Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

The shape of the north coast of Araby is similar to the one from the "leak" and not at all like it is in the Mortal Empires. Plus the Wizard islands or whatever are in a completely different spot. Its definitely not just a squished ME.

I really hope the maps even a fraction of that size because i have a sinking feeling they might have bitten off more than they can chew and it's gonna be barely bigger than ME. ME with the darklands might be acceptable but it's gonna be a huge loving let down if it is like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Even that map is pretty compromised, I was hoping Immortal Empires would be an opportunity to fix how hosed the game 2 areas were on ME. Playing in game 2 areas still looks pretty abysmal with that map, though at least Lustria is on the map this time.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arghy posted:

I really hope the maps even a fraction of that size because i have a sinking feeling they might have bitten off more than they can chew and it's gonna be barely bigger than ME. ME with the darklands might be acceptable but it's gonna be a huge loving let down if it is like that.

You have to go past Darklands to include Cathay.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s me. I’m the loser who marked out when he said “summon the elector counts”

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Arghy posted:

What's with the ogre mercs being so prevalent haha i've literally never used them because i already have faction units that fill my limited 20 stack. If they were like a waaagh army and didn't take unit slots then i'd use them.

Throughout the trailer they have a lot of mixed forces as a way to remind people that TWW3 has a military alliance system that lets you buy units from other factions, which has a lot of potential for some crazy poo poo in it with all the factions in.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nash posted:

It’s me. I’m the loser who marked out when he said “summon the elector counts”

I gotta admit, I did lol. Just wasn't expecting it!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

99pct of germs posted:

The shape of the north coast of Araby is similar to the one from the "leak" and not at all like it is in the Mortal Empires. Plus the Wizard islands or whatever are in a completely different spot. Its definitely not just a squished ME.

kind of sucks they have to use so much space on water if the actual size of the map is limited :(

the bottom right is really sucking up a lot of real estate. you could crop off some of that and just squeeze the map projection around but this is all just speculation anyway

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I clapped, I clapped when he said "Summon the elector counts"

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Don't forget that that map is "old", apparently. How old, we don't know. There is a LOT of water in the southeastern portion of it, though.

Personally, I'm hoping they don't squish Lustria or Naggaroth quite as much as they seem to be there. Also Ind and Khuresh seem super huge for places that apparently aren't playable at all. I'm thinking that map may have been a working prototype that someone forgot in the files, so although it's useful for giving us a decent idea of what they are planning on, don't be surprised if things change (for good or ill).

I'm hoping they give us an official map this month. The speculation is the worst part of this stuff.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's going to be hilarious when literally every faction will have easy access to tomb king units. Setra is one of the most reliable, non biased lords in the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's going to be hilarious when literally every faction will have easy access to tomb king units. Setra is one of the most reliable, non biased lords in the game.

The TK AI is usually pretty terrible about successfully teching, so unless you cultivate them they're probably going to be donating poo poo skeletons and chariots at best.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kislev with Irondrakes. :getin:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Kislev with Irondrakes. :getin:

You can have that now. Kislev plus dawi is a really good combination!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ice Guard and Sisters of Avelorn are gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Literally any unit and Sisters of Avelorn are gonna be a force to be reckoned with. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah unless they make some major changes I just dont see how the WH2 races, especially HE, dont poo poo all over the demons.

Oh, look, physical resist? Shame I have magic arrows. And flaming arrows, so gently caress your regeneration. And long range. And AP to boot, just in case you thought armor might help. Ice Guard at least only have one of those. (Actually, an HE army with allied Ice Guard is probably going to be better for the massed SoA and scattered ice guard than Kislev with SoA support, but either way)

We will see, but I dont have high hopes for the range supremacy going anywhere. I did at WH3 release at least.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Captain Beans posted:

kind of sucks they have to use so much space on water if the actual size of the map is limited :(

the bottom right is really sucking up a lot of real estate. you could crop off some of that and just squeeze the map projection around but this is all just speculation anyway

My ideal Immortal Empires map would be a round globe but I'm not sure if that can be achieved with this engine.

with that said there's only so much condensing they can do if they also want an accurate Warhams map. I appreciate the accuracy even if there is a lot of empty space.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah unless they make some major changes I just dont see how the WH2 races, especially HE, dont poo poo all over the demons.

Oh, look, physical resist? Shame I have magic arrows. And flaming arrows, so gently caress your regeneration. And long range. And AP to boot, just in case you thought armor might help. Ice Guard at least only have one of those. (Actually, an HE army with allied Ice Guard is probably going to be better for the massed SoA and scattered ice guard than Kislev with SoA support, but either way)

We will see, but I dont have high hopes for the range supremacy going anywhere. I did at WH3 release at least.

HE counter Tzeentch and maybe Khorne but Slaanesh will take them out behind the woodshed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
An army with no air and no ranged

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't believe giving almost every faction easy access to high damage armour piercing ranged units messed up balance. Who could have foreseen this?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lt. Lizard posted:

Literally any unit and Sisters of Avelorn are gonna be a force to be reckoned with. :v:

Not gonna lie if I wasn't doing the "Repanse kills Chaos" run first I think my first run would've been seeing just how many stupid army compositions I could make with Slaanesh and human/elf factions through use of cults and seduction'. Tempting as it is still is to do first, the thought of leading a grand crusade with all the order races as military allies scattered throughout my many armies seems like too good of a time to look past.

Zzulu posted:

An army with no air and no ranged

Just seduce theirs!

Ravenfood posted:

I feel like the best way to take these factions on in campaign is to just be scummy as possible about it and never try to fight them fairly. Make sure you're filling their lands with suffering via corruption long before you ever get there, as Nurgle just take a big heaping dump in their water supply and let it ferment for a turn or two, as Slaanesh save up some funds and seduce their best units away while generally letting cults run rampant in their territories, as Tzeentch rearrange their furniture, and with Khorne just create so many giant blood-hordes sacking their weenie settlements the Sisters run out of ammo sparing your poor crippled upkeep before they ever get to fire at your core army troops.

Straight up MP battles would be a different kettle of fish so I do share your hope in that regard even if I don't play that sort of MP.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean N'Kari's quest battle is against HE, who have a solid stack (lots of Phoenix guard, and SoA), and you can crack that poo poo open pretty quick, even though you can't easily outflank it.

The WH2 factions, in particular, have much more robust rosters, so of course they'll have more potential counters, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have enough of those counters for it to matter (outside of multiplayer, that is, but lol mp nerds). Plus, you know, AI. I'm objectively terrible and I can win against the AI.

I think Nurgle might have the worst of it against HE: super slow units that rely on healing? Meet fire/magic damage archers, and also other archers, and did we mention even more archers? Nurgle might get whittled down before he can even get into melee.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not gonna lie if I wasn't doing the "Repanse kills Chaos" run first I think my first run would've been seeing just how many stupid army compositions I could make with Slaanesh and human/elf factions through use of cults and seduction'. Tempting as it is still is to do first, the thought of leading a grand crusade with all the order races as military allies scattered throughout my many armies seems like too good of a time to look past.

Just seduce theirs!

I feel like the best way to take these factions on in campaign is to just be scummy as possible about it and never try to fight them fairly. Make sure you're filling their lands with suffering via corruption long before you ever get there, as Nurgle just take a big heaping dump in their water supply and let it ferment for a turn or two, as Slaanesh save up some funds and seduce their best units away while generally letting cults run rampant in their territories, as Tzeentch rearrange their furniture, and with Khorne just create so many giant blood-hordes sacking their weenie settlements the Sisters run out of ammo sparing your poor crippled upkeep before they ever get to fire at your core army troops.

Straight up MP battles would be a different kettle of fish so I do share your hope in that regard even if I don't play that sort of MP.

That's pretty much how Chaos tries to win in lore, weaken, corrupt, divide, and then the daemons come in with tons and tons of followers.

I play with mods like Tabletop Caps so I never see a ton of AP archers in any army because they are usually made special or rare units. Maybe ya'll should play with those mods to help limit cheesy armies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always use those mods to avoid lovely armies and force myself to not have an undefeatable Grand Golden Army Of Giants, Goblin-launchers And Grimgor

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

We'll have to see how it plays out, but HE absolutely feel like a rather hard counter to most daemon factions due to certain units on their roster. Not so much an issue in campaign, as either you're playing HE and don't care or you're a human and can probably work around the issues, but certainly a potential issue in MP.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

HE are the demon beaters in the lore though, even if its like the sword of khaine and lots of dragons too. This game is balanced by being full of crazy bullshit though. Like the strongest chaos army is still going to be nuBeastmen lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
HE can counter anything. They have a huge and diverse roster

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

HE can counter anything. They have a huge and diverse roster

HE can counter anything, can be filthy rich, pretty secure on the Donut, and meaningfully play the diplomacy game. In the player's hands at least. But that's imho not a problem in the campaign, and they didn't perpetually dominate the MP scene, either.

And that's for the WH2 version of HElves. We don't know whether there will be broader adjustments to game 2 factions when they get brought to WH3. I wouldn't worry about those things for now at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All elf factions will be replaced with Skaven.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

Please god.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Koth posted:

We'll have to see how it plays out, but HE absolutely feel like a rather hard counter to most daemon factions due to certain units on their roster. Not so much an issue in campaign, as either you're playing HE and don't care or you're a human and can probably work around the issues, but certainly a potential issue in MP.

HE are pretty bad in MP and even just in a straight port from WH2 would be dumpstered by most of the new factions. Their units are incredibly expensive, mostly underperforms for cost and massing sisters doesn't work well against players.

Their best strat is monster mash with Alarielle+ some heroes and a dragon in most matchups.

Skaven, VC and Wood Elves will be an exponentially bigger issue for the demon factions in MP.

Turin did a pretty good video breaking down how he felt the WH2 factions will slot in to WH3 MP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ANa3zO4mE

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 2, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Yes please.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

All elf factions will be replaced with Grimgrog.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grimgor has elf ears so it’s fine

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but they're running a multiplayer tournament throughout June using the current WH3 build, qualifiers are open to the public and each round is run by a different content creator. They run through June, with the winners ending up in the bracket for the final competition which I guess is in early July. $1500 cash prize for first place.

Why does this matter? Apparently the July competition will be using a build of WH3 that includes all of the factions from all three games. I guess the first round of qualifiers is this weekend. There's info on the TW Twitter or the subreddit. I'm way way way way too bad to even consider joining any kind of MP competition, but someone out there might he interested.

My secret hope is that they'll be confident enough in the IE build by the end of it to give us a release date.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I really don't think so. If you're thinking of Sisters of Avalorn (and for that matter phoenix guard) yes they do magic damage and even fire damage - but they also pay the cost for an AP unit when AP is almost worthless against most demons. Ignoring 40% physical resist isn't all that when you cost over twice as much as a unit of basic archers. Honestly? Sisters of Avelorn have only ever been good in campaign where your number of units is critical, your cost isn't, and multiple units of them can melt just about any elite. Against chaff infantry they've never been much better than basic archers - but basic archers can melt chaff just fine if you bring as many units as they do.

And if you're thinking of dragons they have the normal strengths and weaknesses of flyers in domination - moving easily from point to point but they can't take objectives.

Multiplayer is a different game to single player - and popular multiplayer units included White Lions and Empire Knights.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Seeing as Daemon faction already can deal just fine with a faction like Wood Elves (aka High elves but way more deadly when it comes to shooting) which also has several units with magic ranged attacks, I really don't get why people freaking out over the whole "But how will the daemon factions ever be able to deal with wh2 factions?! Won't someone think of the Nurglings!!!".

Even Kislev, a faction were near every unit can shoot and most of their units having AP ammo, feels far more lethal when it comes to ranged then most any WH2 races will be, and currently Kislev feels no more OP then any other race when you face them as an enemy.
This is from campaign point of view, and while I don't play much MP from what I've heard balance there seems mostly fine too?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They should probably crunch down on old power creep like explosive AP goblin archers or tune down red line/LL specific troop buffs so that taking military alliance units aren't performing worse then trash troops that have more then doubled base stats.

Dwarves are going to be the very best friends of every order faction and Skaven are going to be the best friends of every other faction is my prediction, both offer top tier warcrimes you'd be happy to slot into any balanced army.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder how for example Brettonia will work, because their high tier cavalry is balanced around having the upkeep reduction your lords get for fulfilling vows. Your empire lord obviously won't have those, so will Brettonian cavalry be hilariously expensive for everybody else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Torrannor posted:

I wonder how for example Brettonia will work, because their high tier cavalry is balanced around having the upkeep reduction your lords get for fulfilling vows. Your empire lord obviously won't have those, so will Brettonian cavalry be hilariously expensive for everybody else?

That's just perfectly flavorful. Why would some chivalrous knight obey the orders of some unwashed foreigner who has the gall to fight with gunpowder?