Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I dunno why people keep saying this to others who aren't buying into Depp being an innocent party lol but I guess if the other side is saying there's some sort of shady disinfo campaign going on, you gotta insist it's them who haven't watched the trial.

Well, have you watched the trial? The only thing you referenced in that post was online disinfo campaigns and youtube channels, and some hashtag which is a Twitter thing I guess? I don't really use Twitter.

I dunno about Depp "being an innocent party", but the testimony and evidence from this trial has pretty much cemented that Heard ISN'T an innocent party. To what extent widely varies amongst dissenting opinions, but it's rather wild that anyone who has objectively kept up with the ACTUAL trial could vehemently brigade for one side or another when there is damning evidence against both. The story has largely changed from 'Heard is a victim of domestic abuse from Depp' to 'Depp and Heard had a problematic relationship that caused them both to act lovely to each other on a number of different occasions'.

It feels like there is momentum on the Depp side due to a couple of factors. When stories like this break out, the general flow is overwhelmingly in support of the victims. Sure, there is always some group of idiot incels, or men's rights activists, or simple trolls, or whatever that push back almost every time regardless of any established facts, but evidence and testimony speaks volumes. When it comes out that something like this isn't exactly as cut-and-dry or one-sided as it appears to be, people tend to get skeptical really quickly. Why exaggerate, lie, about or fabricate anything if you can simply present less evidence or testimony but have 100% of it be true, and just as damning? Any momentum in the other direction is going to feel overwhelmingly against the original alleged victim when you've gone from 'X is 100% a victim' to 'X and Y are both 50% victims', or 70/30. 40/60, however you want to frame it.

If you consider the damage to each person's credibility and character as a result of testimony, there isn't really a place for Depp to go other than up during these proceedings as he tries to save some face, and demonstrate that the relationship was toxic on both sides. Heard on the other hand has no place to go but down; she was at one point a completely innocent victim, now less so.

Also, just as there was evidence presented in the trial regarding damages that addressed popularity comparative to other actors and actresses, Depp is indeed is way more popular than Heard, someone who many people (including myself) had not even heard (lol) of before this whole fiasco, which does guarantee some negative attention and brigading, but is just a straight-forward fact of the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

If you're not going to do the minimum amount of work to form an educated opinion about any of this bullshit, then please shut up.

you may be in the wrong fora

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Perfect Potato posted:

Oh and the Elaine lawyer apparently ran to the bathroom sobbing after the trial today. Don't know if it was because of her performance in closing, what Amber's going to do to her later, or in the spirit of the thread maybe nature was violently calling

A poo in the bed is worth two in the loo

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

AndyElusive posted:

If you're not going to do the minimum amount of work to form an educated opinion about any of this bullshit, then please shut up.

This kind of post is hilarious when it gets applied to left-wing politics ('it's not my job to educate you!') but it is totally insane and stupid to apply it to celebrity gossip news.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah when celebrities are involved you can and should just spray your ignorant hot takes like a fountain of diarrhea. Just strip down, kneel on an office chair, have a friend give you a spin and let it all fly. Your opinions must be heard! Who cares how dumb they are?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
As a Russian maga troll incel bot chud boomer mra pua wasp captain of industry, I say: let he who is without fart poo poo the first bed

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

silence_kit posted:

celebrity gossip news.
Heard was recorded going on a rant verbally mocking Depp and making fun of him for being a male victim of domestic abuse.

Lol gossip

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Imagine feeling the need to come white knight for Amber Heard in a thread where the prevailing opinion is “They both suck rear end, and we also suck for being interested.”

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
idk I think heard comes off looking much worse. a lot of stuff she’s claimed is an outright lie and is probably an abuser whereas everyone knew beforehand that depp was a substance abuser but does not appear to be a domestic abuser

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I prefer to lurk and not engage with the rest of SA

Sounds like a solid plan.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

BigSexy posted:

idk I think heard comes off looking much worse. a lot of stuff she’s claimed is an outright lie and is probably an abuser whereas everyone knew beforehand that depp was a substance abuser but does not appear to be a domestic abuser

I've seen articles about this claiming that substance abuse is a form of abuse to those close to you. I don't really disagree, I've got an alcoholic brother and we are all at our wits end trying to keep him safe while he has no desire to stop drinking. I don't know how deep Depp was into his addiction but he doesn't seem nearly as bad as my brother - I mean like he doesn't take seizures and hasn't spent months in a coma.

That being said - it would be a considerable understatement to say Amber didn't help matters.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Valko posted:

I worked for a mental health charity in the late 2000's. We had a workshop were we took in second hand goods and furniture and then fixed them up and sold them off. I have met many, many people with mental health problems in my life. I've met all sorts, schizophrenics, depressives, bipolars and BPD, some people with aquired brain injury. These illnesses affect everyone different but I know one thing for a fact; mental health problems don't cause you to be a bad person but bad people can suffer from mental health problems.

There was one guy I really didn't like. He went by 'Patch'. I remember talking to him about president Obama. He said Obama should be taken out back and shot. I asked him why and the reason being he was black. There are many more stories I could tell about Patch. I tried to tell everyone else there that Patch was a bastard but I was constantly met with 'Nah... that's his schizophrenia talking'. gently caress it was not! I think Patch knew he could use his schizophrenia as an excuse, given some of the other things he did.

The point I'm trying to make is that mental health problems can make you do some crazy poo poo but a lot of time bad people use it as a smokescreen. And people regularly fall for it.

No they don’t you loving rear end in a top hat. “I knew a guy and baked some misinterpretations because I’m stupid.”

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Valko posted:

I've seen articles about this claiming that substance abuse is a form of abuse to those close to you. I don't really disagree, I've got an alcoholic brother and we are all at our wits end trying to keep him safe while he has no desire to stop drinking. I don't know how deep Depp was into his addiction but he doesn't seem nearly as bad as my brother - I mean like he doesn't take seizures and hasn't spent months in a coma.

That being said - it would be a considerable understatement to say Amber didn't help matters.

No, Heard definitely did not help. For all her claims on the stand that she was so concerned about his sobriety, she did nothing to curb her own drug and alcohol use. Almost everyone she brought to deposition on her behalf stated that they were doing drugs and drinking on the regular.

Depp has owned up to his poo poo, but she continues to downplay her role, and her evidence does not align with her testimony. The fact that she has zero medical record of any of this abuse (which according to her testimony was severe) just beggars belief.

I went into this trial fully ready to be on Heard's side because I remember some of the bad boy poo poo Depp did in the 90s, so it didn't seem outside the realm of possibility that he would be complete poo poo head. However, after watching the trial, I am firmly in Depp's corner. They're both lovely, but she is so much worse.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Did you guys watch the clip where it looks like she does a bump of coke

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

The snorting coke theory is really dumb because it would be so much easier to just put it in your drink like Jimmy Ray Vaughan style, and there's no real reason to take a giant risk like that on the stand in a courtroom. Like she would have to be insane?

Which is probably what those people want to believe.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Captain Jack sparrow OWNS shameful lawyer with CLAPBACK LOGIC

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

“Face is numb, can’t look dumb.” -coke facts

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No they don’t you loving rear end in a top hat. “I knew a guy and baked some misinterpretations because I’m stupid.”

You didn't know Patch, I knew him for three years. I could tell a lot of stories about him but I don't care to bring up those memories. Let me give you a better example - do you think Lowtax or Donald Trumps' obvious mental health problems are any excuse for their behaviour?

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Heard was recorded going on a rant verbally mocking Depp and making fun of him for being a male victim of domestic abuse.

Lol gossip

Except...she didn't. Like, sure, it sounds terrible when you take the out-of-context edited clip that Depp's Putin-loving ex-lawyer spread around. The lawyer only put out this part:

Amber: You can please tell people that it was a fair fight, and see what the jury and the judge thinks. Tell the world, Johnny, tell them, Johnny Depp, "I, Johnny Depp...Man, (yes, she says 'man', not 'a man' - super apparent when you actually listen to the audio) I'm a victim too of domestic violence. And I, you know, it's a fair fight." And see how many people believe you and side with you.

In the edited clip, that's where it ends, so you don't get to hear the part immediately following it:

Amber: Because you're big, you're bigger and you're stronger. And so, when I say I thought that you could kill me, that doesn't mean you counter with you also lost your own finger. I'm not trying to attack you, here, I'm just trying to point out the fact of why I said call 911. Because you had your hands on me after you threw a phone at my face. And it's got crazy in the past, and I truly thought I need to stop this madness before I get hurt.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the overwhelming medical consensus on mental illness v. one patchy boi

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

fist fighting a hobo named patches

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
An inside source told me that should Heard be found guilty, they'll be seeking the death penalty. An unprecedented turn, yet also... completely reasonable?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Valko posted:

Loving a substance abuser is awful and turns you into a controlling rear end in a top hat. But for someone with BPD when confronted with narcissistic self serving contradictory behavior it would be the absolute worst possible thing. What a hell marriage.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

I've seen articles about this claiming that substance abuse is a form of abuse to those close to you.

you could say the same about any mental illness then

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tenkaris posted:

The snorting coke theory is really dumb because it would be so much easier to just put it in your drink like Jimmy Ray Vaughan style, and there's no real reason to take a giant risk like that on the stand in a courtroom. Like she would have to be insane?

Which is probably what those people want to believe.

sure there is, she's a drug addict who thought she could make it through testimony without needing a bump

the whole thing with drug addiction is you take stupid risks like that

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

sure there is, she's a drug addict who thought she could make it through testimony without needing a bump

the whole thing with drug addiction is you take stupid risks like that

Getting caught is a good way to lose your ability to get high so like I said, a safer alternative way of taking the drug would just be the way to go.

It's not very cool to speak for all addicts like that, either. honestly, addiction has a ton of different forms and not every addiction has the kind of withdrawal that makes you completely disregard everything to the point you snort cocaine on the stand like an absolute moron.

But believe what you want, I guess.

If she snorted coke she should be sniffling and dealing with nasal drip for a while. Meanwhile she could have just rubbed it on her gums, swallowed it, or shoved it up her rear end in a top hat instead for the same high. Literally everything else makes more sense than snorting it on the stand.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 28, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Valko posted:

You didn't know Patch, I knew him for three years. I could tell a lot of stories about him but I don't care to bring up those memories. Let me give you a better example - do you think Lowtax or Donald Trumps' obvious mental health problems are any excuse for their behaviour?

Nobody said they were nor did they use it as an excuse for any behavior which was your original premise. what the gently caress is your problem? :psyduck:

I’m gonna guess you didn’t actually know patch either loving weirdo.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
i loving hate that my google news feed thinks that I give a poo poo about this trial

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I haven't read the entire thread yet, only the last couple pages, but I'm kinda surprised by the amount of people who either believe Depp or think both were abusive? Wasn't it already proven that the whole #IStandWithDepp thing was a disinfo campaign against Amber Heard? The sort of YouTube channels and terminally online people pushing that narrative should be telling enough.

Heard's PR team is pumping out dozens of editorials and running its own misinformation campaign, so the same can be said of you. You haven't watched the trial, so your opinion seems to be formed by the same kind of propaganda

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

AndyElusive posted:

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Heard's PR team is pumping out dozens of editorials and running its own misinformation campaign, so the same can be said of you. You haven't watched the trial, so your opinion seems to be formed by the same kind of propaganda

Everyone here weirdly just assumed if you're not pro-Depp, you never watched the trial. Also, look at all the replies since then; one referenced a coke snorting during the trial, another an edited audio, but yes, it's me, the person who hasn't watched the trial.

This whole "Have you even watched the trial?" thing reminds me of when Jorp weirdos ask critics if they even read Jordan Peterson's books as if that made him sound better.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Everyone here weirdly just assumed if you're not pro-Depp, you never watched the trial. Also, look at all the replies since then; one referenced a coke snorting during the trial, another an edited audio, but yes, it's me, the person who hasn't watched the trial.

This whole "Have you even watched the trial?" thing reminds me of when Jorp weirdos ask critics if they even read Jordan Peterson's books as if that made him sound better.

Every time someone asks you if you watched the trial, you don't clarify and go to a "well, it actually seems like YOU are less likely to have watched the trial than me" type defense. Why not just answer the question?

And once again, it is less that people who are keeping up with the trial directly are pro-Depp, and more that they gravitate towards some level of neutrality or slight bias towards Depp at this point. You seem to be strikingly anti-Depp, which is just strange given all the facts. Just acknowledge that both are train wrecks.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

credible sources are telling me the turd has fled to mexico.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Tenkaris posted:

If she snorted coke she should be sniffling and dealing with nasal drip for a while. Meanwhile she could have just rubbed it on her gums, swallowed it, or shoved it up her rear end in a top hat instead for the same high. Literally everything else makes more sense than snorting it on the stand.

I don't know if jumping up, dropping pants and shoving a ball of cocaine up one's rear end while on the stand would make a whole lot more of sense but tbh i am not a lawyer.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Mooey Cow posted:

I don't know if jumping up, dropping pants and shoving a ball of cocaine up one's rear end while on the stand would make a whole lot more of sense but tbh i am not a lawyer.

Well not with THAT attitude...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If I were sitting on the stand, I would have simply jabbed a cocaine-and-saline needle into my thigh and claimed I was diabetic.

If pressed for why I chose that moment to shoot insulin, I would simply say that diabetes waits for no court of law.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Edward lovely Hands

Sorry if this has been posted im late to the party, I don't really know what's going on either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I could definitely see Amber Heard unfolding her triple-jointed legs like a pop-up canopy, all six of them, and--counting both her arms--that would make her a spider.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey. Where da memes at?

I was promised memes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey. Where da memes at?

I was promised memes.

There, don't say I never made anything for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There, don't say I never made anything for you

:lol: