Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

busalover posted:

So tomorrow is the last day, with the verdict... next week? Or also tomorrow?

Tomorrow morning is closing + jury instructions. So about 2pm at the latest the jury will start deliberating.

After that, it's anybody's guess how long they will take. They could take several days but they could also be done in 5 minutes.

Given that this has been a very long trial, and that, if they don't reach a verdict tomorrow, they would have to come back on Tuesday after Memorial Day, my money is on a very quick decision. In favour of Johnny Depp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

These remind me of those weird Simpsons mid-action cels :haw:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Take me in and dry the rain. My reign now.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Multiple Amber alerts going off in court in the middle of the closing arguments

:thunk:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

any bets on who is going to "win" this contest? for teh watercooler, ofc

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Granted, I haven't watched all of it but Amber's evidence seems to boil down to "trust me, bro."

Like, her poo poo does not add up at all to me and my intimate relationships with people with BPD is ringing very familiar.

They would either make poo poo up for attention or exaggerate things to such a degree that it was unbelievable. They could never handle criticism and would flip out any time there would be social friction against them.
Hell, they'd like about situations I witnessed and when confronted, couldn't even say, "Oh I must have misremembered", they would dig in, make things worse and/or lash out at me for being against them.

poo poo is wild and it makes people around them behave in a way they otherwise wouldn't. You want to help and be a supportive and loving but the sheer stress of it all is debilitating.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

amber doesn't come off well when she's being confronted with those barrages of texts to johnny after he would try to get space. "Please answer the phone. i'm dying!" And then has the gall to say that she was acting like that because she was concerned that he would start using. Yeeesh..

I've dealt with some real manipulative people who enter yr life like a hurricane and mess you up. But that display is on another level.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Obviously they are both irredeemable garbage persons in private, like all Hollywood celebrities.
I judge them both guilty as hell and award damages to the audience.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Have there been any character witnesses or whatever against Depp?

So far I've only heard people come out as neutral or supportive of him.

Amazing that Kate Moss' testimony was like 2 minutes and all she said was "It was raining, I slipped down the stairs, I was not pushed. He ran back, carried me to the room and got me medical attention."

UGH what a monster!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol Rottenborn took 1h10 of the 2h closing so now Elaine is flailing at 2x speed to get through the counterclaim

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Obviously they are both irredeemable garbage persons in private, like all Hollywood celebrities.
I judge them both guilty as hell and award damages to the audience.

the audience is garbage too

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Perfect Potato posted:

lol Rottenborn took 1h10 of the 2h closing so now Elaine is flailing at 2x speed to get through the counterclaim

Team JD has 39 minutes left for rebuttal, team AH has 6 minutes. SIX!!! All that time wasted on Elaine incoherently rambling like a 6-year old child.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
the guy from ed wood (but not the actual ed wood)?!?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

uXs posted:

Team JD has 39 minutes left for rebuttal, team AH has 6 minutes. SIX!!! All that time wasted on Elaine incoherently rambling like a 6-year old child.

Rottenborn's there on a deserted island trying to build a shelter out of half chewed matchsticks and Elaine comes in with a chainsaw and flamethrower for 44 minutes

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 27, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone watching this trial right now is wasting their time

wait for the movie, it will be much better

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Oh, you're as trashy as the rest of us, you don't have to pretend

My personal prediction is Depp wins the suit but not the $50 million, and Heard loses her countersuit

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When you think about it, if your name is Rottenborn, what else can you be but a lawyer?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The "imperfect victim" narrative is tedious because who is claiming they want a perfect victim? Also, Depp fits the imperfect victim narrative perfectly. There are two victims and two abusers here in this group of two people.

People are quick to forget how verbally, emotionally, and psychologically abusive Depp was. From those behaviors and Heard's first party accounts alone, people believed he beat the poo poo out of her for the better part of a decade. Myself included. I didn't suspect a single negative thing about Heard, even during the start when Depp was on the stand. It's only now that all of the evidence, first person testimonies, etc are out there that it's very clear Depp was falsely accused of horrific dv/sa acts he didn't commit.

And even now, I don't think anyone reasonable is 100% convinced he never grabbed her or slapped her. He was blacked out so frequently that even he may not know. He wasn't violent toward people while high/drunk in the past, but he also wasn't around people who would relentlessly antagonize him. He wasn't at such a low point in his life, either. I'd personally consider someone who smashes household objects in emotional fits easily capable of being violent toward people.

uXs posted:

Rottenborn & Elaine did a good job and if no one wins it's likely due to what they said today.

The reality is there are very specific parameters to what would cause a Depp win, and they were both good at pointing it out.

There were bad parts of their closing, notably they're throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping it sticks. Ideas they hadn't built up at all during the case that seem to go against the evidence and context they presented previously. Elaine seemed surprised and puzzled by some of what Rottenborn said that did not match the evidence, and then her own part in it didn't seem like it was for the victim of da/sv but instead to try to salvage what she could.

I'm not sure why people are quick to attack Heard's legal team. If I could afford them, I'd get them to represent me in a case similar to this. They're a very good team, but they are working with a difficult client who replaced her previous legal team because they were trying to win instead of doing what she wanted. They did have some real suspect expert witness testimony.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

The jury likely won't have either of them win. They jury could hang.

There's a chance Depp wins on Heard republishing the article on twitter. It's legally significant despite the brief, questionable framing of it by Heard's team in closing. She didn't just link it, she added significant additional commentary which does legally qualify. This is part of why Heard's team avoided this so much, they have pretty much nothing to refute it other than trying to claim "she could have put more abuse accusations in the tweet so clearly she didn't add to it significantly!" which is not at all what the standard is.

There's no chance Depp wins on the other claims. There's no chance Heard wins on any claims.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 27, 2022

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

the guy from ed wood (but not the actual ed wood)?!?

No, Willy Wonka

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Khorne posted:

Rottenborn & Elaine did a good job and if no one wins it's likely due to what they said today.

I agree and/or disagree with a bunch of things you said, but this sticks out. Rottenborn did as much as he could, that's true, but I can't believe you're serious about Elaine.

She rambled for about 45 minutes, sometimes straight up pulling facts out of her rear end. It was unprofessional and unethical. The only reason she wasn't blasted with more - sustained - objections from Chew was because it would look bad for the jury. She was horrible.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

lamb posted:

No, Willy Wonka

that’s not Willy Wonka; Gene Wilder’s been gone from us for several years now

I think this is about the famous pirate guy

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uXs posted:

I agree and/or disagree with a bunch of things you said, but this sticks out. Rottenborn did as much as he could, that's true, but I can't believe you're serious about Elaine.

She rambled for about 45 minutes, sometimes straight up pulling facts out of her rear end. It was unprofessional and unethical. The only reason she wasn't blasted with more - sustained - objections from Chew was because it would look bad for the jury. She was horrible.
I even agree on the objection part. They could have had a bunch of easy sustained objections, especially against Elaine, but they didn't. Elaine said what she needed to say in ~5 minutes of her 45 minutes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mooey Cow posted:

When you think about it, if your name is Rottenborn, what else can you be but a lawyer?

[Depp narrates as the jury marches toward the deliberation room through a battle-scarred courtroom, in high spirits, humming the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean in unison]

My thoughts drift back to mega-pint wet dreams about Benjamin Rottenborn and the Great Bed making GBS threads Fantasy. I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece. In short, I'm in a bed of poo poo, yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid of the verdict.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjvQ-kIJFJs

LOL

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Inzombiac posted:

Granted, I haven't watched all of it but Amber's evidence seems to boil down to "trust me, bro."

Like, her poo poo does not add up at all to me and my intimate relationships with people with BPD is ringing very familiar.

They would either make poo poo up for attention or exaggerate things to such a degree that it was unbelievable. They could never handle criticism and would flip out any time there would be social friction against them.
Hell, they'd like about situations I witnessed and when confronted, couldn't even say, "Oh I must have misremembered", they would dig in, make things worse and/or lash out at me for being against them.

poo poo is wild and it makes people around them behave in a way they otherwise wouldn't. You want to help and be a supportive and loving but the sheer stress of it all is debilitating.

Lol I know this exact person :stonk:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Grade A sound effects

I’m Johnnys Nokia 3390

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

I dunno how you can make a movie better than the real life courtroom drama involving two movie stars.

It's like when they tried to make a show out of the Tiger King.

Who the gently caress would watch a show when you can see the real deal.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Oh, you're as trashy as the rest of us, you don't have to pretend

My personal prediction is Depp wins the suit but not the $50 million, and Heard loses her countersuit

i didnt even know who amber heard was until my coworkers started asking me if i'm "watching the case" like it's a tv show or something lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thanks for the summary though to the other guy who wrote a lot of words

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bad Purchase posted:

AndyElusive posted:

I dunno how you can make a movie better than the real life courtroom drama involving two movie stars.

It's like when they tried to make a show out of the Tiger King.

Who the gently caress would watch a show when you can see the real deal.

A movie starring Johnny Depp as: Johnny Depp and Jake Busey as: Amber Heard.

EDIT: I guess Gary Busey's not dead, so maybe Gary Busey instead

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A movie starring Johnny Depp as: Johnny Depp and Jake Busey as: Amber Heard.

EDIT: I guess Gary Busey's not dead, so maybe Gary Busey instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ1UWwE01VE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Umm define “dead.”

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Umm define “dead.”

A state of soul death that allows him to perform a convincing imitation of Amber Heard, as opposed to a physical death that would make it nominally harder for him.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I asked my husband if he knew about this and he thought Depp was divorcing Helena Boham-Carter lmao

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I might have already made that statement in this very thread but its still funny

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Treecko posted:

I might have already made that statement in this very thread but its still funny

lol yup. high fives to the husband

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just a heads up. I don't know anything about this trial besides the bed making GBS threads but I've seen BPD come up. Not sure what the intention of that abbreviation is for but it isn't bipolar disorder which is what I see most people use it for. It's Borderline Personality Disorder. Which, coincidentally, my doctor just yesterday said I may have instead of bipolar! Wonderful!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just a heads up. I don't know anything about this trial besides the bed making GBS threads but I've seen BPD come up. Not sure what the intention of that abbreviation is for but it isn't bipolar disorder which is what I see most people use it for. It's Borderline Personality Disorder. Which, coincidentally, my doctor just yesterday said I may have instead of bipolar! Wonderful!

so you're saying that you're the one who poo poo the bed???

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Perfect Potato posted:

Gist of the past 2-3 days of trial

- lady cop from 09/whenever testified that Turd was slapping around and throttling her female companion at some airport or whatever
-trailer palace manager said he didn't see Depp do anything, thought Amber was the belligerent one, and the total damages to the trailer amounted to 62$ for a light sconce
-tmz guy said they knew to film her bruise and they got the copyright 15 minutes after receiving that edited video of Depp
-Kate Moss testified that the stair story was bullshit
-children's hospital or whatever charity said they only got the initial 250000$ donation and nothing else
-dealmaker guy basically systematically tore apart the expert witness for the defense's counterclaim damages
-most distinguished and tenured photoshop guy in the world said that all the defense's photos passed through an editor and were obviously altered
-Depp phoned or texted or emailed someone about Elon Musk's noodle dick and about wanting to chop it off
-Amber called everyone else liars, admitted the same photo for different incidents, and low key admitted to writing the op-ed about Depp

Can’t believe I’ve wasted my time watching this trial but this seems like a fair summary. I went into this firmly convinced Depp was terrible and the sole abuser and Team Amber but gently caress… nobody comes out clean in this. Still see a lot of people totally rallying around Amber and I wonder if they’ve seen the same footage I have.

Astrochicken posted:

amber doesn't come off well when she's being confronted with those barrages of texts to johnny after he would try to get space. "Please answer the phone. i'm dying!" And then has the gall to say that she was acting like that because she was concerned that he would start using. Yeeesh..

I've dealt with some real manipulative people who enter yr life like a hurricane and mess you up. But that display is on another level.
Even my “mom” that roped me into this agrees. Heard comes across as unbalanced, manipulative and aggressively and violently confrontational. Been around a few people like that and my only advice is to run away as soon as you can and be willing to leave everything behind. Argue or fight back and you only feed them. Only thing they hate is being ignored. They will trash you to everyone but it’s just the price of doing business. Run away and hope they aren’t rich enough to destroy you/ find another victim. 100% believe victims but also know that shitbag abusers can and will lie and try to gaslight and play the victim too. Any gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality or identity can be terrible. Just look for warning signs and, if you see them, don’t try and fix or save anything. Just walk away.

Sorry my last ex and birth mom might have messed me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

DogsInSpace! posted:

Can’t believe I’ve wasted my time watching this trial but this seems like a fair summary. I went into this firmly convinced Depp was terrible and the sole abuser and Team Amber but gently caress… nobody comes out clean in this. Still see a lot of people totally rallying around Amber and I wonder if they’ve seen the same footage I have.

Even my “mom” that roped me into this agrees. Heard comes across as unbalanced, manipulative and aggressively and violently confrontational. Been around a few people like that and my only advice is to run away as soon as you can and be willing to leave everything behind. Argue or fight back and you only feed them. Only thing they hate is being ignored. They will trash you to everyone but it’s just the price of doing business. Run away and hope they aren’t rich enough to destroy you/ find another victim. 100% believe victims but also know that shitbag abusers can and will lie and try to gaslight and play the victim too. Any gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality or identity can be terrible. Just look for warning signs and, if you see them, don’t try and fix or save anything. Just walk away.

Sorry my last ex and birth mom might have messed me up.

Your last ex was your birth mom?