Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I love Arceus because it gives me something to do with the hundreds of pokemon I capture. Getting those little checkmarks on each type of pokemon is fun to do, it means I actually use all the pokemon I catch/evolve rather than get one, throw and evolution stone at it then store it in a box for the rest of its life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When does the normal E3 stuff happen, mid June? I assume that's when we'll be getting a direct and treehouse whatever.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I always associate June 6-10 with E3, but I don’t know if those dates correct or not.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003245

June 2nd-13th

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

E3 is where the heart is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Morpheus posted:

I love Arceus because it gives me something to do with the hundreds of pokemon I capture. Getting those little checkmarks on each type of pokemon is fun to do, it means I actually use all the pokemon I catch/evolve rather than get one, throw and evolution stone at it then store it in a box for the rest of its life.

I think it had good parts, the per-Pokémon achievements were cool, catching and fighting was fun, but the world felt like a boring turd. Also the story sucked and too much was locked behind it. I dreaded finishing an area because it meant I had to read the worst dialog to unlock another.

“The slowpoke got mad when you bashed it with a rock.”

“That must mean..”

!!!

“Slowpoke doesn’t LIKE being bashed with a rock!”

“Please go over there now to report this to another guy!”

I went in hoping for something where I could see a mountain in the distance and want to go explore it to see what Pokémon were there, not have a guy go “I think it’s time you teleported to mount snow-Pokémon! Be careful, there are snow Pokémon there!”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pokemon is a game for actual children and if you aren't a child and you're playing a Pokemon game then you should expect the game to treat you like a child.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some Pokémon games are good as an adult though. I played Sapphire for the first time ever last year and had a very good time. Mudkip was my dude.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arceus was fun but I wasn’t a huge fan of how few trainer battles there were. The new games will probably be better in this area though since they’re mainline entries.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

American McGay posted:

Pokemon is a game for actual children and if you aren't a child and you're playing a Pokemon game then you should expect the game to treat you like a child.

kirby was created for kids who found mario bros too hard

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Okay surely THIS one will be the open world 3D Pokémon I’ve been envisioning since the N64

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ive been playing pokemon tcg for gbc and it owns sorry

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't wait for them to announce Pokemon ScarVi will also include an English localization of Mother 3.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mega64 posted:

The problem is there's too much of the other extreme, where people are constantly complaining about everything Pokemon and how poo poo the recent games are. There are definitely flaws for sure, and Game Freak does cheap out considering how much money the franchise pulls in, but god drat, there's a reason I don't read the Pokemon thread here, it's just so loving miserable.

This is where I'm at with it. I enjoyed my time with Arceus, but the constant negativity in the thread here is just exhausting. :( I just want to play the cute monster collecting game.

I am hype for Violet and Scarlet, particularly if it takes ideas from Arceus and expands on them!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sad Panda posted:

I got up to 96% in Kirby. I've got all 300 Waddle Dees, 300 pieces of Leon's soul, all of level 1-3 figurines, maxed out stage, all blueprints fully evolved.

I can only really think of the final cup in the colloseum. Seems a lot to be 4% (I know it'll unlock some figurines & movies) but it must be enough unless I've got to meet target times on treasure road or upgrade the weapons fully (which seems like it'd take a few hours of colloseum grinding).

Everything that counts towards completion awards a figurine. For all the non-gacha/random drop figurines, you can highlight the empty slot on the figurine screen and press A to find out how to unlock it. I think you're on the money with your speculation, though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

dr.acula posted:

Ive been playing pokemon tcg for gbc and it owns sorry
I never got into the card games but I remember thinking the art in that game was really slick. Hope they put it on the NSO Gameboy service that's definitely getting announced at the E3 Nintendo Direct next week.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the M rated Pokemon game we've been waiting for

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rolo posted:

I think it had good parts, the per-Pokémon achievements were cool, catching and fighting was fun, but the world felt like a boring turd. Also the story sucked and too much was locked behind it. I dreaded finishing an area because it meant I had to read the worst dialog to unlock another.

“The slowpoke got mad when you bashed it with a rock.”

“That must mean..”

!!!

“Slowpoke doesn’t LIKE being bashed with a rock!”

“Please go over there now to report this to another guy!”

I went in hoping for something where I could see a mountain in the distance and want to go explore it to see what Pokémon were there, not have a guy go “I think it’s time you teleported to mount snow-Pokémon! Be careful, there are snow Pokémon there!”

So, just as good as other Pokemon stories.

But I understand your gripe about the world being that way. I knew exactly what it was when I started playing it, after hearing complaints about it so it didn't really let me down.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i hope it takes the ideas from arceus and throws them in the trash. love to play a game consisting entirely of filling out checklists :D

sword and shield were great though so i have hope for this as a mainline entry

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

i hope it takes the ideas from arceus and throws them in the trash. love to play a game consisting entirely of filling out checklists :D

My dude you are talking about a game where the literal main purpose is to check every creature off a list as you capture them

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I tried a Pokémon rom hack that was supposed to be good and in the first ten minutes an npc cussed at me so I immediately stopped playing and decided that Nintendo knows best.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Game freak should just give up on modern AAA production values (which they are bad at) and make pixel art games again. Everyone likes pixel art; pixel art indie games sell 8 billion copies in total each day. This is a great idea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good pixel art is way better than mediocre 3d polygon poo poo

I think the game design is a bigger problem than the graphics quality though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pokemon games would get 100 metascore if they stuck with the Gen V aesthetic and had a “I am a grown-rear end adult who still plays Pokemon” button that skips all the tutorials

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also would solve world hunger and end all the wars

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Split the difference;

HD-2D Pokemon.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Honestly surprised they didn't do that with the remakes already

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I tried a Pokémon rom hack that was supposed to be good and in the first ten minutes an npc cussed at me so I immediately stopped playing and decided that Nintendo knows best.

The bootleg version of Crystal where they translated it from Japanese to Vietnamese and then into English?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
A Pokemon game with Octopath graphics would be certifiably tight.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Morpheus posted:

My dude you are talking about a game where the literal main purpose is to check every creature off a list as you capture them

Me, feeding my starter and the two other pokemon I caught that I'll use for the rest of the game some delicious curry and having a good time: nah

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

flavor.flv posted:

The bootleg version of Crystal where they translated it from Japanese to Vietnamese and then into English?

My guess is Pokemon Snakewood.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there was a large stretch of pokémon games where i just didn't care much for the art style of the new pokémons and that's like half the fun of the games but swsh had the best new designs since gen 1 and i am excited for the new one :dogcited:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Demonstrably untrue.

Gen VII came between generations I and VIII

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Demonstrably untrue.

Gen VII came between generations I and VIII

you know that's fair, sun/moon is what got me into pokémon again and it is absolutely filled with cute and good friends

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My favourite pokemon is the one who was supposed to be based on veteran Japanese actor Beat Takeshi because it follows his movie career and evolves from a delinquent teen into a hardboiled detective, but it accidentally came out looking like if donald trump was a literal weasel

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

this is my prediction:

the next pokemon will be very good

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

My favourite pokemon is the one who was supposed to be based on veteran Japanese actor Beat Takeshi because it follows his movie career and evolves from a delinquent teen into a hardboiled detective, but it accidentally came out looking like if donald trump was a literal weasel

May I see the Pokemon?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fun Times! posted:

May I see the Pokemon?

Only because you asked nicely

I just feel so bad for it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Changes I like in Arceus:
Throwing balls at Pokemon in real time without necessarily having to battle them
Streamlined moveset the gives more useful moves early and cuts out a bunch of poo poo like growl that literally nobody ever used
The skybox god drat that's a good skybox how are the graphics so bad but I've of the best skyboxes I've ever seen
Crafting system

Keep those, forget the rest

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Changes I like in Arceus:
Throwing balls at Pokemon in real time without necessarily having to battle them
Streamlined moveset the gives more useful moves early and cuts out a bunch of poo poo like growl that literally nobody ever used
The skybox god drat that's a good skybox how are the graphics so bad but I've of the best skyboxes I've ever seen
Crafting system

Keep those, forget the rest

I'll add to that: ride Pokemon being instant summons, and being able to swap between them quickly and easily.

And the ride Pokemon in general, really. I had a great time just tooling around the countryside on the back of my deer friend "boing boing boing boing boing!"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
does anyone have that gif of the pokemon-like game with the sweatshop gun factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's called Palworld.