Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Well the ruling disagrees. Idk what else there is to say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

Well the ruling disagrees. Idk what else there is to say about it

i'm pretty sure the jury was like you: they liked funny memes and the charismatic actor more than the ugly fact that he beat her for years. it was foolish of her to think anyone would believe any amount of evidence.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Them's fightin' heards

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Well there’s no reason to get personal about it

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Those sheeple in the jury and everyone who watched the trial will believe any conspiracy theory put forward by the shady international cabal of Johnny Depp fans who will use this ruling to take over the world and imprison all women, especially themselves

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

Those sheeple in the jury and everyone who watched the trial will believe any conspiracy theory put forward by the shady international cabal of Johnny Depp fans who will use this ruling to take over the world and imprison all women, especially themselves

man, the US elected a rapist as president twice in a row, it's not a conspiracy that nobody gives a poo poo about victims

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Your honor, we the jury find the defendant guilty on all counts on the grounds that this is funniest verdict we could render.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I mean heard won the uk so its 1-1 now and we really need a first to 3 on this one

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Centusin posted:

I mean heard won the uk so its 1-1 now and we really need a first to 3 on this one

That was against the Sun not Heard.

Also here's the transcript for the main leaked audio if anyone wants to go Turd hunting for abuse admissions that only one person seems to know about

https://annsilvers.com/blogs/news/johnny-depp-and-amber-heard-audio-recording-sept-2015-transcript

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm pretty sure the jury was like you: they liked funny memes and the charismatic actor more than the ugly fact that he beat her for years. it was foolish of her to think anyone would believe any amount of evidence.

She made outrageous claims of horrific abuse, and suffered none of them. Everything she said and did is suspect. That, along with the recordings and their marriage counselor's testimony which all showed that Heard was often the instigator and aggressor and the engine of their fights, doomed her. She shouldn't have lied

Edit: She also admitted in court she wrote the op-ed about Depp, so again: get mad at her for her own mistakes and lies

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Thank god the multimillionaire won their suit vs the other multimillionaire, I'm invested in which multimillionaire is the slightly less piece of poo poo.

If it makes you feel better, Amber Heard won't be a multimillionaire anymore! :)

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 2, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If only there was some sort of court with responsibility for determining the truth of factual events and then punishing the people involved if they did something wrong.

Instead the 'judge' and jury were responsible for determining whether the poo poo slinging of two modern day idle aristocrats fell into ossified technocratic legal categories that would enable one of them to pay the other money.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

that transcript has a bunch of commentary accusing heard of being a lying gaslighter because (on march 23, 2015) johnny depp attacked heard's sister and heard jumped in and smacked him. this is something heard has never denied, btw. this is followed by depp grabbing her hair and striking her in the face repeatedly, something her sister corroborates.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

She made outrageous claims of horrific abuse, and suffered none of them. Everything she said and did is suspect.

it rules, you can submit any number of pieces of evidence, any number of pictures of wounds and witnesses who back you up. you can even be honest about the things you did even when they reflect poorly on you, and none of it means a goddamned thing. it's all proof that it's a conspiracy to trick everyone into thinking the abuser isn't a sweetheart.

DARVO is the go-to strategy because it works like a charm, and people will eat up "Amber Heard STEALS Rihanna's abuse story!" youtube clickbait and convince themselves they're righteously punishing the witch

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 2, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I don't think you would have been satisfied with any likely outcome, dude.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

I don't think you would have been satisfied with any likely outcome, dude.

i mean, no, not really. this whole trial was pretty clearly meant to revictimize her; it happens all the time with domestic abuse court cases. this is the second time in a row depp's pressed a case and wrapped her up in it while having his lawyer leak juicy details to ruin her.

what kind of loving freak hears a story about domestic abuse and rape being hashed out in public for everyone to gawk at and says, "wow, cool, i'm glad that happened!" or "this here is the funniest thing i've ever seen"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I watched the entire trial and don't get what proof you are talking about? The edited pictures she submitted? The only people she brought in just repeated what she told them, nothing they saw first hand. Why is it impossible for her to be the aggressor in this?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harminoff posted:

The only people she brought in just repeated what she told them, nothing they saw first hand.

Amber Heard’s sister testifies she saw Johnny Depp abuse her sister

quote:

Amber Heard’s sister testified on Wednesday that she witnessed actor Johnny Depp grab Heard by the hair and hit her in the face repeatedly when they were married.

Whitney Heard Henriquez, Heard’s younger sister, testified in court Wednesday as part the ongoing defamation case between Heard and ex-husband Depp.

Henriquez said that she lived with Heard and Depp off and on during the course of their relationship and that she thought of Depp as a brother.

Henriquez testified about an altercation in which she saw Depp throw a Red Bull can at his nurse, Debbie Lloyd, which Lloyd denied in her testimony. Henriquez said during the incident, Depp ran up a set of stairs toward her.

“He comes up behind me, strikes me in the back. I hear Amber shout don’t hit my f****** sister. She smacks him, lands one,” Henriquez said. “By that time Johnny had already grabbed Amber by the hair with one hand and was whacking her repeatedly in the face with the other.”

but yeah it's all a conspiracy to fake photos and lie about the good boy who never did anything wrong over the course of years, you cracked the case

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 2, 2022

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I for one know that when someone is running up the stairs to hit me they can do it so stealthily that they can get a free critical strike on my back

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

it rules, you can submit any number of pieces of evidence, any number of pictures of wounds and witnesses who back you up. you can even be honest about the things you did even when they reflect poorly on you, and none of it means a goddamned thing. it's all proof that it's a conspiracy to trick everyone into thinking the abuser isn't a sweetheart.

DARVO is the go-to strategy because it works like a charm, and people will eat up "Amber Heard STEALS Rihanna's abuse story!" youtube clickbait and convince themselves they're righteously punishing the witch

What rules is that a liar got caught out for manufacturing weak "evidence" to back up her outrageous claims. Heard didn't document her injuries, and said that she didn't need medical attention for any of her injuries. Also, no one remembers her being in pain, recovering from her many beatings or being unable to walk for a while because her feet were shredded up. She went on James Cordon's show looking and speaking perfectly for someone with a freshly-broken nose. She never needed to recover, she just got hurt and keep moving like she was in an action movie. When it comes to physical injuries like Heard is claiming, absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

As for Rihanna, I posted a link earlier of a video that compares Rihanna's description of Chris Brown, to Heard's description of Depp; you're welcome to watch and compare

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
gonna watch Pirates of the Caribbean 5 today in celebration

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

What rules is that a liar got caught out for manufacturing weak "evidence" to back up her outrageous claims. Heard didn't document her injuries, and said that she didn't need medical attention for any of her injuries.

in two sentences, you said that all of the documentation of her injuries were fake, then said she didn't document any of her injuries.

this is what i mean that people will believe anything if it means they don't have to believe a victim.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cease to Hope posted:

this is what i mean that people will believe anything if it means they don't have to believe a victim.

Take a look in the mirror as this is you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cease to Hope posted:

man every claim in that op-ed can be trivially verified. she didn't accuse depp of beating her publicly until these lawsuits, so you don't have to get all "we aren’t mind readers and we weren’t there."
She leaked an edited cabinet/mega pint video, filed a TRO & notified the press of doing so, and had the press photograph her wearing makeup resembling a bruise while walking out of the courthouse. Long before the op-ed. And that last part isn't some qanon or twitter-left level conspiracy, there are candid photographs of her practically without makeup a day later with no bruising. And they were entered in evidence during the trial.

To make all of this worse, she lied about all of this in court and then got buried by firsthand testimony.

The thing she never accused Depp of until later was sexual violence. Not physical violence. The thing she "never wanted to come out", in her words, was the sexual violence.

This case is unbelievably frustrating for a number of reasons, but one of them is Heard's inability to own up to anything that presents her in a slightly negative light in her head. All she had to was go up there and tell the truth, or at least lies that didn't conflict with her own entered evidence and known actions, and Depp had no shot at winning. You are right to evaluate the article, in isolation, as not defamation. Its content wasn't. There's some shot the title was defamation, but even that was a stretch.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Take a look in the mirror as this is you.

deny, accuse, reverse victim and offender. wifebeaters like depp do it because it works.

Khorne posted:

The thing she never accused Depp of until later was sexual violence. Not physical violence. The thing she "never wanted to come out", in her words, was the sexual violence.

yeah, being a rape victim is still seen as shameful. someone wrote an article about that, something about society bringing their full fury down on victims when they speak out

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

deny, accuse, reverse victim and offender. wifebeaters like depp do it because it works.

Can't the exact same thing be said about Amber Heard?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Can't the exact same thing be said about Amber Heard?

she's never denied hitting him. she didn't accuse him of anything publicly until forced, and indeed sought to hide her injuries at the time. she sought to break contact with a TRO and then a divorce, not extend it long after by launching multiple lawsuits.

particularly telling is the rape accusation; it's the most salacious accusation but it didn't come up publicly in the divorce and she sought to keep it private during the UK trial.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

She made outrageous claims of horrific abuse, and suffered none of them. Everything she said and did is suspect. That, along with the recordings and their marriage counselor's testimony which all showed that Heard was often the instigator and aggressor and the engine of their fights, doomed her. She shouldn't have lied

Edit: She also admitted in court she wrote the op-ed about Depp, so again: get mad at her for her own mistakes and lies

Lol

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

she's never denied hitting him. she didn't accuse him of anything publicly until forced, and indeed sought to hide her injuries at the time. she sought to break contact with a TRO and then a divorce, not extend it long after by launching multiple lawsuits.

particularly telling is the rape accusation; it's the most salacious accusation but it didn't come up publicly in the divorce and she sought to keep it private during the UK trial.

She's been a known abuser of multiple people though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ay dawg don’t burst a vessel reading people magazine

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You can't even get 12 people together on the internet to agree who was in the wrong here but somehow they got 12 people in a court room that could do that? Something seems off here.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Forgive me if im wrong but i dont think the jury had access to the funny memes that would have biased them against amber.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
First it was 7. Second all you have to do is watch her direct testimony and cross and see how truthful she is as she contradicts herself constantly and struggles to fake cry, which her own acting coach who heard called as a witness stated that heard cannot produce tears when fake crying but does cry tears when genuinely crying.

I do think that depp only should have won the SV claim. I think there is ample evidence that he was abusive. But again ambers own expert witness claimed that mutual abuse is not real, so I can see why the jury got her for all 3 statements.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
it sets a bad precedent regardless.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

Second all you have to do is watch her direct testimony and cross and see how truthful she is as she contradicts herself constantly and struggles to fake cry, which her own acting coach who heard called as a witness stated that heard cannot produce tears when fake crying but does cry tears when genuinely crying.

yeah we're back to this again

Cease to Hope posted:

it may have been unwise to hinge her defense on speaking the truth, but i can understand why someone might think years of photos and contemporaneous reports to third parties would be more compelling than it turned out to be

people will nitpick the expressions and tone of victims in ways they'll never, ever do to a rich, charismatic wifebeater

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Cease to Hope posted:

Do you have any personal experience with Borderline Personality Disorder and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

Lol, she tipped off TMZ about the TRO

She went in person even though she didn't need to be present to submit the TRO

She used the street entrance even though there's a more private entrance in a parking garage that wouldn't have required being on the street

She chose that day to not wear makeup to cover her "bruises," despite covering out literally every single other day

She published an op-ed in a national paper with a good amount of Nudge nudge wink wink the: Depp being the main abuser

Man, how DARE we force Amber's hand to be public!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the incel chuds wanking over the verdict are dumb
the "OH MY GOD WHY WONT ANYONE BELIEVE WOMEN" people crying over the verdict are dumb
johnny depp is dumb
amber heard is dumb
this whole thing is dumb

I, also, am dumb

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

What Im reading is in a case where all she had to do is not say "I did this on purpose to hurt his career knowing these were lies" she testified "I did this on purpose to hurt his career knowing these were lies"

Is that right?

No she went with “all of you can’t read, the article was never about Johnny.”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

Do you have any personal experience with Borderline Personality Disorder and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder?

i do have a lot of personal experience with people trotting out psychs to diagnose DV and rape victims that they saw briefly in order to build up a narrative of them being crazy liars, yes

again, depp isn't the first or last to pull this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I loved the part where she would testify with emotion and it would turn off with every objection and then back on when she resumed. Like a switch or something. It was crazy