Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

My Anova circulator impeller motor burned out. It’s my second one, first was replaced under warranty but still I’m unimpressed with their quality. I’m looking at the polyscience on that’s less than $50 more than the Anova. Any recommendations?

If you are okay with having to use a smartphone to control things, the Joule is nice. I’ve had no complaints with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’ve had my joule since shortly after it launched, and it is ALMOST perfect. It’s powerful, quiet, the app is great, with little HD gifs of exactly what each temp looks like. It’s great and I would get it again over anything else on the market.

The only complaint I have is that 80f is the min temp. I would love to be able to just set it to circulate with no heating element.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Captainsalami posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a deli slicer for home for slicing my own salami and ham nice and thin? I had a cheaper one and where you hold the meat was plastic so it moved too much to get good cuts.

First of all you should be ashamed of yourself for not already having a slicer with a username like that.

All f the home slicers are garbage.

Get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950803550...emis&media=COPY

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I have lots of experience with robot coupe immersion blenders. If you don't have someone with very good forearms, forget it. The good ones are around 20 lbs, and require lots of manual manipulation, and though you can set them down while in operation it won't do the whole job that way. Your idea is very good, and I hope you can execute on it! One final thought: an immersion blender is a little tough but not impossible to use in a squared off 22qt cambro, so just use the round ones. They're superior in every way.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bagheera posted:

Commercial Immersion Blender? Preferably from Webstaurant, this site here

I don't mean home immersion blenders for pureeing a soup for 4. I mean bigass commercial for turning 60 pounds of chile peppers into 10 gallons of homogenous paste.

I started a business making fermented hot sauce. We use Vitamix blenders to puree chiles, garlic, onions, etc. into a mash, which we ferment in large plastic containers for 30 days. Vitamix blenders do an outstanding job of blending veggies. We put in whole bulbs (not cloves, entire bulbs), chiles with the stems on, etc., and turns the whole mix into a big green or red smoothie. The solid bits get filtrered out after fermentation. This saves us from spending hours of time peeling, destemming, or otherwise processing ingredients.

Now we want to get even more efficient, and that means getting an immersion blender. It's like one of those "galaxy brain memes":
Normal Brain: Get a chef's knife. Chop 60 pounds of chile peppers, 15 pounds of garlic cloves, and 10 pounds of onions by hand. Takes 4 hours.
Expanding Brain: Use a Vitamix blender. Blend the ingredients in 1/2 gallon batches, 30 seconds at a time. Takes 2 hours.
Galaxy Brain: Get a commercial immersion blender. Dump everything in a 5 gallon Cambro bucket and grind it all together at once. Takes 30 minutes.

These immersion blenders range in price from $500 to over $2,000. Can you recommend one that can meet these requirements:
1) Blend tough vegetables parts, like chile stems and raw carrots, to a smooth pulp.
2) Tolerate up to 2 hours of use each day, without burning out the motor or fatiguing my employees.
3) Preferably come in under $1,000.

aren't you going to be macing yourself with flying jolokia dust if you do this in something without a lid?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

aren't you going to be macing yourself with flying jolokia dust if you do this in something without a lid?
That's why you need PPE (pepper protective equipment)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If your current standard is a vitamix, aren't you gonna have trouble achieving the same texture / breakdown using an immersion blender at that scale? I work with those big guys a ton and would imagine one of those 1-1.5 gallon waring blenders would be more what you were looking for if you were just trying to scale your process up

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Are hydroponic garden setups still a thing that people do, and if so does anyone have some recs?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TCC probably has a guide :420:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Question I'm not sure where else to ask: my baking sheets warp even at 350. A few minutes in they'll "pop" (loudly) into this warped form and a bit after I take them out they pop back. Should I just get different cheap-rear end ones and hope they don't do this? Are mine just kinda worn out?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Question I'm not sure where else to ask: my baking sheets warp even at 350. A few minutes in they'll "pop" (loudly) into this warped form and a bit after I take them out they pop back. Should I just get different cheap-rear end ones and hope they don't do this? Are mine just kinda worn out?
Could be old, but more likely they just got heated or cooled too fast at some point (setting a pan down on a tile/stone countertop, running cold water over it when it's still warm, whatever).

If it was me I'd just go to a restaurant supply place and get whatever they have. I don't know how that compares pricewise to whatever the cheapest ones you can get from Amazon/Target/Wal Mart/wherever, but generic commercial kitchen sheet pans tend to be beasts compared to the department store stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Among generic commercial aluminum cookie sheets, most will have a steel bar in the rim that reinforces them, but some will not have that bar and be lighter and cost like a dollar less. Make sure it’s reinforced.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

any baking pan from any supplier should work, it isn't a cursed oven

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
NordicWare are the only ones I have that reliably don't pop

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

parthenocarpy posted:

any baking pan from any supplier should work, it isn't a cursed oven

I didn't think the oven was cursed I thought the sheets were busted

Oven's been doin what I want it to

SubG posted:

Could be old, but more likely they just got heated or cooled too fast at some point (setting a pan down on a tile/stone countertop, running cold water over it when it's still warm, whatever).

If it was me I'd just go to a restaurant supply place and get whatever they have. I don't know how that compares pricewise to whatever the cheapest ones you can get from Amazon/Target/Wal Mart/wherever, but generic commercial kitchen sheet pans tend to be beasts compared to the department store stuff.

I'll check that out, thanks. And thanks everyone else for the advice!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've fallen in love with the McMuffin again and I'm searching for an egg ring.

I've never cooked anything with silicone directly on a frying pan, but I assume most silicone is food safe? I'm also worried about scratching my non-stick pan, which is why I'm trying to stay away from metal in it.

Also I saw a 3" Lodge cast iron skillet... What is that for?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I've never cooked anything with silicone directly on a frying pan, but I assume most silicone is food safe? I'm also worried about scratching my non-stick pan, which is why I'm trying to stay away from metal in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Palksky-6-Ca...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

spray canola and toss your eggs in, break the yolk a bit, bake at 420 for ten minutes, flip and bake like four more minutes if you want the yolks completely solid. Three inches is what you want for most english muffin brands

I bake my ham alongside the eggs, toast the muffins, layer cheese, then take everything out of the oven and assemble then wrap in foil and bake again for seven more minutes so the cheese melts.

If you are dead set on a ring, just use a wide mouth mason jar lid

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have silicone rings and they work fine. Once the very bottom of the egg sets I toss a little water in the pan outside the ring and cover it and let it steam from the top while the bottom cooks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

obi_ant posted:

You could do an egg in it if you want.

What I do is, have you ever been to the kind of chain restaurant where they bake a cookie or brownie in the pan and then serve it to you hot with a scoop of ice cream on top? That. I have 4-5 tiny skillets now (they come in cheap little packs around the holidays) and it's a hit when friends come over

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Do you have an air fryer? I preheat a ramakin for 5 min, butter it, throw an egg in, cook at 350 for ~6-8 min and it's perfectly cooked and the perfect circle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t think you’d get the contact that you really need for good induction use unless you got one of those that are made for woks.

I use a Big Kahuna propane burner outside and it makes a world of difference. I think it’s like 80,000 btus which still isn’t a ton but is way more than the power burner on my range. The other benefit is it keeps the smoke and oil outside. I wouldn’t want to cook at this heat in my kitchen.

:respek:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been having a lot of fun on mine (I got the outdoorstirfry.com one), I would recommend one to anyone that has the space/inclination.

TBH I don't think I use mine at full power so I don't know how much a difference the extra power is over the kahuna one.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the tossing to work well. You're supposed to toss the stuff through the flames but tossing in a wok is easily three times as hard as any skillet I've ever used. I just lose a lot of the ingredients and they don't really get tossed very well anyway. In my all clad skilled I can toss a full pan all day long without issue but the wok geometry just makes it impossible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What lubricant goo do I get for my kitchenaid? First time using it in a few months and it's squeaking something fierce. Usually I can just crank it to 10 for a few seconds and it sorts itself but not this time.

Amazon has plenty of genetic ones for $10, is that okay?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

What lubricant goo do I get for my kitchenaid? First time using it in a few months and it's squeaking something fierce. Usually I can just crank it to 10 for a few seconds and it sorts itself but not this time.

Amazon has plenty of genetic ones for $10, is that okay?

I would go for a generic one not one that has DNA but yeah any generic "bearing grease" or "heavy duty grease" would be fine. Lots of great videos online on how to tear them down - it's really easy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iirc if you look to buy a new gear assembly it comes with a grease. I think it's supposed be non toxic

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is food grade grease you could use for the transmission of a KitchenAid.

Impresa Products 4 Oz Food Grade Grease for Stand Mixer Universally Compatible- MADE IN THE USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722VGTHJ/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! Carbo steel is so pretty when you heat season it like that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks all!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Iirc if you look to buy a new gear assembly it comes with a grease. I think it's supposed be non toxic

Yeah I'll check first how the gear teeth look and go from there

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ope

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t you glad that’s not in your kitchen or garage

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is that your view from your patio? Oh my god why do I live in Vancouver...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What’s going on there, is that the oil in your wok igniting?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Art

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Aren’t you glad that’s not in your kitchen or garage

:hfive:

VelociBacon posted:

Is that your view from your patio? Oh my god why do I live in Vancouver...

Yeah but tbf it's an exceptionally pretty day and I have a pretty good view, relatively.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What’s going on there, is that the oil in your wok igniting?

So I was using barbecue tongs and paper towels and seasoning wax and I was on my third coat and the paper towel started to catch fire and I could have just held it up in the air and it probably would have gone out but I was done seasoning so I said gently caress it and dropped the slightly flamey paper towel into the wok where it hit the extremely hot oil and flamed up real nice. There was never any real fire danger or anything but it looked pretty cool which is why i grabbed the phone.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a kitchenaid 600 pro mixer. I was having a hell of a time yesterday getting the speed higher than 2 or 3. I realise it has a timer where it doesn't change speed immediately, and you have to gradually ramp up the speeds instead of just going straight to 10. But I could get it going on speed 1, then increasing to speed 2 or 3 was 50/50 whether it would ramp up, then after that changing it to speed 10, I didn't manage to make it happen. Tried speed 5 for instance too and I don't think it ever got there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

redreader posted:

I've got a kitchenaid 600 pro mixer. I was having a hell of a time yesterday getting the speed higher than 2 or 3. I realise it has a timer where it doesn't change speed immediately, and you have to gradually ramp up the speeds instead of just going straight to 10. But I could get it going on speed 1, then increasing to speed 2 or 3 was 50/50 whether it would ramp up, then after that changing it to speed 10, I didn't manage to make it happen. Tried speed 5 for instance too and I don't think it ever got there.
Is it like the motor is running but the paddle or beater attachment just isn't spinning/is getting stuck in whatever you're mixing? Or is the motor bogging down/whining/smoking/whatever?

Because if it's the latter that sounds like a brush/coil/the motor burning out and needing replacing, and if it's the former that the most likely cause is the gear on the shaft that mates with the worm gear.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SubG posted:

Is it like the motor is running but the paddle or beater attachment just isn't spinning/is getting stuck in whatever you're mixing? Or is the motor bogging down/whining/smoking/whatever?

Because if it's the latter that sounds like a brush/coil/the motor burning out and needing replacing, and if it's the former that the most likely cause is the gear on the shaft that mates with the worm gear.

So when you change speeds, it doesn't ever take effect immediately, by design. It also only allows small steps in speed or something. When I changed speeds, the motor definitely wasn't going faster above 4/10 or so, and I couldn't reliably get it to increase at all past 3/10. It never stops or seems to strain at all, it just doesn't crank up to the higher speeds.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

redreader posted:

So when you change speeds, it doesn't ever take effect immediately, by design. It also only allows small steps in speed or something. When I changed speeds, the motor definitely wasn't going faster above 4/10 or so, and I couldn't reliably get it to increase at all past 3/10. It never stops or seems to strain at all, it just doesn't crank up to the higher speeds.
Weird. There are adjustments you can make for the speed: there's a plate with a couple adjustment screws, and under it a spring-loaded thing called the governor. On a KA 600 they're at the very rear of the mixer under the cowling.

I don't know exactly what to suggest as an adjustment/repair because I've never run into the exact behaviour you're describing. But those are the bits that you'd be fiddling with if, for example, the mixer was always going too fast, too slow, or was just spinning erratically (that is, it apparently had no speed control at all).

Probably not much help but throwing it out there to provide some possibly helpful search terms as a place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat