Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

limp_cheese posted:

I also can't get enough of Barry's roommates never paying attention to their surroundings.

"Go ahead. Do Jesse Jackson :colbert:" cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The exhaust note sounds like a smaller two-stroke motor, so my guess was that the bike itself couldn't keep up with freeway traffic (you can tell from the lack of lights, indicators, and a license plate that it's not street legal). The size of the exhaust also looked like it was for a smaller displacement bike. Based on the scene, I'd guess it was at most 125cc, which would likely top out around 60mph, especially with dirt bike gearing.

It was also hit by a car in an earlier scene so... probably not in optimal running condition.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ballz posted:

It was also hit by a car in an earlier scene so... probably not in optimal running condition.

That’s what Hader says in the interview. It ran slow because it got smashed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another Bill posted:

My streaming service won't let me take a screen shot but there's something illegible written on the back of the Kenneth Goulet card. I feel like that's a clue to the who/when/where stuff.

It’s not your streaming service - browsers have some hardware acceleration or something that is making it all black. Use Snipping Tool for screenshots. :)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DaveKap posted:

The fact that whole thing happened and the only music was Barry singing "You're my buddy... you're my pal..." was a solid directorial choice.

its also a good way to sell that the stunt rider is Barry via ADR

GreenNight posted:

That’s what Hader says in the interview. It ran slow because it got smashed.

just like GTA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wanna hear someone's take on what it was Barry was singing, considering it was 100% made up by Hader on the spot.

I wonder if Gene falls in love with the woman he offered the gig to (can't recall her name) and his life turns around so completely that he actually ends up being thankful towards Barry just when he's at his lowest point.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 31, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I love Vanessa Bayer but that scene was taking a joke that didn't land for me and extending it way longer than needed. I'll accept that I'm in the minority on that though. Chase scene was fuckng awesome. In that interview Bill Hader talks about how he hates when there's cuts and coverage in action scenes and I feel the same way. Give me that John Wick poo poo where the camera's way back and you see everything.

I can't remember if his roommate said "do" or "be" Jesse Jackson but that was loving amazing

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I love Vanessa Bayer but that scene was taking a joke that didn't land for me and extending it way longer than needed. I'll accept that I'm in the minority on that though. Chase scene was fuckng awesome. In that interview Bill Hader talks about how he hates when there's cuts and coverage in action scenes and I feel the same way. Give me that John Wick poo poo where the camera's way back and you see everything.

I can't remember if his roommate said "do" or "be" Jesse Jackson but that was loving amazing

Yeah thank god they cut that Bayer scene, Hader mentioned how it originally went way way longer.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

GreenNight posted:

Yeah thank god they cut that Bayer scene, Hader mentioned how it originally went way way longer.

:wrong:

i hope there's a blooper reel showing them continuing the skit with even more ridiculousness til one of them corpses

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I miss TV shows on DVD when they had commentary tracks and making of specials along with blooper reals. You dont get that poo poo with streaming.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Barry continues to be absurdly lucky and dodge automatic gunfire. The barrage from the LMG even busted one of his tires and he was fine. And then the final biker misses every shot at near point- blank with an smg.

Hand-off!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Barry continues to be absurdly lucky and dodge automatic gunfire. The barrage from the LMG even busted one of his tires and he was fine. And then the final biker misses every shot at near point- blank with an smg.

It's quite absurd but the show is done so well, you just go with it, accept it. It all just works, so well.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Vanessa Bayer scene wasn't that funny at first, but then it became funny. I don't need to see a longer version though, that was the right length.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PantsBandit posted:

Hand-off!

For some reason this reminded me of Stephen Root in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs shouting "PAN SHOT!" as he went to take out whatshisface.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Agreed that the Bayer scene was the exact right amount. If there's any one thing this show's editors have been amazing at, it's timing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The editing is absolute *chef's kiss* and it's been this way since it started.

What Hader and Berg and co. are doing here s absolutely remarkable.

This isn't editing per se, but it's a choice they made... what about the very brief musical intro to every episode that cuts out mid-note? Even THAT makes me LOL, every time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

And also there is bitch-black comedy."

This fits so well I can't tell if it's a typo or not.

e:

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite bit was his foley for a zipper zipping was just saying the word 'zzzzip' :lol:

Vintersorg posted:

It’s not your streaming service - browsers have some hardware acceleration or something that is making it all black. Use Snipping Tool for screenshots. :)

Or have OBS record a monitor / window :eng101:

DaveKap posted:

I wanna hear someone's take on what it was Barry was singing, considering it was 100% made up by Hader on the spot.

I wonder if Gene falls in love with the woman he offered the gig to (can't recall her name) and his life turns around so completely that he actually ends up being thankful towards Barry just when he's at his lowest point.

I will be :science: shocked if she doesn't forgive him and take another chance with his offer and Gene somehow ends up loving her worse than last time and leaving her completely unemployable.

Cojawfee posted:

For some reason this reminded me of Stephen Root in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs shouting "PAN SHOT!" as he went to take out whatshisface.

:hmmyes:

MrMojok posted:

This isn't editing per se, but it's a choice they made... what about the very brief musical intro to every episode that cuts out mid-note? Even THAT makes me LOL, every time.

Better Call Saul intro also cuts off in the middle of a note, COINCIDENCE?? Is Barry's theme from a real song? Sounds like something from Motown or Stax.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 31, 2022

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

LOL!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

My streaming service won't let me take a screen shot but there's something illegible written on the back of the Kenneth Goulet card. I feel like that's a clue to the who/when/where stuff.

You can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser settings and screenshot and record to your heart's content.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also, and I hate to say this, I don't think Barry drives on 710N at any time during that whole scene. He goes onto CA-134W, then I-210W, and when he goes off the highway he appears to be driving on 710S.

If I am misreading this, Angelinos correct me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*quietly deletes draft post speculating what 710N is supposed to spell, eg Lion, Zion, Tion, etc*

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If you rewatch the scene and pay attention to the shadows, you'll also see that the weather seems to change instantly!

Doesn't matter, show's too good to care.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am funning. Of course, the show is so good that none of it matters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I miss TV shows on DVD when they had commentary tracks and making of specials along with blooper reals. You dont get that poo poo with streaming.

See, to me, there's no reason why this can't continue. Just like they do with languages, they could easily put a director's commentary track alongside a given title.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, to me, there's no reason why this can't continue. Just like they do with languages, they could easily put a director's commentary track alongside a given title.

Absolutely, they easily can but don't. Extremely annoying.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Takes No Damage posted:

Better Call Saul intro also cuts off in the middle of a note, COINCIDENCE?? Is Barry's theme from a real song? Sounds like something from Motown or Stax.

Close! It’s “Change for the World” by the late, great Charles Bradley.

https://youtu.be/Za-MIjJnzPM

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

GreenNight posted:

Absolutely, they easily can but don't. Extremely annoying.

This might start up when there is financial incentive to do so, ie when the major streaming platforms are reeeeaally digging for ways to make their platform more appealing than the others. I don't see it happening until a suit decides that it'll make Number Go Up, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They will want to find a way to get paid extra for it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

SimonChris posted:

You can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser settings and screenshot and record to your heart's content.

I had the same issue on mobile in the HBONOWMax app. Not that I was watching the episode on mobile, but I wanted to screenshot a particular scene later and it was totally black.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Ballz posted:

Close! It’s “Change for the World” by the late, great Charles Bradley.

https://youtu.be/Za-MIjJnzPM

feels like I'm listening to something forbidden after that cut note

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Streaming services, at least netflix, prevent you from taking screenshots.

Amazing episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I downloaded a sanbox software once just to take screenshots of the lovely new mortal kombat movie.

I was hoping Fuches was dead but knew we couldn't get it that easy. and lol at Fuches twice now getting away from the city to find some fine lady who likes him, for some inexplicable reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha great episode, i love this running gag of barry's assassins just loving themselves up.
to fire back.
i know it's a tv show, but does nobody in LA have guns? I feel like if the dirtbike scene happened in texas, any of the gunshot parts would've resulted in a bunch of gun nuts busting out their guns since they were given an excuse to.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The one leopard missing is the actor's dad, i wonder what amusing death he will suffer.

On the other hand, Bunny Colvin! I hope he triumphs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why is the streaming service called BanShe? Was that joke ever explained? Its such a weird name

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

Why is the streaming service called BanShe? Was that joke ever explained? Its such a weird name

It’s just supposed to be a female focused streaming service and the joke is that the name sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

The one leopard missing is the actor's dad, i wonder what amusing death he will suffer.

On the other hand, Bunny Colvin! I hope he triumphs.

Haha that reveal meant nothing to me but I got the feeling it was supposed to be ~someone~ but I never watched the wire

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Nemo posted:

Streaming services, at least netflix, prevent you from taking screenshots.

Amazing episode.

The first part isn't true. The second is 100% true!!

Top is print screen, bottom is snipping tool.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vintersorg posted:

The first part isn't true. The second is 100% true!!

Top is print screen, bottom is snipping tool.
This only works in a browser. If you use the Netflix application it actually dims the screen down if you try to take a screenshot. I bet they would do the same for the browser function if they were able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Khanstant posted:

hahaha great episode, i love this running gag of barry's assassins just loving themselves up.
to fire back.
i know it's a tv show, but does nobody in LA have guns? I feel like if the dirtbike scene happened in texas, any of the gunshot parts would've resulted in a bunch of gun nuts busting out their guns since they were given an excuse to.

hell or high water does this the best