Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Quoting for the snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

Quoting for the snipe

Idk looks like he's firing kinda wildly

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

bike tory posted:

Fool that you are, you forget that the search for authenticity is already subordinate to ideology. Without ideology we have no way to understand what is authentic; these so called "natural" impulses, our very desires and drives themselves, have their roots not only in our biology but also our ideology.

Why else is my body's desire for sustenance, surely one of the most base, life-sustaining drives, sated by this Monster Energy Ultra Paradise™? Intellectually I know that the Zero Sugar formulation of this smooth fruity kick contains none of the nutrients, minerals or calories that my body needs. It is because I have already been taught to desire it.

In the same way, Morbius initially fears morbin' time. He rejects his abilities, refusing to morb on those guys because he naively rejects the monster he sees himself becoming in pursuit of what he believes to be more "authentic" humanity.

I know critics have reacted negatively to the cameo of Slovenian communist and pop philosopher Slavoj Zizek, but I actually think his intervention in the film is brilliantly placed. His training montage with Morbius sets Morbius on the critical path that leads him to stop questioning how he knows it's morbin' time, and to simply understand when it's morbin' time.

This is what gives so much weight to that scene when he finally says the line and morbs on those guys. He has accepted himself for an authentic ideological being. He can strive to shape and control his ideology, and thereby he can shape and control the morb within. I find this really inspiring, and I think this conception of ideological authenticity is something we could all benefit from, at the end of the day.
*touches nose, sniffs*

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
Foreverially morbitized and loving it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Can anyone else, like, feel the cold disapproving gaze of their distant ancestors upon this thread?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Can anyone else, like, feel the cold disapproving gaze of their distant ancestors upon this thread?

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial. Can you say the same?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial. Can you say the same?

:(

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I feel like these three posts in a row sum up the thread in a way nothing else never could

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tree Bucket posted:

I figure I'm already the biggest disappointment of my bloodline anyway, so what's a few more shitposts?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Morbed up from the feet up

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I do think the Morbius film went too far in the end credits scene when Ashton Kucher pops up to inform the audience "You Just Got Morb'd", not just because the reference is dated, but also because the (always packed) audience is fully aware they've been Morb'd by that point. The audience is covered in Morb. It infuses their essence. I myself Morb several times during each of my regular weekday viewings.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Morb? Morb like Lessb

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I must not morb, morb is the mind killer, morb is the little death that brings morb oblivion.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

"I don't know why everyone is talking about Morb

And at this point I'm too afraid to ask"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Crazy to think there was a time I wasn't morbin'

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

It is well that you should fear the Morb

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
I feel like one of the factors people aren't remembering is that Morbius came out on April Fool's Day. People were joking about how the movie itself was an April Fool's joke even before it was released, and on its release day there was a tweet (not sure if it was real or not) going around from... Martin Scorsese, I think? Saying that Morbius was peak cinema. Because it was April 1st.

Also lots of movie review channels on YouTube put out short same-day reviews calling it the greatest movie ever made, and if you watched them they were obviously making fun of the movie and saying it was absolutely awful and you shouldn't watch it. Doesn't feel like that's what Sony would want to happen, tbh.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You: sitting in the corner eating paste and talking about astroturfing because you heard that word once and now you want to sound like a smart boy

Me: just morbin' it up like dr. michael morbius

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thjerk?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Anime Liker posted:

You: sitting in the corner eating paste and talking about astroturfing because you heard that word once and now you want to sound like a smart boy

Me: just morbin' it up like dr. michael morbius

ASTROTURFING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That'd be Steve Martin

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tree Bucket posted:

Which ones? The drunks or the religious fanatics?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which ones? The drunks or the religious fanatics?

Are they not one in the same?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

More like Þjörk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The morb orb should be blood red.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Y'all want to come over later and help me charge my JO Morb? I got tons of imitation blood as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If Morbius memes were developed by a marketing team (they weren’t) then that team are excellent memers. Hats off to them

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

ASTROTURFING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Why does he not simply eat the inferior Morb?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Why does he not simply eat the inferior Morb?

There is no such thing as an inferior Morb

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My bones are so brittle... But I always drink plenty of ... Morb??

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Anime Liker posted:

Crazy to think there was a time I wasn't morbin'

"He morbed all over 'em, Jerry! I saw it with my own eyes."

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This is the worst meme since loss

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tree Bucket posted:

It is well that you should fear the Morb

Do not fear the Morb, the Morb is us, we were created from Morb and to Morb we shall return.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Sorry it's not about Morbius. I may do better another time.