopathy. The latter two have never been in the DSM as far as I know. Most normal therapy treatments don't work on ASPD, and mostly just teach better manipulation tactics and so so can actually make it worse. There also aren't any effective drugs.. Children don't get diagnosed with ASPD, but having "conduct disorder" is a strong predictor for a future ASPD diagnosis. I have heard that there is potentially more effectiveness in treating children with the positive reinforcement tactics with an aim to make prosocial behaviors sort of reflexive, even if they will never have a standard "conscience."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#Treatment

I'm not buying Gabbards 2000 handbook of psychotherapy as a great source for ASPD being untreatable. difficult to treat I can buy - of course if you're not trained to treat something it's going to be difficult.

The idea that giving people with psychopathic symptoms treatment is self defeating because they'll somehow use it against you is ludicrous and has never been backed up by anything.

but this all just backs up my initial point: we as a society don't treat people with antisocial personality disorder because we don't train our treatment providers to treat antisocial personality disorder. definitions are murky because we haven't taken the time to clarify them through research - same problem.

that doesn't mean we should just give up.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Beau had a good take for once? I don't understand how cops standing around waiting for shooters to run out of ammo isn't a criminal offense.

Beau has a lot of really good takes pretty consistently.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

.....why would you even have to say this unless you DID it.

Awful logic. People deny doing stuff they didn't do all the time.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

In almost all those cases federal response was delayed or purposefully ”waiting” for a bit like in Athens, but especially when it comes down to the National Guard and armored vehicles, that’s when the song ends.

All resistance that is fighting uphill for more rights of any kind results in fatalities. The labor wars were a brutal grind from not long after the civil war ended to WW2 starting. Many died and were maimed to earn the rights we are losing right now. It was not a direct path either. A lot of you should know this.

God almighty the extent of "people might get hurt so why try to do anything" on this particular thread is repulsive. What's the point of believing in anything if there is nothing in your life that would compel you defend firmly held rights with force and anger.

I can't tell what any of y'all have done so I can't really judge but I get a real heavy stink of "I've only ever donated money or done nothing" from some of y'all and it's really irritating.

Also when it comes to guns vs. the gov't if one 18 year old with an AR can freeze an entire county and federal districts worth of law enforcement while a moral nightmare states them in the face with people and cameras everywhere maybe small arms are actually influential at some scales. Protests left and right wing tend to not have cops nearby when the protest is open carry. Weird how that is.

Guns are far from the main issues staring us in the face and nowadays the conversation only exists to fundraise. DNC wants money and to disarm as many people likely to actually hurt them or their patrons and the RNC wants as many of their drooling syncophants yahoos to be armed as possible when overstretched police departments begin large scale deputization of overtly fascist districts. The gun argument is going nowhere. Dehumanize yourself, learn first aid and how to shoot. Then do more productive poo poo with your life and try to get by once you concrete those skills.

Also yeah it's fellow citizens that are more likely to murder folks than cops in the near term of things going tits up so yeah it's not wasted energy. Some folks are more fearful of certain types of randos and it's telling nearly 100% of my trans friends have learned to shoot or gotten back to shooting in the last two years. Fear is real and ya know what a little preparedness placebo helps some of us cope.

Any law that involves taking rights away will just be weaponized against undesirables. Cops still are the force that enforces the law. It should be obvious what powers they obey.

I'm sick of this loving argument. It never goes anywhere.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Flying-PCP posted:

It looks like in a number of cases the right is going down a path of legally empowering fascist vigilantes to hurt people in ways they haven't managed to do yet through direct legislation, so, yknow, that might be worth factoring into the conversation.

This. Obviously being armed isn't going to do anything against a government with tanks and drones. But against marauding bands of Proud Boys out looking to kill Democrats, Gays, and Brown people I don't think its crazy that to want to be armed against that. Will it do any good? Probably not in the end but not everyone wants to go down without at least taking a fascist with them. And if you think the scenario of militia running around going after those they consider undesirable is crazy then you don't know history. The Proud Boys, 3 percenters, Oath Keepers etc are all modern day brownshirts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

random rear end twitter account whose history seems to include some potentially iffy claims

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
We're not gonna do a "TFR must be deleted" derail. Just like with complaints about CSPAM, the D&D mods have no influence on TFR and griping here accomplishes nothing other than making GBS threads up this thread. There are plenty of US Current Events to post about. If you have issues with other subforums of SA, take it to QCS or admins.

Yes, the admins and Jeff actually do read QCS and have the power to take action if they think it's warranted. D&D mods do not.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fart Amplifier posted:

People who are in power pre-emptively explain that they didn't do a thing before being accused of a thing? And this also holds for normal people?

Well, I definitely didn't eat pizza for lunch and I don't know why anyone would suggest that. People get accused of eating pizza all the time.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

Fair except there are zero reasons to ever trust cops and even negative statements about them that are false should be considered true. Otherwise you end up defending a member of state sponsored violence.

In other worse, pick your battles.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fart Amplifier posted:

People who are in power pre-emptively explain that they didn't do a thing before being accused of a thing? And this also holds for normal people?

Well, I definitely didn't eat pizza for lunch and I don't know why anyone would suggest that. People get accused of eating pizza all the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ray Liotta died at age 67

Is that a current event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The cops would want to check if they had hit any kids because they had to open fire on a gunman inside a room full of kids. Maybe they're lying but it's not an incriminating statement.