Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

I probably should have. I think it's just a thought. If it goes any further I'll tell him he'll need to hire a vitner.

But you said you could do it, why would they need someone else???

Never trust that it's just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sanctum posted:

I'm so burnt out with overtime expectations. I'll work overtime when I feel like it. I know how it went in my last job: poo poo goes south and I'm the first person operations calls. You stay to help out and suddenly it's your problem too. I need to brush up on lying convincingly before I bomb another interview. Does every company expect employee loyalty because I'm fresh out of that. No loyalty. None. Never happening.

"If there was [significant emergency] would you be willing to stay as late as necessary to stabilize the situation and prevent a disaster?"

"Uh sure... :bang: if there's a safety concern :bang: that's what I've always done in the past" (and not anymore, gently caress that.)

Too honest. I shoulda just said "Yes, always."

'Yes, always'. Then later 'This is not a significant emergency, I define significant emergency as an imminent and unpreventable threat to personal safety, you can just turn this off and deal with it tomorrow. Goodnight'

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Near the end of the meeting my boss asked me if I could make wine. My answer was something along the lines of "I mean... technically I probably could."
You and all of us know what you meant.

They heard that you're an expert wine maker.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Worst case scenario, they go ahead with it. They still have to find property, built a facility, apply for, and obtain a license. This place took about three years to get this brewery ready to go. So even if this goes ahead I have plenty of lead time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Let them let you make wine and then learn what you can from it. If it fails gently caress em, they’re the stupid ones for letting you try.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Let them let you make wine and then learn what you can from it. If it fails gently caress em, they’re the stupid ones for letting you try.

I don't mean to WINE! :dadjoke:

It's dumb if they do it but I'll probably be gone before they even break ground on a facility if they even go through with it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

lesserworm posted:

I just had a guy do this to me. 50 percent of the job he pitched is exactly what I do: Technical writing and copywriting. The other 50 percent would be spent "being an engineer." I have only ever been a writer or editor. Where did this guy get the idea that I could suddenly be an engineer?

Technical Writing Engineers don't exist for a reason. If you can code/engineer poo poo, why would you want to be paid less to write about it?

Last time I was job searching, half the posts expected this role combo and were only offering ~$70k.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Invalid Validation posted:

It's this. You can't protect them from themselves forever.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm just trying to protect myself from tons of overtime and added responsibilities with no raise. poo poo, I'm not sure I'd even want more responsibilities with a raise (I'm sure it wouldn't be much). I gave him my friend's info who sells wine making equipment and told him he'd be better off hiring someone if he went ahead with it. He said they would if it went forward. Again, even if it does it's gonna take a few years.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Worst case scenario, they go ahead with it. They still have to find property, built a facility, apply for, and obtain a license. This place took about three years to get this brewery ready to go. So even if this goes ahead I have plenty of lead time.

Wineries are expensive yo even when bought on the cheap. Industrially there's a bunch of overlap with beer equipment but from scratch?

what I'm getting at is: dont worry

also how in the world does it take three years to find a tiled room to put a bucket in?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

champagne posting posted:

Wineries are expensive yo even when bought on the cheap. Industrially there's a bunch of overlap with beer equipment but from scratch?

also how in the world does it take three years to find a tiled room to put a bucket in?

I'm imagining Sound in a dusty warehouse filled with bath tubs and Coleman stoves.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The tax offices in certain areas, Osaka being one, are very strict about alcohol fermentation licenses. I think they're more strict about beer/happoshu because of pressure from the big four. Not sure about wine, but I doubt they are easy going about it. As for why it took three years was probably a combination of my company's lack of focus on getting the license, them making some mistakes with the paperwork, and COVID. Japanese government involves a lot of paperwork and literal stamping of documents, so COVID shutdowns ground that to a halt. Even with things going smoothly, this company takes forever to pull the trigger on any major purchases.

And yeah, I'm sure equipment costs are basically in line with brewery supplies. So expensive. This company has a lot of money we'll see!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The tax offices in certain areas, Osaka being one, are very strict about alcohol fermentation licenses. I think they're more strict about beer/happoshu because of pressure from the big four. Not sure about wine, but I doubt they are easy going about it. As for why it took three years was probably a combination of my company's lack of focus on getting the license, them making some mistakes with the paperwork, and COVID. Japanese government involves a lot of paperwork and literal stamping of documents, so COVID shutdowns ground that to a halt. Even with things going smoothly, this company takes forever to pull the trigger on any major purchases.

And yeah, I'm sure equipment costs are basically in line with brewery supplies. So expensive. This company has a lot of money we'll see!

oh my

Beer equipment is expensive, wine equipment is on a whole other level ridiculous. An oak keg is not cheap, but more than that you have to have space to keep it for years on end. If that's one thing I learned from my few years in food science before becoming a computer toucher it's that production is measured in cents, storage in euroes (or in your case yen and more yen?).

Another fun thing I learned on my food travels is that you can buy used equipment and you never, ever should. I had an employer once who bought a package machine for semi-liquid / semi-solid dairy products. God a good price on it. Just one problem: It was from the 80s and needed to be retrofitted for a modern filter and computer equipment, then babysat by a person when running. But hey, they saved some bucks taps thread title

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tell them to buy a chateau.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dumb poo poo My Work Does: despite being at Code Yellow were going ahead with a ho-ho on Thursday. These are free food, beer/wine, music parties in our big meeting space. With the number of exposure advisories we're seeing in recent weeks there are guaranteed to be some people with Covid in the room. gently caress that.

With any luck at all, things might be okay in October for the annual Home Brew Ho-Ho. We're a major biotech and we make billions of dollars worth of medicine at my site alone. The home brew scene is amazing, as you'd expect from that many highly-educated people who make a living producing stuff in vats. We usually have 30 or 40 people giving out tastes of their latest creations, it's great.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

oh my

Beer equipment is expensive, wine equipment is on a whole other level ridiculous. An oak keg is not cheap, but more than that you have to have space to keep it for years on end. If that's one thing I learned from my few years in food science before becoming a computer toucher it's that production is measured in cents, storage in euroes (or in your case yen and more yen?).

Another fun thing I learned on my food travels is that you can buy used equipment and you never, ever should. I had an employer once who bought a package machine for semi-liquid / semi-solid dairy products. God a good price on it. Just one problem: It was from the 80s and needed to be retrofitted for a modern filter and computer equipment, then babysat by a person when running. But hey, they saved some bucks taps thread title

Oh yeah. Oak casks are not cheap to buy or simple to maintain. Then there's climate control for the cellar, etc. I guess bottling is a whole other thing? I'm also sure it's one of those things where there are a ton of things I don't know about so I'm not considering. We'll see where they go with it but I don't expect the company to make a decision that soon.

Edit: Getting licensing for alcohol production is a whole thing here and very complicated, bureaucratic, expensive, and time consuming. Apparently wine is a huge pain in the rear end and involves tracing your materials or something?

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 30, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oh yeah. Oak casks are not cheap to buy or simple to maintain. Then there's climate control for the cellar, etc. I guess bottling is a whole other thing? I'm also sure it's one of those things where there are a ton of things I don't know about so I'm not considering. We'll see where they go with it but I don't expect the company to make a decision that soon.

Edit: Getting licensing for alcohol production is a whole thing here and very complicated, bureaucratic, expensive, and time consuming. Apparently wine is a huge pain in the rear end and involves tracing your materials or something?

all food production is 90% meticulous paperwork and 5% headaches. The remaining percentages are where you actually get stuff done. The way you make money is scale since what you're selling is essentially a commodity

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mllaneza posted:

Dumb poo poo My Work Does: despite being at Code Yellow were going ahead with a ho-ho on Thursday. These are free food, beer/wine, music parties in our big meeting space. With the number of exposure advisories we're seeing in recent weeks there are guaranteed to be some people with Covid in the room. gently caress that.

With any luck at all, things might be okay in October for the annual Home Brew Ho-Ho. We're a major biotech and we make billions of dollars worth of medicine at my site alone. The home brew scene is amazing, as you'd expect from that many highly-educated people who make a living producing stuff in vats. We usually have 30 or 40 people giving out tastes of their latest creations, it's great.

I can gather what it is from the context but I’ve never in my life heard of a get together like that described as a “ho-ho”.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

all food production is 90% meticulous paperwork and 5% headaches. The remaining percentages are where you actually get stuff done. The way you make money is scale since what you're selling is essentially a commodity

Yeah. For sure. Osaka's tax office can be a real pain in the rear end about it. At least we don't have it as bad as my friend in Shiga does. They're constantly on his rear end for all kinds of stuff that's just so overly specific and sometimes contradictory.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah. For sure. Osaka's tax office can be a real pain in the rear end about it. At least we don't have it as bad as my friend in Shiga does. They're constantly on his rear end for all kinds of stuff that's just so overly specific and sometimes contradictory.

In Japan? No way!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I'd like to try a barley wine, but it can be a hard sell. That said, at our size it wouldn't be the biggest gamble. Hell, we could arguably cellar some leftover bottles and kegs for a year if it wasn't too much volume.

But yeah. I don't really know anything about wine except the fermentation and I guess the aging part. Which are kinda the easy parts from what I understand. I guess you could buy juice blends from professionals, but the whole blending thing is a lot. Also the whole making your entire volume for the year once a year.
My local homebrew shop has a small section dedicated to winemaking. You can buy kits like you would for brewing, except instead of malt/hops/yeast, they give you a bag of juice concentrate and yeast. I would imagine you could theoretically repurpose some of the existing brewery equipment like the bottler and fermenters. I asked a shop guy about it once because it sounded interesting and he said it takes a bit longer than a batch of beer for fermentation but not a super long time. The result would be close to a Beaujolais Nouveau, which is a "young" wine that's traditionally bottled and consumed at the end of a year's harvest without long-term aging. Also according to this article Japan is only behind the US in terms of it being popular, so that might actually work. Of course it'd have to be a Gamay nouveau since otherwise a Frenchman will show up to slap you across the mouth with a leather glove.

So you've got a style of wine that is apparently quite popular in Japan, that does not require long-term storage for aging, and may be producible with concentrates that are already being made and with existing equipment. Whether you actually want to pass any of that information along to your bosses is up to you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can make completely fine wine in a stainless vessel in 6 months without oaking or aging and then not be able to sell it because people don't want completely fine wine, they want wine with a label with their favorite varietal from some year in the past.

90% of the wine comes from the fruit and growing season conditions, 10% from the fermentation, and you sell it on 100% bullshit unrelated to any of that.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

zedprime posted:

…and you sell it on 100% bullshit unrelated to any of that.

You’ll find that this vintage of Sancerre has an elegant minerality reminiscent of a walk on narrow cobblestone streets after a light spring rain.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

As a former yeast guy, way more than 10% can come from the fermentation, everyone's just using the yeast equivalent of Velveeta to ferment their alcohol. Cheap, mass produced, generic, trash yeast.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

zedprime posted:

You can make completely fine wine in a stainless vessel in 6 months without oaking or aging and then not be able to sell it because people don't want completely fine wine, they want wine with a label with their favorite varietal from some year in the past.

90% of the wine comes from the fruit and growing season conditions, 10% from the fermentation, and you sell it on 100% bullshit unrelated to any of that.

see also, champagne

that being said I would probably drink a glass of japanese produced wine if for nothing else to sate my curiosity

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

McGavin posted:

As a former yeast guy, way more than 10% can come from the fermentation, everyone's just using the yeast equivalent of Velveeta to ferment their alcohol. Cheap, mass produced, generic, trash yeast.
Semi serious question, what yeast could elevate trash swamp muscadines?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

Semi serious question, what yeast could elevate trash swamp muscadines?

It definitely doesn't exist yet, but if there was someone willing to throw enough money at the problem it could be developed in under a year.

The pinot noir yeast my old company sold gave even the wine store plonk they put it into for test fermentations amazing stone fruit notes. I would love to see what it could do on decent grapes in the hands of a professional vinter.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

zedprime posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLCLo6-SI9E

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Freaquency posted:

I can gather what it is from the context but I’ve never in my life heard of a get together like that described as a “ho-ho”.

They pre-date the acquisition, so we can't blame the Swiss. Which feels weird, especially over a strange name for something.

The strangest term I've heard came from a woman wo introduced herself as coming from "very" rural Bavaria. After her preliminary remarks she said it was time to put the fish on the table, which apparently means the main topic of discussion.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

My local homebrew shop has a small section dedicated to winemaking. You can buy kits like you would for brewing, except instead of malt/hops/yeast, they give you a bag of juice concentrate and yeast. I would imagine you could theoretically repurpose some of the existing brewery equipment like the bottler and fermenters. I asked a shop guy about it once because it sounded interesting and he said it takes a bit longer than a batch of beer for fermentation but not a super long time. The result would be close to a Beaujolais Nouveau, which is a "young" wine that's traditionally bottled and consumed at the end of a year's harvest without long-term aging. Also according to this article Japan is only behind the US in terms of it being popular, so that might actually work. Of course it'd have to be a Gamay nouveau since otherwise a Frenchman will show up to slap you across the mouth with a leather glove.

So you've got a style of wine that is apparently quite popular in Japan, that does not require long-term storage for aging, and may be producible with concentrates that are already being made and with existing equipment. Whether you actually want to pass any of that information along to your bosses is up to you.

I don't really want to tie up even one of my six 500 liter tanks for half a year with a mediocre product along with the licensing nightmare I'm sure that'd be. If I'm putting something in the tank for 6 months I'd be much more interested in trying to make a doppelbock.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't really want to tie up even one of my six 500 liter tanks for half a year with a mediocre product along with the licensing nightmare I'm sure that'd be. If I'm putting something in the tank for 6 months I'd be much more interested in trying to make a doppelbock.

Sorry, but after reading so many of your posts I feel the need to point this out: what you are interested in doing or making is 100% irrelevant to the people you work for. They do not value your input at all, and are treating you like an alcohol producing robot that they feel is slightly malfunctioning because they literally don't understand what their robot needs to do to accomplish what it's being asked.

("Error: replace ph probe"? What is that supposed to mean. It shouldn't be all that important, just keep hitting OK and see if it keeps working.)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

Sorry, but after reading so many of your posts I feel the need to point this out: what you are interested in doing or making is 100% irrelevant to the people you work for. They do not value your input at all, and are treating you like an alcohol producing robot that they feel is slightly malfunctioning because they literally don't understand what their robot needs to do to accomplish what it's being asked.

("Error: replace ph probe"? What is that supposed to mean. It shouldn't be all that important, just keep hitting OK and see if it keeps working.)

Yeah. There's definitely a lot of that. Unfortunately, that's sort of the way it goes in this industry with owners that don't understand the industry/product. We at least sat down and wrote out an actual production schedule yesterday, so that's at least a step forward. In the meantime I'll just try and make improvements. It's a big organization so change is slow but it's at least perceptible and they do listen to at least some of what I say and do not tell me how to actually do any processes or anything. They have let me do some things I wanted. We'll see how well they stick to the production schedule in the coming month. I know this sounds like bare minimum but the last place I worked had an owner that insisted that his beers were ready to package after less than two weeks and before that there was the owner who would force me to throw random ingredients into beers because he insisted it would be a selling point even when it had little to no impact on the finished product (worst one was probably protein powder in a west coast IPA).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wait, I don’t get it. Would there be a legit reason for him to do that, or would it indicate he was trying to take malicious action? Or just that he’s so senior nobody really cares?

So as somebody else correctly speculated, the dev in question has full admin rights because nobody wants to challenge them. The person also has near admin level access to our production software, because they won’t build out a proper deployment process.
Senior dev disabled all of the security software because “he couldn’t develop” with it on. It wasn’t malicious, but if his account got compromised somehow the damage it could do would be severe.

The VP who’s in charge of handling the situation has just memory holed the whole drat thing. Great message to send the devs that there’s no repercussions for doing whatever the gently caress you want in our systems.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is the prefect example of why prima donna devs need to be cut out early and often like the cancer they are, but badly run companies keep on falling into this trap over and over and over again. The longer you let it go the worse the consequences and harder to correct.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

This is the prefect example of why prima donna devs need to be cut out early and often like the cancer they are, but badly run companies keep on falling into this trap over and over and over again. The longer you let it go the worse the consequences and harder to correct.

Oh. Absolutely. These were owners, unfortunately. First guy was born rich so he's still failing upwards. He opened a 2k liter facility with canning like two years ago and just opened his seventh bar (eighth if you count their mobile taproom thing): 3 in Osaka city, one outside of Osaka city in Mino, one in Kyoto, and one in Fukuoka, with the newest being a cider place in Osaka as well. Pretty sure he's scamming money from the government for helping businesses hit by covid along with his usual practice of hiring people with disabilities so he can skim money off the money he gets to pay their wages.

Edit: Woah. Not about me at all! Sorry! Stuck sparge so I'm just posting through it!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 31, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

At least once a week we get a ticket from a dev complaining that they can't install some random, unapproved software, then whoever on my team takes the ticket gets to spend an hour arguing with them that no, you cannot just install whatever you want, especially if it's software that has never been approved and no one knows anything about and you insist on referring to only by its obscure acronym and refuse to elaborate on the purpose of.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

So as somebody else correctly speculated, the dev in question has full admin rights because nobody wants to challenge them. The person also has near admin level access to our production software, because they won’t build out a proper deployment process.
Senior dev disabled all of the security software because “he couldn’t develop” with it on. It wasn’t malicious, but if his account got compromised somehow the damage it could do would be severe.

The VP who’s in charge of handling the situation has just memory holed the whole drat thing. Great message to send the devs that there’s no repercussions for doing whatever the gently caress you want in our systems.

I don't know what his situation was, but I ended up disabling anti-virus for awhile while IT sorted out the whitelists because they specifically enabled it on our local build directories. Believe you me, an antivirus does *not* like a hojillion DLLs and EXEs popping into and out of existence in a nested directory structure.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

...there was the owner who would force me to throw random ingredients into beers because he insisted it would be a selling point even when it had little to no impact on the finished product (worst one was probably protein powder in a west coast IPA).

So again, not a brewer, but for general microbiology I would have to be very confident in the sterility of my environment before I added a big random protein source to any ongoing reaction, because lots of things that aren't your target organism might have been kept in check by a lack of nutrients, then suddenly unleashed by what you added. And that's assuming that whatever you're using can't grab that unknown protein and use it for unexpected pathways to produce Fabulous Prizes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crackbone posted:

Ah understood, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Atopian posted:

So again, not a brewer, but for general microbiology I would have to be very confident in the sterility of my environment before I added a big random protein source to any ongoing reaction, because lots of things that aren't your target organism might have been kept in check by a lack of nutrients, then suddenly unleashed by what you added. And that's assuming that whatever you're using can't grab that unknown protein and use it for unexpected pathways to produce Fabulous Prizes.

Why do you think it’s the former owner? They were given the honour of first taste test.