Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I put my order in last Thursday and it's still showing as Shipping Soon :nsamad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Insanite posted:

imagine not having a deck at this point

just lol

the shame

:smith:

You think we don’t already feel like poo poo?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I played Crystal Project all day on my deck instead of working.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey guys let's all take our Decks out and compare them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaddish posted:

I played Crystal Project all day on my deck instead of working.

It’s a loving good game

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The audio port on the Deck can put out more power than even typical desktop ports. It's driving some inefficient but lovely headphones I have decently even without a headphone amp.

Aptx Low Latency can be made to work. Thanks to Linux the Deck is now the most fully featured BT stack of any portable device. But it takes some tweaking right now. Haven't tried that yet, my BT headphones don't support any low latency codec as I chose them for voice and music not gaming.

Thinking of sticking with my existing wired headphones with the Deck instead of Bluetooth, either by hanging a USB C hub with an external portable dac/amp attached to it to drive the headphones or using a portable BT dac/amp that can do Aptx LL to the Deck which the wired headphones can attach to. The latter is less wires and should be better but the former will keep the portable dac/amp charged while charging the Deck. Less wires wins.

There's still occasional jank when games start up, with hangs and crashes, but this is easily the best gaming device I've used. A wide open handheld PC running Linux - who would have bet on this?

Trucker Hat posted:

I put my order in last Thursday and it's still showing as Shipping Soon :nsamad:

I'd drop support a line and ask what's going on.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 1, 2022

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Spent all night getting emulation set up.

Emudeck/Emulation Station with the Switch skin is something else.

Loving it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

v1ld posted:

Aptx Low Latency can be made to work. Thanks to Linux the Deck is now the most fully featured BT stack of any portable device.

Hell has turned into a glacier. Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

OMG I would so love to.

But mine is in a courier depot in the Netherlands. Come on GLS, hurry up, I can't survive another Deckless weekend. :negative:

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

v1ld posted:

I'd drop support a line and ask what's going on.

Monday was a holiday in the states so I'm gonna give them an extra day or 2 before I get worried.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
$1 for 3 months of Xbox Gamepass: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/CFQ7TTC0KHS0/0007/CFQ7TTC0L3R2

You can follow these instructions (from Microsoft!) to get gamepass streaming working on your deck: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Not every game is great streaming of course, but there's tons in there that works great. And since it's just running Edge you're basically sipping power.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Really happy with the deck so far. Mine only arrived yesterday so I've not done much - I haven't even used desktop mode at all yet - but everything I've tried has worked, at least after picking a community control scheme.

One thing I can't figure out is if there's any way to make the track pads more sensitive? Not clicking, which is what all the Google results seem to be about, but for moving the mouse cursor around.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Aguamoose posted:

Really happy with the deck so far. Mine only arrived yesterday so I've not done much - I haven't even used desktop mode at all yet - but everything I've tried has worked, at least after picking a community control scheme.

One thing I can't figure out is if there's any way to make the track pads more sensitive? Not clicking, which is what all the Google results seem to be about, but for moving the mouse cursor around.

Just edit the controller scheme and go to the trackpad section. You have a bunch of customization options available. You can set it to aggressive, or scroll down to custom and make it whatever you want.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."

Dramicus posted:

Just edit the controller scheme and go to the trackpad section. You have a bunch of customization options available. You can set it to aggressive, or scroll down to custom and make it whatever you want.

Cheers, didn't occur to me it would be game specific but it makes sense.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Aguamoose posted:

Cheers, didn't occur to me it would be game specific but it makes sense.

I think it's possible to save a general control scheme that you can apply to any game.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The deck is the most comfortable handheld I've ever used. They knocked that aspect out of the park.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I feel less comfortable when I don't have my deck in my hands.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Mozi posted:

mine's way above average in length :smug:

in waiting time to email

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kaddish posted:

The deck is the most comfortable handheld I've ever used. They knocked that aspect out of the park.

Yeah, it is. L1/R1 felt a little uncomfortably close at first with larger hands, but now I'm used to it and the controls feel great.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I have one super minor complaint with the build - where the top and bottom case shells meet on the left side there is like a 0.25mm alignment issue.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Does anyone else find the thumbsticks have way too much range of movement - like you have to press it further in any direction than other standard controllers? I haven't been enjoying that part of the controls at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kragger99 posted:

Does anyone else find the thumbsticks have way too much range of movement - like you have to press it further in any direction than other standard controllers? I haven't been enjoying that part of the controls at all.

Not really, though I prefer how they move vs something like the switch. So it may be personal preference.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The sticks have more range of motion than the default joycons on the switch, but about the same range of motion as the sticks on the Hori split pad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1532110443841327105

Oof, delayed again

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mozi posted:

Some Big Deck Energy in this thread.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unfortunately Valve prevents you from docking if you're showing your Deck to someone else.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I am huge dork. I just ordered custom 12"x5" mouse pads/desk mats so my steam dick would have a nice bed to sleep on at night

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sigher posted:

Some Big Deck Energy in this thread.

more than two handfuls is wasted

Bum the Sad posted:

I am huge dork. I just ordered custom 12"x5" mouse pads/desk mats so my steam dick would have a nice bed to sleep on at night

I went to check and turns out waterfield is already making steam deck cases that are "the switch ones but slightly bigger", if you're into really spoiling your dick

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I went to check and turns out waterfield is already making steam deck cases that are "the switch ones but slightly bigger", if you're into really spoiling your dick

Nice. I just wanted something scratch free and less slippery than an enamel side table that the Dick could rest on. I had been letting it chill in the case plugged in while installing stuff and updating but I realize the exhaust was just getting completely blocked while the fan was going. (Probably not a big deal for just downloading and installing but I didn’t like it.)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Bum the Sad posted:

You... uhhhh.... got a link?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

I picked up one of these USB hubs per thread recommendation and it works great. The HDMI adapter is ace.

Just a heads up that this adapter is limited to 4K@30Hz and 1080p@60Hz which is probably fine for the Deck but not ideal for a laptop with displays that have faster refresh rates.

I had bought 2 of those hubs, one for the Deck and the other for my laptop, plus a 100W USB-C charger so I only need the one USB-C port for charging the laptop while hooked up to my 4K monitor. The 100W adapter works great so I can ditch the proprietary power adapter but the frame rate limit really bugs me. I'm probably going to go ahead and return one of them and replace it with one that does do 4K@60Hz and has USB-PD.

TL:DR - Good for Deck, not so good for laptops and 4K displays & TVs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh gently caress yeah warerfield is my jam of stupid expensive purchases

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Genuine, honest question from someone who lives in a state who has largely been back to "normal" for over half a year now: why are the delays still so bad? Are other areas just that locked down still? Is it a shortage of actual supplies or workers?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Framboise posted:

Genuine, honest question from someone who lives in a state who has largely been back to "normal" for over half a year now: why are the delays still so bad? Are other areas just that locked down still? Is it a shortage of actual supplies or workers?

China has had major lockdowns recently, but even if the world was now running at full throttle, the global supply chain is still backed up from when everything was broken.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Framboise posted:

Quixzlizx posted:

China has had major lockdowns recently, but even if the world was now running at full throttle, the global supply chain is still backed up from when everything was broken.

In addition to this,

- everyone sticking their fingers in their ears and insisting "covid is really over for real" has kind of resulted in a whole lot of anecdotal "yeah I went to my bank/this fast food place/this random store/my airline flight and nobody was there and the sign on the door said everyone called out sick" and we're currently in the middle of like 3 concurrent different-variant waves depending on where you are

- Shipping container rates and delays are both still extremely elevated and, while coming back down ish, the above is probably going to make that pretty consistently bad for the foreseeable future since interruptions at any point along the way is going to keep on having continual ripple effects

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kwolok posted:

You... uhhhh.... got a link?

Sure bud just order from here

https://shop.x-raypad.com/shop/custom-mouse-pads-any-size/

Do a 12 inch long 5 inch wide and used my attached image (the deck is 11.7 x 4.6)

After you order it will give you an upload page.

They sent me an email with this a few hours later

It was $20 for two including shipping. $6 each and $7 shipping.

Oh and they take PayPal too so you don’t gotta worry about giving your CC info to Chinese randos.

I just used some online photo shop tool to make 12x5 300 dpi canvas then added a 5mm border for the fold over/cutting, added a black background and then pasted the inverted color steam logo dead center. Was very easy.

I googled the company and there were several positive Reddit posts so I felt pretty comfortable ordering. Also again PayPal safety net.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 2, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

In addition to this,

- everyone sticking their fingers in their ears and insisting "covid is really over for real" has kind of resulted in a whole lot of anecdotal "yeah I went to my bank/this fast food place/this random store/my airline flight and nobody was there and the sign on the door said everyone called out sick" and we're currently in the middle of like 3 concurrent different-variant waves depending on where you are

- Shipping container rates and delays are both still extremely elevated and, while coming back down ish, the above is probably going to make that pretty consistently bad for the foreseeable future since interruptions at any point along the way is going to keep on having continual ripple effects

This is pretty much why something like a steam deck dock is delayed, but also yes there are still production delays due to lack of workers. Lots of places had trouble staffing overnight shifts which puts a damper on manufacturing and food processing. Everyone has been following lean methodology so those kinds of interruptions cause massive, cascading bottlenecks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/JQeq0-7Rtjw

Ok so this is interesting and it does make the colors look better and I’m curious why we don’t have color control options.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Set the deck to 40hz 40fps, was very happy, later plugged my deck into a monitor and was Exceptionally Confused about why the game I launched was suddenly just Not Showing Up until I remembered the change I made, undocked it, swapped the power profile and plugged it back in.

Kind of makes me hope there's a point where we can explicilty remap the steam+button global hotkeys and a "swap to deck display only" option for it, both for this and the more general "having my deck plugged into the hub for power/network without having to manually unplug the HDMI cable when I don't want it on the screen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Framboise posted:

It turns out when you pretend that things are back to normal in the middle of a worldwide pandemic it doesn't mean things are actually back to normal. The majority of the world still doesn't have access to sufficient MRNA vaccines which means that they simply don't have sufficient vaccines, instead of having sufficient vaccines but a large minority population with a death drive who are propagandized against vaccines. China is still testing their own MRNA vaccine, for example, so large scale lockdowns brutally enforced are the only method they have of barely controlling the spread, thus every outbreak means 2-4 weeks of not making Steam Docks.