Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Emulators for PS2/GC-era consoles and later will tax the Steam Deck if you're doing stuff like trying to run them at 4x speed, absolutely. It probably won't even be able to go that fast. That will be a noise maker and a battery drainer, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Performance is overall pretty flawless for all emulation up to like GameCube/PS2 era (at normal speeds), and most switch/Wii U games that run on yuzu or cemu will also run on the deck. Most problems I've seen can be traced back to using an emu core within RetroArch instead of the standalone versions (especially with Dolphin). Tweaking some settings is always needed for optimal performance of course, but nothing special.

Remember that you're pushing out 800p res on the deck, which is a lot less pixels compared to what 1080p or a 4k system needs to deliver. The best comparison I've seen so far: performance of the Deck is very similar to the (base model) ps4 in games that are available on both, in a portable device.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calculator was correct. I got my e-mail today :woop:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Well, the one calculator said I should expect my email today, but it's now 11:05 and none of my emails are delightful ones so I'm tryin' a different calculator.

It says June 15th. Boo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The calculator says I was supposed to get my email 8 days ago, at least you have a date that makes sense!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Calculator had me at today, RIP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

all of the "calculators" are just taking wild stabs based on relative queue positions. sometimes they'll be right, a lot of the time they'll be wrong.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

This thing is incredible. Spent the weekend playing Java Minecraft on a server with friends, got FFXIV up and running, and snuck in some Vampire Survivors time as well.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
my poor deck

In this recreation of the scene I went to pick up my deck and slipped, and the deck slid down the couch to fall tilting forward.

the distressing result of the glass meeting my chair leg head-on

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

parasyte posted:

my poor deck

In this recreation of the scene I went to pick up my deck and slipped, and the deck slid down the couch to fall tilting forward.

the distressing result of the glass meeting my chair leg head-on

512 or ?

https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=steam%20deck%20screen

Sucks, but its not the end of the world. Totally fixable (once everything gets back in stock)

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oof.

Goondolences

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Carteret posted:

512 or ?

https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=steam%20deck%20screen

Sucks, but its not the end of the world. Totally fixable (once everything gets back in stock)

Man, you gotta take the entire drat thing apart to do a screen replacement. Good luck.

Maybe Valve will do it for you? What's their support system like?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I've asked them if they can do it and how much it'll cost me, just waiting on a response. I looked at the ifixit teardown and I would judge myself not skilled enough to get it all back together the way it came.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Really dope rear end rug though!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh that's kind of freaky that a lil drop off a couch on to a chair leg did that to it. I've hard dropped my devices so many times and they have been fine so I don't sweat it too much. My 2013 macbook air that i post on takes a hard plunge onto the floor like once a week and still looks brand new. I drop iphones on pavement with no case pretty regularly and they are fine. Also knock my switch off the night stand sometimes. Guess I might need to baby the steam deck a bit like I do my gaming laptop.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh that's kind of freaky that a lil drop off a couch on to a chair leg did that to it. I've hard dropped my devices so many times and they have been fine so I don't sweat it too much. My 2013 macbook air that i post on takes a hard plunge onto the floor like once a week and still looks brand new. I drop iphones on pavement with no case pretty regularly and they are fine. Also knock my switch off the night stand sometimes. Guess I might need to baby the steam deck a bit like I do my gaming laptop.

Maybe you need to stop dropping your stuff dude wtf

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My deck slipped off my lap and onto a thin rug and it was heart-skipping. It landed on the grip, which I think will withstand significant impact without any damage. The screen....not so much.

Screen replacement isn't too bad though. if Valve won't do it/is really expensive I'd bet any of those cell-phone repair places would be able to do a replacement if you brought them the parts. I'd bet $50 cash would be worth it since those guys would probably whip through it in 90 minutes or less.

jokes posted:

I was concerned that it wouldn’t be optimized for emulators and it would cause the fans to get loud or tax the processor too much.

I don’t imagine valve is doing a lot of work on behalf of emulators, so I assume that falls on the emulator community which I don’t think has much resources. The capability of the hardware is hard to peg in relation to hardware elsewhere, like is it similar to an 8700 and a 1060 or something?

People say “it can run elden ring I’m sure it can run an emulator fine” but you’d be surprised. Also, being extremely optimized for a blockbuster AAA game doesn’t really translate to being able to play GameCube games at upscale resolutions at turbo speed or whatever.

Keep in mind, the Deck isn't a console. It's a Linux PC. So if your emulator core is optimized for the Debian flavor of Linux SteamOS uses, it's optimized for the Deck. You don't need to do anything different for the Deck. As mentioned, most of the emulators work as good or better in Linux than in Windows (adjusting for the fact that in the emulator scene poorly configured emulators are not uncommon)

When people are talking about "optimizing" it's usually the Proton layer that allows you to play Windows games on Linux. Again, you're not really optimizing for the Deck in that use case, but I'd bet at this point the Steam Deck is probably the most widespread application of Proton so it's becoming somewhat synonymous. Shaders are also a kind of optimization, but that's just taking advantage of knowing the exact hardware specs of a particular setup, and also not really applicable to the emulator conversation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

It's all about how concentrated the impact point is-- I've basically had to train myself to just let any tech I knock down or drop just fall because "letting it fall flat onto the floor" always seems to lead to better outcomes than fumbling the catch and launching it into a metal desk support or corner, and the only times I've had severe damage to dropped tech in the last 20 years have been instances of the latter

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

I drop iphones on pavement with no case pretty regularly and they are fine.

iPhones have Gorilla Glass or whatever Sapphire name they call it though, the Deck's screen isn't on the same level.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Moral of the story here: Buy tempered glass screen protectors for your tech.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Has anyone with a 64 or 256 tried out a screen protector with anti-glare? Just wondering if I can get something comparable to the 512 screen with a protector or if it's not worth the trouble.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lockback posted:

Keep in mind, the Deck isn't a console. It's a Linux PC. So if your emulator core is optimized for the Debian flavor of Linux SteamOS uses, it's optimized for the Deck. You don't need to do anything different for the Deck. As mentioned, most of the emulators work as good or better in Linux than in Windows (adjusting for the fact that in the emulator scene poorly configured emulators are not uncommon)

SteamOS uses Arch Linux instead of Debian as of the Deck’s release, but yes, otherwise this post is correct.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

The Postman posted:

Has anyone with a 64 or 256 tried out a screen protector with anti-glare? Just wondering if I can get something comparable to the 512 screen with a protector or if it's not worth the trouble.

Found this example on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tx89hd/matte_screen_protector_for_64gb_deck_tested/

Looks like it will do the trick if you aren't worried about not having a glass protector.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's all about how concentrated the impact point is-- I've basically had to train myself to just let any tech I knock down or drop just fall because "letting it fall flat onto the floor" always seems to lead to better outcomes than fumbling the catch and launching it into a metal desk support or corner, and the only times I've had severe damage to dropped tech in the last 20 years have been instances of the latter

This is so true. The only screen I've ever actually managed to break was a fumbled catch that sent the phone spinning on a worse trajectory.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

sigher posted:

iPhones have Gorilla Glass or whatever Sapphire name they call it though, the Deck's screen isn't on the same level.

I love my Deck, but it sure doesn't feel as durable as the iPhones, MBPs, or ThinkPads I've had in the past.

I'm hoping that I never drop it unless it's from a couple of feet up onto carpet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pirate Jet posted:

SteamOS uses Arch Linux instead of Debian as of the Deck’s release, but yes, otherwise this post is correct.

Oh good call, I dicked around with SteamOS a while ago and I keep forgetting they are using Arch with the Deck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man I remember when turning on the hair physics poo poo in the Tomb Raider games absolutely nuked GPUs but now it was on by default on my Deck and I hardly even noticed. What a fantastic little device :allears:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Insanite posted:

I love my Deck, but it sure doesn't feel as durable as the iPhones, MBPs, or ThinkPads I've had in the past.

I'm hoping that I never drop it unless it's from a couple of feet up onto carpet.

If you drop it that means you’re not playing cool video games on a cool device and you deserve any bad things that come from that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

jokes posted:

If you drop it that means you’re not playing cool video games on a cool device and you deserve any bad things that come from that

I think when I dropped mine I was looking up how to change the image used for non-steam games in the Steam Library, which is the primary function of the device.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wonder if Steam Deck runs Playnite, which is a library/front end for a bunch of different storefronts

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Like the other guy said it's all about where the shock hits. The middle of the glass impacting the corner of a metal chair leg is just gonna shatter it.

My deck took a fall on the 2nd day from roughly chest height because i forgot to zip up the case. It landed on its back and was perfectly fine. This one was roughly knee height from the couch cushion, but the surfaces were pointed enough and hard enough that it did the trick.

Valve told me they'll RMA it as a courtesy, which I very much appreciate. I didn't think a tempered glass screen protector was necessary due to the case being awesome, but once I get the replacement I'm absolutely going to apply one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That's super duper nice of Valve!

I checked google, which was ultimately reddit, to see if there's a slot for a wrist strap.
There isn't, and people drop their tech a lot it turns out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

parasyte posted:

Like the other guy said it's all about where the shock hits. The middle of the glass impacting the corner of a metal chair leg is just gonna shatter it.

My deck took a fall on the 2nd day from roughly chest height because i forgot to zip up the case. It landed on its back and was perfectly fine. This one was roughly knee height from the couch cushion, but the surfaces were pointed enough and hard enough that it did the trick.

Valve told me they'll RMA it as a courtesy, which I very much appreciate. I didn't think a tempered glass screen protector was necessary due to the case being awesome, but once I get the replacement I'm absolutely going to apply one.

drat that's good customer service. Glad to hear you aren't stuck with a paper weight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's ridiculously generous.

jokes posted:

I wonder if Steam Deck runs Playnite, which is a library/front end for a bunch of different storefronts

There's the Epic front-end thing but I had lots of trouble with controller support in games. I need to revisit it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no notice yet on my deck being shipped back from valve, though it's only been 3 business days since it reached their warehouse on thursday. would've liked to have been one of the rare few that have a very tiny turnaround, but the average wait tends to be a full week minimum so.. I guess I'll see where it's at on thursday.

i'm just playing gamepass games until then :X

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Please vacuum your rug and lounge, my allergies flared just by looking at that

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seeing how fragile the Deck screen is, I for one will definitely be cancelling my pre-order and I encourage you all to do the same!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Seeing how fragile the Deck screen is, I for one will definitely be cancelling my pre-order and I encourage you all to do the same!

lol look at this non-deck haver

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Carteret posted:

I'll be encouraging people to cancel their pre-orders for quite a while; I wasn't aware of the Deck until February of this year. Calculator currently estimates I'll get my email in late November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Carteret posted:

imagine not having a deck at this point

just lol

the shame