Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I swear to god one the name just below the neck hole is "gotiddy".

Joe Hickey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

How far away in Foob are we from April falling in the creek?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The goat trap (49/1937)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Fighting Trousers posted:

You've got a repeat on the first and third strips there, Vargo.

allright allright here's yer precious missing Wallace:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Hey all, so sorry for my long absence. Life got in the way for a minute, and before I knew it I was so far behind, but after seeing Some Guy’s comment from last month I’ve determined to :justpost: from 40 pages in the past. It’ll take me a minute to get everything reorganized so my posting might be a little erratic, but I’m back! See you when I catch up!

This is why I try to take time to comment sometimes. Good things often happen from comments. Everyone should make more comments!

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 3/14/48

Struggling to guess what could have been going on in early 1948 Korea that was such a hot news story that a regular joe like Smokey would have been excited to read about it in the morning paper.

Hostile V posted:

Fake Marriage? More Like REAL Marriage! Take That, Court System! Eat It!

Seems like these two should have a head start on the leads in the porcupine offspring hybrid department.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Andertoons

Took me a second to see the anger. :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Vargo posted:

And is Jared supposed to be ugly? He doesn't look significantly different than anyone else in this strip.
Wait, was Jared supposed to be a burn victim or am I thinking of another guy?
Jared isn't ugly, he's just kind of doofy. Dawn is supposed to be far more conventionally attractive than he is.

The burn victim was another guy Dawn met in the airport, either when she decided to go for a long-distance relationship with Hugo or when she was ending it, I don't remember. He inspired her one way or the other.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

OK so he's legit delusional and they are treating him that way. Now his terrible planning makes some sense. Rex isn't a psychiatrist so I'm not sure where they're going with this though.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

dismas posted:

How far away in Foob are we from April falling in the creek?

The Lawrence-comes-out story was 1993, and the April story was 1995. So, maybe a year, year and a half?

(edit:) Dug a bit deeper, and it looks like we're currently around June 1993 Foobtime. So, a bit under two years.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 31, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Vargo posted:

How about the missing Phoebe?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Vargo posted:

Worth it!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Ardeem posted:

How about the missing Phoebe?

Listen I just don't know what you people want from me

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Vargo posted:

Thank you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

I want you to get in Twitter spats with racist comic creators that result in you getting murdered hunting yetis, but posting the comics will have to suffice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Nips-A-Poppin'

Moral Quandary? gently caress That. Ethics Schmethics.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Life in Hell

Note that these are boomer memories of childhood rhymes, and yet I still remember (slightly different versions of) them from elementary school. Although my boomer mom probably taught me a couple.

Really disappointed that the classic "I turn on the heater and burn off my peter" was left out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I can't decide if this is too dark or just the right amount so I'll spoil it, I was expecting the Kansas City Hyatt Regency.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Life in Hell

Note that these are boomer memories of childhood rhymes, and yet I still remember (slightly different versions of) them from elementary school. Although my boomer mom probably taught me a couple.

The study of memes was a lot more intriguing before you could just trace everything to 4chan or some guy on TikTok.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Eh, Heloise will be a hot Phantom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Family Guy did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX1-G69WLzo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Why wouldn't you want to make an analogy with The Godfather?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Phantom has me confused now. Is this still Mozz doing Ghost of Chirstmas Yet to Come or what?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "248 - Jucika's Own Bus Stop"

"249 - Jucika And The Slippery Road"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

EBB posted:

Phantom has me confused now. Is this still Mozz doing Ghost of Chirstmas Yet to Come or what?

Yeah, this is him explaining in detail how and why Kit Jr. broke the legacy of the Phantom by going and doing something else.

With any luck we'll find out why Heloise's friend apparently commits suicide over this since that was something people found odd when it got brought up earlier.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

The dog, you see, is large.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I got a laugh over "The Girls".
Also, I remember Charles Chips, loving home delivery of potato chips and pretzels.
Huh, they went out of business several times, but now sell through a website: https://charleschips.com/collections/16-oz-chip-tin

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 4, 1919

And He Did! June 16, 1919

Cat Tales May 16, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 12, 1936

Mopsy January 21, 1938

Up Front May 17, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 2, 1952

Those Were the Days December 15, 1960

Wee Pals August 5, 1966

Dogbert May 15, 1967

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True June 4, 1919

Everett, this is untrue and you know it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, this is him explaining in detail how and why Kit Jr. broke the legacy of the Phantom by going and doing something else.

With any luck we'll find out why Heloise's friend apparently commits suicide over this since that was something people found odd when it got brought up earlier.

Is that who the girl's supposed to be, or am I just goon face blind? Have she and Kit ever even met?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This is the best Bad Machinery ever. But iirc, it totally sucks for the girl who tripped Mildred because she is also a selkie, her coat was taken when she was a toddler by the dude there when he was a kid, so she is kinda forced to follow him around/want him/be with him because he took her coat, and it ended up thrown away. So while she is a bitch, she also is limited in how she can live because of that thrown away seal skin.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (September 28-30, 1936)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Preaching to the choir over here...

Our Boarding House (February 27-March 1, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (May 15-17, 1919)

Dok's "Takes One To Know One, Kid" Duck (March 6, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 1-4, 1936)

Banker and the Butler

Blondie From Zero (March 24-26, 1932)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Some Guy TT posted:

Struggling to guess what could have been going on in early 1948 Korea that was such a hot news story that a regular joe like Smokey would have been excited to read about it in the morning paper.

...Are you serious? In case you're actually not familiar with the broad strokes of Korean history, guy who's translating Korean comics and providing context, this was the build-up to the division and eventual civil war of Korea. Korea was the opening battleground of the Cold War, starting before the end of WWII

Though I might be being a little harsh, I'm old enough to have an uncle that served in Korea and enjoy reruns of M*A*S*H

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 1, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

Curtis, you only get one strip because holy hell Comics Kingdom won't give you YESTERDAY'S strip for free.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Is that who the girl's supposed to be?
Nah, this is someone else, I'm pretty sure. I don't know when/if Kit and Kadia met.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Though I might be being a little harsh, I'm old enough to have an uncle that served in Korea and enjoy reruns of M*A*S*H

If you can get past the fact that it was a different time and everyone is a low grade sex pest, it's still a fantastic show

I realize not everyone can or wants to overlook that aspect though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Nah, this is someone else, I'm pretty sure. I don't know when/if Kit and Kadia met.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I admit I don't know much about Phantom lore, so I guess this could just be another, unnamed (?) friend of Heloise's that met Kit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I admit I don't know much about Phantom lore, so I guess this could just be another, unnamed (?) friend of Heloise's that met Kit.

Oh, I know that Heloise wants Kadia to marry Kit. I just don't know if (or to what extent) Kit or Kadia are on-board with that plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Again, With This poo poo December 1, 1960

Oh, poo poo, I actually did just get a raise. It seemed like a good idea at the time to ask, what with the cost of living going up and gas prices at all, but maybe it was a big mistake? Now I'm wondering how I'll stay out of the poorhouse. :(

Green Intern posted:

Burn victim is another guy. Jared's traits are that he is a schlub who can't stop saying "Gosh, I'm so boring and forgettable. You'd be better off without me." and then getting upset when someone looks away from him.

And also

That panel actually doesn't have much to do with anything. I just love it is all and I don't get enough excuses to post it.