Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That sounds dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Just looks crap and is less cool is all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a quality watch order for Lupin the 3rd? I know nothing about it but Lupin and Jigen, can't even remember the samurai's name consistently.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you should watch part 1

but otherwise no, there is no order. the only guidelines i would give are the most recent series are bad, and don't expect The Woman Called Fujiko Mine to be terribly representative of the other series/movies.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you want to start small with a movie then watch Secret of Mamo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pretty much every series, movie, and special are standalone, so you can really just start with whichever one looks best to you.

Part 1 is Lupin as a dashing heroic rogue and features the directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki on several episodes
Part 2, the longest one, is classic episodic capers with a new heist every episode
Part 3 is pretty cartoonish and comedic, even moreso than 2
Parts 4, 5, and 6 are all relatively similar and focus more on a more realistic/modern setting and serialized plots woven into the episodic stories
The Woman Named Fujiko Mine is dark, gritty, and sexy

There are like a million movies and TV specials and about 80% of them aren't worthwhile in the least

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
exception: the castle of cagliostro is classic kino

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dogsicle posted:

you should watch part 1

but otherwise no, there is no order. the only guidelines i would give are the most recent series are bad, and don't expect The Woman Called Fujiko Mine to be terribly representative of the other series/movies.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty much every series, movie, and special are standalone, so you can really just start with whichever one looks best to you.

Part 1 is Lupin as a dashing heroic rogue and features the directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki on several episodes
Part 2, the longest one, is classic episodic capers with a new heist every episode
Part 3 is pretty cartoonish and comedic, even moreso than 2
Parts 4, 5, and 6 are all relatively similar and focus more on a more realistic/modern setting and serialized plots woven into the episodic stories
The Woman Named Fujiko Mine is dark, gritty, and sexy

There are like a million movies and TV specials and about 80% of them aren't worthwhile in the least

Okay thanks! I was mostly just trying to go on a steady increase in quality.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Part 2 has a dub from the 2000s which means it's like the most buckwild poo poo ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgZWHR58SJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEn_1ufi3ec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1meE9NBTIk

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This is what I think of first when I think of Lupin. Loved this stuff as a kid

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It's so good, lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zenigata voice GEORGE LAZENBY?!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

poopin the turd

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Didn’t Crayon Shin-Chan make that joke already?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1531009450655424512?t=v_TV99ZhmpsTbsIZ6iV8aw&s=19

Let Kamiyama continue The Ninth Jedi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as I’m aware his dream of turning it into a full series has yet to come to fruition but at the very least maybe it can get a followup short during the second batch.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

isn't he busy with the lord of the rings anime

i do hope making a star wars or lord of the rings doesnt become the only way for good anime directors to get their own production

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

isn't he busy with the lord of the rings anime

i do hope making a star wars or lord of the rings doesnt become the only way for good anime directors to get their own production

Lord of the Rings anime? What’s the story with this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Lord of the Rings anime? What’s the story with this?

War of the Rohirrim. 3D CGI anime movie about Helm Hammerhand's battles against Dunland.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The studios involved with this volume are from the United States, Chile, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain, South Africa, India, South Korea, and Japan, so it's more international.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

so it'll be 10% anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Depends on how you feel about Korean and French stuff

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I hope that they get more creative this time. I liked three or four of the ones from volume 1 but some of them were just lazy "star wars but Japan is also here" one shots that didn't try to do anything beyond the most obvious.

The Duel, Ninth Jedi, and Village Bride were good watches that I'd like to see more of, and T0-B1 was adorable. I'm not sure I'd want to see more of The Twins, since I don't think there's enough cocaine in the world to sustain Trigger for a full run of that madness. Tatooine Rhapsody, The Elder, Lop and Ocho, and Akakiri all ranged from mediocre to outright bad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'll watch Korean stuff, they have a lot of practice doing anime style from years of doing in between frames. Although some Korean studios have problems finding their own voice because of that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm interested in the French and Irish productions. If Sylvain Chomet got to make a Star Wars that might just be the greatest thing ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's basically no chance the Irish one isn't Cartoon Saloon

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Waffleman_ posted:

There's basically no chance the Irish one isn't Cartoon Saloon

That would be amazing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
watching Rust Eater Bisco

first episode moved well enough i suppose for an anime ive never heard of

NOT THE HIPPOS WHAT THE gently caress

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 30, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

verbal enema posted:

NOT THE HIPPOS WHAT THE gently caress

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Zenigata voice GEORGE LAZENBY?!

Not that I've ever heard of?

While on the topic of non-American VAs and Lum in this thread: I only just found out there was a parody dub made (by the BBC of all places) of episode 1 & 3, and it's as wild as anything.

full Playlist here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumdIkmSNog

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
I like the Lum

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jomo posted:

While on the topic of non-American VAs and Lum in this thread: I only just found out there was a parody dub made (by the BBC of all places) of episode 1 & 3, and it's as wild as anything.

full Playlist here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumdIkmSNog
it's almost impossible to find traces of it online now (fuckin Veoh, lol), but back in the early days of western anime releases there was a genuine non-parody attempt at a UK dub commercial release of Catgirl Nuku-Nuku, which is, uh, it's something alright

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v158470576ZxpyJjh

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Cool cool

https://twitter.com/_UW7S/status/1531626411605127169?s=20&t=4q03v0PDaqcqOQBmvSAIig

marumaru
May 20, 2013

jfc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I recognize that firm's name and, well, they're scum who have worked for some incredibly vile people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not like union busters are nice people in general. They stand in the way of progress by preventing collective action. What's next, are employers going to start making employees sign binding arbitration forms in violation of Union statutes?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i in equal parts don't want to read (even more) about american sociopolitical collapse and want to know how "union busting" works. do they get union members' MALs and threaten to post them in the work slack or something

anyway, anime

https://twitter.com/Namaryuu/status/1529164552453120006

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no, it's just like the normal intimidation and threats that hired goons do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Well that sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is the English dub of SAC_2045 out at release this time instead of being delayed a couple months like the first season? I'm glad people are beginning to see that it's a good show that's more than its first couple of episodes in the USA.