Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My favorite thing so far is that I had 40 hours in the game, figured HEY I'M GOOD AT THIS GAME LET'S GO FAST, and literally died in training as I bashed something into my head. Died another two times, then a third I had my helmet completely crack (as I was grappling to the Master Jack I based one of the tank busters) and bought the repair item just in time.

I've also yet to figure out depressurization safely on anything. A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

boop the snoot posted:

if you hold down the up or down button used to cycle through slots rather than just pressing it, it will automatically go back to what you have in slot 1. that's how I have managed it with my main spells and flasks.

When the iframes count this is how I've been doing business. And cracked pot consumables. So many thrown pots. Godskin disciple? Put that fucker to sleep then stabbity stab.

facialimpediment posted:

My favorite thing so far is that I had 40 hours in the game, figured HEY I'M GOOD AT THIS GAME LET'S GO FAST, and literally died in training as I bashed something into my head. Died another two times, then a third I had my helmet completely crack (as I was grappling to the Master Jack I based one of the tank busters) and bought the repair item just in time.

That's Dark Souls uhh I mean Elden Ring .poo poo I meant Shipbreaker.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 27, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

McNally posted:

Maybe I'm living a charmed life (lol) but I just don't have an issue with Atlas thrusters the way you guys are describing them. I threw together a quick video showing what I'm doing, maybe it'll help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-6tZzrRIEY

This is pretty easy for me to pull off but I'm having trouble with the fairing halves getting stuck on the side of the processing chamber instead of sliding in

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is pretty easy for me to pull off but I'm having trouble with the fairing halves getting stuck on the side of the processing chamber instead of sliding in

Make sure you place your tethers towards the end, you can use a tether from a Jack to the “back” end to make sure it’s lined up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What is a waste disposal unit? I'm at a stopping point with scavenged parts for that personal ship, and it's a "distributor", which is a new part that comes from waste disposal units

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You’ll find distributors floating around.

Waste disposal units used to be in the crawl space of station hopper geckos, near the airlocks. Haven’t seen one in 1.0 yet though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Am I right in assuming that on some ships, you have literally no choice but to explosively decompress? I've hit a few hulls now that have had either a) busted air handlers or b) full pressurized secondary compartments with no clear way to access. Am I supposed to just clean up the interior as best as I can and pop the can open? Any tips on not taking randomly exploding poo poo to the dome?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Level 8 (I think) and 9 have no way to vent besides popping atmosphere.

I've found the best way usually is to go inside, make sure all the doors are open (if it's an AI-infested ship, cut the doors or it WILL slam them shut to gently caress you), then go outside, and either vent from the thruster cap (every rare now and then I get a reactor pop that way tho) or shooting the two blocks holding the little side cockpits on Javelins and let it vent there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah, eventually it does become impossible to depressurize any other way. I try to pop the cork while it has as much weight as possible so there's a lower chance of something achieving relativistic velocities, and if possible from the outside. Usually try to just melt an airlock door or two from the outside. Stuff rattles around inside but not much of it domes me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I usually go through the inside to grab everything I can and open all the door, then pop off the biggest piece I can. The end caps on Javes are good.

You want the decompression to end as soon as possible.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've had mixed results with the way the game calculates the damage a penetration would create. In reality you'd want to make a small hole and let it vent out over the course of hours, where the hole isn't big enough for explosive decompression. But this is a game so that is right out. But they kind of model it this way with the non-airlock doors, which I find are generally the least likely to explode when you open them.

The other way that would normally work is to just core the ship with demo charges from above (or the side if you want to risk tossing it into a furnace). That would let all the air out quickly through big holes, preventing explosive decompression. But the game seems pretty RNG on whether a big hole is going to vent the volume fast enough that it doesn't go into the explosion phase.

But blowing it up is generally fun so that works?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I usually go in through the airlock first, and depressurize that compartment if I can. Then move onto the successive compartments trying to get them all in a state of no pressure, but eventually you're usually left with a little pocket (sometimes a large pocket) in which case I just grab onto the wall and ride the whirlwind, baby.

If you've depressurized most of it it's normally just packets of chips and soda bottles flying around, occasionally something bigger.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I've really yet to figure out venting, so for a lol I took a level 8 mackerel and decided to vent it by putting a demo charge underneath the bottom. My brain said that if there was explosive decompression, it would all blow out the bottom and into the barge.

... the ENTIRE ship physically moved into the barge. The whole loving thing, at once, in one unexploded heap, barged itself. Sadly none of it counted unless I went physically into the solid-red fps-killing ship and pulled things out one by one. I decided to cover the thing in charges to get what I could, detonated, and that was that :v:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Also, those of you saying to pull the javelin apart from either front or back to get to the giant fuel tank in the middle were spot on.

So imagine after having spent all the effort that finding out it was only worth 80k and change I think I might launch it into the sun next time.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

But blowing it up is generally fun so that works?

:buddy:

e: now with working gif I think

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 29, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I slammed myself into the Hab door hard enough to crack my helmet on the tutorial. :lol:

It's been a while since I've played this, I like the new menu/interior stuff.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

:buddy:

e: now with working gif I think

One thing i REALLY appreciate is the radio interference you get from different items.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

One thing i REALLY appreciate is the radio interference you get from different items.

Yeah that cellphone-is-about-to-ring sound you used to hear from your car stereo or TV speaker is a great little addition

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Warhammer 40k boomer shooter lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Y-M83nBrk

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1532100583590711296

This is the fifth or sixth time someone leaked classified military info because of salt in WarThunder, and it's still funny every time.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4PGa1sHFQ

PS state of play going on right now. There's a game called Stray where you play a cat and knock stuff off ledges. 11/10 GOTY, drops in July.

edit: Got a look at Street Fighter 6 with a free roam mode in Metro City? And a new trailer for FF16, says Summer 2023 now. Almost looks like an Esper fighting game in some spots.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 2, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004058&pagenumber=1#lastpost

the goon fight game thread has been asking for a stick thread for a long time so i decided to start the OP and work on it in case anyone wanted to roll their own cool guy stick like me

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Anyone in here have experience with "Going Medieval"? Supposed to be a decent fusion between Rimworld and Banished-type games, and while still early access, it's been out for a couple years.

Just wondering whether it's one of those forever early access games that aren't quite done enough to keep you from running into a frustrating endgame ceiling, or if it's fun and done enough for a couple of recurring playthroughs on new content drops like... satisfactory or something.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Has anyone tried that new wh40k X-Com game?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anyone in here have experience with "Going Medieval"? Supposed to be a decent fusion between Rimworld and Banished-type games, and while still early access, it's been out for a couple years.

Just wondering whether it's one of those forever early access games that aren't quite done enough to keep you from running into a frustrating endgame ceiling, or if it's fun and done enough for a couple of recurring playthroughs on new content drops like... satisfactory or something.

Its a lot like Hydroneer in that it does something slightly different then the rest of its genre but the core gameplay isn't polished enough to be as good with staying power like Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld. Like I put 10 hours in and it was fine. Then I tried to turn on sandbox mode to try to build a fancy castle for fun and it was just incredibly tedius controlwise to try to do anything quickly. The generally glacial pace of the normal game masked that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Has anyone tried that new wh40k X-Com game?

Chaos Gate:Daemonhunters?

Yeah. I've never played X-Com, but loved the original Chaos Gate, so it was a bit disappointing. I don't like 4-person squads.

I wouldn't call it bad, though. The worst problem is you're only fighting one faction (Nurgle) for the entire game so the enemies get repetitive. Creative boss fights, though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Ah well sounds like something I might grab on sale sometime. I got a random hankering for so 40k so I guess it's time to play some Dawn of War again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The story is nifty, I'll say that. It scratches a 40k itch. Once you get past the steep learning curve and start figuring out how to order your people's moves for maximum effect, you get pretty deadly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ah well sounds like something I might grab on sale sometime. I got a random hankering for so 40k so I guess it's time to play some Dawn of War again.

Man Dawn of War was so good especially when it hit seven factions with a map. Tons of variety and flavor and the multiplayer was excellent, I wasn’t great at it but could contribute with an ork horde. I didn’t like in the sequel how it was overwhelmingly space mariners fighting tyranids and managing grenade inventory and special attacks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Man Dawn of War was so good especially when it hit seven factions with a map. Tons of variety and flavor and the multiplayer was excellent, I wasn’t great at it but could contribute with an ork horde. I didn’t like in the sequel how it was overwhelmingly space mariners fighting tyranids and managing grenade inventory and special attacks.

Seriously the move to small scale squad combat sapped any enthusiasm I had for the latter Dawns of War.

I want WH40k: Supreme Commander goddamnit. Guardsmen beyond count charging forward under the cover of battery after battery of Basilisk, etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Arrath posted:

Seriously the move to small scale squad combat sapped any enthusiasm I had for the latter Dawns of War.

I want WH40k: Supreme Commander goddamnit. Guardsmen beyond count charging forward under the cover of battery after battery of Basilisk, etc.

For sure, I know the sequel had some redeeming features but I was never playing those games for the story and it was tedious to chip away at bosses with 20k hp. The original had such great personality, I didn’t know anything about the setting so it was fun to piece it together from unit quotes and the planet conquering campaign.

I liked how all the sentient units had unique responses, I probably played the necrons the least as while they were fine mechanically but I think only their leaders had dialogue? Khorne berserkers owned, I liked how they were furious if given any commands that weren’t attack orders

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I liked 2 because the small squads made it feel like a few marines against hordes of xenos, especially later in the campaigns where you can just run a dreadnought and a bunch of terminators and annihilate everything. But it was nowhere near as good as the original.

I've never played 3, sounded like a huge disaster by all accounts.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, I know the sequel had some redeeming features but I was never playing those games for the story and it was tedious to chip away at bosses with 20k hp. The original had such great personality, I didn’t know anything about the setting so it was fun to piece it together from unit quotes and the planet conquering campaign.

I liked how all the sentient units had unique responses, I probably played the necrons the least as while they were fine mechanically but I think only their leaders had dialogue? Khorne berserkers owned, I liked how they were furious if given any commands that weren’t attack orders

It was the kill animations for me. Force Commander vs Bloodthirster, Grey Knights vs Avatars of Khaine, etc. I ended up buying into Grey Knights (4th ed) because I thought they were the coolest idea back then.

The first time I saw a Bloodthirster transform, I thought I had missed a really cool kill animation. I saw the cultist rise up and my librarian was close by, so I thought he was doing something…then the blood fountain erupted and a towering enraged demon walked out of it and started committing murders left and right :laffo:

e: the voice of the Avatar of Khaine was really well done, too. Extra supply and all your soldiers are suddenly unbreakable because they don’t want to look like cowards when standing before a literal god of war and death? Yes please 🤤

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

M_Gargantua posted:

Its a lot like Hydroneer in that it does something slightly different then the rest of its genre but the core gameplay isn't polished enough to be as good with staying power like Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld. Like I put 10 hours in and it was fine. Then I tried to turn on sandbox mode to try to build a fancy castle for fun and it was just incredibly tedius controlwise to try to do anything quickly. The generally glacial pace of the normal game masked that.

This isn’t a direct response, but more of just piggybacking off of the topic.

What is the genre called for games like RimWorld or DF or Prison Architect etc? Because I’ve been really jonesing for one, but am getting kind of bored with only having RimWorld and PA and was hoping for something new to scratch that itch with.

I tried DF back in like 2010 and bounced off the ascii interface pretty hard. I might try it again but I was kind of hoping that Steam GUI version would come out soon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was the kill animations for me. Force Commander vs Bloodthirster, Grey Knights vs Avatars of Khaine, etc. I ended up buying into Grey Knights (4th ed) because I thought they were the coolest idea back then.

The first time I saw a Bloodthirster transform, I thought I had missed a really cool kill animation. I saw the cultist rise up and my librarian was close by, so I thought he was doing something…then the blood fountain erupted and a towering enraged demon walked out of it and started committing murders left and right :laffo:

e: the voice of the Avatar of Khaine was really well done, too. Extra supply and all your soldiers are suddenly unbreakable because they don’t want to look like cowards when standing before a literal god of war and death? Yes please 🤤

Oh yeah those animations owned. I liked how you could repaint your units and that would show up in the campaign with zero accounting for taste. Blood angels yelling about how they must preserve their gene-seed from orbital bombardment as they show off their bright spring colors with a fun easter theme.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

This isn’t a direct response, but more of just piggybacking off of the topic.

What is the genre called for games like RimWorld or DF or Prison Architect etc? Because I’ve been really jonesing for one, but am getting kind of bored with only having RimWorld and PA and was hoping for something new to scratch that itch with.

I tried DF back in like 2010 and bounced off the ascii interface pretty hard. I might try it again but I was kind of hoping that Steam GUI version would come out soon.

I've heard them called Colony Simulators before.

Castle Story may be worth a look, it's pretty lite on the colony side and more about gathering resources to build a castle to defend against waves of attacks but it's a fun little diversion. It even has multiplayer/co-op.

E: Coming back to this since I'm not at work and typing on a phone now:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh hell yes. The detail, variety, and sheer brutality in the melee kill animations was what sold me on the game, immediately.

15 y.o. me the first time I saw a Dreadnaught pick up an Ork and pulp it in its power fist was all: :coffeepal: MORE PLEASE

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 14, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I just saw that there's a Starship Troopers RTS coming out in like 3 days :stare:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

I've been wanting a game like this since I was kid, goddamn I hope it's not garbage

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just saw that there's a Starship Troopers RTS coming out in like 3 days :stare:

I've been wanting a game like this since I was kid, goddamn I hope it's not garbage

:dong:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Please be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Please be good