Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

remember casio calculator watches? those were pretty nifty

i have one. it's cool

i'd be a watch guy if i had different tastes. instead i have, like, a citizen ecodrive as my "nice" watch (it was something like $250 new, but i bought a replacement from ebay for $50 when i cracked the screen and then took it swimming...) and a pile of casios, none of which cost more than $30

i guess now i have a fitbit luxe too but it was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Casual Encountess posted:

lmao how does this keep happening??

google gotta google

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

Zelle is very easy to use, lol @ the old fogeys itt.

my parents like it. I've used it and it works fine.
venmo works too
idgaf

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

my parents like it. I've used it and it works fine.
venmo works too
idgaf

:eng101: fun fact! because olds use zelle so much it's not taxed as income when transferred. venmo is now, as is paypal, cashapp, basically anything that isn't zelle

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

:eng101: fun fact! because olds use zelle so much it's not taxed as income when transferred. venmo is now, as is paypal, cashapp, basically anything that isn't zelle

that's not why it's because it's a joint venture between the 4 banks that run almost all of consumer banking in the us so it's pretty much untouchable unless you want to piss off chase and wells fargo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yep, my loose understanding is zelle is similar to an ACH transfer but processed immediately and confirmed later. those are normally, at least i thought, fee-free, but zelle doesn't commit to that for all banks, so i'd guess it's partly built on the risk models banks have for each other for pre-approved check limits cross-bank before batch processing ACH transfers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Smells Fartgo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hangouts has been "going away" for a couple of years now. the gmail integration for its successor is hilarious though.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

More like Smells Fartgo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

well, my wife got a new phone and spent the day cursing Google for moving buttons and making poo poo mandatory/impossible to disable, the android war on the user continues

and when she's not looking I'm gonna set the lock screen to say "John Madden!" Again because she couldn't figure out how to turn that off :twisted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

well, my wife got a new phone and spent the day cursing Google for moving buttons and making poo poo mandatory/impossible to disable, the android war on the user continues

and when she's not looking I'm gonna set the lock screen to say "John Madden!" Again because she couldn't figure out how to turn that off :twisted:

love irritating my wife by playing on her entirely reasonable ignorance with the worst phone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

love irritating my wife by playing on her entirely reasonable ignorance with the worst phone

lol that's the take you're going with?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

a long time ago in a mac shop i worked in, people would prank each other by turning on an announce time thing that would read the time aloud softly in a random or default computer voice every 30 min or so on the shared workstations

the setting is buried in the preferences and there was no obv way to turn it off and it was soft enough in volume that you couldn't really tell what it was saying.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

More like Smells Fartgo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bofa deez accounts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

More like Smells Fartgo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

lol that's the take you're going with?

i’m just being annoying, my spouse would politely murder me for doing things like that

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

yep, my loose understanding is zelle is similar to an ACH transfer but processed immediately and confirmed later. those are normally, at least i thought, fee-free, but zelle doesn't commit to that for all banks, so i'd guess it's partly built on the risk models banks have for each other for pre-approved check limits cross-bank before batch processing ACH transfers

its basically like handing someone cash which is why it has no ability to reverse transactions and is the preferred payment method of scammers everywhere

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

sounds like a googleoid or perhaps several googleoids are attempting to assemble a promotion package op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Google Duo is being rolled into Google Meet because of course it is.

Because that's a logical place for it to be rather than Google Chat.
i had to look up what google meet was

apparently it used to be hangouts? maybe?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

i had to look up what google meet was

apparently it used to be hangouts? maybe?

I thought google meet was the competitor to zoom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I thought google meet was the competitor to zoom
yeah, and it spun off of hangouts, i guess, when they decided "hangouts" was chat for enterprise

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Considering dropping Android for the first time since I got the ancient T Mobile G1 when it became a thing.

Moved from the Pixel 3 to S21 Ultra thinking it would be nice to have The Most Premium Android Device for once and uh... Maybe thinking a £1000 flagship phone should be powerful enough to never stutter or lag or hang apps is crazy, but Samsung I guess?

Tbh I think I caved and got this massive phone because it kinda felt like most of the smaller Android phones were just poo poo versions of the bigger "real" version, see Pixel and Pixel Pro, S21 Vs Pro Vs Ultra, and so on. Over time I've basically realised this phone is comically large and having to use it with two hands sucks rear end.

Hardware wise it does seem great. It has some excellent cameras on it, and 0.6, 1, 3, and 10x lenses, but the actual camera app itself is loving laggy garbage, and because Android had about 200k different device models kicking around, the Camera API is too poo poo to let any other apps access anything but the 1x lens anyway so you're stuck with the poo poo app.

There's a million other Samsung specific apps like calendar and notes and all that, and you have to manually hide them or uninstall them (if you can lol) or disable their notifications on a per-app basis or you'll get dual Google and Samsung Calendar, Weather, etc notifications. A bunch of poo poo like Gallery you just can't get rid of so you constantly get asked whether you want to open this photo in Gallery or Google Photos despite never having interacted with the Gallery app at all.

The other day I was in a shop and felt my pocket getting hot because some rogue process was burning my battery and heating my phone up. It had run down to about 50% battery by 11am despite barely having used the thing that day. Just had to restart it and hope for the best. Although as random phone problems go it's less severe than "You installed MS Teams and now you can't call emergency services lol" so I guess I should count myself lucky?

There's a bunch of poo poo I don't like about iPhones but they seem to just work?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Surprise T Rex posted:

Considering dropping Android for the first time since I got the ancient T Mobile G1 when it became a thing.

Moved from the Pixel 3 to S21 Ultra thinking it would be nice to have The Most Premium Android Device for once and uh... Maybe thinking a £1000 flagship phone should be powerful enough to never stutter or lag or hang apps is crazy, but Samsung I guess?

Tbh I think I caved and got this massive phone because it kinda felt like most of the smaller Android phones were just poo poo versions of the bigger "real" version, see Pixel and Pixel Pro, S21 Vs Pro Vs Ultra, and so on. Over time I've basically realised this phone is comically large and having to use it with two hands sucks rear end.

Hardware wise it does seem great. It has some excellent cameras on it, and 0.6, 1, 3, and 10x lenses, but the actual camera app itself is loving laggy garbage, and because Android had about 200k different device models kicking around, the Camera API is too poo poo to let any other apps access anything but the 1x lens anyway so you're stuck with the poo poo app.

There's a million other Samsung specific apps like calendar and notes and all that, and you have to manually hide them or uninstall them (if you can lol) or disable their notifications on a per-app basis or you'll get dual Google and Samsung Calendar, Weather, etc notifications. A bunch of poo poo like Gallery you just can't get rid of so you constantly get asked whether you want to open this photo in Gallery or Google Photos despite never having interacted with the Gallery app at all.

The other day I was in a shop and felt my pocket getting hot because some rogue process was burning my battery and heating my phone up. It had run down to about 50% battery by 11am despite barely having used the thing that day. Just had to restart it and hope for the best. Although as random phone problems go it's less severe than "You installed MS Teams and now you can't call emergency services lol" so I guess I should count myself lucky?

There's a bunch of poo poo I don't like about iPhones but they seem to just work?

it's incredible how samsung became the number one smartphone vendor, you could have written this post in any year from like 2010 on and only have to change the specific specs of the devices in question

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having made the same journey: lag difference is neglible, ios ux not rarely worse than android. but it does indeed just work, and apple does indeed make a good small phone. plus the privacy angle, which was the main thing making me cave in, the phone, os and app store do indeed feel way more on your side.

ios something awful app is way worse than the android one though, beware on that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

having made the same journey: lag difference is neglible, ios ux not rarely worse than android. but it does indeed just work, and apple does indeed make a good small phone. plus the privacy angle, which was the main thing making me cave in, the phone, os and app store do indeed feel way more on your side.

ios something awful app is way worse than the android one though, beware on that.

i kind of gave up contributing to it when two other contributors ran away to retheme the entire ui in a secret repo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the android awful app is pretty dece but you can't start threads with it lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
thinking of open palm slamming graphene os onto a pixel 6 idk maybe that will shore up the privacy angle somewhat

graphene seems like a rom developed by people who at least sort of know what they're doing as opposed to being "maintained" for four months and then abandoned by xda-developers member xXxWeedGoku420xXx (PLEASE TIP MY PAYPAL)

but yeah i do wish there was a usable andorid which was at least a little bit smaller than a fucken battleship but them's the breaks apparently

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

I had a S21U for a while and now it’s just a server for my 3d printer

How big of a scam are these battery tests that instead of being close like the benchmarks show my iPhone 13 is the one that doesn’t drop to 50% just sitting on a shelf in a signal dead zone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

the android awful app is pretty dece but you can't start threads with it lol

all ways of accessing the forum should copy this feature.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

whats the main differences? everytime ive seen a screenshot of the android version it just looks like an uglier version, which i just put down to the android tools rather than the skill of the developers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc the Android one has nice UI stuff like swipe-in forum/thread list sidebars and generally a more pleasant rendering of thread posts

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

it's incredible how samsung became the number one smartphone vendor, you could have written this post in any year from like 2010 on and only have to change the specific specs of the devices in question

This is my first Samsung. Seen a bunch of them over the years bought by friends and wife and they seemed to be getting much better about Samsung-ifying the android OS. Tbh some of the Samsung-specific features are even good! But I felt like I was running out of good choices. Didn't like the Pixel 6 weird camera bump thing and it has a poo poo fingerprint sensor and didn't have Face Unlock (???), and a bunch of the other Android manufacturers other than Google or Samsung have strong "XDA Developers custom firmware getting ideas above its station" energy about them.

Like I say I mainly went for it because I figured "it must be good (even if I don't like the UI and it's a little big for me) at least it'll be basically the best android you can get" and lol, mistake. Doesn't look like that's changing in the future either - just looked at the TechRadar best android phones of 2022 and only 2 of the top 10 are under 6.5" - they're both just "the small poo poo version of the big one".

I still pine for my Moto X.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love awful.app, never used the android equivalent. what’s different about them?

e: left this window open too long I guess, been answered

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

whats the main differences? everytime ive seen a screenshot of the android version it just looks like an uglier version, which i just put down to the android tools rather than the skill of the developers

having switched cold turkey from one day to the other i honestly could not make a good point-to-point comparison. the android one certainly feels like a shallowly wrapped webpage, but in practical use that kind of worked better for what indeed is an actual webpage. not that the ios one is bad (or i'd just use the webpage), but at least ~10 months in it still mostly feels like a lot of effort spent creating janky abstractions

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also this might very well just be me, wanted to spread the complaining fairly os-wise

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

no idea about the android one, but the ios one suffers from classic tiny open source project syndrome where there's one competent and well-meaning but overstretched maintainer working in their spare time, and occasionally an enthusiastic user will parachute in the implement their favorite new feature or ui refresh, then galavant off into the sunset leaving a trail of subtle bugs in their wake, and the backlog of issues and difficult but really nice new features grows over 5 or 6 years

i would try to fix bugs where i could but with zero outside background in ios programming i would often hit walls where i couldn't actually fix the issue and had to give up

e: also i would lmao at all the posters who would come in, say "i'm going to fix this, i'm installing xcode now" only to never be heard from again. to be fair they probably tried to install xcode via the store and are still waiting to this day for it to finish

carry on then fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 9, 2022

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
did you guys know you can use awful.app to watch YouTube with no ads and have the window float so you can watch while u post, tweet, etc?

1. copy YouTube link
2. start new reply in awful
3. paste link
4. tap preview
5. play video in preview
6. home button/swipe
now the vid is playing as its own video window!
7. open awful, swipe down your post preview

now you can browse forums or go to twitter or check your stocks or whatever while a YouTube plays !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Those of you who have made the Android -> iPhone journey - were there any things that iOS does that you absolutely hate?

Notifications seem a bit weird compared to Android when I tried my wife's old XR for a while, and the lack of a global swipe-to-go-back gesture kind of sucks. Though all the ecosystem integration stuff between mac/phone/watch looks like it owns.