Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jazerus posted:

dataminer is extremely powerful with rock bottom as you can just roll the dice on higher stats indefinitely without ever losing stats to it. otherwise it's garbage

Also if you have to use it, avoid using it in Hornfel's boss fight unless you want to make the fight completely illegible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Data Miner has one niche use where you can roll your tears so low that they eventually roll over to the absolute max, but it takes forever and it needs an infinite charge setup.

Edmund being so salted over data mining never made sense to me, as far back as flash Issac. Like… your game is always going to be torn open. Literally every single game now and forever will have its guts spilled everywhere day one no exceptions, which means if you want to do crazy hidden game stuff, you absolutely need to do something that is not ‘just place the data in the game’ because it’s gonna be figured out 20 seconds after Steam updates with the release.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Moon Monster posted:

TMTrainer/Challenge 45 reminds of the infinite monkey typewriter thing. Yeah some of the monkeys will produce breathtaking works of art, but for every one of those there's an unfathomable amount of boring gibberish. I kept losing runs to poo poo like Genesis so I decided to just start scum until I found an active item with no charge time that did a bunch of damage to an area about 80% the size of a room as fast as you could mash spacebar.

My favourite one was in a NorthernLion(?) run where he got to the end of the challenge but some item turned the trophy into a missile that exploded and then was gone.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpdGjMSZ9dY

The whole run is pretty funny/cursed

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 30, 2022

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

If you play it enough, something will hand you the trophy. Then you get the great reward of unlocking tmtrainer

Challenge 45 unlocks the reverse Temperance card (a good/alright card). You have to beat the Beast as t.Eden to unlock tmttrainer (a run ruining item).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RatHat posted:

My favourite one was in a NorthernLion(?) run where he got to the end of the challenge but some item turned the trophy into a missile that exploded and then was gone.

i saw that live and it was an incredible moment

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty much about getting around the inherent fragility. Blank card + holy card, wooden cross, blanket, psy fly, algiz + tarot cloth + blank rune, stuff like that.

Alternatively, you have to get something that's totally busted. I've had a couple hemolacrya + Jacob's Ladder runs and that just melts everything. The last insane one I had was a Tainted Keeper sacred orb start that led to hemolacrya, sacred heart, tech x, and jacob's ladder. Everything in the game died in one hit; Delirium took about 8.

I used ghost pepper. The blue flames eat bullets and perfection makes it so you shoot a lot of them. Don't get telefragged.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Black August posted:

Data Miner has one niche use where you can roll your tears so low that they eventually roll over to the absolute max, but it takes forever and it needs an infinite charge setup.

Edmund being so salted over data mining never made sense to me, as far back as flash Issac. Like… your game is always going to be torn open. Literally every single game now and forever will have its guts spilled everywhere day one no exceptions, which means if you want to do crazy hidden game stuff, you absolutely need to do something that is not ‘just place the data in the game’ because it’s gonna be figured out 20 seconds after Steam updates with the release.
Nah its completely understandable, a lot of work and planning went into the puzzle and to have the payoff ruined because dataminers didn't have the sense not to ruin a community puzzle hours before it was about to be solved is pretty lovely. Just because people can do something doesn't mean they should.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On the one hand it was pretty obvious that that would happen, but on the other I don't blame him for being bummed out about it. It's not like dataminer is the only lovely item in the game (it does seem to show up a whole lot, though).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
it is an inevitability, but that doesnt mean you cant get upset about it. with that out of the way, him saying it was like "downing a 100 dollar steak in a single bite" was pretty funny cause come on its not *that* cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I loving hate Plum.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont blame him for being bummed that dataminers spoiled a puzzle, but I do blame him for dataminer being a lovely item in the game, because that makes my experience worse and I wasnt involved in datamining the drat puzzle.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It would be really nice if devil beggars just broke your shield as The Lost instead of auto-killing you. Fuckin' stupid to lose a run bc you were on auto-pilot and didn't swerve out of the way in time.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
That is a good point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally got Dead God. I was trying to find the Death Certificate for a week or so. I eventually had a run where I used diplopia, placebo, the D6, and an 48 hour energy pill to roll through something like 12 items in one secret room. I actually had some runs where I saw significantly more secret room items but it just wouldn't show up. I think I saw the Mega Mush 4 times, it was painful leaving it behind to hang on to my D6.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I'm officially invoking the power of the thread because trying to beat Greedier mode as Tainted Lost is making me sad and unhappy all at the same time. The more horseshit a build I manage to get, the more likely it is I'm gonna lose track of what's going on and die to some minuscule, easily avoidable threat.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive taken the last month to playing t lost for fun and during a downpour or dross boss room i was like "I bet that loving worm boss is gonna spawn on top of me" and despite predicting it i wasnt able to get away in time and had my mantle completely decimated. then i fail the dps race and he does his little unpredictable and insanely fast rush attack that kills me.

started a third save file and played a bit of bethany and i forgot that recently spawned enemies in challenge rooms, and i assume also in greed mode, dont have a lil grace period for wisps, so it erased almost all of them in one fell swoop. i honestly dont know why they never changed how enemies spawning on top of you work. its so bullshit

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i'm never going to get a loving mark on this stupid god drat ghost

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ArfJason posted:

ive taken the last month to playing t lost for fun and during a downpour or dross boss room i was like "I bet that loving worm boss is gonna spawn on top of me" and despite predicting it i wasnt able to get away in time and had my mantle completely decimated. then i fail the dps race and he does his little unpredictable and insanely fast rush attack that kills me.

started a third save file and played a bit of bethany and i forgot that recently spawned enemies in challenge rooms, and i assume also in greed mode, dont have a lil grace period for wisps, so it erased almost all of them in one fell swoop. i honestly dont know why they never changed how enemies spawning on top of you work. its so bullshit

i've been helpfully informed that any instance of entering a new room and taking damage instantly is simply a skill issue

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I watched a great Northern lion Spelunky 2 run where he tries to get the "speedrun" achievement, where you beat the final boss in 10 minutes or under. There isnt a timer until the victory screen he beat the game in 10:01

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ArfJason posted:

delirium teleporting on top of me with no warning has killed so many tainted lost runs

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Tractor beam is amazing against Ultra Greed, it really cleans up those spawns.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I watched a great Northern lion Spelunky 2 run where he tries to get the "speedrun" achievement, where you beat the final boss in 10 minutes or under. There isnt a timer until the victory screen he beat the game in 10:01

there’s definitely an on-screen timer in Spelunky 2. Maybe he didn’t turn it on tho

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/i/status/1529242148620468226

Fastest Hush kill I've had so far. Explosion of spiders is pretty effective.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Yeah that's super fast.

I beat hard mode Mega Satan using Dr. Fetus (with one heart left) earlier. Feels good.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ArfJason posted:

i honestly dont know why they never changed how enemies spawning on top of you work. its so bullshit

They managed to nerf broken runs (arguably one of the most fun things to do in BOI) but kept all the loving horrifying design flaws in the game like boss armor, impossibly cramped rooms, enemies tping on top of you and metric fucktons of unavoidable damage everywhere.

It's like Edmund doesn't understand his own game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

if you think there are no more broken runs you clearly haven’t been playing the game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

They managed to nerf broken runs (arguably one of the most fun things to do in BOI)

:what:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
There's some pretty insane runs you can get, but it was kind of annoying they nerfed the d4/d100 so badly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Fattest PI posted:

There's some pretty insane runs you can get, but it was kind of annoying they nerfed the d4/d100 so badly

Yeah, this may be what some people are seeing. They nerfed a lot of the items that make you automatically win, but they've added so many new interactions and OP items that it's opened up a lot more opportunities to break the game. It's often not in a way you've seen before though.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

watho posted:

if you think there are no more broken runs you clearly haven’t been playing the game

I haven't been playing it in a long time (I picked it up briefly right after repentance for maybe a couple of weeks) but Devil's room feels nerfed to poo poo, getting Angel's is still super sketchy, many of the previous run winners are nerfed into oblivion and maybe 50% of the new characters are fun to play. I have to say the new items, levels, mobs and bosses are pretty cool though, can't complain there.

Maybe I still haven't encountered the new broken synergies you're talking about?

It's weird though because it feels like they tried to balance the game to make it so that you can, say, maybe kill Mother after a less than awesome run but you really really can't most of the times. BOI's last levels are still chock full of tiny rooms with massive unavoidable bullshit where either you get out right away because you have enough damage/protection or you don't and lose 2-3 hearts without being able to do much about it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

let me tell you about one of my favorites: JACOB'S LADDER

I basically win every run I manage to get my hands on it with. good poo poo. highly recommend

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I still win every run I take past basement 2 (which is the vast majority, I don't startscum that bad), but they did get rid of most of the ways of "going infinite" that were in Antibirth+. I've heard it stated that Edmund didn't like seeing streamers break the game, which sucked because being able to break it was cool and fun. By break I don't just mean get a run that's virtually unlosable, that's still very attainable, I mean doing stuff like buying literally every item in the game from the shop.

The power level of the Repentance items is really high too, so installing Repentance makes the game a lot harder and then it gradually starts to creep back towards easier as you get completion marks.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm glad I spent hours trying to unlock some of the new run winning items like Rock Bottom, just for me to literally never have seen it :negative:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Picked up tboi again after finally finishing elden ring. Decided to try E&J because I only had one completion mark w him. Got birthright and the ladder first try. Hell yea.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I'm trying to get completion marks with Tainted Eve and it's so loving terrible, every time the clots get stuck into rocks and stuff I get jacob and esau ptsd. A single boss with a room full of obstacles will immediately end your run unless you instantly kill it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawabata posted:

I'm trying to get completion marks with Tainted Eve and it's so loving terrible, every time the clots get stuck into rocks and stuff I get jacob and esau ptsd. A single boss with a room full of obstacles will immediately end your run unless you instantly kill it.

Tainted Eve is tough for the first two floors or so but becomes ridiculously powerful once you get rolling. Just make sure not to slow down and get a good cadence for picking up hearts and popping your sumptorium, and you can have like 20 clotties out at any given time giving you massive DPS and an extra bar of effective HP.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Tainted Eve is tough for the first two floors or so but becomes ridiculously powerful once you get rolling. Just make sure not to slow down and get a good cadence for picking up hearts and popping your sumptorium, and you can have like 20 clotties out at any given time giving you massive DPS and an extra bar of effective HP.

I must be doing something wrong because I lose my army in one boss explosion/brimstone attack/aoe stuff. I never managed to complete boss rush in spite of getting there three times now because by the end of it my clot army is gone and I'm plinking at the health of the last bosses.

It's also very, very slow to absorb and put your clots out again to prevent them "decaying" and it's kind of weird that on this character the game forces you to tap fire because by keeping the button pressed you'll drop to half a heart and get killed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm glad I spent hours trying to unlock some of the new run winning items like Rock Bottom, just for me to literally never have seen it :negative:

secret room pool, so with some of the items that let you put pedestal items in secret rooms, you can roll them for a chance at it. theres a lot of cool new stuff like the reverse fool, reverse lovers and reverse stars that can spawn pedestal items, and especially reverse judgment which spawns a restock machine so you can reroll in there if there isnt already a reroll machine. not to mention other stuff like moving box but its a bit too specific and you give up an active.
so dont sweat it, youll eventually find it normally too

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
That is good tips but gently caress now I have to unlock the reverse cards that sounds hard

edit: reverse lovers was super easy to unlock

The Fattest PI fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Beat Delirium with Tainted Lost so broken runs definitely exist. My collection included:
Euthanasia
Deaths touch
Tough love (triple damage with perfection)
Twisted pair
Book of dead (protection in the way halo of flies used to be) + bookworm
Birds Eye (constant fire removing all bullets)
Echo chamber + PhD - didn't end up doing much but capped out speed by the end of the second floor and helped boost shot speed up to 3.16

6.5 Tears, 13 damage and 14 luck (perfection).

Only sadness was no conjoined or guppy. Both 2/3.
FQDL 8TZL

Edit - after killing Delirium I managed to kill myself messing around. Torn Card is so bad. Who would possibly want ipecac boomeranging back at themselves? I'm glad you get the credit for the kill and not touching the treasure chest.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 1, 2022