Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wearing my "#istandwithjhonny" pin at the watercooler convo's today.......... lots of high fives and head nods from teh office ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Metis of the Hallways posted:

it'll make people much more afraid to speak out about being victims of domestic abuse because they could be sued for defamation and dragged through the mud

hey remember how the original owner of this site used to paint all his exes as completely insane and manipulative bitches and the forum collectively ignored it until enough evidence came out that he was an abusive piece of poo poo. weird. no need to reflect on that or anything.

It's pretty crazy how "evidence" changes the way people think about things. It's almost like the events of this trial/scandal have, in a way, unfolded inversely over time compared to Lowtax's bullshit across the years, that's weird!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wearing my "#istandwithjhonny" pin at the watercooler convo's today.......... lots of high fives and head nods from teh office ladies

You had to work on Memorial Day? That sucks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

agrewed, every random world countries holiday should be a paid day off imo (no irony)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

tomorrow is World No-Tobacco Day and i'm not going to work

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If there is a verdict tomorrow, maybe they should make it into a holiday so we can get like, a double next year

Depp Day, or D-day for short. Which is catchy imo

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Nice Guy Patron posted:

So was the poop real?

You're the expert, you tell us

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

If there is a verdict tomorrow, maybe they should make it into a holiday so we can get like, a double next year

Depp Day, or D-day for short. Which is catchy imo

No, there's to much to consider.

Don't expect D-Day till next Monday.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

tomorrow is World No-Tobacco Day and i'm not going to work

See, and I DO have to work tomorrow, lame

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

See, and I DO have to work tomorrow, lame

Actually you can just skip work. One weird trick that employers hate.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

Actually you can just skip work. One weird trick that employers hate.

oh wow. i could have just taken memory day or w/e off then?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

oh wow. i could have just taken memory day or w/e off then?

yeah. looks like you really...

*puts on sunglasses*

... poo poo the bed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Alchemist posted:

I agree, it loving sucks that there are people lying about being abused because it hurts the credibility of the real victims. Hopefuly justice is served in the end

Iirc its something in the like 3% range but the media loves to point to those examples because it's all owned by incredibly lovely people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I worked at a theater when I was a kid and one of our busiest days was Christmas afternoon.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

it'll make people much more afraid to speak out about being victims of domestic abuse because they could be sued for defamation and dragged through the mud

hey remember how the original owner of this site used to paint all his exes as completely insane and manipulative bitches and the forum collectively ignored it until enough evidence came out that he was an abusive piece of poo poo. weird. no need to reflect on that or anything.

It does seem to be a very consistent hole in the otherwise generally progressive discussions here.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I believe Amber and anyone who doesn’t hates women

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah it's kind of nutty how both Lowtax and Amber Heard used the exact same playbook and both got away with their abuse for years.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Johnny Depp got that melted ham aura.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It's actually kinda scary how this was only posted as a rule in one of the biggest subforums 2 years ago,

quote:

BELIEVE WOMEN WHO HAVE SAID THEY ARE BEING ABUSED. BELIEVE ALL WOMEN. BELIEVE LOGAN DAY. I BELIEVE HER

and now we're apparently back to the original, decades-old status quo of EXCEPT THIS ONE CRAZY BITCH

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Which subforum was it?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Pararoid posted:

It's actually kinda scary how this was only posted as a rule in one of the biggest subforums 2 years ago,

and now we're apparently back to the original, decades-old status quo of EXCEPT THIS ONE CRAZY BITCH

Does "believe the evidence available in this specific case" work for you?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone who has actually seen the trial is someone you don’t want to listen to anyhow. What kind of psycho carves out time for that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pararoid posted:

are women just incapable of being abusers in your eyes?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyone who has actually seen the trial is someone you don’t want to listen to anyhow. What kind of psycho carves out time for that.

Not only that, they then go online and post about it

loving mental

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You're all free to remain ignorant. But I like to be informed of the issue at hand. That's why I've researched the case extensively by glancing at a few TikTok tok videos every now and then.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pararoid posted:

Is "Believe Women" meant to mean women can never lie and anything they say becomes the truth? Not really...

It means we should accept claims made by women as credible and treat them seriously (without simply dismissing them for whatever bullshit reason) until credible evidence that suggests otherwise surfaces.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BabyRyoga posted:

Is "Believe Women" meant to mean women can never lie and anything they say becomes the truth? Not really...

It means we should accept claims made by women as credible and treat them seriously (without simply dismissing them for whatever bullshit reason) until credible evidence that suggests otherwise surfaces.

Almost as if believe is a really loving stupid word to use in this context. Then again I guess "treat women's accusations as credible" has less of a ring to it.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

BabyRyoga posted:

Woah now, that's far too sensible a thing to say about this topic. You need to have much hotter takes than that to be taken seriously nowadays.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I really wish that the people hand wringing about the BrOaDeR iMpLiCaTiOnS about not believing Heard, would actually address the reasons why so many people don't believe her. It's just, Believe her or you hate women

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not only that, they then go online and post about it

loving mental

:hmmyes:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

this thread is starting to feel like a reddit larp

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Iirc its something in the like 3% range but the media loves to point to those examples because it's all owned by incredibly lovely people.

Wrongfully accusing somebody of a crime is an extraordinarily evil thing to do, reporting on it serves the interests of the public. The press is doing the right thing in reporting on it.

Their shittiness comes from not giving due prominence to the 97% of cases.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

this thread is starting to feel like a reddit larp

Then leave, I don't know what else to tell you

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP