Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

Absolutely everything here is atrocious, but this bugs me the most. They're covering their rear end here because if they let the parents run in and the parents get shot they might be blamed is the only thought process I can come up with here. I suppose controlling the area if you want to be super nice but come on, no. Y'all weren't controlling poo poo other than a parking lot.

As if the children, who are busy being terrified, dying or being dead already, are not the problem.

Also, one of the parents managed to escape from the cops, get in, and rescue their child if I read a story right, so they didn't even secure a perimeter properly, just menaced freaked out people for a good hour for funsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Its was several parents that risked their lives

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status...ingawful.com%2F

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I really wish I had something more meaningful to contribute to the discussion, in part because my little cousin and a few of her friends survived Parkland, but nothing has changed since then and it just makes me angrier and angrier, so I'll keep saying "gently caress the police".

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jesus gently caress.

They literally did the Zapp Brannigan "killbots have a pre set kill limit" strategy but with first graders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've been curious if anyone has written up a comparison of the timeline of response between Parkland and Uvalde. Or effective response rather. Sounds like the cops showed up relatively early in both cases but, you know.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Guze posted:

Its was several parents that risked their lives

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status...ingawful.com%2F

If I was one of the parents that was restrained by the pigs, I can't imagine what hearing about this would do to me. Especially if I lost my child in the shooting.

Do we know if that happened to any of the parents that were restrained?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm kind of curious as to the border force that showed up to actually do something? Seems kinda weird - I mean in a sea of weird. Did they get called in or just hear through the grapevine and showed up to get what needed doing done?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Everything I've read makes it sound like the border patrol guys just heard about and went to help.

This is apparently the guy who took out the shooter.

https://twitter.com/redacted_LC/status/1529696720476639232?t=OKQ2ceiTd5J_fYMU9Z3NZQ&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's kind of impressive, but gently caress me - how long would it have gone on if some pipe hitter wasn't in the nieghbourhood jfc.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
There was another dude who who apparently ran in with some shotgun he got from a barber and got some people out.

It seems like Border Patrol seemed to be the only agency that was like trying to do anything

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Yeah they just went.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1530308841212190723?s=20&t=WcsypUfdw3LseDUzilleuQ

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A rare PR win for the Border Patrol

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Dude got his head grazed by a bullet too

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
So the uvalde pd did literally nothing useful lol great job guys

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Nothing would've been better, they were actively supporting a massacre

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Even this ghoul is tossing them under the bus

https://twitter.com/sewellchan/status/1530291957699837953?s=21&t=YqW-E2jR948hgunB1K2jaw

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol how loving pathetic do you have to be when the Border Patrol gets sick of your cowardice and actually helps.

Probably Magic posted:

Also, one of the parents managed to escape from the cops, get in, and rescue their child if I read a story right, so they didn't even secure a perimeter properly, just menaced freaked out people for a good hour for funsies.
And it wasn't like she employed some Jason Bourne tactics to do it, she just walked away from the crowd, jumped the fence, and went inside.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I can’t believe the border patrol were the heroes. Of all the agencies, I think only ICE would be more surprising.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
"Don't Mess With Texas" is actually a plea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/_FleerUltra/status/1529900954232901632?t=CyxDWqhLDzaWCBheyoAj9A&s=19

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So are the changes in headline from online articles that have the headline changed after publication? Or are these like, initial draft > final draft changes?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I scrolled past the initial coverage as I thought it would more of the same school shooting/gun control discourse that goes absolutely nowhere, so what's this about cops being cowards as that seems new and kinda important?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So are the changes in headline from online articles that have the headline changed after publication? Or are these like, initial draft > final draft changes?

From what I’ve gathered it’s some sort of A/B testing to see what garners more clicks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I scrolled past the initial coverage as I thought it would more of the same school shooting/gun control discourse that goes absolutely nowhere, so what's this about cops being cowards as that seems new and kinda important?

11:28 Shooter crashes his car in a ditch down the road from the school. Two men see him exit his car with guns and he shoots at them. They run away and they / a teacher at the school hearing that call 911.

11:31 Shooter is in the parking lot of school shooting at it, cop #1 reaches the funeral home. cop #2 goes into the parking lot and assaults a random teacher.

11:32 Shooter continues shooting at the school and enters the building and butchers two classrooms that are connected by a bathroom. Gets into the classroom by breaking the glass window in a door,

11:35 7 cops go into the building, hide in a hallway.

12:03 by now 19 cops are hiding in the hallway outside the classroom refusing to go in. Tons are outside as well arresting parents freaking out about them not doing anything.

12:15 border patrol shows up

12:19 The like 10th call from students in the classroom is made to 911, still nothing.

12:50 Cops harass a janitor until he finds the keys to the room, Border patrol breaches the classroom, kill gunman

So despite having a door with no window or literally any amount of force, it's a loving grade school door after all, and no way for the shooter to cover both rooms, as seen by the dozen 911 calls the kids inside made, the cops sat outside for 75 minutes doing jack poo poo.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Kalli posted:

11:28 Shooter crashes his car in a ditch down the road from the school. Two men see him exit his car with guns and he shoots at them. They run away and they / a teacher at the school hearing that call 911.

11:31 Shooter is in the parking lot of school shooting at it, cop #1 reaches the funeral home. cop #2 goes into the parking lot and assaults a random teacher.

11:32 Shooter continues shooting at the school and enters the building and butchers two classrooms that are connected by a bathroom. Gets into the classroom by breaking the glass window in a door,

11:35 7 cops go into the building, hide in a hallway.

12:03 by now 19 cops are hiding in the hallway outside the classroom refusing to go in. Tons are outside as well arresting parents freaking out about them not doing anything.

12:15 border patrol shows up

12:19 The like 10th call from students in the classroom is made to 911, still nothing.

12:50 Cops harass a janitor until he finds the keys to the room, Border patrol breaches the classroom, kill gunman

So despite having a door with no window or literally any amount of force, it's a loving grade school door after all, and no way for the shooter to cover both rooms, as seen by the dozen 911 calls the kids inside made, the cops sat outside for 75 minutes doing jack poo poo.

You forgot where the cop called into a room if anyone was in there, a kid replied, and the shooter shot them.

Had a chat with some colleagues who are hardcore conservative tonight and even they're pissed off about the police response and want heads. Maybe, just maybe there will be a little justice? (There won't be)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

You forgot where the cop called into a room if anyone was in there, a kid replied, and the shooter shot them.

Had a chat with some colleagues who are hardcore conservative tonight and even they're pissed off about the police response and want heads. Maybe, just maybe there will be a little justice? (There won't be)

Option B: Everyone Half of the officers involved get some kind of harsh punishment... and then we've "solved" the whole incompetent/cowardly cops problem and it never gets brought up ever again. No, hey why are you guys still bringing it up remember those guys got punished?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Quiet Feet posted:

Option B: Everyone Half of the officers involved get some kind of harsh punishment... and then we've "solved" the whole incompetent/cowardly cops problem and it never gets brought up ever again. No, hey why are you guys still bringing it up remember those guys got punished?

Tbh, I'd be surprised if even half of the officers involved were punished

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

What's wild is the dumbest poo poo heads on Twitter (Posobiec, Chaz Kirk, Shapiro, Cerno, etc) all seem to be furious about it. Probably because they had the lie of police as defenders shattered

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If only there were any signs

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/yubo-app-salvador-ramos-threats-invs/index.html

quote:

Salvador Ramos told girls he would rape them, showed off a rifle he bought, and threatened to shoot up schools in livestreams on the social media app Yubo, according to several users who witnessed the threats in recent weeks.

But those users -- all teens -- told CNN that they didn't take him seriously until they saw the news that Ramos had gunned down 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, this week.
Three users said they witnessed Ramos threaten to commit sexual violence or carry out school shootings on Yubo, an app that is used by tens of millions of young people around the world.

The users all said they reported Ramos' account to Yubo over the threats. But it appeared, they said, that Ramos was able to maintain a presence on the platform. CNN reviewed one Yubo direct message in which Ramos allegedly sent a user the $2,000 receipt for his online gun purchase from a Georgia-based firearm manufacturer.

Use of Yubo skyrocketed during the coronavirus pandemic, as teens trapped indoors turned to the app for a semblance of in-person interactions. The company says it has 60 million users around the world -- 99% of whom are 25 and younger -- and has trumpeted safety features including "second-by-second" monitoring of livestreams using artificial intelligence and human moderators.

Despite those safety features, the users who spoke to CNN said Ramos made personal and graphic threats. During one livestream, Amanda Robbins, 19, said Ramos verbally threatened to break down her door and rape and murder her after she rebuffed his sexual advances. She said she witnessed Ramos threaten other girls with similar "acts of sexual assault and violence."

Hannah, an 18-year-old Yubo user from Ontario, Canada, said she reported Ramos to Yubo in early April after he threatened to shoot up her school and rape and kill her and her mother during one livestream session. Hannah said Ramos was allowed back on the platform after a temporary ban.

Hannah, who requested CNN withhold her last name to protect her privacy, said Ramos' behavior turned increasingly brazen in the last week. In one livestream, she said, Ramos briefly turned his webcam to show a gun on his bed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Maybe, just maybe there will be a little justice? (There won't be)

:qq: B-b-b-but if we hold these officers to even the slightest account, no one will want to be a police officer anymore :qq:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

quote:

using artificial intelligence and human moderators

This doesn't surprise me. People will believe anything is possible if you tell them "AI" is doing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1530394590011740160?t=XgzwvOZAHF9Sx_sjJGF-LA&s=19

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The twelve minutes he spent spraying into the building before entering totally not the cops fault.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I love that their official timeline *starts* with a teacher propping a door open.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ah yes, my grey lady is now running all around the house and chasing her brother since she can't get those drat mice. It's annoying but also cute, so at least I've got that going for me today.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have thoughts on obi wan and I'm not loving pleased you Disney cunts gently caress sake.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Work gives $1500 to spend on exercise stuff and I don't have room for anything with any sort of footprint, thinking of just buying out the bowflex weight catalog and calling it good enough, unless there is something better?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Work gives $1500 to spend on exercise stuff and I don't have room for anything with any sort of footprint, thinking of just buying out the bowflex weight catalog and calling it good enough, unless there is something better?

For real 1500? I could gently caress you up with 50 bucks worth of stuff. Tell me what work outs you will do and I'll tell you what to buy?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1530377120576249857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

BlindSite posted:

For real 1500? I could gently caress you up with 50 bucks worth of stuff. Tell me what work outs you will do and I'll tell you what to buy?

But I don't want to spend $50, I want to spend $1500! I don't really have any specific workouts in mind and don't know anything about working out beyond playing sports or cardio, just figured I am nearing 180lbs and probably should be closer to 160, my slim fit shirts are not looking that flattering anymore. I don't have space for anything big like a peloton which is why I am leaning towards something more weighty.