Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

sebmojo posted:

Dragon age 1 is infinitely better if you read each of the lore pickups as you get them, it adds a lot of texture to the World and the story

That's how it is with lore readables in general. You have to read them when you get them, otherwise they'll get lost in the morass of documents you're picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

flatluigi posted:

i think your game glitched out because they're supposed to play cutscenes unique to the terminals with some background lore and not fmvs from other games spoling those games

Those cutscenes tend to make references to lore actors and concepts that won't come into play (and indeed won't really make sense to the player) until much later in the series. I'm pretty sure I found one in Halo 1 or 2 that referenced some forerunner character who wouldn't actually show up until Halo 4. It's less foreshadowing and more referencing things under the assumption that the player had already played the series before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

i think your game glitched out because they're supposed to play cutscenes unique to the terminals with some background lore and not fmvs from other games spoling those games

You're right, looking at when the terminals are placed in Halo 1, they actually spoil the game you're already playing and only reference future games occasionally. You could forgive me for thinking they are from later games then I hope because they're narrated by Guilty Spark before you even meet him, and I already knew he comes back in 3. The whole Master Chief collection assumes you are already a super fan of Halo and played it in high school and it extends a bit to the stuff they added to the gameplay.

edit: The game that came out before Halo CE Anniversary was Reach and it had a fine solution in the form of readable data pads, including several that only appear on Legendary. That was a lot cooler. Some of them dropped from specific enemies even.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:36 on May 21, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Some of the best environmental storytelling in a videogame is the Elementary School in F.E.A.R. 2. You go in knowing bad things have happened , but the reality is so much worse as you read data and look around at the classrooms and start putting the pieces together.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

One of the penultimate bosses in Elden Ring has some sucky parts to their fight like the full screen unblockable shockwave, but he goes berserk halfway through and has a grab where he jumps fifty feet in the air and slam dunks you like he came out of Dragon Ball Z so I guess I can’t be too mad.

That boss was so loving weird and felt out of place in a From game. The first phase was fine but when he goes full-on Zangief mode I could not stop laughing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

edit: It's in Siren Alley, there's also a ton of free ammo from corpses that've been pinned to the walls and ceiling. Look up in games, there's cool stuff above you!

Getting players to look up is apparently a god drat struggle in development. I know they talk about it in the Portal dev commentary, and I've heard about other tricks other developers have used to try to direct players' attention upwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne has some really awesome subtle camera re-centering tech that I'm sad they didn't reuse in Elden Ring. If you aim the camera high, then let go of the stick, it'll temporarily loosen the auto-centering when you return to movement and stay pointed skyward until you adjust the vertical angle yourself again. They also crammed the hud into the top of the screen so there's nothing for your eyes to gravitate toward along the bottom, I think that may have helped encourage people to behold the paleblood sky a little more naturally.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:55 on May 21, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

That boss was so loving weird and felt out of place in a From game. The first phase was fine but when he goes full-on Zangief mode I could not stop laughing.

I read some lore from I think an Evergaol boss drop saying he used to be a berserker before he got his animal buddy that he ditched for phase 2 so it wasn’t like, the weirdest thing ever in the context of a series where a horse man gets knocked to half health, picks up the Holy Moon Greatsword lying just offscreen, and pulls a reverse Gascoigne. Still loving surreal though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Celebration posted:

I read some lore from I think an Evergaol boss drop saying he used to be a berserker before he got his animal buddy that he ditched for phase 2 so it wasn’t like, the weirdest thing ever in the context of a series where a horse man gets knocked to half health, picks up the Holy Moon Greatsword lying just offscreen, and pulls a reverse Gascoigne. Still loving surreal though.

I prefer to think it has nothing to do with his power level and instead was simply him realizing a badass and insane way to initiate round 2 of a fight

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lechtansi posted:

Yes, how dare a video game do something other than pres butan shoot mans.

Cyberpunk is great and it was great when it came out. Is it better now? By far. Nothing is perfect. Other studios spent all their dev time copy pasting dungeons so they could claim that their map is huge, CDPR spent their time creating bespoke side quests with full voice acting and unique animations. It's the first game that ever got me out of my "I'm gonna min max this game" minset and into role playing.

lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lechtansi posted:

It's the first game that ever got me out of my "I'm gonna min max this game" minset and into role playing.

Disco Elysium was this for me because it made being a gently caress up fun and didn’t just end the game or lock you out of content

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
The chaos dunk boss fight in Elden Ring is cool as hell. He gets called out in the beginning cut scene as a barbarian warrior or something too iirc so I wasn't super surprised about the second phase.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I prefer to think it has nothing to do with his power level and instead was simply him realizing a badass and insane way to initiate round 2 of a fight

I mean, he didn’t have to kill Serosh barehanded and bathe in his blood so I don’t see how one precludes the other.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CJacobs posted:

Bloodborne has some really awesome subtle camera re-centering tech that I'm sad they didn't reuse in Elden Ring. If you aim the camera high, then let go of the stick, it'll temporarily loosen the auto-centering when you return to movement and stay pointed skyward until you adjust the vertical angle yourself again. They also crammed the hud into the top of the screen so there's nothing for your eyes to gravitate toward along the bottom, I think that may have helped encourage people to behold the paleblood sky a little more naturally.

Oh man, it's barely related but I recently started playing Mercenaries 2 again and it does something I love in driving and driving-adjacent games: if you adjust the vertical angle of the camera while driving, it stays there, even when it auto-centers horizontally, so if you're driving a monster truck and need to angle the camera down, or up a hill and need to angle it up, you only need to do it once.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, he didn’t have to kill Serosh barehanded and bathe in his blood so I don’t see how one precludes the other.

You just don't understand

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

tired gay and dead posted:

The chaos dunk boss fight in Elden Ring is cool as hell. He gets called out in the beginning cut scene as a barbarian warrior or something too iirc so I wasn't super surprised about the second phase.

He’s Nephili’s father and crusty old whatshisface spends the entire game telling you how she’s some heathen barbarian so yeah.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

One of the penultimate bosses in Elden Ring has some sucky parts to their fight like the full screen unblockable shockwave

Jump

It's super easy to dodge. Which I completely overlooked until playthrough 2 :l

Bushmaori has a new favorite as of 16:26 on May 21, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That mid-fight cutscene was great. "I've given thee courtesy enough". No that's ok! I would like more courtesy please!!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bargearse posted:

When you look at it that way, gaming really is a cost effective form of entertainment.

Yeah but you're not thinking about associated costs. For instance, for every hour of gaming you need to drink around $35 of Gfuel to maintain optimal performance.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah but you're not thinking about associated costs. For instance, for every hour of gaming you need to drink around $35 of Gfuel to maintain optimal performance.

:hmmyes: you've gotta look at the TCO of gaming

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

You're right, looking at when the terminals are placed in Halo 1, they actually spoil the game you're already playing and only reference future games occasionally. You could forgive me for thinking they are from later games then I hope because they're narrated by Guilty Spark before you even meet him, and I already knew he comes back in 3. The whole Master Chief collection assumes you are already a super fan of Halo and played it in high school and it extends a bit to the stuff they added to the gameplay.

edit: The game that came out before Halo CE Anniversary was Reach and it had a fine solution in the form of readable data pads, including several that only appear on Legendary. That was a lot cooler. Some of them dropped from specific enemies even.

This bugged the hell out of me too. I continue to be annoyed with remasters/remakes/whatever that take this bizarre and contradictory path where they are simply Not Allowed to gently caress with anything too fundamental to the original experience, but then just find a different way to ultimately totally alter the experience. We can't possibly touch up The Library to make it less of a crime against humanity, but we can totally gently caress up a ton of the pacing and storytelling and outright spoil future poo poo, that's a-ok.

(Okay yes I'm aware there's probably more simple technical reasons for not outright mucking around with the maps in Halo 1, but still.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 21, 2022

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man for the Playstation 4: The voice and likeness of Stan Lee appears as Coffee Shop Owner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Last Celebration posted:

One of the penultimate bosses in Elden Ring has some sucky parts to their fight like the full screen unblockable shockwave, but he goes berserk halfway through and has a grab where he jumps fifty feet in the air and slam dunks you like he came out of Dragon Ball Z so I guess I can’t be too mad.

The best part of that fight is that it's suddenly basically a fighting game, and so suddenly fighting game strategies work.

He's a grappler, grapplers ALWAYS have bad matchups against zoners!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The best part of that fight is that it's suddenly basically a fighting game, and so suddenly fighting game strategies work.

Puppet Character really messed him up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something I realize I really like about Dark Souls 3/Elden Ring is how weapon arts are a tool that incentivized the devs mixing up combat for your enemies too. Like, to be honest I never used weapon arts in DS3 but it’s usually a thing that enemies play by the same “rules” as the player, and that extends to generic knight guy suddenly whipping out a slash made of blood or the same old dark knights you already thought you knew using the black knight greatsword arts.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I started playing Final Fantasy XI again out of nostalgia, I hadn't played it since 2004. I'm kind of amused that it seems they couldn't really remove a lot of the more annoying early-2000s-mmo features, but they were able to transform those features into the least annoying possible versions.

Like, giving you easy access to high-powered NPC party members.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

That is a helluva way to do genre mix-ups.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I only just started playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night but it’s pretty cool that this spiritual successor to an iconic Konami franchise has a character whose voice actor is either doing one hell of a Solid Snake impression or is just plain David Hayter voicing a rugged samurai man.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Last Celebration posted:

I only just started playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night but it’s pretty cool that this spiritual successor to an iconic Konami franchise has a character whose voice actor is either doing one hell of a Solid Snake impression or is just plain David Hayter voicing a rugged samurai man.

That is indeed David Hayter as a magic samurai

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

They also crammed the hud into the top of the screen so there's nothing for your eyes to gravitate toward along the bottom, I think that may have helped encourage people to behold the paleblood sky a little more naturally.

But that gets in the way of people staring at a point on the ground about five metres in front of their character for the entire game.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I finally beat la mulana after 10+ loving years of trying. Then I saw there’s an achievement for clearing the game in less than 10 hours and genuinely laughed outloud

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I know a guy who runs the La Mulana randomizer, and routinely beats the game in about two hours. Stuff gets waaaay easier when you already know the solutions to all of the puzzles.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

On the other hand, there is something very freeing about looking at an achievement and deciding "I'm not gonna do that."

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That was me with the ‘Seriously?’ Achievement in Gears of War.

I liked the game and it’s multiplayer but I didn’t even make it to half of the 10,000 needed multiplayer kills.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I know a guy who runs the La Mulana randomizer, and routinely beats the game in about two hours. Stuff gets waaaay easier when you already know the solutions to all of the puzzles.

Have you tried playing the game? Even knowing the puzzles it’s an rear end in a top hat of a game. I’ve heard people say in Fromsoft games, the devs hate you - but those games are at least fair. La mulana embodies that spirit, only you can hear the devs laughing at you after you die in some stupid cheap way for the thousandth time. It’s a puzzle-solving exploration-driven platformer that actively punishes the player for exploring. Go somewhere you’re not supposed to be yet? Enjoy being endlessly frustrated and maybe soft lock your game. Check every nook and cranny for clues? A bunch of those nooks contain instant unavoidable death traps. Sure hope you saved because there’s no auto-save in this game.

Special shout-our to my favorite “gently caress yous” over the course of my decade-long-long conquest of this motherfucking game:
The chain whip upgrade path contains an incredibly hard platforming section with a long walk-back if you fail immediately followed by a difficult mini-boss that will likely kill you a few times before you figure it out. Oh and after that you get precisely 2 chances to finish the puzzle to obtain the whip upgrade. If you fail, you’re locked out of the upgrade forever. Oh and I should also mention that the whip upgrade puzzle can also kill you.

gently caress the sacred orb upgrade in the dimensional corridor sideways. A mini boss fight where you have to bait a particular attack to get it to unreliably knock you into the room with the upgrade followed by a ludicrously janky / insanely hard platforming puzzle which you have to complete knowing that one tiny gently caress up is “reset the game and try again” with a long walk-back as there are no save points nearby. Oh and you still have to kill the mini boss after you get the upgrade and if you die, lol - start over.

You know how video game final bosses sometimes have 2nd or maybe 3rd forms when you kill them? The final boss in this game has 5. Actually more like 13 if you count the invulnerability period it gains during its last form when it gains an attack from each boss you’ve beaten. That’s not the lovely part though. The lovely part is that there’s an escape sequence ala Metroid afterwards only they disable your loving fast travel that you’ve had for literally the entire game. Good loving luck trying to plot a way out of that huge rear end maze on the fly with a 5 min timer ticking down. Oh and the kicker? If you make it back to the entrance by some insane stroke of luck, turns out it’s collapsed and you were supposed to go to some random other place based upon an obscure piece of dialogue from a character YOU MIGHT NOT EVEN HEAR if you don’t check back with her frequently and/or right before you beat the game.

Oh and if you die on the escape, you have to fight the final boss again.

Just lmao La Mulana
In all seriousness, it’s a fantastic (incredibly frustrating) game with one of the best soundtracks in history. Seriously, you will tolerate dying hundreds of times because the music is just that good and maybe next time you can get juuuust a little further.

PS: this is a game that really benefits from not looking up answers online unless you are really stuck. It’s incredibly rewarding.

PPS: I bought the collector’s edition of 1&2 for the PS4 and am now starting on 2. See you in 2032

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 27, 2022

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
There's an achievement in Dead Rising 1 for killing 53,594 zombies in one run, it's the population number on the sign going into the town the game takes place in.

You get a megabuster that one hit kills all zombies and does a ton of damage to bosses if you do it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have beaten both Las Mulana, albeit with spoilers for some of the puzzles. I absolutely get your frustration, especially with the janky controls in the first game. They made it easier to control than the MSX version of the game! ... it's still way harder than most modern games though. One of the reasons that I watch the guy I mentioned is that he's so good at the game that he actually is able to reliably beat it, even when the randomizer throws curve balls at him. Another is that he's super chill, so when he does gently caress up his reaction is delighted laughter instead of swearing and getting angry.

https://twitch.tv/mikansbox

^ the streamer in question. Ona bit of a hiatus right now, but he has a ton of VODs if you want to check out his LM runs.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

tired gay and dead posted:

There's an achievement in Dead Rising 1 for killing 53,594 zombies in one run, it's the population number on the sign going into the town the game takes place in.

You get a megabuster that one hit kills all zombies and does a ton of damage to bosses if you do it.

Left 4 Dead had an achievement that references the Dead Rising one, but for killing 53,595 zombies. The DR achievement is called "Zombie Genocider" and the L4D one is "Zombie Genocidest."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Frank Frank posted:

gently caress the sacred orb upgrade in the dimensional corridor sideways.
A mini boss fight where you have to bait a particular attack to get it to unreliably knock you into the room with the upgrade followed by a ludicrously janky / insanely hard platforming puzzle which you have to complete knowing that one tiny gently caress up is “reset the game and try again” with a long walk-back as there are no save points nearby. Oh and you still have to kill the mini boss after you get the upgrade and if you die, lol - start over.

This won't make you feel much better, but IIRC you can use the Lamp of Time to freeze the water geyser attack in place and just swim up it like a normal chunk of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have beaten both Las Mulana, albeit with spoilers for some of the puzzles. I absolutely get your frustration, especially with the janky controls in the first game. They made it easier to control than the MSX version of the game! ... it's still way harder than most modern games though. One of the reasons that I watch the guy I mentioned is that he's so good at the game that he actually is able to reliably beat it, even when the randomizer throws curve balls at him. Another is that he's super chill, so when he does gently caress up his reaction is delighted laughter instead of swearing and getting angry.

https://twitch.tv/mikansbox

^ the streamer in question. Ona bit of a hiatus right now, but he has a ton of VODs if you want to check out his LM runs.

I just killed fafnir and this game is already light years beyond the first game:
* Jumping is no longer a floaty lovely mess and you can change directions mid-air without touching a wall (that was a mechanic in the first game that it just straight up never tells you. You CAN change jump direction mid air with a double jump but you need to touch a wall to do it.

* Praise god I can drop off ladders (although it’s still fucky about accessing platforms between ladders)

* Health refills from xp are a ton more generous.

* lots more hand holding in the beginning and signposts for beef gates you shouldn’t be attempting yet (Nidhogg)

Music still fuckin’ slaps though. I seriously want this dev team to compose the music for every game I play from here to eternity. Playing 2 immediately after finishing 1 has all sorts of neat musical callbacks.