Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

Was that the cage match? My memory is hazy but I remember seeing Homicide in a cage match at an ROH show and I'm pretty sure it was the blowoff to a feud

The last match of Cabana-Homicide was a Chicago Street Fight, so, no. Was it the CZW-ROH blowoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Elephant Ambush posted:

Was that the cage match? My memory is hazy but I remember seeing Homicide in a cage match at an ROH show and I'm pretty sure it was the blowoff to a feud

That Cabana Homicide blow off was a Street Fight if my hazy memories are correct.

The 2 Homicide cage matches I can think of are 2005 vs Bryan Danielson, the 5th match in their 5 match series, & vs Adam Pearce in December 2006 which would be basically the end of the Homicide Cornette feud leading to him finally getting his shot at Danielson for the World Title at Final Battle in New York City (which I need to rewatch because my memory is it was a really great heated match with the perfect payoff)

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

It has to be someone in Russo era WCW turning multiple times over the course of a segment. I have no idea if this has happened but I'm almost certain it has.

The Russo special seemed to be the following scenario:

-Wrestlers A and B are in a group, and they are in an ongoing feud with wrestler X
-One day, completely out of the blue, wrestlers A and B get into an argument and wrestler A decides to join with wrestler X in a match against wrestler B
-Wrestler X beats up B for a while, then B gets the upper hand finally, then X tags in A, then A and B just kick the crap out of wrestler X together, revealing the whole thing was a scheme!
-The viewer thinks wrestlers A and B came up with a really dumb plan, because why didn't they just kick the crap out of the other guy in the first place with no trickery, it's 2 on 1, and the viewer thinks wrestler X is a dumbass for falling for such a stupid plan, and no plot was moved forward at the end of the day (and also why did wrestler A watch his teammate get beaten up for half the match before doing the turn???)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

The Russo special seemed to be the following scenario:

-Wrestlers A and B are in a group, and they are in an ongoing feud with wrestler X
-One day, completely out of the blue, wrestlers A and B get into an argument and wrestler A decides to join with wrestler X in a match against wrestler B
-Wrestler X beats up B for a while, then B gets the upper hand finally, then X tags in A, then A and B just kick the crap out of wrestler X together, revealing the whole thing was a scheme!
-The viewer thinks wrestlers A and B came up with a really dumb plan, because why didn't they just kick the crap out of the other guy in the first place with no trickery, it's 2 on 1, and the viewer thinks wrestler X is a dumbass for falling for such a stupid plan, and no plot was moved forward at the end of the day (and also why did wrestler A watch his teammate get beaten up for half the match before doing the turn???)

The example of this that always made me mad was pre-Russo. Rick and Scott Steiner at Havoc '98 where Buff decides to help Rick even though Buff does nothing but fake face turns and I guess Rick is just dumb as gently caress because he believes Buff.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This brings us back to the higher power, where Vince fooled Austin to "teach him a lesson he'll never forget". This master plan involved him getting beaten up on multiple occasions and traumatising his family, and was undone within five minutes of being revealed because Austin was made CEO for some reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Tugboat was probably way more mobile than Slaughter by that point at least

Yeah, but Sarge was miles better on the mic. And I believe Sheik Tugboat was still going to have Adnan as his manager so I think I get Slaughter getting the nod.

TheKingslayer posted:

The example of this that always made me mad was pre-Russo. Rick and Scott Steiner at Havoc '98 where Buff decides to help Rick even though Buff does nothing but fake face turns and I guess Rick is just dumb as gently caress because he believes Buff.

It's understandable. Rick was very distracted from being taunted by an animated doll voiced by Brad Dourif.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

Chyna at WM 14 was heel in the corporation and accompanied Kane to face HHH, she turned on Kane to help HHh and turned face, then later on HHH (with chyna) turned heel and joined the corporation

That was Wrestlemania XV and holy poo poo was that show a mess. Billy Gunn fighting for the Hardcore title and Road Dogg defending the IC title simply because the other way around made too much sense and Russo needed another swerve.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Which ecw wrestlers are still active today?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

RVD is and is going to work (win the GHC title) in NOAH

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Manwithastick posted:

Masato Tanaka is still around and still awesome

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

how is his brain not smooshed from those chair shots?

scientists should study him

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Devon Storm did wrestle in ECW and is still active but I doubt anyone you would have to check "did he actually wrestle in ECW?" is who you mean. Christopher Daniels would count too, or at least I do not think he formally retired yet

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rhyno still wrestles on Impact!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
jericho was there for six months in 96 if that counts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

how is his brain not smooshed from those chair shots?

scientists should study him

It's a really good question.

Tajiri & Super Crazy are still active. Obviously Rey Mysterio Jr & Chris Jericho.

Danny Doring has wrestled 3 times this year! Johnny Swinger was in ECW at the end & is still in Impact. Lil Guido has wrestled this year too. Psicosis isn't regularly working but still has wrestled at least 1 match in each the last 2 years. Osamu Nishimura wrestled in ECW in 94 & 95 and is still semi active in Japan.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Manwithastick posted:

Tommy Dreamer will probably never retire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Numero6 posted:

Tommy Dreamer will probably never retire.

Why would he? He's fine. His memory is almost as good as his 80 year old mother's!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did tommy do any kind of little heel run on the indies after his stuff on dark side of the ring?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Former ECW champs, Matt Hardy, Christian, Johnny Bloodsport, Lashley, Vinny Mac, Jake Hager, and CM Punk

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

For some reason I also thought ol Tugger turned on Hulk

The two fought at the 91 Rumble with Hulk eliminating Tugboat. Then there was a battle royal on SNME and Tugboat eliminated Hogan. Immediately after, they had to be pulled apart. Shortly after, we got the Tugboat/Bushwackers vs. Earthquake/Nasty Boys match where Tugboat turned on his teammates and the Natural Disasters were born.

Going with the discussion, Tugboat is the first heel turn I saw as a wrestling fan.

As for the first face turn, originally I was going to say Virgil turning on Dibiase at the 91 Rumble, but then I remembered that when I first started watching WWF, they would repeatedly show footage of Greg Valentine turning face. He was in Rhythm and Blues at the time and would regularly hold an opponent back while Honky Tonk Man would swing his guitar and accidentally miss. After HTM hit Valentine one too many times, Valentine turned on Jimmy Hart. In retrospect, it was kind of weird to me because as far as I can tell, this was HTM's final televised appearance as a regular part of the company, so the only HTM stuff I had seen at the time was a recap of his tag team breaking up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

Super Crazy and Tajiri are still working.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Did a wrestler ever lay claim to ECW's legacy that was only in ECWWE? I feel like it might have been part of Matt Cardona's amazing sports entertainer run on the indies

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shard posted:

Did a wrestler ever lay claim to ECW's legacy that was only in ECWWE? I feel like it might have been part of Matt Cardona's amazing sports entertainer run on the indies

Yeah he calls himself an ECW Original

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Whats the quickest alignment flip that doesn't belong to Big Show? Who if I remember right, was a heel, went face, then went back heel in the span of a show?

In the 2016 Dead or Alive cage match in Dragon Gate, Naruki Doi and his heel tag partner YAMATO turned face at the beginning of the match only for him to turn heel and betray YAMATO at the end of the match, so like, 20 minutes.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Shard posted:

This is a stretch, and I might be misremembering, but during AJPW's 2020 Real World Tag League, Masato Tanaka and Tajiri teamed together as "Team ECW" and one of the first teams they wrestled against was Yoshitatsu and Ryoji Sai, leading Yoshitatsu to respond that he was also an "ECW Original".

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah he calls himself an ECW Original

Great gimmick, made me laugh and get mad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How did John Cena manage to never break his ankles?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A gently caress of a lot of tape or really good low-profile braces, I'm guessing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Ivory in the Rumble made me and a lot of other people realize she is 60 at the moment which of course means she was in, what, late 30s/early 40s during her WWF run? Presumably she didn't just start wrestling at that age, although I guess DDP took a while to break in.

But my point is, was there actual women's pro wrestling in North America in the 90s? I know Madusa got Japanese lady wrestlers to come in to feud with her but I'd think there would be others closer to home.

Listening to Bryan and Vinny and Bryan mentions the Godfather Ho who won the Hardcore Title was an Indie worker.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So Ivory in the Rumble made me and a lot of other people realize she is 60 at the moment which of course means she was in, what, late 30s/early 40s during her WWF run? Presumably she didn't just start wrestling at that age, although I guess DDP took a while to break in.

But my point is, was there actual women's pro wrestling in North America in the late 90s? I know Madusa got Japanese lady wrestlers to come in to feud with her but I'd think there would be others closer to home.

Listening to Bryan and Vinny and Bryan mentions the Godfather Ho who won the Hardcore Title was an Indie worker.

Ivory started in GLOW

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

I'm pretty sure the first wrestling related thing I ever saw was my parents flipping channels and landing on the Mega Powers breakup with Elizabeth eating poo poo on the outside of the ring, so that was the first heel turn too

Mine was probably Luger hiptossing Yokozuna on an aircraft carrier because in my little kid memory that somehow evolved into lex picking him up the largest man I've ever seen and throwing him into the sea

And then my parents calmly explained to me the only shows I wasn't allowed to watch were wrestling and Married with Children

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

SG Bamboo posted:

I always wondered why he never really popped up anywhere in the US post ECW considering basically anyone else who had any kind of name recognition was brought in by other companies.

I'm assuming he just wasn't interested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

I always wondered why he never really popped up anywhere in the US post ECW considering basically anyone else who had any kind of name recognition was brought in by other companies.

I'm assuming he just wasn't interested.

He was a top guy in Zero1 and just got plenty of work in Japan.

He has done a handful of US dates since ECW died but I think he's happy living in Japan.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yeah, I especially don't think he'd have fit into WWECW, so it's good that he only worked, ooh, two matches for the Fed before they really had a chance to ruin him

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alaois posted:

Ivory started in GLOW

I haven't watched any actual GLOW in a while, but from what I remember, she was one of few that was actually good in-ring.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven't watched any actual GLOW in a while, but from what I remember, she was one of few that was actually good in-ring.

She was Tina Ferrari and you are correct

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The only other things i know about GLOW is that Sylvester Stallone's mother was involved and that the woman who played Hollywood was also in the greatest game to be published on the 3DO, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Alaois posted:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

Apparently the Son of the Son of Plumbers wear ties all the time though.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Elephant Ambush posted:

She was Tina Ferrari and you are correct

That's right! Who was her tag team partner? Debbie Debutaunt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
All I know is that I wish Netflix wouldn’t have canceled the new GLOW. :argh: