Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

veni veni veni posted:

What? What do you think ebt/food stamps and food banks are for?

Not much. Currently you are seeing inflation and more and more people not being able to eat or heat their homes. At least in my country everything is more expensive and there is less and less help available. What we have is a continuing collapse of living standards pressing down on people.

And its probably going to get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but this is why goons drive me loving nuts. Not you Joesf, I get what you are saying, and I don't think you are wrong (assuming we are all talking about the US).

This country is lacking in a lot of ways and that is fine to talk about, but just outright ignoring and dismissing existing programs to paint the bleakest picture you can is just bs and it's what goons do all the time. People do actually have options for assistance if they need it and those options might not be the best, and it's fine to criticize them, but goons just dramatically exaggerate, or straight up make poo poo up so they can have the most cynical take possible on literally everything.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

We had to Berlin airlift baby formula for ourselves. It's not that much of a stretch these days to have an overly cynical take on existing systems, particularly ones like EBT that are means tested to hell and underfunded so that they barely help anyone.

At the end of the day, public assistance is a halfway measure. If we really want to help people, we need to pay a livable wage and decommodify housing, food and health care and provide them for free. No one should ever want for the basic necessities of life.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:32 on May 24, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly disgusted by how the US treats people, but if people want to have an discussion about it's shortcomings, it should at least come from an honest place that doesn't ignore objective truths. Goons just love painting the US as a burning, post apocalyptic hellhole, when in reality it's more of a dystopian shithole.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not be poor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

People do actually have options
Those "options" (which aren't actually optional if you need them) are designed to be as lovely and inconvenient as possible. The hoops they make you jump through don't save money or improve anyone's circumstances, they just make life worse for the people who they're supposedly helping.

And it's odd that you'd bring up food banks, because those only exist because the official systems don't work. If people could survive on the assistance provided by the state then there wouldn't be any need for food banks. No one's exaggerating. A lot of people don't have options and a lot of people don't have access to basic necessities. People in America, the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. die because they literally can't get the things they need to live.

veni veni veni posted:

if people want to have an discussion about it's shortcomings, it should at least come from an honest place that doesn't ignore objective truths.
You're the one ignoring objective truths. The excuses made for why people have to suffer and die are lies. If those in power wanted to actually change things for the better, they could. They have the resources. The simple truth is that they don't want to.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just a quick reminder that resources are not an issue, nature has been conquered, the earth is a bountiful paradise, and humans make all of our own problems

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but this is why goons drive me loving nuts. Not you Joesf, I get what you are saying, and I don't think you are wrong (assuming we are all talking about the US).

This country is lacking in a lot of ways and that is fine to talk about, but just outright ignoring and dismissing existing programs to paint the bleakest picture you can is just bs and it's what goons do all the time. People do actually have options for assistance if they need it and those options might not be the best, and it's fine to criticize them, but goons just dramatically exaggerate, or straight up make poo poo up so they can have the most cynical take possible on literally everything.

I was actually talking about the UK. It is at present 1.70 per litre for unleaded petrol. When I got my car in February it was 1.35.

Our heating has jumped up by over 70% in the last 3 months alone. Everything at the shops costs more than it did at the start of the year. I am trying to keep my head up, but there is not much to be done and even what little work I do get feels somewhat worrying, because it costs so much to get to work.

The way that our systems work is breaking down. It's worrying.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:02 on May 24, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I'm honestly a bit more weirded out by the way that an incident with a flight attendant being sexually harrassed was framed in the context of 'sex work is work' (though of course it is) than I am about people identifying (accurately) capitalism as a common factor in a great deal of terrible poo poo that happens (even if those same people are a bit, um, optimistic about those bad things going away in the event that capitalism ever does).

Also the way that people talk about 'capital' as if it's a living and sentient creature with actual plans and goals is really stupid.

Also, don't call people 'workers'.

There. That's my Internet Communism grievances sorted. gently caress capitalism, tho.

My wife is a flight attendant and gets harassed on the reg. Her mom was a flight attendant in Aeroflot during the Soviet Union. Guess what happened to her mom?

Capitalism loving sucks, but my phuo is way too many clueless people complain about it like it's the cause of all problems. Similar phuo: any US american who dares to say "drat life in the USSR was so much better" deserves to be treated like someone who dreams of living in the Naruto universe.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm honestly disgusted by how the US treats people, but if people want to have an discussion about it's shortcomings, it should at least come from an honest place that doesn't ignore objective truths. Goons just love painting the US as a burning, post apocalyptic hellhole, when in reality it's more of a dystopian shithole.

saaaaame and I must once again point out: Kazakhstan with some totally-not-russian help absolutely not supported by known anti-nazi-hero Putin killed more protesters and arrested more protesters in two weeks than the US did in two years while being less than a tenth of the US' size.
Be a real leftist not a cartoon leftist.
Use real problems not idiot cartoon problems that very strongly suggest your worldview is "the two countries, America and Platonic Ideal of Northwest Europe."

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:02 on May 24, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like pretzel buns were a meme food that fell out of fashion quickly. Which is a shame, pretzel buns are really good.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Gripweed posted:

I feel like pretzel buns were a meme food that fell out of fashion quickly. Which is a shame, pretzel buns are really good.

Pretzel buns are good. Brioche buns are bad

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Gripweed posted:

Finally, we get a true and enjoyable statement statement after five pages of worthless verbal diarrhea about capitalism.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Those "options" (which aren't actually optional if you need them) are designed to be as lovely and inconvenient as possible. The hoops they make you jump through don't save money or improve anyone's circumstances, they just make life worse for the people who they're supposedly helping.

And it's odd that you'd bring up food banks, because those only exist because the official systems don't work. If people could survive on the assistance provided by the state then there wouldn't be any need for food banks. No one's exaggerating. A lot of people don't have options and a lot of people don't have access to basic necessities. People in America, the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. die because they literally can't get the things they need to live.

You're the one ignoring objective truths. The excuses made for why people have to suffer and die are lies. If those in power wanted to actually change things for the better, they could. They have the resources. The simple truth is that they don't want to.

Food banks in the UK happen because, e.g. one of my friends got underpaid by the DWP because they miscalculated his income, and because of that mistake he will never ever see that money and was 200£ short for rent. It's either a food bank or he starves.

Except here in the UK, a food bank will give you:

- 3 tins of food
- one medium sized carrot
- two slightly mouldy loaves of bread
- and so on

the overall state of it was that even after visiting a food bank, he still couldn't eat because trying to make a meal out of the things given (half of which required immediate freezing so they wouldn't deteriorate further) was very literally impossible.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

In the UK our welfare system, it is a LOT better than the one in America (In that, if you do manage to jump through all the hoops consistently, they will pay your housing costs and actually give you useful amounts of income, even if it's still below the breadline and barely enough to live on), however the hoops are still rotting piles of poo poo.

Until 2021 I was living in an abusive scenario where I was physically and mentally disabled to the point that any work would have caused me to just melt down. In November 2020 I applied for welfare via AKT and was guided through the process. I was told I would have a meeting to assess if I was disabled enough to qualify, and also put through for a disability specific welfare which had a separate meeting.

The normal wait time was 2 weeks for both, however in lieu of formal evidence, I had to provide sick notes from my doctor (I was extremely lucky to have a sympathetic GP) each week. I was told by literally everyone that it is entirely normal to get rejected by the disability assessment folks, and to get it overturned via a formal tribunal. In fact, that is the most common route because disabilty welfare is deny-by-default.

I started work in a disability friendly workplace with queer folks who are incredibly kind in November 2021, and two weeks after signing off disability welfare, I finally recieved letters telling me the meeting had been scheduled for a week after that date.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A pretzel bun with cheddar, blue cheese, kraut, mustard, and crispy onions is close to a perfect burger and if you disagree sorry you are so stupid

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not really a blue cheese guy but the rest sounds pretty good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you get ranch instead of Blue cheese with Wings then you need to show yourself the door

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Badactura posted:

Pretzel buns are good. Brioche buns are bad

Pretzel buns are only good if they have the pretzel salt on them, which no places ever do, so i'm always disappointed when they offer pretzel buns.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

If you get ranch instead of Blue cheese with Wings then you need to show yourself the door

Same if you let em scam you with "boneless wings"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I just feel bad for those chickens tbh

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Don’t. Chickens are heartless soulless creatures who thrive on enmity and decay. The sooner humanity eats them all the better.

Need to figure out a way to keep their eggs around though. The only snag.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well you either feel bad for them or you don't. Which opinion is the unpopular one?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Robobot posted:

Don’t. Chickens are heartless soulless creatures who thrive on enmity and decay. The sooner humanity eats them all the better.

Need to figure out a way to keep their eggs around though. The only snag.

Even chickens deserve bones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

They cut just before chicken 2 viciously claws that child to death.

Look at those scary loving dino feet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

Their proliferation following the Norse invasions of England is one of the most interesting and least studied areas of history, all we can say for certain is that when he saw a hen house old Ivar couldn't keep it in his pants.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Robobot posted:

How are we going to eat them all if we keep breeding more of them? Who's really eating whom in this situation, hmmm??

(humans are eating chickens, to be clear)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
We just have to eat them faster than they make more of them. We've done it with plenty of other birds. I have faith we can achieve this goal.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't care what the dictionary says, the past tense of plea is pled

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't care what the dictionary says, the past tense of plea is poopiedoopiedoodoowoowooshoopinanny

gently caress the dictionary

Caufman
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

There you go, though. Spelling werds the way the ol' dickbook wants you to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The past tense of pubes is pubed

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

credburn posted:

Buddy,

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

FishBulbia posted:

Boneless chicken is essentially just nuggets. You are robbed of the gristle; the picking of the bones with your teeth.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Personally Held Unpopular FACT: they are not. Boneless wings are breast meat butchered a certain way. Nuggies are processed slime that come frozen.

All choices are good :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I didn't care for Even Dwarfs Started Small. Turned it off halfway through.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really do not see why anyone would eat wings when one could eat any other part of the chicken. Boneless wings, being another part of the chicken, are fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

I really do not see why anyone would eat wings when one could eat any other part of the chicken. Boneless wings, being another part of the chicken, are fine.

I like to crunch the bones.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Chicken breast is fine, but it's also kind meh and without texture. I guess "boneless wings" are fine too in some contexts.

Not what I'm looking for with wings, that's like a whole another thing with getting you hands covered in grease and habanero sauce, and picking apart the bones, sucking the last bits of meat off, etc.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 05:11 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The best part of a chicken is the neck bones.