Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

*slurps mouth off of dick*

What?!

Obligatory

Invisible Clergy posted:

Help! My Mom Wants to Steal Her Ex-Boyfriend’s Ashes.

(added line break)

I would watch this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Help! My Mom Wants to Steal Her Ex-Boyfriend’s Ashes.

(added line break)

I say go for it, you don't get a heist opportunity like that every day.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't the minimum SSA benefit $950/month? It's a pittance, but that's at least rent, utilities, and food if you're not tied to an urban area for work.
i live in a town with a population around 10,000 in a rural area and the cheapest rent in town is over $1,200 as of 2022 lol

of course this was driven up by people who work in new york city (which is at least three hours away ftr. we are not anywhere near nyc) and telecommuted during the first two years of the pandemic so an urban area still influenced it but we are not the urban area and people from this rural area who have always lived in this rural area are now turbofucked, while living in the rural area, so lol

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for walking out on dinner with my parents and causing them to fall out?

quote:

I (M23) am bisexual. I came out to my parents when I was 16. I was worried about my dad, as he is quite religious, but he took it surprisingly well. Mum, however, said bisexuality wasn’t real, told me that it was either a phase, or a stepping stone towards me coming out as fully gay, which she also wasn’t happy about. We argued for a while, before I realised I was talking to a wall, and we dropped it.

When I was 18 I moved out for uni and met a girl called Ava. We hit it off instantly and dated for 2 years. Mum adored Ava, we went out a lot as a family, the two of them even did things without me and dad. Over time the spark died and we both felt it, so we decided to stay friends. It was amicable, we still love each other, just not romantic. Mum was devastated, spent a long time trying to convince Ava to take me back, scolded me for driving her away (because of course it was my fault).

Around a year later, Ava introduced me to her friend Joel at a party. It was obvious what she was doing, she basically pushed us together and sprinted away, but Joel was cute, so I didn’t complain. We danced around the romantic thing for a long time, both too chicken to make a move in case it messed up our friendship, but looking back, friends don’t hold hands or kiss each other on the cheek as much as we did. Ava calls us idiots to this day. We've been together for almost 3 years and live together, and I'm confident he's the one I want to grow old with. Dad loves Joel, but mum hasn't really given him a chance. She's civil, but it's clear she isn't happy with me dating a guy.

Last week mum invited us over for dinner. Joel was excited, and I thought maybe she was making an effort. I got a text from Ava on the day, saying my mum invited her, and asking if I was aware. I said no, and she decided not to go in case mum tried to get us back together in front of Joel.

When we showed up, mum was in a foul mood. After a tense hour, mum asked why I forced Ava not to come. I assured her I did no such thing, Ava is a close friend of both me and Joel, and it was her decision. I asked why she invited Ava in the first place, and mum said she "just wants what's best for me", then not-so-subtly glared at Joel. I saw red, unloaded all of my pent up feelings about how she's never gave him a fair chance, and how she assumes Ava was better for me just because she's a girl. She told me that I'd never be happy with Joel when I could be in a "normal relationship", and it got silent. I saw Joel start to tear up, so I took his hand and left.

That night, dad showed up with a duffel bag, said he and my mum had argued when we left, and has been staying in our guest room since. He still hasn't spoke to mum. Everyone on mum's side of the family is calling me selfish and immature for causing this rift. I feel guilty, because I ultimately caused this with my outburst and bad communication, and I can tell Joel blames himself. I don't know what to do. So AITA for letting things reach this stage?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pomme de Terror posted:

Everyone on mum's side of the family is calling me selfish and immature for causing this rift.

They're idiots

I feel guilty, because I ultimately caused this with my outburst and bad communication,

Really incorrect

and I can tell Joel blames himself.

He shouldn't

I don't know what to do.

Appreciate your dad for standing up against your mother's bigotry, love your boyfriend

So AITA for letting things reach this stage?

no

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

dad good, so what

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Pomme de Terror posted:

I'm not really sure what OP did that caused the rift, or what he thinks he should--or even could--have done to prevent his parents fighting, other than break up with Joel and get back with Ava, which obviously no one wants besides the mom. Is that what the family calling him "selfish" thinks he should do?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pomme de Terror posted:

Since Ava was in on it, have her choose Joel and leave op all alone to tear into mommy dearest.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Beachcomber posted:

Since Ava was in on it, have her choose Joel and leave op all alone to tear into mommy dearest.

?? Ava figured out the Mom's play and refused to play along. There's no indication that Ava did anything wrong at any point.

Also cheers for this good dad who chose his son over preaching and his wife's meddling.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
dassa good dadde

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Help! My Husband Picks Up Hitchhikers and Is Going to Get Us All Killed.

quote:

My husband is an incredible man, and has a huge heart. However, he has on several occasions picked up hitchhikers on the side of the road and given them rides to wherever they need to go. He thinks it it no big deal, and that it is, in fact, his duty to help people in need. This is my dilemma. I am much more wary of strangers and have heard countless horror stories over the years, which I feel back me up. He thinks I am being paranoid and cites that nothing bad has happened yet. I have forbidden him from doing this with our son in the car, but this has not stopped him from doing this with his young sister or his elderly grandmother with him. He even gave a ride to three men at once! Outnumbered! Maybe these travelers are harmless or in trouble, but what if they are armed or dangerous? I think he is too naïve, and he thinks I am cold-hearted. Who is right?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Uncle Enzo posted:

?? Ava figured out the Mom's play and refused to play along. There's no indication that Ava did anything wrong at any point.

Also cheers for this good dad who chose his son over preaching and his wife's meddling.

No no, I'm saying pull a prank on mom. Ava's there, mom says some poo poo, Ava swoons over Joel, they leave theatrically.

Edit: throwing glitter

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Invisible Clergy posted:

The world would be a better place if hitchhiking became reasonable again.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

LOL. I wouldn’t do this with my wife or kids in the car but pre-pandemic if I was on a long solo drive I pretty much always picked up hitchhikers that were going my direction during the daylight. Most people thumbing it are not out to rob or kill you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

What do you mean by reasonable?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Beachcomber posted:

Rather, if the world were a better place, then hitchhiking would be reasonable again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cool Dad posted:

The only gay test that means anything is to see if you like having sex with men (if you're male) and not with women. If so, you're probably gay.

I think one could probably enjoy having sex with a dude, as a dude, and still not be gay.

Society makes a big deal about straight people being repulsed by same-sex relations, but I suspect that's more dogma than anything inherent to being straight. That being true, and the mechanics of sex being demonstrably pleasurable even if you're doing it with a rubber sleeve, a pillow or your hand it seems like a bad test.

I would think being attracted to men as a man would be the best indicator that you are gay.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Better than what? Violent crime is lower that it has been since sometime in the 1960s.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

thotsky posted:

I would think being attracted to men as a man would be the best indicator that you are gay.

therobit posted:

Better than what? Violent crime is lower that it has been since sometime in the 1960s.

Having these two posts one after another was weird.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for locking my fridge because my roommate kept putting dead mice in there?
AmItheAsshole Original (deleted)

quote:

When my roommate and I moved in together we each had our own fridge that we brought with us. Mine was a newer one so we put it in the kitchen and each store our food in it.

My roommate kept his fridge and keeps it in the garage to store his animals food. My roommate owns a lot of reptiles and they eat things like deceased mice. He keeps a whole lot of frozen animals in there because he buys them in bulk.

His fridge broke though so he got a cooler which he started to fill with ice from my fridge, but my fridge doesn’t make enough ice so he had to go out and buy some. Then he had someone come over and look at the fridge and see if he could get it fixed.

A little while later after the handyman left I went to the freezer and found it stuffed with some suspicious looking packages. I opened one. They were his dead mice. I told my roommate he needed to take out all the packages. My roommate told me he doesn’t have any money to buy a freezer right now and he actually had to cancel a bunch of services because he’s pretty broke right now. He asked to keep them in there because if they go bad he won’t be able to buy more food for his animals right now either.

I told him I wasn’t comfortable with that and asked him to continue using the cooler until he found another option. He said the ice melted really quickly because it’s so hot and he can’t afford to keep going out and buying more ice and the mice might go bad if they’re not kept cold enough.

After I asked him to move them again he refused to. So I told him I was going to take them out, so I did and put the mice back in the cooler again. The wiped down the freezer.

A little while ago I went to the kitchen and on a hunch opened the freezer and the mice were back in there. I was pretty pissed this time so after I put them all back in the cooler and wiped the freezer down again I got my bike lock and put it through the handles on the fridge.

My roommate came and confronted me and told me to unlock it. I told him I would unlock it if he wanted to get any food for himself, but he wasn’t putting those mice back in my fridge around my food.

He said I was being a dick and that they were completely sealed.

I told him I don’t care if they’re completely sealed I don’t want dead mice in my fridge.

He then said I have dead animals in there anyway. But to me having packaged meat from the super market is very different than having full rodents with hair, feet, and faces in the fridge.

Now he’s saying that if the mice go bad then his reptiles are going to starve and it will all be my fault because I’m being a baby for being squeamish about having mice in my fridge.

Update: So right after I posted my roommate threw a not so sealed package of mice at me. While still covered in mice water I went straight over to talk to my landlord to see about ending lease early because there’s not way I want to live with this guy anymore. My landlord wanted to know why. I told him what happened and apparently he didn’t know my roommate had so many animals and he hasn’t paid any pet fees, so he’s not exactly happy. He did say that tomorrow we could talk about me moving into one of the one bedroom units though. Hopefully I can move soon.

Update 2: Roommate ended up taking all his bags of mice over to one of his friends house late last night, so I unlocked the fridge so he could access his food without me.

Also got on the phone with landlord to talk about me changing units. He says that a one bedroom will be available by the end of the week, which is a big relief.

I told my roommate I was leaving at the end of the week. He asked was if I was taking my fridge with me. I am because the other unit doesn’t have a fridge either. He got mad again I should leave it because it means he won’t have a fridge for his food that is currently stored in my fridge and it will go bad too. There’s no way I want to leave my fridge here because he’ll just put the mice in it again and it will leave me without a fridge, but I’m a little more conflicted. I’m thinking of offering to continue to store his food in my fridge in my new apartment, but I’m not sure I really want to interact with this guy anymore after I leave.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Agents are GO! posted:

Having these two posts one after another was weird.

Be gay, do crimes?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thotsky posted:

I think one could probably enjoy having sex with a dude, as a dude, and still not be gay.

Society makes a big deal about straight people being repulsed by same-sex relations, but I suspect that's more dogma than anything inherent to being straight. That being true, and the mechanics of sex being demonstrably pleasurable even if you're doing it with a rubber sleeve, a pillow or your hand it seems like a bad test.

Bisexuality is a thing :shrug:

but yeah, this was more or less how people viewed things for most of recorded history, also known as the "a hole's a hole" theory of sexuality

obviously exclusively homosexual people have always existed, but for most people homo sex was not really viewed as a competitor or replacement for hetero sex

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

thotsky posted:

Theoretically true, but if someone was regularly seeking out men to have sex with and still insist he was straight because he wasn't attracted to them, that would raise more than a few eyebrows.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Cloacamazing! posted:

Theoretically true, but if someone was regularly seeking out men to have sex with and still insist he was straight because he wasn't attracted to them, that would raise more than a few eyebrows.

Oh no this is just the fastest way to get laid on grindr

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Invisible Clergy posted:

Petulantly starving animals and being a narc, yeah buddy you are indeed the rear end in a top hat

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

Oh no this is just the fastest way to get laid on grindr

A valid point.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baronjutter posted:

People who eat spicy food they hate because it makes them feel macho or whatever are similar to folks who will drink alcohol they don't actually like the taste of for similar reasons. Please, I'm begging you, if you think a drink is so gross and icky that you have to drink it as a "shot" and then quickly lick something to get the icky yucky taste out of your mouth just drink something you like instead? And leave the stuff you don't like to people who will actually enjoy the taste?

My "I ate food that was way too spicy for me and continued doing so" story is very similar to the OP's but without any tantrums or dates.

I, and my brother, are half Indian. And as such have a chip on our shoulders about how we can handle spicy foods better than "white" people. A mate of mine loves his spicy foods, and found an Indian restaurant near him and eventually had the chef making him stupidly hot extra extra extra spicy curries that normal people couldn't order off the menu.

Well he tells me about this, and braggadociacal arsehole that I am, I say "Pfft, I am half Indian. That will be a piece of piss for me." So he invites me and my brother out for a curry at this place.

Well it was, (and I choose my words very carefully here), motherfucking spicy. Properly hot. But my brother and I looked at each other, and just kept eating it, whilst tears were forming in our eyes, and my mate laughed at us. I was not going to be beaten by a bloody curry. Proving that "I'm X ethnicity, I can handle spicy food", means nothing when there is a chef prepared to gently caress with you for laughs.

The difference between that and the OP's story is, this is a funny story that my brother and I tell amongst ourselves. We admitted it was too hot for us, and there was no shame in it. As opposed to chucking a tantrum over an imagined slight to our fragile egos. Nor did we blame my friend for our discomfort. We said we could handle spicy foods, so all the pain was our own drat fault.

The guy OP went on a date with is a sooky baby. And not for not being able to handle spicy food. For getting his ego hurt and getting pissy about it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for leaving my date stranded at the restaurant

quote:

My (28F) friend set me up with her brother (29M) saying that we had a lot in common. An hour before we were to meet at the restaurant he texted me saying his car wouldn’t start, would I feel comfortable picking him up? I said sure, I picked him up and we get to the restaurant. When we sit he tried to order for me (a hard no), he was rude to our waitress and he had the attitude that he was better than everyone else there. All he talked about was how much money he made and how important his job was. Overall, it was just a poo poo date.

When we were finishing up the waitress asked how we’d like our check and I said separate, he didn’t like that. He said that he was paying and then we’d “Go to your place to have fun. “ Again a hard no. I told him no, I’m not bringing him to my house and I was paying for myself. He started getting really angry, said that I should be thankful that he took me out because he can do better. I just gave the waitress my portion and her tip and thanked her for putting up with him and walked out. He started yelling that the least I can do is drive him home since I wasn’t gonna let him “hit it” 🙄. He hadn’t paid yet so a waiter near by told him he couldn’t leave yet and I walked out and went home.

His sister, my friend, that set us up called me a bitch because she had to go get him (she lives 30 minutes away).I told her what happened and she agreed that he was an AH but I should have still brought him home because she had to bring her 2yo with her and it was late at night. Our group is torn. Was I an AH or did I do the right thing?

Added para breaks. What I don't understand is, if this dude is making bank, why couldn't he just get an Uber if they're a thing where they were?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Uncle Enzo posted:

She already lived with him in his van and it didn't work. He only wants a relationship if they live in the van. She suggested looking into a place, he flipped out. Done. Why is this chick still thinking about a relationship with him. They're not compatible the end

Some r/r poster present their problems like a puzzle out of an old-style text adventure: yeah, okay, I know the situation seems impossible but maybe someone will tell me the solution is to give the monkey this apple so it will run away, knocking over the lamp, which means I can now move the bookcase and use it to reach the key which I can use to unlock the safe containing toothbrush which ...

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Invisible Clergy posted:

I’m thinking of offering to continue to store his food in my fridge in my new apartment

Lol. Just when I thought I was out, i pull him back in!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cloacamazing! posted:

Possibly, but to which I counter, so what? Let dude identify how he pleases, there’s no such thing as stealing straight valor.

In the inverse scenario where a guy exclusively pursues women but identifies as gay I’d be a little wary, but I wouldn’t pick a fight over that either, unless he was using it as cover for some other, creepier behavior, in which case the creepiness would be the actual problem.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Willow posted:

Added para breaks. What I don't understand is, if this dude is making bank, why couldn't he just get an Uber if they're a thing where they were?

Yes, drive home the angry, aggressive man who is going to try and have sex with you whether you want to or not.

What could possibly go wrong?

And I am just ever so slightly suspicious that his car not starting was also part of his "cunning plan".

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Evil Willow posted:

One thing I still don't get is when it is ever the done thing to order for someone else? Unless they've specifically asked it seems like the equivalent of telling someone 'sit there and shut up'.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

the real rear end in a top hat here is the "friend" for trying to set up OP with this disgusting motherfucker. also for suggesting she has a lot in common with a guy who seems to think he's entitled to date rape

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

One thing I still don't get is when it is ever the done thing to order for someone else? Unless they've specifically asked it seems like the equivalent of telling someone 'sit there and shut up'.

There are certain high-end restaurants that have both menus with prices and menus without, and if a man and a woman visit one together, only the man gets the prices menu.

It is very much a thing among sexists and business with a sexist clientele.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

There was no guarantee the uber driver would be a woman. This man needed to establish his alpha male status on some poor lady that night and his sister was the next best thing.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, drive home the angry, aggressive man who is going to try and have sex with you whether you want to or not.

What could possibly go wrong?

And I am just ever so slightly suspicious that his car not starting was also part of his "cunning plan".

C'mon man, "cumming plan" was right there! ;)

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Invisible Clergy posted:

AmiYumi posted:

Petulantly starving animals and being a narc, yeah buddy you are indeed the rear end in a top hat

Counterpoint: it is rear end in a top hat behaviour to put dead feeder mice in the same fridge as food meant for human consumption without discussing this with everyone else who is using the fridge. It is also rear end in a top hat behaviour to respond to a polite "Hey, please don't put the mice in the fridge for human food, use the cooler you got specifically for that purpose" with "if you think about it, beef and chicken are Dead Animals too, so it's awfully hypocritical of you to not be okay with frozen mice".

And it is absolutely rear end in a top hat behaviour to throw a bag of frozen mice at your roommate because you're upset that you've been thwarted from putting frozen mice in the fridge.

OP is, perhaps, squeamish. But it's not unreasonable to go "Yeah, no dead mice in the same fridge as the food I eat" and the animals aren't being deprived of food because of this; the roommate has a cooler, and had a fridge of their own that just needs repairs.

Plus, it's not necessarily narcing; it isn't unreasonable to have assumed that the landlord would know about the pets and the roommate would have followed the proper procedure for keeping the pets in the apartment. And OP wasn't even going "hey, I want the pets gone", they just want to not share living space with someone who throws things at them.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I absolutely love this story!

First date was interesting to say the least.

quote:

I am 30m and I had a date with 30F.

We met online and I initiated a date to a local restaurant. Today she texted me and told me she was having car trouble so either I could pick her up or we would reschedule. I had already made the reservations so I just figured I'd pick her up. Though I was surprised that she would trust me like that so quick because I don't even trust people like that to know where I live when I don't know them for real.

She sent me the address and it was out in the sticks. The drive out there was a little creepy. I hadn't seen even the slightest sign of civilization in miles I'm talking backwoods like they probably filmed a horror movie here middle of nowhere.

So I finally pull up and her place has a fence around it that looks like the jurassic park fence. First thought what kind of job do you have to have to build a fence that tall? ( she is a veterinarian BTW, I asked) Second thought what is she trying to keep in there?

So gate opens and I go through and down a dirt road for like half a mile and finally pull up to a house that is pretty normal looking. The yard looks pretty normal. I saw some dog toys and she has a vegetable garden. Lots of flowers so I'm thinking okay maybe this is alright. Fence thing is a little overkill but whatever. She asks me to come in a minute while she grabs her stuff and there were 3 whole rear end wolves laying on the drat couch. WOLVES!!!!

One growled at me and she ( while putting on an ear ring) yelled Charlotte Anne we do not growl at the guests. SHE YELLED AT A WOLF!! and it just sat down but kept staring at me.

So I'm already like what in the actual gently caress did I get myself into and if I run I know that that thing will catch me so be cool, be cool.

Anyway we went on the date as scheduled and she was a blast. It was the best date I've ever been on and I want to see her again but she has loving wolves on her drat couch. How the gently caress do you even get a wolf? I don't think you can get that at an animal shelter. Idk.

I want to see her again she is awesome but I'm feeling pretty inadequate. Also the whole wolf thing.

Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The roommate shouldn’t have all those pets if he can’t afford a $300 freezer ( let’s be honest he could get a cheaper one used) to store the food in. I hope his reptiles feed on his flesh.