Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I can buy every name on that list as real but the second one. What the heck?

we already had a lester but we wanted more, so mo'lester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

That's a Duggar name. They struggled with J girl names real quick

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

eating only apples posted:

That's a Duggar name. They struggled with J girl names real quick

Mo'lester was right there all along though

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

L Frank "Oz" Baum had a Jinjer.

Edit: no, it was Jinjur.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just discovered that there's a Dr A. Bannan at work, so their contact name on the staff network is doc.bannana

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The college I went to had an email name format of the first eight letters of [last name first name], which worked out great for me because I have an eight letter last name so I just got lastname@college.edu, but not so great for Robert Ward, whose email was wardrobe@college.edu.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I would've loved to have wardrobe as my email; at least it's fun.
My uni used the same system, only it was the first 7 letters. My surname is triple barrelled, so I generally just use the last one. So my name is Firstname XXX YYY ZZZ, but I usually use Firstname ZZZ, but my uni email address was the first 7 letters of XXX which is 8 letters long. So I got a lot of "I couldn't send it to you because I couldn't find your email address," because people have started typing ZZZ and the system failed to autocomplete the address.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Allow me to introduce you to a real doctor:

https://fad.ecommunity.com/provider/Saima+Butt/374742

Who is your primary care physician?

Saima Butt

The exam isn’t until later. Who is your PCP?

Saima Butt

Yes, that will be part of the exam (etc)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

An old co-worker I had completely forgotten about, first name Kewpie. (yeah, like the doll and/or mayo)

Also, Jim Earthman, or as it appeared on the caller ID just now, Earthman Jim.

Marcade has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jun 2, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Marcade posted:

Also, Jim Earthman, or as it appeared on the caller ID just now, Earthman Jim.

He's such a groovy guy.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

There is a courier van that parks by my house with the operator name “Jim Russell”

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Rich Cockshott

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
My son's name is also Kumson

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I ordered pizza and uh

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Candidate for Judge
Randy Fudge

ALL RISE
THE HONORABLE JUDGE FUDGE PRESIDING

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's not anyone specifically, but does anyone know when Carol and Karen stopped being unisex?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I once taught a five year old girl named Zion Shitta.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Samovar posted:

It's not anyone specifically, but does anyone know when Carol and Karen stopped being unisex?

Poked around a bit and Carol took a big plunge in popularity as a boy's name in the US in about 1950, a few years after it took a big spike in popularity as a girl's name. So I'm guessing maybe the reason people stopped using it for boys was because it became more perceived as a common girl's name. There's no good data about why though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have a female coworker named Powers. Okay then.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Ralph Hurley posted:

Candidate for Judge
Randy Fudge

ALL RISE
THE HONORABLE JUDGE FUDGE PRESIDING

Probably shouldn't vote for him, because he'll be far too busy being delicious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiEoPkGjbXU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp480CfYpIk

(Fun fact: Before she became HUD Secretary last year, Marcia L. Fudge was my congresswoman for over a decade. A look at Wikipedia suggests she has occasionally served as a judge.)

Samovar posted:

Was Karen ever unisex? I understand it to be a Danish variant of Katherine, and I also can't think of any male Karens.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Harvey TWH posted:

Probably shouldn't vote for him, because he'll be far too busy being delicious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiEoPkGjbXU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp480CfYpIk

(Fun fact: Before she became HUD Secretary last year, Marcia L. Fudge was my congresswoman for over a decade. A look at Wikipedia suggests she has occasionally served as a judge.)

Was Karen ever unisex? I understand it to be a Danish variant of Katherine, and I also can't think of any male Karens.

Karen Abdul Jabbar springs to mind.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samovar posted:

Carol (well, Karol) is still a male name in Eastern Europe but Karen has never been unisex to the best of my knowledge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as far as i can tell, Karen is a masculine name exclusively in Western Armenia

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

HopperUK posted:

Poked around a bit and Carol took a big plunge in popularity as a boy's name in the US in about 1950, a few years after it took a big spike in popularity as a girl's name. So I'm guessing maybe the reason people stopped using it for boys was because it became more perceived as a common girl's name. There's no good data about why though.

You probably don't need data. Society in general still stigmatizes femininity, so once a name crosses over to be predominantly a girl's name, it's hardly ever used for boys again. (Dana, Lindsay, Leslie... the list goes on. I also love that in Gone with the Wind, Ashley Wilkes is played by Leslie Howard. Male character (1860s), male actor (1939), credits seem to check out at first...) In many years I've still never noticed a name that went the other way. The same is true of rich/upper-class names that are given aspiringly to children in poor/lower-class/minority families and then stay there (I learned this from Freakonomics, I think, and there may be some studies cited there).

Carroll is the classic male spelling (as in Carroll O'Connor of All in the Family), by the way, and most male versions seem to be spelled something besides C-A-R-O-L. Carol, as a girl's name, seems to come from Caroline, but both that and Carroll come from Charles.

A clue last week on Jeopardy told me more about a sailor whose name had amused me and stuck when I visited Pearl Harbor: Doris Miller (his mother expected him to be a girl, apparently). But the clue referred to "Dorie", and I was confused. Seems this is a nickname, but whether it was used to avoid the girly name Doris or was a typo that stuck is unclear. Still, schools and things named for him are split between Doris and Dorie. (That's what I learned from Wikipedia, anyway.)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah, he changed it from Louise Alcindor. :rolleyes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Carol (well, Karol) is still a male name in Eastern Europe but Karen has never been unisex to the best of my knowledge.

Hmm. Could have sworn I remembered reading about a general Karen, or maybe Charon? Back in WW2. But now I can't find it, so maybe I was just having a brain collapse.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Harvey TWH posted:

Carroll is the classic male spelling (as in Carroll O'Connor of All in the Family), by the way, and most male versions seem to be spelled something besides C-A-R-O-L. Carol, as a girl's name, seems to come from Caroline, but both that and Carroll come from Charles.

Charles, in turn, is the frenchified version of a Germanic word you can still recognize in German and Dutch as 'Kerl/kerel': a man. So Caroline is the manly lady (so is Andrea, by the way, but that comes from Greek).

IIRC in Eastern Europe the derived name 'Karol' took on a meaning of 'king', after Charlemagne. Kind of like 'ceasar' became the stand-in word for 'emperor' but ultimately derives from one dude.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Abdul-Jabbar

Or did I just miss a good joke?

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

"Yawn" is one of the surnames in my extended family. Also one of the women on that side had the maiden name of "Feral".

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Harvey TWH posted:

Ha! Thanks for posting this. I knew the name Judge Fudge was something I had seen before but I didn’t bother to look it up.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Jogging through my local cemetery, I saw a Mungo McAllister. I don't know what he did for a living, but I like to think he wrestled Haystacks Calhoun at some point.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Cletus Biggerstaff, born 1924. Also, presumably his wife, Anita Biggerstaff (I wish I was making that up)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HawkHill posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Abdul-Jabbar

Or did I just miss a good joke?

Not a good one, no.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Jock Zonfrillo is one of the best "Why yes, me mam is from X and me dad is from Y" names I've ever heard.

e: Turns out Jock isn't his birth name, drat it.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jun 20, 2022

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Guy on TV named Scunis :stonk:

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

walked past a real estate sign and the realtor's last name was Bippus
husband helped a dude at work named Larry Dingus
I went to highschool with an Abraham Lincoln, and he was not named after the president, he just has very religious parents (his brother's name was Jebediah)
my dad's shooting coach was named Dick Curry
got inlaws who named their baby boy Madden. After the video game, not the guy.

speaking of my inlaws all the women are named some variation of Jana and I cannot tell them apart and I never will. Jana, Janae, Jenna, I think there's a few more. Why would you do this

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Saw a Lynxtyn today. I'm not even sure how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SkyeAuroline posted:

Saw a Lynxtyn today. I'm not even sure how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Linkston?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Langston is my guess, if you run through something like a reverse-Southern/ Midwestern filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skratte posted:

got inlaws who named their baby boy Madden. After the video game, not the guy.

Gonna name my kids NHLPA 95 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf.