Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

The coupon only came out in the email today. My assumption would be that this halfway sale didn't do as well as they were expecting so they're trying to entice people to buy more before the sale ends tonight.

With the Thriller selling out and some of the recent slips (and Tiger Claws) selling out, I think the coupon is more likely geared towards getting rid of some of the older titles. There are a lot with 1-5 hundred left.

Also buy Putney Swope if you don't own it. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

The coupon only came out in the email today. My assumption would be that this halfway sale didn't do as well as they were expecting so they're trying to entice people to buy more before the sale ends tonight.
Well, it worked, because I tried to add Nightmare Weekend to my order but it was one penny short of the $20 needed for the coupon to work, so I had to go ahead and get The Laughing Dead, too.

Well played, VS.

edit: And I'll use the $10 during Partners Month on either Wicked World or whatever the next Saturn's Core release is (come on, Twisted Issues).

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 30, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Looks like Last Crusade standalone and Child’s Play UHDs are coming. I really hate how much I enjoy looking at Blu-Ray.com and seeing that stuff pop up!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m cursed in the films I want and can afford don’t have slipcase editions anymore and that’s half the fun with VS, and the ones I want like Miami Connection are so new they’re still super expensive even with the sale and the $5 coupon. Boo.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Child’s Play UHDs are coming.
1, 2, and 3 coming in August from Shout Factory, extras TBA. If you preorder on their website they have a bundle of all three plus two exclusive posters and alternate slipcovers for 2 and 3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Looks like Last Crusade standalone and Child’s Play UHDs are coming. I really hate how much I enjoy looking at Blu-Ray.com and seeing that stuff pop up!

I definitely start to obsessively check their release calendar during this stretch, because I'm looking ahead to October. Candyman 4k was released this week, and we've already got Dog Soldiers, Species, Tenebrae, The Funhouse, Event Horizon, Child's Play and Friday the 13th on the calendar for the next few months. And that's without knowing what's on the slate yet for most of September/October.

Edit: Child's Play 2 UHD is HUGE news for me, even more so than the first one

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 30, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I solved the mystery of that Batman collection with "I'm Batman" on it. It's part of a bunch of releases of bluray movie collections with matching slipcovers with quotes on them. There's a Lethal Weapon set with "gunfights, explosions, sharks- the usual" on it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Three different bundles for that Child's Play release

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/child-s-play-1-3-5-posters-2-o-cards?product_id=7865

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/child-s-play-1-3-neca-5-posters-2-o-cards?product_id=7866

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/child-s-play-1-3-neca-5-posters-2-o-cards-pin-set-postcard-set?product_id=7864

I enjoy those first three to differing degrees. Might just grab the first two and maybe snag the third on sale or something.

ok now im done.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 30, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Cheers to Machete Zombie

The seller put it back down to $35.14, so I grabbed it. This is the second blind buy you're responsible for.

What was the other one?

Gripweed posted:

I solved the mystery of that Batman collection with "I'm Batman" on it. It's part of a bunch of releases of bluray movie collections with matching slipcovers with quotes on them. There's a Lethal Weapon set with "gunfights, explosions, sharks- the usual" on it

I'm confused here. Which Lethal Weapon movie has Batman?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

What was the other one?

RoboSlop, though that was more of a community effort

Putney Swope is being released by Indicator or somebody overseas, right?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

pwn posted:

Putney Swope is being released by Indicator or somebody overseas, right?

Yeah, it’s Indicator in July. Seems to be mostly the same. Transfers may be different. Most bonus features are the same, except each having a slightly different Q&A interview.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Seriously, I held off on buying Red Dawn until last Saturday, and Shout just announced a 4K.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

Seriously, I held off on buying Red Dawn until last Saturday, and Shout just announced a 4K.

thank you for your sacrifice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going to have to buy Aliens on Blu ray aren't I?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm going to have to buy Aliens on Blu ray aren't I?
I had the Alien quadrilogy on Blu-Ray before I got a UHD player. Then I got Alien/Prometheus on UHD. So now in my binder, I have those 2 on UHD and the Blu-Ray of Aliens (didn't bother to put Alien 3 or Resurrections in there, although I may have to rewatch those one of these days since it's been years since I last saw either of them).

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I just bought alien on uhd and aliens on brd and the audio is far far better on aliens than alien somehow.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I tried watching Alien: Resurrection a few years ago. In a sort of "maybe I didn't give it a chance" sense. I got to the first shot where the two marines are guarding the doorway to Ripley-Clone.... they're both chewing gum. Very obviously and it just took me right out. Ejected it and haven't touched it since.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I tried watching Alien: Resurrection a few years ago. In a sort of "maybe I didn't give it a chance" sense. I got to the first shot where the two marines are guarding the doorway to Ripley-Clone.... they're both chewing gum. Very obviously and it just took me right out. Ejected it and haven't touched it since.

It was directed by a French man, that's just what they think American soldiers do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PeterCat posted:

It was directed by a French man, that's just what they think American soldiers do.

After Alien 3 ruined Ripley's story and the franchise, I can appreciate Resurrection as a fun weird thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol Alien 3 rules you dork. It's probably the franchise that's maintained the highest quality ratio over the years (discounting the Predator sequel taint) and brings in the most original new ideas over the years. Give me a Resurrection over a bunch of increasingly-cheap DTV Aliens-alikes any day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

lol Alien 3 rules you dork.

Yeah it's great when a series about a woman surviving sexual assault ends with her having no option but kill herself to abort her rape baby. It rules.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

lol Alien 3 rules you dork

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Amazon has some UHDs down to $11.99 including Collateral. Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, and Michael Mann!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it's great when a series about a woman surviving sexual assault ends with her having no option but kill herself to abort her rape baby. It rules.

Speechless lol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

PinkoBastard posted:

Speechless lol

A group of government men funded by corporations show up telling her what she can and can't do with her body now that she has the alien embryo inside her.

It's not exactly subtle.

I'm mixed on Alien 3. I watched both cuts. The Dog Cut's pacing is really bad and that version of the movie is bad. The Cow Cut has the pacing fixed, and it's a much better movie, and is watchable, but I do agree the way they handled Ripley and Newt and Bishop is terrible. And the whole thing boiling down to a battle about Ripley's body autonomy isn't handled well.

I'd rather watch 3 over Resurrection, but why would I watch either when I can rewatch Alien or Aliens.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PinkoBastard posted:

Speechless lol

yes I can understand why you would be unable to come up with a compelling counter argument

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just find Alien 3 to be terminally boring, and I've seen the supposedly good version and given it several rewatches over the years. Resurrection isn't good but it at least has some entertaining stuff in it and it doesn't put me to sleep.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I don’t really love Alien 3 anyway, but I think it’s worst crimes are killing Newt and the terrible CGI

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The blu-ray for Aliens (not sure if there were multiple transfers, if so whatever the most recent one is) really looks great, same with T1. I love that extra grainy stock Cameron used on those films, really fits the atmosphere Of course 4Ks of either would be great, if they're closer to Alien and not T2 that is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 kickass. It’s darkness is why it’s good. Yeah it’s good she killed herself bc of her rape baby that’ll destroy the world I don’t fuckin know

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

bad things happening in a movie has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. bizarre take. alien 3 is just ok.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Movie fans are the most annoying loving people on the planet - myself included btw

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Amazon has some UHDs down to $11.99 including Collateral. Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, and Michael Mann!
Definitely jump on this if you don't own it already. One of my favorite movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PinkoBastard posted:

I don’t really love Alien 3 anyway, but I think it’s worst crimes are killing Newt and the terrible CGI

It was 1992. There is one shot that uses a CG alien and it’s like 2 seconds long (the exoskeleton cracking after being doused in water). Other than closeups, the rest of the time the alien is a rod puppet. Unfortunately it was composited with some chemical process that tinted everything the wrong color, which makes it stand out horribly in precisely the way cheap CG does.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

david_a posted:

It was 1992. There is one shot that uses a CG alien and it’s like 2 seconds long (the exoskeleton cracking after being doused in water). Other than closeups, the rest of the time the alien is a rod puppet. Unfortunately it was composited with some chemical process that tinted everything the wrong color, which makes it stand out horribly in precisely the way cheap CG does.

In any case, the effects in a lot of the scenes (at least from my remembrance) look like poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea compositing is the thing that people tend to notice most when they go back and watch older movies. That was like 90% of what people were excited for when the Star Wars Special Editions came out, they went back and cleaned up a lot of the matte lines.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

And now it's more relevant than ever!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

What's the consensus on the CGI in Alien Resurrection? It's been forever since I've seen it but I remember the underwater sequences with the swimming xenomorphs looked pretty fuckin' cool to 16-year-old me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

This Is the Zodiac posted:

What's the consensus on the CGI in Alien Resurrection? It's been forever since I've seen it but I remember the underwater sequences with the swimming xenomorphs looked pretty fuckin' cool to 16-year-old me.

Yea it still looks pretty solid, I mean certainly for 1997 there were plenty of other movies with CG that doesn't hold up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hicks and newt deserved to die