Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It probably doesn't help that the way economics has been taught in the Western world for the last 100 years is basically phrenology that leaves one unqualified for any job that doesn't involve cheerleading for the rich and telling everyone how important it is to give them all the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It probably doesn't help that the way economics has been taught in the Western world for the last 100 years is basically phrenology that leaves one unqualified for any job that doesn't involve cheerleading for the rich and telling everyone how important it is to give them all the money.

Hey, I have a degree in economics, and a well-paid job that doesn't have anything to do with economics.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i have a degree in economics and have a fantastic job that pays poo poo and has nothing to do with economics

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
One thing to keep in mind is that the American education system is federated down to the local level, so a kid's experience in, say, Fairfax County, VA will be very different than someone from Gary, IN. There are some basic testing requirements that are tied to funding from the federal level, but in terms of everything from tools funding to class offerings, you'll get something different everywhere you go.

Speaking as someone with experience working in the school system in Virginia, most schools require a civics/economics class in 8th grade for at least a semester. The middle school I worked at held a financial literacy day every year where kids would get a budget based on what job they were interested in (taken from average earnings in the area for that profession) and family size they thought they wanted in the future. They then got to spend it on whatever they wanted (housing, entertainment, food, etc). It wasn't graded, just an experience for them to get a picture of adult life.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ELTON JOHN posted:

i have a degree in economics and have a fantastic job that pays poo poo and has nothing to do with economics

Most of the people in control of capital in the UK have classics degrees (and these days ppe is modern classics), but they went to the right school. Their staff are, at least, usually financially competent and many a financial catastrophe has been avoided by dangling a brightly coloured bit of string before their masters eyes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kill All Cops posted:

You left out the part of the quote where one of the guys calls it a shitcoin

https://twitter.com/troptions2017

Everything about the branding of it seems reminiscent of Trump

I mean, just going by the username, if this thing launched in 2017, that was peak Trump hype. And "Tr"options. It may be intentional.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

Most of the people in control of capital in the UK have classics degrees (and these days ppe is modern classics), but they went to the right school. Their staff are, at least, usually financially competent and many a financial catastrophe has been avoided by dangling a brightly coloured bit of string before their masters eyes.

A good staff will run the estate while keeping the masters distracted with frivolous bets. Like a race around the world in 80 days, or a contest to see if a commoner can be passed off as royalty.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Viz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYA3oTG8fg

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

istewart posted:

I don't remember economics even being part of the IB program I was in, 20 years ago. If we wanted it, I think we had to take it from the AP curriculum. For kids on the regular track, I do believe it was rolled into a general civics and government course.

Similar situation with statistics. The kids who took statistics generally weren't on the honors/direct-to-university track, and the kids who were took calculus. Bare-minimum coverage of statistics was shoehorned into the science classes. A good knowledge of statistics would probably help a lot of the people getting suckered right now much more than derivatives and integrals.

My HS (late 2000s) had econ and stats as their own classes. I remember econ or some equivalent was required to graduate and I took it over the summer at the local community college to get ahead. The actual econ teacher was the basketball coach and from all I heard his class sucked. I think most people on the direct to uni path did calc instead of stats. I didnt take either as we just had 3 years/classes of any math as a req, so I failed algebra in 8th grade and got to take it over the summer, getting me algebra and geometry as a freshman and algebra 2/trig as a sophomore. Failing math in 8th grade actually put me ahead due to the way they counted classes.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Heath posted:

I mean, just going by the username, if this thing launched in 2017, that was peak Trump hype. And "Tr"options. It may be intentional.

drat we just missed their event, which was fittingly held at a vape shop in Atlanta

https://twitter.com/troptions2017/status/1507447354496061464

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Olanphonia posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the American education system is federated down to the local level, so a kid's experience in, say, Fairfax County, VA will be very different than someone from Gary, IN. There are some basic testing requirements that are tied to funding from the federal level, but in terms of everything from tools funding to class offerings, you'll get something different everywhere you go.

Yep. The k-12 thread over in Science/Academics/Language is a constant exercise of...

Person A: Man, anyone tired of dealing with X every week? Yeesh.

Person B: What?? I've never dealt with that in my life, if they made us do that I'd quit on the spot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whatever happened to that goon who had financial problems and kept investing in crypto even though everyone told them not to, explaining it as if talking to a toddler

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drk posted:

drat we just missed their event, which was fittingly held at a vape shop in Atlanta

They really cannot stop saying the word "pull" in relation to crypto...it's like the greatest fraud-ian slip.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Whatever happened to that goon who had financial problems and kept investing in crypto even though everyone told them not to, explaining it as if talking to a toddler

zaurg. i think he's only allowed to post in one specific thread in BFC

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

drk posted:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i wonder if you can exchange troptions for dank vape juice

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pull Up

and

Cut a Rug

- this is my totally not a rugpull event in promotion of my latest crypto scam (but it could be if you're into that and willing to invest *wink*)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

zaurg. i think he's only allowed to post in one specific thread in BFC

The lack of sympathy this shows is just awful. Zaurg can't help being a huge insane dumbass, blah blah blah society :jerkbag:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Its a weird rabbit hole, they also have some very odd blog posts including deep insights like this

:thunk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

crypto and vape shops, together at.. last?

No I'm sure they were linked the whole time. Seems like a big crossover appeal.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

priznat posted:

If you ever saw a Bitcoin ATM in real life, it was at a vape shop

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Serap will probably lose his condo and bitcoin hookers.. but he can reinvest the Capital losses from his taxes into more bitcoin!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

priznat posted:

I spent a while around a vape shop almost a decade ago, and the owner was quite literally a career criminal, in and out of jail for drug distribution crimes. He loved to sell poo poo, he loved to gamble, I could absolutely see him being involved in crypto. He was also a sneaker head + social media type person so the whole BAPE NFT aesthetic would suit him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

I spent a while around a vape shop almost a decade ago, and the owner was quite literally a career criminal, in and out of jail for drug distribution crimes. He loved to sell poo poo, he loved to gamble, I could absolutely see him being involved in crypto. He was also a sneaker head + social media type person so the whole BAPE NFT aesthetic would suit him.

Yeah I can absolutely see vape dudes into crypto.

I imagine there are vape pen NFT things but I don't care to look that up :haw:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, Im going to create a electronic cigarette that uses a blockchain for.. something and get rich

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

vape pens that mine some worthless coins (which smell like cotton candy)

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

it's morbing time

e; gently caress wrong thread

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

has anyone done morbcoin yet

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is reminding me of that one Shenzen I/O level where you had to design a vape pen: after you complete the design the person you were making them for gets arrested and the company eats the cost.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Agents are GO! posted:

This is reminding me of that one Shenzen I/O level where you had to design a vape pen: after you complete the design the person you were making them for gets arrested and the company eats the cost.

Is that an on cinema reference?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

priznat posted:

vape pens that mine some worthless coins (which smell like cotton candy)

New ide: vape pen that mines worthless coins that are company scrip and can only be used to buy more vapes, juice, swag, etc from the company who makes them. You also have a chance to mine rare scrip thats roughly the equivalent of scratchers. The more you vape, the more you mine, the more chances are of unlocking better rewards or getting more vapecoin. Could also have incentives like coin mining multipliers for using certain types of vape juice (obviously these will be higher potency nicotine).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Is that an on cinema reference?

I have no idea what you mean.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It will also be tied into some intrusive phone app that mines your data and also mints vape coins on your phone in a parallel system. And if you refer friends to vapecoin you get bonuses for your vapecoin mining.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Top tier of vapecoin rewards will be exclusive vapecoin nfts for your twitter handle

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Kill All Cops posted:

You left out the part of the quote where one of the guys calls it a shitcoin

Or this part:

quote:

"No, it’s not a poopy coin, man,” Cherwenka told Gray.

"No, it’s not a poopy coin" could be a thread title

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ikanreed posted:

If you ever saw a Bitcoin ATM in real life, it was at a vape shop

Nope, liquor store

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1531006742691201024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

New ide: vape pen that mines worthless coins that are company scrip and can only be used to buy more vapes, juice, swag, etc from the company who makes them. You also have a chance to mine rare scrip thats roughly the equivalent of scratchers. The more you vape, the more you mine, the more chances are of unlocking better rewards or getting more vapecoin. Could also have incentives like coin mining multipliers for using certain types of vape juice (obviously these will be higher potency nicotine).

Did Juul die already because I guarantee they'd be into this. It seems exactly what they'd need to hook morons and tweens

Molly rules

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhSCxaDHcq8&t=208s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Golden Bee posted:

Nope, liquor store

Theres one down the street from me at the corner store..which sells basic groceries, liquor, and vapes/tobacco products. Ive never seen anyone use it