Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

Oh I've always maintained nothing will happen criminally with what I've seen so far, but uh if they have that evidence he might get got because yeaaaah

Here's hoping. This isn't someone who should be in a position to continue abusing.

More likely than anything (other than him wriggling out of this), he ends up settling and getting suspensions.

I wonder if the league saw the craven salary cap hit this year and are waiting until next season to start suspending him. That's the kind of pettiness that I'd expect from the league office & wouldn't hate doing that here. He should just be on the loving exempt list, but that's just my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think the only times I've ever really noticed announcers are Dennis Miller, Tony Romo giving actual interesting insights, and whatever piece of human garbage was fellating Matt Ryan saying things like "I wish I had a DVD of all his throws to watch" in a game against the Ravens when Roddy White kept committing uncalled opi

cmon, you remember kevin harlan calling the ravens/bengals game where lamar jackson broke everyones ankles

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1532069467659845632

On the last year of his current deal. Would've made $9m this year and has another $6m in prorated bonuses the Steelers could claw back I think.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 1, 2022

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think the only times I've ever really noticed announcers are Dennis Miller, Tony Romo giving actual interesting insights, and whatever piece of human garbage was fellating Matt Ryan saying things like "I wish I had a DVD of all his throws to watch" in a game against the Ravens when Roddy White kept committing uncalled opi

I remember that game. We scored too fast at the end and let them right down the field.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That is why the best teams always score slowly.

Or have good defenses, but more importantly the former part.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Ravens current playoff philosophy is not to score at all and I'm not sure I agree with it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So any chance in hell Aaron Donald really retires?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Rams have telegraphed they'll pay him pretty hard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I assume he retires once the Rams finally go on the downturn, with McVay probably following a year or two later.

But might as well stick around while he's still getting paid and the Rams are one of the three good teams in the NFC. He's a lock for the Hall of Fame, but hell, why not add to that legacy and maybe even get a fourth DPotY on top of that?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Why do people keep saying McVay is going to retire soon? He’s like 35 right? Why would he?

I legitimately asking because it’s not the first time I’ve heard it and I didn’t understand it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Because he himself made jokes about it and suggested he "wouldnt make it" if he was still coaching at 60 prior to this years Super Bowl

He also joked he'll probably be on the sidelines at 61 so there's no use reading anything into it but the content treadmill demands sacrifices

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eifert Posting posted:

The Rams have telegraphed they'll pay him pretty hard.

Well not hard enough for the moment apparently.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why do people keep saying McVay is going to retire soon? He’s like 35 right? Why would he?

I legitimately asking because it’s not the first time I’ve heard it and I didn’t understand it.

When the Rams Super Bowl window is closed, he’ll have $10-15m per year waiting for him in the booth for like a tenth the effort.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Gruden could have printed money for the rest of his life if he hadn't been convinced to get back into coaching. As is he'll just have to settle for the, what, 40 to 60 million the Raiders paid him?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Gruden could have printed money for the rest of his life if he hadn't been convinced to get back into coaching. As is he'll just have to settle for the, what, 40 to 60 million the Raiders paid him?

Minus whatever he's going to be paying lawyers to sue some of the richest people on the planet until they break down and settle (which will be a sad day for all of us gossipers when nothing juicy comes out of it), so that's a short term pain in the rear end for him.

But he's gonna be fine whatever happens.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So any chance in hell Aaron Donald really retires?

I mean he’s in the conversation for best player in the league like every year, and now he has a ring. He’s as “nothing left to prove” as it gets so I could see him deciding it’s not worth beating his body and brain to poo poo anymore.

On the other hand, dump trucks full of money for as long as he wants them.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

When the Rams Super Bowl window is closed, he’ll have $10-15m per year waiting for him in the booth for like a tenth the effort.

Tomlin has this same deal and keeps coaching.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Some people just love to coach

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Tomlin has this same deal and keeps coaching.

So did Cowher and never looked back

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Eifert Posting posted:

I have it on good authority it’s impossible to determine the value of his contract, even in retrospect.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/1532125465472815106

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Aw, man. I used to love watching him run. Nobody could make a 4 yard run look as violent.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

gently caress

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Dude was one of the few Cowboys RBs that ever deserved his reputation. He was impossible to square up because he'd just constantly be fighting and thrashing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ah man what the gently caress :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Greatest short run

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeacefulHonoredHogget-mobile.mp4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm loving gutted. He's part of the reason I was able to find football entertaining again. Dude was a battering ram.

Though in hindsight I guess that's how we got here.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

The Greatest short run

His everlasting highlight should be of him running out of bounds with the Bears giving Tebow enough time to pull a comevack out of his rear end

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: ^^--oh yeah it was that

This and allowing Tim Tebow to beat the Bears are the two things I remember about Marion Barber, but JFC that's way too young.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Clicking through to the article he was apparently in pretty bad shape mentally.

quote:

Barber was arrested in 2019 on two misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief over a 2018 incident where he was alleged to have damaged two cars by while he was running in Frisco.

According to KXAS Channel 5, the two incidents occurred in 2018, in which a witness alleged that Barber charged toward their vehicle, causing large dents to the side of their cars.

Roughly a year ago, former Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant wrote on Twitter that he couldn’t even enjoy watching old highlights of Barber because he knew he was down and out bad:

“As I watch this video and me knowing exactly how Marion barber life is going right now today is why I built @personalcorner .... I can’t even enjoy it because he’s down and out bad...we are just a stat and moments to most people...” Bryant posted on Twitter.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Grittybeard posted:

Clicking through to the article he was apparently in pretty bad shape mentally.

Awful news about Barber, but respect to Dez for getting in a plug for his NFT grift while lamenting his former teammate’s plight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Holy poo poo that's sad

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I doubt anyone will be shocked if he has CTE. lovely way to go.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Holy poo poo, that’s a great run. Sorry he ended up in a rough place.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1532195896435392519?s=21&t=KxC3fDszQyNuao6C02pNMw

Schefter burner

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Marion Barber, who was past his prime at 38...

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

like wtf. who cares how many td he had..

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

That is why the best teams always score slowly.

Or have good defenses, but more importantly the former part.

That situation was we were down most of the game but then with a minute left scored a TD. Which was great. The problem was the winning pass play was scored on 2nd down when the Falcons still had a timeout left. We absolutely needed to try one more running play before taking shots into the end zone. Because of this we left the Falcons with a timeout left on only a one-point lead, making it way easier for them to call plays on their last drive. Losing that timeout would have let us basically play prevent and probably just outright win or force them to try a 60+ yard FG or hail mary.

You can argue that maybe 2nd down was the right time to go for the TD as maybe the Falcons were thinking we would run. But I don't think this is worth it in this situation because the Ravens lead was only going to be one point. If the Ravens had been ahead by 3 or more points I might agree with this line of thinking. But in this situation the right thing was absolutely to run straight ahead one more time on 2nd and 8 from the Falcons 9, and then take shots and hope you can get in. Even if that makes the TD slightly harder, it puts the Falcons in a much more difficult position once they get the ball back.

This was a huge game because if we had won it we would have won the AFC North and gotten a bye and not had to go up to Pittsburgh in the playoffs where we had always lost up to that point. And lost once again, blowing a great start.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Joey Freshwater posted:

The main reason he gave is he just got married this summer and he doesn't want to be coaching while his hypothetical future kids grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's using the Billick strategy: you win one early on then the pressure is on and they'll run you out of town sooner. That's what Billick said after he won his SB. Then when we did run him out of town he didn't bother coming back to coaching and just became a commentator for an easier gig instead of always trying to live back up to that SB win.