Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

midnight lasagna posted:

Much like a rich man deciding he needs to buy a boat, Roy decides he needs to find a legendary weapon. And much like a rich man's boat this legendary weapon is going to sit around unused, at least until I can get somebody with S rank swords.

Nah that's way worse than just buying a boat, that's like buying a boat that's so big you have to deconstruct a historic bridge to even get it out to the ocean

quote:

You've voted for a world without Zinc.

It's fine, i have supplements :c00lbutt:

Woo, Lalum! Please try to let her survive a couple maps at least...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Pegasus Knights in this game are pretty underwhelming. The Wyvern Knights, though...oof

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hard Mode Thia is pretty good but then again it’s hard to be bad with Hard Mode boosts.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Pegasus Knights in this game are pretty underwhelming. The Wyvern Knights, though...oof

The ones here don't disappoint me as much as the RD ones. Provided we don't count Juno, who is barely a unit.The other two fit right in though - out of two, one is mediocre to poor but the other is really good.

But yeah the wyverns kinda smash the peg knights in this.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Haar_Dragon posted:

Klein is still technically an option, and by extension so is Tate. But since Klein has a silver bow and Roy is gonna have to hobble over to him, on 11A of all maps, it's...really not gonna be pretty. Arguably not even worth it since we need to go to Sacae to get the real ending, so the main reason to use Tate at all is "Pegasus Knight" in a game that has Miledy (or however they're spelling it now) and Zeiss.

It will certainly be...a thing.
I'll try my best to rescue drop Roy over to Klein with Marcus or someone. Tate I don't think I'll get much use out of and I'm not even going to attempt to keep the green units alive for the extra promotion items... But at the very least Klein has some very valuable stuff I'd like to have. He's also pretty strong even if he's way less cool than Dorothy.

vilkacis posted:

Woo, Lalum! Please try to let her survive a couple maps at least...
I'll do my best! There's no ballistae in her join chapter so she's not going to die instantly like Elphin might have. I might even give her my second Angelic Robe if I can, it would arguably be a waste but I also really don't want to lose my dancer to something silly. Like leaving her in range of a ballista.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

The Misty Isles... Now there's an adjective you don't want to see in Fire Emblem. Much like "foggy" or "dark", it's a signifier of the always annoying Fog of War. At least now I'll have the excuse of not having seen the thing that kills me!

Last chapter, Roy went home with all of his limbs attached. Now he's in the Western Isles to do chores for the Etrurian Empire who just saved him from Bern. Here begins the second arc of Roy's journey, the one where all of the ground tiles are yellow instead of green.

Time to enforce brutal colonialist rule in the Western Isles! Don't worry, we won't be doing that for very long. This map shows all the initial enemy placements, but it does not show the fog that will be covering nearly the entire map... It also does not show the 1,000 Pirates who will soon be spawning in from the forts for about 10 turns in a row. I still wish I could have Shanna rescue-drop Lilina onto one of those forts, I'm sure it would have been very funny.

Thankfully FE6 is very generous with the view radius of your units in fog. Your allies can see 5 tiles ahead of them, which is just short of the range from which an unpromoted infantry unit can move and attack from. Thieves however can see a whopping 10 tiles into the distance, allowing you to scope out quite a bit of the map just by swapping them around on the prep screen. Unfortunately their view range just falls short of allowing you to see the Halberd Fighter hiding out near the villages to punish anyone trying to grab them quickly with a horse unit.

This is also the introduction of the poison status effect. Poison damages you for 3 or so HP at the end of each turn, and unlike in Fates it can kill you. You can cure it with the Restore staff, which does show up in this chapter... If you visit the rightmost village that puts you on the B route. I'm not allowed to do that! You can also steal an Antitoxin from one of the many generics who are carrying them around, but honestly the damage poison deals is so insignificant it only really amounts to becoming staff EXP. Just the act of using up your one action per turn to cure your poison often does not feel worth it.

Everybody is coming along except the two Knights. The Western Isles are extremely cruel to them... They're full of axe users and fast enemies who will very easily double them. Chad is coming along to provide some extra assistance seeing through the fog, and Sue's here to recruit a different, better Nomad. Normally I would also be deploying Noah to recruit Fir, but Noah is dead!

There's also the Torch staff we picked up in Chapter 7. It lights up the area around the user... And only the user, because unlike later games you cannot direct it to surrounding tiles. It's honestly not good for much except EXP. Which I will absolutely be spamming it for.

Cecilia is here to express sympathies but not actually do anything. It would be quite nice if she joined here instead of 5 chapters later where she's stuck on a horse in the middle of the desert...

First cause of action: spam Torch as much as possible. All it does is increase the user's sight range to 9, and that range decreases one tile per turn. That's not even as good as a Thief's view range, but at least it's good EXP!

Time for Lance get a new outfit and face a different direction. The enemy in these games is always on the left side of the combat screen... Clearly this is symbolic of how through killing enough people to reach level 20, Lance himself has become a monster.

FE6 is extremely generous with its promotion gains, and these gains aren't even that good by this game's standards despite being much better than FE7. The 2 extra CON is very nice though, it's enough for Lance to be able to use Javelins without losing a single point of attack speed. Despite not existing in this game without hacking, female Cavaliers are coded to gain a whopping 8 speed upon promotion... So you might be in for a nice surprise if you're messing around with a randomiser.

S ranks are not mutually exclusive with one another in this game, so Lance's S rank in his namesake does not mean he can't get S in swords eventually too. Which is good, because promotiong automatically raises your ranks in certain weapons. He's also now got the ability to use axes... 11 CON is enough to only lose a single point of AS from Hand Axes, but they're still so inaccurate that there's not much point.

Hmm, I guess I did kind of send Elen out into enemy territory with no real plan. I guess I just wanted her to cover as much ground with her staff as possible! This is of course extremely easy to play around since she was the first person to move, but maybe that was a bit silly.

This map is full of Pirates who will casually stroll over water tiles to attack your squishiest allies. My Thieves will have high enough avoid to not be in too much danger, but I am keeping Merlinus around mostly as a distraction in case of Pirate ambush.

This annoyingly remote starting location combined with 1 tile corridors means my units are going to be tripping over one another trying to reach the enemy. All these wasted points of movement...

Marcus who? Lance survived the massacre that was this LP's first few chapters and now he gets to do the slaughtering. Unlucky Halberd hits or high power Mages are the only thing he's going to have to fear for a while.

The Longbow is nice for attacking enemies when all my other allies keep getting in the way. Pirates have terrible CON so their weapons weigh them down quite a bit, so they're a little easier to hit than normal.

Hey look, it's a girl I can't recruit! Surely Noah isn't the only person who could convince her to join...

But alas, not even this other guy I can recruit can do it. Recruiting Fir with Noah should be fairly obvious considering the little cutscene in Chapter 7, but the game gives you a hint that Sue's who you need for this guy. Which isn't much help if you've already started the chapter and didn't bring her.

Looks like Scott's dastardly plan to have Fir die and drop her sword for him will get to work out this time. Or at least it will until I kill him and all of his friends after Fir! Nobody gets to have it.

Only the Pirate reinforcements will go for the villages, the ones already on the map are quite content to sit and chill. This is good because otherwise I'm not even sure if it would be possible to save the leftmost village at all...

Marcus! That kill was for Roy! Zelot wouldn't have had the skill to crit these guys.

Only on turn 4 can my tiny-legged babies waddle over to where the enemies are and start getting some EXP for themselves. The tight chokepointy nature of this map makes it ideal for setting up kills, at least until the Pirates start arriving en masse.

Fir's going to show up around here somewhere, and then Sin shortly after. Normally the issue I want to avoid is Fir dying against one of my units, but even if I can't recruit her I do also want her not to kill any of my army with a crit.

She actually starts around hereish on the map... If you count tiles you can probably figure out exactly when she'll arrive. Sin's got a mount and he shows up later than she does though, I guess he takes his time?

My Torch spamming has paid off! Elen is now level 20. Her luck is also level 20, but luck caps at 30 regardless of class even if you're unpromoted.

Hi.

Yep, that's a level 1 unit. Hard mode bonuses! Can you please join my team anyway? Who cares about Noah, you don't need him...

HP: 75%
STR: 25%
SKL: 50%
SPD: 55%
LCK: 50%
DEF: 15%
RES: 20%

Affinity: Fire (Attack, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical)
Support Partners: Bartre, Karel, Rutger, Noah, Sin

We've had Rutger, yes... But what about second Rutger? Fir is Rutger with worse grows but a lower level and about the same stats, which averages out to very similar 20/20 stats. She does basically all the same things he does, except normally by now you'd have Rutger leveled up and possibly promoted too. Outclassed doesn't mean bad of course, but it's still the obvious comparison to make.

Her 25% strength growth really doesn't matter as much as you think it might, her base of 9 (or 8 if you're unlucky) is amazing and she'll have many, many oppurtunities to proc it. Her 5 CON's a bit unforunate, but the Wo Dao won't weigh her down. You could maybe argue her support affinity is better for killing bosses too... This chapter's a great place to level her up, it's full of axe users for her to clown on with little chance of getting hurt back... In theory. In practice Fir will dodge no 20% hits and die instantly. Statistics are statistics but some units are just cursed.

My Rating: 7.5/10. Marisa wishes she could have had HM bonuses.

Unfortunately at the end of the day she's a level 1 unit and Lance is a 20/1 Paladin with way too much speed. Better luck next time, Fir!

There was one big flaw in Scott's plan - Fir doesn't drop her sword upon death. Presumably with her last breath she cast it into the ocean, never to be seen again...

I still feel bad for that murder, even if it could not have been prevented at this point. I think I need some advanced clergy to confess my sins to. After a direct lightning strike to her butt, Elen becomes...

Elen with a nice robe and cool hat! Wow.

Lightning now courses through her veins, and will also course through her enemies as soon as she can find a shop that sells Lightning tomes. Light magic in FE6 (and most games, honestly) is rather mediocre, but here it is literally just anima with worse accuracy. Bishops do however gain a little extra EXP from participating in combat, so once your healers promote than can potentially start gaining EXP much faster.

Here's the second enemy with a face. Unlike the first one I am not going to be killing him. He might not have as high crit as Fir with her cool sword, but he does still have pretty good skill and a small crit bonus from his Short Bow.

Marcus will be in charge of chokepoint duty for this one, I want Lance to start heading over to the village in the south before reinforcements start arriving.

Of course Sin's no match for the second highest stats of my army, but he's still quite scary. He could definitely double and kill the likes of Lilina.

Nomads recruit more Nomads. I never really liked it when games do this, it means losing one unit of a class can potentially screw you out of two units of that class. Also if you put Sue and Sin together it spells "Suesin", which sounds a bit like "Susan". There's no significance to this.

It's the deadly Sin! I'm not sure which one. (W)rath's already in the prequel so he can't be that.

HP: 75%
STR: 45%
SKL: 50%
SPD: 50%
LCK: 25%
DEF: 10%
RES: 15%

Affinity: Ice (Defense, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical Avoid)
Support Partners: Sue, Dayan, Fir, Dorothy, Zeiss

Even before you factor in Hard mode bonuses, Sin is kind of just better than Sue. He's got higher base stats and strength in exchange for slightly worse growths in speed, luck, and skill. He's also got more CON, which in practice translates to more speed when using heavy weapons. And it's not as if that CON gives him any drawbacks compared to Sue, because for some reason girls have 5 less Aid when in mounted classes compared to boys! It's kind of a rough deal.

With HM bonuses there's no contest. He starts miles ahead and the only stat advantage Sue will have over him is 5 or so more luck when they're both fully trained. Unlike Sue who starts out mediocre and has to be fed kills for her first few levels, Sin's fast and strong enough to 2RKO nearly anything and is bulky to boot. He's the first bow user you get who gets to be good right out of the gate. He moves fast, he takes out fliers, and he's accurate and reliable too. What's not to like? If he has one real flaw it's that his starting bow rank is rather low for when you get him. Wolt, Dorothy, and Sue all start at D rank too, but you will have had them for a few chapters more. If you've been training one of them then they'll get to enjoy having the Killer Bow to themselves for just a little longer.

My Rating: 9/10. A bow user with base stats!

Let's put him to work luring over these Archers. There is a Halberd guy lurking in this fog somewhere, but it'll take him two turns to reach Sin if he starts moving now... And Nomads don't count as horse units for effective damage purposes anyway.

Yep, that's a 0% hit rate :3: Lance can smash through these enemies at the south with ease, but anybody else would be having a little bit of trouble dealing with melee and magic at the same time.

And even his res is still kinda bad. With Lot to help Lance can boost all his defensive stats, but a 1% crit from this guy would still take off over three quarters of his HP.

Supports do indeed make a difference, as you can see. In all honesty, I think this is the first time I've really bothered with them in a GBA game? Or well I've done countless supports soley for the purpose of filling out the support log, but this is the first time I've done them strictly for their combat benefits. I never looked up the actual numbers each affinity gives and made decisions based off of those until this LP...

I should be able to make a little chokepoint here at the top until the Pirates arrive. The enemies by the villages I think are entirely stationary until provoked, but the boss has a few annoying enemies near him that'll move on their own. I always thought of Paladins as having high resistance in FE games, but how true actually is that? They tend to have pretty good resistance gains upon promotion and Marcus himself starts with a pretty hefty base res, but otherwise I can't really think of any examples.

Here's the sneaky Halberd man. All the Archers + this guy seem like a rather cruel combination to spring on a blind player who might think they have less time than they actually do to visit these.

I'm still trying to feed Ogier kills. He keeps getting strength... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Letting my healers take hits feels wrong even when it's planned and I know they have 0 chance of death from it. Elen's high luck doesn't quite make her as evasive as I would have hoped...

No more odd levels, Lilina is normal now. Just magic is okay, it'll help her get kills faster and that means more magic!

Lurking in the gloom is the game's first Berserker boss, which seems rather cruel for only the 3rd promoted boss in the game. Berserkers get an insane +30 crit that basically means whoever fights him has to either be able to take a critical hit and live or be so evasive that his crit rate doesn't matter.

Roy's risking an awful lot of damage for a guy who's not on a horse. Is his defense that bad?

Yeah I guess it kind of is. That's a single point he's gained in 13 levels on a 25% growth... Not hugely unlikely, but still disappointing.

Sin's so low level that he's earning 50 EXP per kill despite being on par with my much higher level units. Speed is all I really want from him right now, he's in a slightly awkward area where he falls short of doubling faster enemies.

Basically! You'll notice that the south and west are full of Pirates, while the north and east are Fighter territory. I'm not sure what the signicance of that is. This Silver Sword will let Lance truly become Marcus 2.0... And it'll be a lot better for hitting bosses than the Silver Lance too.

And here comes the reinforcements. One from every fort on the map for every turn for the next 8 or so turns...

I wanted to leave Ogier on this forest tile to lure all the ones in the middle over to him, but they're just ignoring him to go chase after my northernmost squad. Rude!

I might need to hurry up and beat the boss before things get too crowded. With the southern village visited I only need to visit the leftmost village and the shops here before I've got everything I came for, but the extra EXP from stalling would be nice too...

I'll have to stall anyway because I currently do not have enough people to both push Roy forward and choke this point. The Pirates can't climb the cliffs above and to the right of their fort, so this bridge is a little more secure than it looks...

Yep, they want nothing to do with Ogier and his forest hideout and they're all coming for Roy. That's unfortunate!

I suppose I could have him wander north a little to lure some of them over... So long as he's not too far away to get back into cover as soon as they spot him he should be safe.

Lance meanwhile will ride up the left side to kill Scott and possibly join up with Roy to help choke the point if he still needs help. With Lot's support I'm confident he can handle him on his own.

Sin and Dorothy clean up the enemies near the villages. Dorothy's not looking as impressive now that Sin's here... But I think being good without HM bonuses is the true victory.

Marcus can leave them to finish off that last Archer and do some shopping. He's got a chokepoint to go help manage.

Merlinus can choke the point while he makes his way over... By which I mean he can die and stall the Mercenary for a single turn because he can't attack and then move. Poor Merlinus, being immortal sucks!

Some of the Pirates took the bait! Ogier will be perfectly fine with the extra +20% avoid he'll get from retreating back to the forest. This isn't going to be another Lugh unless he's really, really unlucky.

Straight up one shot, he didn't even have to get doubled. Unfortunately he gets no EXP from dying... He'll never make it to level 2!

These enemies are higher level than last map but Lot still is leveling up infuriatingly slowly. Come on, just 2 more levels! I refuse to let him touch that crest until he's hit level 20.

Maybe I don't mind waiting these reinforcements out after all, this is quite a nice little chokepoint. Roy and Lilina make a good team! Of course if Roy gets hit I'm going to have to scramble to save him, but he can take 2 hits and poison damage and still live to run back to safety.

Scott is finally in range. He's... well he can't OHKO Lance with a crit, so he's not as bad as he could be. I'd still rather wait for Lot to be in range to provide support just so this fight goes a little smoother though.

Scott is like Dory from Chapter 5 but... weaker? I guess they thought 19 or 20 strength on a guy with 50% crit would be unfair. Or maybe that's just what happens when you're not receiving twice the bonuses you should be. It might be tempting to use Fir against this guy but he's actually pretty accurate, the Killer Axe hits just as often as a regular Iron one and his skill stat isn't terrible. A base level Marcus could take a crit Hand Axe hit from him so if you had absolutely no other option I guess you'd be baiting out his ranged weapon and then leaving Marcus in front of him over and over until he's dead.

This choke has unfortunately sprung a leak. That's the annoying thing about water walking enemies, it's very hard to tell where they can go at a glance. I can move this chokepoint as soon as I get rid of that Mercenary...

Oops, I forgot I didn't have very much money! I'll buy some Heal staves and that's it. No Lightning tomes yet, Elen's newfound powers of literacy will have to wait.

That's right, there are no men exclusive to the A route, which talking to you has just locked us into. The route split is decided by whichever of these two villages you visit. It kind of makes sense plotwise in that Roy will decide his actions (checking out the mines all the locals are being forced to work in or investating the local resistance group) based off of what the village he visits tells him, but it's still a bit silly and abritrary all the same. Especially since it's much easier to visit the far left village! People who've played this game without a guide might not even know there is a Route B.

The left village has a Killer Bow and the right one has a Restore staff. Thankfully the game is nice enough to give you a Restore on the A route regardless. If both villages are destroyed or you don't visit either one then the game defaults to A.

This chokepoint looks much safer. If Roy had supported Marcus he'd have so much avoid here the Pirates wouldn't even be able to hit him... I just didn't want him to support someone I knew I would eventually bench. Marcus is a support point thief!!!

Seems like Roy's now far away enough that they've found a new group to harass. You cut that out!

Ogier's finally getting some company too. Unfortunately most of them have Hand Axes so he can't attack them without leaving his forest... I guess 1 EXP per combat is still EXP!

That's defense! The treshold required to kill Lilina in one hit just got a little higher. It's still a prospect I'm worried about, I'm sure there are enemies that could do 27 damage or over with the right weapons...

Nope, Lance is fitter and healthier than ever! But you appear to have a sword in your shoulder.

Should I stay and farm the last of these reinforcements for EXP? I was a little worried about getting overwhelmed for a few turns, but now things are much more stable. I just need to bail out Saul and then I've got chokepoints set up everywhere...

Yeah, let's stall. If it weren't for this Physic staff I'd have to seize now or risk a Saul death, but with this he can take another hit. Healers have gotta look out for one another.

These two aren't near enough the action and have too little health left to risk luring too many enemies near them, so they can just stay and support one another instead.

One health left... Ooh, this is perfect. Do I have anyone in range who can take advantage of this?

Besides Lance that is. He's too strong already! If he gets any faster he'll break the sound barrier.

Yeah no this isn't worth risking the run over. If he missed than he might eat a crit from range the turn after. As cool as it would have been...

If only everyone else hadn't been busy. That's no army, that's just one guy! One guy powered up by two of his friends standing slightly close to him I guess.

Lot's slowly making his way up to level 20 too. That's the second luck proc he's gotten ever. I knew it was worth waiting!

This is how you build a support with someone, you say their name at them over and over. It shows them that you care!

Roy gets back on the front lines with the power of supports, and Lilina gets some kills from the safety of this chokepoint. Defense is nice, keep getting that.

Lot... is not reaching level 20 this map. But he's so close... I swear even Lance earned more EXP per kill than this!

Even Ogier manages to score some kills by moving around to bait his enemies into spots where he can hit them from his forest. I have no idea why he's getting so much strength. With Lance replacing Rutger I guess he wants to replace Dieck?

All the Pirates are dead! Go us. Surely these isles are safe now.

Safe from crime, not safe from legally sanctioned colonial atrocities. Let's go free the people! I'm sure Etruria won't mind.

So no preventable deaths occured this map, but I did still have to kill Fir. This does make me glad I didn't take the B route after all... Sure it means no Karel, but I'd feel guilty having Bartre on my team after killing his only daughter. She's lost forever, as well as her cool sword... I wanted that sword.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually lost both Fir and Shin on this map. Fir got killed by Shin because Sue wasn't in position to recruit him immediately, and she ate that Short Bow crit of me forgetting that Short Bow's are shittier Iron Bows with a 10% crit.... Cursed indeed.

Shin himself died with me forgetting that Pirates can walk over the river to smack him, letting the Elfire mage take a shot. And he still had a good chance of surviving with 30-40% hit rates on both of those opponents. Oopsie doodle.

I find FE6 to be the one where supports are at its most useful. You have the needlessly large maps which naturally make you spend more time on them... which means that they're building supports if you're giving a little care to build them. And you have the big crit bullshit bosses who could really use the support stats to neutralize their crit or hit rates.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 25, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc level 18+ units are supposed to gain Exp a little slower than freshly promoted ones, so that might have actually been the case wrt Lot vs Lance’s exp gain this map.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

getting real sick of your poo poo narcian

quote:

Also if you put Sue and Sin together it spells "Suesin", which sounds a bit like "Susan". There's no significance to this.

Or is there... :thunk:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Technically since FE6 is nothing but seize maps, you could have kept Fir alive if you'd tried hard enough. Since we're leaving Bartre behind on the Isles too, she might even have met up with her dad eventually! But instead, you chose violence. :colbert:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I somehow regularly see route B far more than I see route A, despite the layout of the towns

i don't know how i do it

Cattail Prophet posted:

Technically since FE6 is nothing but seize maps, you could have kept Fir alive if you'd tried hard enough. Since we're leaving Bartre behind on the Isles too, she might even have met up with her dad eventually! But instead, you chose violence. :colbert:

its not like she was even worth much experience at this point

Has anyone ever done a minimum kills run in an FE game? I'd have to imagine someone has at this point, but I got to wondering about it recently. It'd probably be a lot of Jagen/Seth Emblem though.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Keldulas posted:

I actually lost both Fir and Shin on this map. Fir got killed by Shin because Sue wasn't in position to recruit him immediately, and she ate that Short Bow crit of me forgetting that Short Bow's are shittier Iron Bows with a 10% crit.... Cursed indeed.

Shin himself died with me forgetting that Pirates can walk over the river to smack him, letting the Elfire mage take a shot. And he still had a good chance of surviving with 30-40% hit rates on both of those opponents. Oopsie doodle.

I find FE6 to be the one where supports are at its most useful. You have the needlessly large maps which naturally make you spend more time on them... which means that they're building supports if you're giving a little care to build them. And you have the big crit bullshit bosses who could really use the support stats to neutralize their crit or hit rates.

Oh dear, one recruitable unit killing the other is just about the worst way that could have gotten. How tragic!

I do agree that supports feel more necessary here, for hit rates and crit avoid if nothing else. It makes me wonder if the GBA FE meta would look any different if supports worked like they did in PoR where they build just by deploying units together in the same map...

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc level 18+ units are supposed to gain Exp a little slower than freshly promoted ones, so that might have actually been the case wrt Lot vs Lance’s exp gain this map.
I know the Shadow Dragon has massively reduced EXP gains for unpromoted units past a certain level compared to freshly promoted ones, I don't know about the GBA games? Looking at the EXP formula it seems like they don't, but the formula is kind of impenetrable to me.

vilkacis posted:

getting real sick of your poo poo narcian
Lol. Roy had better keep that hand, then he can slap Narcian with it to initiate a duel when we finally fight him for real.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh no, I'm a monster! Now I won't get the pacifist ending. If Barthe had been alive I'm sure I could have had her attack him until her weapon broke if I really, really wanted...

Odd Wilson posted:

Has anyone ever done a minimum kills run in an FE game? I'd have to imagine someone has at this point, but I got to wondering about it recently. It'd probably be a lot of Jagen/Seth Emblem though.
I've definitely seen playthroughs where you're not allowed to ever initiate attack, and I've seen ones where you have to kill every enemy, I don't think I've ever seen a low kill playthrough? Being able to reach the goal seems like it would be the hardest part if you end up getting boxed in by all the bodies you can't get rid of.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Western Resistance? I thought we were heading north! Roy needs to check his compass.

Time for some nouns. I feel like the Western Isles get a lot of geographic detail for how few chapters you actually spend there. I of course will commit none of these names to memory.

Roy sends a letter to the evil people asking if they are evil, and they respond by killing the messenger. Snord here appears to be a Wagner recolour, which has just made me realise another detail of the route split - in route A you fight only magical bosses, in route B you fight purely Generals. Interesting!

Now here's a rather straightforward map. It's a big stright line down to the seize point. The enemies are all clustered up in very arbitrary formations, and aside from the Archer off to the side and the Shaman near the boss there are only 2 individual groups of enemies and lots of chokepoints. Enemy reinforcements and the appearence of recruitable allies are going to make things a little more complicated than they might seem at first, but this should otherwise be some nice free EXP! First bets on how I get Lance killed this map.

This shootman has attached himself to a Ballista to enable him to shoot from very far away. Unlike in future GBA titles ballistae cannot move, but some of them do have a lot of range. Unfortunately this one's positioning means it will be quite hard to kill the guy manning it before all of its ammunition runs out.

If you thought stationary Berserker bosses were bad, check this out: our first promoted generic! And he's the scariest class in the game! And he's in the middle of a big group of enemies.

He's also got a single point of strength over the boss from last map. As far as I can tell he won't move until you enter his attack range. I've got Lance to tank and/or dodge his hits, but otherwise your best bet is probably using one of the fast swordsmen that you hopefully have not gotten killed!

There are of course also Pirates. At least they won't be showing up for a little while... And they'll only spawn from this one fort. As soon as the Ballista is down you could block this off with Shanna... Assuming you have not killed her.

Nord's got a trick up his sleeve that Wagner didn't have - the dreaded Nosferatu tome. Pre-3DS Nosferatu heals the user for all the damage it deals instead of just half, and unlike later games it doesn't weigh nearly as much. If this were FE7 or 8 then Nord would be stuck with a measly 4AS, but here he doesn't get weighed down at all. It's also just as accurate here as it is in later games, so unlike other bosses he's not going to be missing all of his shots. He'll probably still die to Lance with a Killing Edge though!

Sin can't use Killer Bows so he must make do with the worse Short Bow. Short Bows do also weigh less than iron ones, but there's not a single bow user who's got less than 5 CON so it doesn't matter at all.

I almost have a full team now! Astolfo and Merlinus are still kind of filler, but I'm not bringing along anyone I'd call useless here. I don't have any real plans to use either of the new recruits joining in this map, but we'll see.

Oh no... I've been calling Larum by the wrong name all this time! You can never tell how Ls and Rs are going to get localised, her name could have been anything. I think I prefer Lalum... It sounds nicer.

Roy's psychic powers tell him that there might be a recruitable enemy among the soldiers we'll be facing. Normally you can follow the rule of "if they have a face and they're not ugly you can recruit them", but this map contains the one exception... This warning isn't exactly helpful though, you'd try to recruit anybody with a face anyway and it offers no hints as to would do the recruiting.

Baiting these enemies will be somewhat annoying as they are all clumped together and a lot of them have ranged weapons. I could send Lance in and have him stomp the whole lot of them no problem, but I would like for someone who isn't him to get at least some of the EXP.

Or I guess there's one tiny problem for Lance here. If the enemy can hit him with this it'll do a lot of damage... But that's a big if.

I'll split my army so Lance can lure over most of the Mercenaries while the bulk of my army slowly pulls the rest across the river. "Armagh" is the noise this guy makes when you kill him with a crit. Look at Roy cutting through these enemies! That's the power of Lilina's support.

Lance on the other hand one rounds basically everything if I'm not careful. The generics here compare to him about as much as the Chapter 1 generics compared to base level Marcus. Who knows, maybe he'll be enough to carry me with 0 deaths for the rest of the game? Or at least until Sacae...

The Ballista does 3 damage to him, assuming it hits. Subtract his defense of 14 and the 1 point he gains form his Lot support, and that equals a might of 18. That's good to know. They won't be one-shotting even my weakest units...

Armagh! Don't you turn to the camera and wink at me Mr. Mercenary, this is neither cute or funny.

Sigh. Mercenaries truly are the worst.

I suppose that is still pretty scary. I deliberately avoided this guy until Lance could safely engage him on player phase just in case he got a lucky hit in, but it's probably safe to not worry about Halberds so long as Lance is getting avoid from one of his supports. Probably.

Wow. He's so good! But don't think I haven't noticed you deliberately avoiding both of your accuracy stats. It doesn't matter how big your numbers are if you can't hit anything...

Oh! I didn't expect that to work, I just did it because I could. I can't believe Lot was the only one who managed to hit a merc this turn...

100% worth waiting until level 20. I want that bulk! It's actually rather uncharacteristic of Lot to hit level 20 with strength as his highest non-HP stat, but I guess with the death of his brother and no Bartre that someone has to act like a proper Fighter.

Oh dear, this Fighter's going to get some severe sunburn. One nice thing about all the Hand Axes is that it's possible to lure enemies to attack my ranged units over the river, but if whoever's holding the bridge doesn't have a ranged weapon they'll more likely end up the target of these 2 range attacks.

Ah, the most wonderful sound. SPANG! Tink just doesn't hit the same.

Time to promote Lot- oh, the magic promotion lightning missed him. Can he try again...? I only have the one Hero's Crest.

Lot is now a whole Lot better... And a whole Lot bigger! Just look at that axe, even if the blades were missing you could club someone to death with it like a bat. Or a club. These promotion gains are so, so much better than the GBA ones... Warriors in those games don't gain any speed at all upon promotion, which is part of why the Fighters from FE7 and 8 are so medicore. That +8 HP and +3 defense means Lot's not going to be dying to physical attacks any time soon.

Lot can even survive hits that cut the battle forecast in half. He's not going to, but he could easily tank a crit or two from that one Berserker...

He also gets to shoot stuff with bows now. Or possibly just hold the bow in place while he shoots the foe with fingerguns. His accuracy with them still isn't great, but he's a lot more likely to hit stuff at range now than he ever was with a Hand Axe. Bows might actually replace axes as his primary source of damage dealing if I don't care about counterattacks...

Here come the Pirates! Given that this map is mostly just 2 big clumps of enemies there's really not much to comment on, so I appreciate the occassional change of pace. Am I going to farm every last spawn for EXP? Absolutely.

Oops. I thought one of those tiles was a cliff but it wasn't! I think it's the tile the giant MISS! text is covering. Not that the miss text was covering it when I made the decision to put him here.

Well Astolfo almost got left with just 1 HP, I guess that's interesting. It's going to be a little harder to keep Thieves alive now that long range weaponry has started to show up.

Hold the phone! This is now a Goose Game. Just who is this handsome pirate with his popped collar and extremely square jaw?

It's a green NPC who's going to make his way over to Roy so he can be recruited. Little does he know that in choosing green over red he has doomed himself to mediocrity...

Sue, is that you? So many otherwise amazing units in this game have otherwise mediocre luck stats so I'm always glad to see it increase.

A crueler game would have had AI Geese walk straight towards the enemies and die immediately after aggroing the Berserker and all of his friends, so I'm glad he's smart enough to try recruiting himself. Roy's still a ways away though, I have been playing somewhat slowly to feed as many of the initial enemy group to my weaker units as possible.

There's only a single Shaman on the entire map, and he immediately makes his way towards you from his starting position. The Flux tome did not get the same loving treatment that anima magic got in this game and actually has less accuracy than it does here in later games, but at least it's quite a bit lighter. It also has a super long animation that makes me very glad I have access to a speed up button!

It's too late now Geese, you can't aggro on Roy to retroactively give yourself Hard mode bonuses! Just be grateful your promotion item isn't worth 50,000 gold.

Here's 3 geese stacked up on top of one another in a longcoat. Unfortunately Geese does not quite live up to the combat potential of his namesake, but he's still a pretty cool character! His localised name was confirmed as early as the first ever localised Fire Emblem game by virtue of him being mentioned in a support conversation by his older brother Geitz.

An important disclaimer - I have never used Geese. As in, I don't even think I've ever entered him in combat? So all of this analysis is spectulative... Like pretty much all of my other analyses tbh. I did say they wouldn't be very reliable!

HP: 85%
STR: 50%
SKL: 30%
SPD: 40%
LCK: 40%
DEF: 20%
RES: 10%

Affinity: Fire (Attack, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical)
Support Partners: Echidna, Cath, Douglas, Larum, Garret)

Geese is not Gonzalez. That's pretty much it, unfortunately. He is an axe user who is not the much better guy who joins in the same chapter (or one chapter earlier in route B...), he's not one of the two axe guys you'd have had 8 or so chapters to train up before this point, he's not Echidna or Bartre... Sure he's cool, but what good does that do you in the world of Fire Emblem? Quite a lot admittedly, but I've never really seen this guy talked about all that much.

Berserker is a cool and powerful class, and Geese's stats aren't awful... They're just not that good either. I guess he's got decent strength and speed in addition to decent skill and luck, but he's not especially good at anything. Compared to Gonzalez he's going to be slightly more accurate and less prone to getting crit but otherwise worse at everything. His promotion will give him a whopping 3 CON, but wouldn't you rather have a guy who's not weighed down by Hand and Steel Axes before he promotes? I guess he can walk on water but that would have been more useful in Chapter 9. His one other bonus is his high axe rank - B is enough to use the Brave Axe he starts with, so at least for a little while he might be the only unit you have who can make use of it. Too bad it's both very heavy and very inaccurate!

My Rating: 4/10. Wishes he had joined as an enemy.

If I wanted to use him I could send him to the beach to farm Pirates, but I don't so I won't. One day I'd like to try training him though. Maybe he's good in Project Ember?

Lance meanwhile will brave Berserker Bridge, and hopefully set up a kill for one of my weaker units in the process. Lance got to have the Scott kill, he can't get this one too!

In addition to making Gonzalez louder and angrier, Hard mode also makes all the characters ask where he is whenever he's not on screen. I think this is another name I've been spelling wrong up to this point... I'm too used to the other spelling of this name used by the famous Glitz Pit wrestling star.

There he is! He's only ugly on the outside, his inner beauty allows him to be a candidate for recruitment. But honestly he's more cute ugly than monstrous ugly, he'd look very out of place as a boss portrait.

He's also going to destroy that village that Geese came from. I assume the Pirates are there to do the same, but I don't actually know. Is Gonzalez going to learn the value of destroying a village firsthand? Is he going to be taking notes?

Yep, it's like I'm playing Birthright again. Crit numbers bigger than hit numbers. A crit from this guy would hurt about as much as a regular hit from a Halberd, but he's got no chance of touching Lance through both of his supports.

And now he is dead. Lilina might recruit a few bandits, but she's not recruiting you!

Speed! That's nice. And skill too, that's rare, although not hugely useful on account of anima already being very accurate.

Ogier and Dorothy can set up camp here to feast on Pirate reinforcements. I hope Pirate meat isn't too salty and gamey!

This is an uncharacteristically bad level... You've got to do better now that you have competition! But I suppose skill is nice.

Geese's water walking makes him well suited for immediately backtracking to the village he came from and getting the loot before Gonzalez reaches it. I'd like to think he's just picking up something he had forgotten...

Good thing Ogier's not a Knight like the rest of his squad was! Putting a Hammer here feels pointlessly cruel, your armour units would already struggle enough here...

Yum yum, tasty EXP. One of my units is doing better here than the other.

I choose to avoid a very unlikely risk and move Lance instead of going for this 98 hit at 1 range. Sure it would have basically been a 100% chance, but it would have been a really embarassing way to lose Lilina. She hasn't even recruited Gonzalez yet!

Hang on, where's this Pirate going? Don't you like the EXP trap I've set up? You're not reaching that village anyway...

I'd be worried about Larum if she's bringing home axes too, that seems dangerous! You probably should have given that axe to Geese before he set off.

The Swordreaver reverses the weapon triangle and therefore is effective against swords and poor against lances. It's a pretty nice way of allowing axe users to hit sword guys they'd otherwise have no hope in hell of touching. I might save it for some of the trickier and dodgier bosses?

Too late Gonzalez, the village has already been plundered! You'll just have to join us instead.

Don't listen to older boys who tell you to burn down villages, those people are not your friends. You should listen to us instead! We commit good-aligned murder.

Gonzalez is a big boy with big stats. In a great and rather tragic bit of storytelling he's equipped with an axe that has a 24% chance to hurt him instead of his target... His employers really don't care about his wellbeing.

HP: 90%
STR: 60%
SKL: 15%
SPD: 40%
LCK: 35%
DEF: 25%
RES: 5%

Affinity: Lightning (Defense, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Lilina, Echidna, Dayan, Trec, Garret, Bartre

15 strength at level 5! That's pretty impressive. Even his 8 skill is quite nice for his level. Just ignore that 15% growth... Gonzalez hits fast and hard, but that's assuming he can hit at all. His strength is through the roof and when combined with the 30% crit bonus from promoting into Berserker you'll have a force to be reckoned with. He's also got the CON to use almost any axe without speed penalties, although it does also mean most other units won't be able to carry him. With his amazing base stats and growths he can easily hit his strength and speed caps of 30 and 28 respectively even if you don't promote him at level 20...

Gonzo's biggest problem is that he cannot hit for poo poo. Even with his alright base and 5 extra skill upon promotion he's going to struggle, since axes just are not accurate and his support affinity doesn't boost his accuracy without outside help. He's tanky enough to take hits in retaliation even if he does miss, but all the fast sword users of the Sacae route won't be kind to him... And that unfortunately is where I'm going. I think you could easily argue he's a better unit than Lot, but I'm not sure I want to invest my EXP into someone as unreliable as he is. I'll still probably bring him along on missions as filler if I have the room, but I don't think I'll invest a Hero's Crest into him. But we'll see!

My Rating: 7.5/10. Wishes he were in a game where axes are better.

First order of business is to give him a real weapon. Don't hurt yourself with that axe! IIRC the Devil Axe is very strong and gives a huge amount of WEXP per swing, but I don't want anybody dying to accidentally dropping it on their foot.

This Archer just gives up and stands still when he runs out of ammo. You have another weapon, use that! It might not be as big or as cool but this is not a good situation to be in!

Lucky! Again. Sin's slowly chugging along. It's a shame Dorothy has such a hard time keeping up with him, maybe I should try supporting him with Zeiss when he joins...

Barely any enemies are left on the map, the victory music is playing... Is it over? Have I won?

Nah. Fighters are about to start spilling out these forts consecutively for a few turns. Of course I could preemptively cover them or hurry up and beat the boss... But EXP! Gotta raise my guys before the hell that is Chapter 11A.

Ogier is of course still killing pirates. That's 12 in 3 consecutive stats at level 12! How visually appealing.

The Fighters emerge and proceed to make some strange targetting decisions I don't really understand. Surely you'd hit the weaker Roy with melee weapons and target the powerful but worse at dodging Lot with the less accurate Hand Axes...?

The lack of breaks between spawns will make it a bit hard to feed kills to Lilina, but a wall like this should be fine enough. Ambush spawns that appear right at the end of a map (in space, not time) are just annoying, I feel like the encourage slow turtly playstyles more than hurrying up.

Even Marcus is getting in on the action. Ironically, this is his first bad level! At least he'll get crit even less than before.

Ogier has moved from strength to defense, while Roy skillfully avoids the 3 most useful stats. His skill and luck are both amazing now, he's definitely the best in my army at actually hitting stuff.

All this downtime is good for building supports. How many girls are even in this army? Elen, Lilina, Gwendolyn, Sue... Saul's not been flirting with her so Dorothy's not counting herself. At least one of those girls is like 15. A B support between these two gives +1 attack, +1 defense, +10 accuracy, +10 avoid, + 5 critical, and +5 critical evade. That's pretty good if I can keep these two together.

Numbers numbers numbers. I'm getting to the point where levels stop being interesting to comment on. I love numbers!

Okay, that's enough. Nord can heal himself back up for all the damage he deals so killing him's going to be a bit tricky. Why aren't I using the much more accurate bows instead of axes? That's a very good question! I don't know.

Don't worry, I eventually figured it out. Given how hard it is to set up kills against foes with Nosferatu I decided not to bother. You'd think a Nord would have experience dealing with stealth archers...

This definitely seems like a reaction you'd have to fatal physical trauma. Am I dead? Let me just check my pusle... Oh dear.

Well 21 turns isn't awful by my slow standards. But what if I slowed down some more to grind up supports? Lance and Lot are still at only C rank after all!

Ah, young love. I'm sure these two teenagers will definitely stay together for the rest of their lives! Roy can marry as many girls as Chrom but I do have to choose one of them, and Lilina's the fastest candidate. I have pretty much 0 attachment to Roy as a character and thusly do not care who he ends up with... I just want the stats.

An A support between these two gives +3 attack, +1 defense, +15 accuracy, +7 avoid, and +15 critical. It's not particularly convenient for me to keep Roy near Lance all of the time, but it should be easy for him and Lilina to stick close together.

Now I think I've hit the per chapter support point cap. Dorothy & Sin and Lance & Lot are both earning like 1 point per turn so they'll be a while yet.

drat it, he was using Nord VPN so we couldn't track his online activity! Now we'll never be able to figure out his motivations.

Oh hello Larum. Roy's hard of hearing so you have to shout everything very loudly directly into his ear. I swear half of his lines in this game have been "What?". Not that I've transcribed any of them...

Well this sure is nice. Would have been nice to have back in Chapter 7! Surprisingly enough there are no wyverns or dragons in Chapter 11, despite both of those things being common ways of making a map very difficult. So you'll want to keep this in storage for a little while...

Wait, this was Echidna's sword? Was she fighting dragons with it? That's pretty badass. I sure hope she doesn't spawn right at the same time as 3 axe-using Fighters who immediately aggro onto her without a sword to have WTA against them...

Next time: & Knuckles.

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 28, 2022

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
Geese! I like Geese, he's way cooler than geese. I used him on my first run and he was one of like four people who broke two digit Strength by end of game. The others were Roy, Rutger and I think Fae of all people. My first run of this game was not particularly good.

Gonzalez on the other hand I've never used, but I won't deny he's technically better than Coolguy McCoat. It'd be hypocritical to say I like Lilina as a unit but not Gonz, I just kinda didn't use him.

And now, the main event.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You know that's Ogier, not Dieck, right? Are... are you seeing ghosts? Is Roy going to start wearing an eye patch and screaming about killing every last one of them? :ohdear:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Cattail Prophet posted:

You know that's Ogier, not Dieck, right? Are... are you seeing ghosts? Is Roy going to start wearing an eye patch and screaming about killing every last one of them? :ohdear:

Oops! You would think being a Fire Emblem fan would have made me better about telling the difference between blue-haired swordsmen.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite playthrough of this game had Gonzales trying his absolute damnedest to be accepted by people by getting 4+ stars just about every level. By the time he promoted he could probably have soloed the rest of the game. Guy was beefy, fast, accurate, and durable as hell

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cattail Prophet posted:

That would do Roy's character a ton of good at least.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Geese owns in Project Ember, naturally. He gets a Killer hand axe with good accuracy. Frankly even in vanilla I prefer using him over Gonzalez, he’s just barely balanced so that he gets the berserker strengths while also being able to hit worth a poo poo. And the Brave Axe means it’s pretty easy to feed him a few kills.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, I still think Lalum sounds better than Larum. Something about that L and the more divided syllables.

Geese is good, Gonzales is good, I like my big axe friends.

midnight lasagna posted:

I've definitely seen playthroughs where you're not allowed to ever initiate attack, and I've seen ones where you have to kill every enemy, I don't think I've ever seen a low kill playthrough? Being able to reach the goal seems like it would be the hardest part if you end up getting boxed in by all the bodies you can't get rid of.

I might give it a shot when I finish off this Awakening Ironman I've been chipping away at while I eat breakfast. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to sacrifice units to open a way to the boss. I suppose rout maps will be my only EXP, so which game I end up choosing will make a big difference in the final killcount.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'd rate Geese as a 5 or 6/10 rather than a mere 4. He turns out alright if you use him, and his stats are passable.

Gonzales you should really just promote as soon as he hits level 10, if you intend to use him.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Seeing lower level Gonzales is killing me here due to how strength screwed my B path Gonzales is. He has literally gained no strength or speed and he’s level 17. And while the strength doesn’t matter since he’ll likely be fine there regardless, the speed is seriously concerning and hindering.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

I might give it a shot when I finish off this Awakening Ironman I've been chipping away at while I eat breakfast. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to sacrifice units to open a way to the boss. I suppose rout maps will be my only EXP, so which game I end up choosing will make a big difference in the final killcount.

Shadow Dragon is by far the best choice. All seize maps, just like this game, and you get your first warp staff in chapter 3.

Technically Thracia would work too if you do captures only, but that would be a very different kind of challenge.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 28, 2022

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Time for some nouns.

At least they're not pronouns, we already have blue hair :brainworms:

quote:

No!! This translation is wrong and i will never accept it!! :argh:

quote:

Armagh! Don't you turn to the camera and wink at me Mr. Mercenary, this is neither cute or funny.

He's not listening :saddowns:

quote:

These promotion gains are so, so much better than the GBA ones...

FE6 is also on the gba :ssh:

quote:

Hold the phone! This is now a Goose Game.

And a titled one at that! That might actually be even better.

It's a lovely morning in the Western Isles...

quote:

Little does he know that in choosing green over red he has doomed himself to mediocrity...

I was going to say that's better than a guaranteed death but :v:

quote:

His employers really don't care about his wellbeing.

And here i was thinking i was playing fire emblem as an escape from real life.

quote:

I have pretty much 0 attachment to Roy as a character

Roy is a good boy. We are now posting enemies :mad:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always played with an odd thought where L'Arachel somehow ends up in Elibe and becomes besties with Roy

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Cattail Prophet posted:

Shadow Dragon is by far the best choice. All seize maps, just like this game, and you get your fisrt warp staff in chapter 3.

Technically Thracia would work too if you do captures only, but that would be a very different kind of challenge.

If I was looking for absolute minimum killcount, Shadow Dragon sounds like a good choice. The challenge would be pretty unique for every game really, as the minimum kills is really based on how many seize and defend maps there are. Awakening and Fates are probably horrible in this regard.

I was thinking Sacred Stones myself, just because Seth can carry the game on his back for a long while, and I can just backpack the lord units with rescue and do flier drops,

I think I'll try doing it with SD first though, I'm all for Jagen Emblem.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always played with an odd thought where L'Arachel somehow ends up in Elibe and becomes besties with Roy

Sounds like a good idea for a romhack to me

I still don't know why there isn't already a romhack to just make her the main character of Sacred Stones.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It would make Roy more interesting, if nothing else!

Seriously, I think he has more iterations of "I see..." than the entire rest of the series and it's just a vanilla "I am expected to respond" line.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who doesn't have the emotional fortitude to do an iron man run, I am loving this LP. I spent today catching up with it, and I'm still shook from the chapter 5 bloodbath.

Also I'm loving that--between Dorothy, Lot, and Astolfo--the Brown Pallete Army is out in full force. I wish more of the GBA games had browns on their units. I don't know why, but those shades really pop for me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

After the end of the game and the Lilina/Gonzalez support, I imagine Lilina trying to bring back Gonzo as her husband and the rest of the remaining nobility going wtf

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^

(By sorakaza)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

I still don't know why there isn't already a romhack to just make her the main character of Sacred Stones.

It seems like itd be real miserable having a lord be staff-locked lol. Tho dozla would obviously replace seth and thatd be fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mandatory lesbian posted:

It seems like itd be real miserable having a lord be staff-locked lol. Tho dozla would obviously replace seth and thatd be fun

Couldn't be worse than Eliwood

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Or Roy. Roy is miserable to use in this game, I swear. His primary best role is a support bot for the cavaliers so that they can do the actual work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
No, i think itd be far more miserable, personally

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I mean, she does get either Anima or Light on promotion, but yeah, I could see how building to promotion could be pretty slow. I guess you could either give her a faster experience rate to get out of staff-land quickly, just start her at a higher level, or just mod her to have Light tomes from the start.

Or, go the full distance and mod in Radiant Dawn staff bonking :v:

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Just let Troubadours have their swords back.

And I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make to have a Thief (or was Rennac already a Rogue?) from the start.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

DeTosh posted:

Just let Troubadours have their swords back.

And I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make to have a Thief (or was Rennac already a Rogue?) from the start.

Rennac was in fact already in Rogue - that said you do get Colm in like Chapter 2, I think it was? It's real early.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A staff-locked hero could be interesting as long as there is a generous rain of status and movement staves. Being encouraged to actually use your Sleep / Berserk to distract and undercut powerful enemy groupings and sending in candygrams (throw in the Fates kidnapping staff for extra fun) could make for a more active protagonist than 'send them in against fighters and brigands'!

(In Project Emblem, Roy promotes with the standard cav/knight promotion item and it is good.)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 29, 2022

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I say we just go full on Sailor Moon and give her a staff that shoots magic moon dust. That then becomes useless upon promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Didn't midnight lasagna already do a staff-locked Lord run in Birthright? It didn't seem too bad aside from being Birthright.