Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

https://youtu.be/2b7YBoSVjoQ

Little blurb on the YF23 including some stuff I never knew about (Naval version?)
Better video in my opnion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9rG8gydTw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

david_a posted:

I watched a couple of Mr Off-brand Mustard videos and the fact that he makes a bunch of videos about Russian vaporware superjets raises some red flags for me. Does he actually do a good job researching his content?

Found and Explained sucks. Very loose with the facts, poor research, lots of conjecture, gets a lot flat-out wrong.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Uncontrolled Flight Into Train

https://twitter.com/AmeliaJonesTV/status/1532319302501781505?s=20

https://www.fox6now.com/news/burlington-crash-hot-air-balloon-vs-train

quote:

BURLINGTON, Wis. - Flight for Life was called to the scene of a crash involving a hot air balloon and a train in Burlington Wednesday night, June 1. The scene of the crash was behind Love Inc. near Calumet Road in Burlington.

The three adult occupants sustained life-threatening injuries. Flight for Life was requested and transported two of the three patients to Froedtert Hospital for treatment. The third patient was ground transported via ambulance to Froedtert

Early reports from witnesses on scene indicate the hot air balloon appeared in distress and collided with a Northbound Canadian National Train.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nineteenth century rear end accident

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Someone at the NTSB just developed the worst migraine of their life.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ambulance to Froedtert is my avant garde noise band

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/i/status/1531624684005036032

curious whether the cart's driver was overcome by heatstroke or just had a heart attack?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm curious if the driver who rammed it (saving that plane from probably $100k in damage) got fired or not

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Apologies if this was already posted, but an ERJ-175 lost a winglet in moderate-severe turbulence near Birmingham, AL last month.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f84e603

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lost wignat

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm curious if the driver who rammed it (saving that plane from probably $100k in damage) got fired or not

A case of water had fallen on the gas pedal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2019/10/01/american-airlines-envoy-employee-details-catering-truck-incident/3833327002/

He got a commendation and I heard a $1k bonus.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

If the cart hit the forward pressure bulkhead just right it’d probably be a write off. Though, it’s an ERJ-135 so you may be right.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

write off. ERJ-135.

And nothing of value would have been lost

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Zero One posted:

Lost wignat

I laughed out loud.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Someone at the NTSB just developed the worst migraine of their life.

And the lamest episode of Air Disasters ever just went into production.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The wife and I recently got to see an airshow where the F-35 and F-22 performed, first time seeing them in person for us. The F-35's were surprisingly loud, louder than the twin engine F-22's ad F-18's. The F-22 definitely lived up to the alien quality I'd expected in how it was moving via thrust vectoring, like it was cheating gravity. Always fun to hear the crackle of an afterburner.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

That's a pittance imo considering what damages he prevented and the risk of personal injury. But I almost dreaded their taking initiative would get them fired, so yay I guess?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's a pittance imo considering what damages he prevented and the risk of personal injury.

i mean, yeah, that's the nature of the employer-employee relationship

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's a pittance imo considering what damages he prevented and the risk of personal injury. But I almost dreaded their taking initiative would get them fired, so yay I guess?

New title for the OSHA thread?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Scam Likely posted:

The wife and I recently got to see an airshow where the F-35 and F-22 performed, first time seeing them in person for us. The F-35's were surprisingly loud, louder than the twin engine F-22's ad F-18's. The F-22 definitely lived up to the alien quality I'd expected in how it was moving via thrust vectoring, like it was cheating gravity. Always fun to hear the crackle of an afterburner.

Agreed on the F-22. When I saw it perform at an airshow it was totally unreal.

I always think of it when I hear someone talking about UFOs and how they must be aliens because real planes can't fly as crazy as whatever they saw.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lord Stimperor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLnvRRRtHM

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is there a flight tracking site which does historical data so I can look up what flew overhead yesterday or something? I don't need more than about 24hr of rewind but apparently a trio of Loud Planes went overhead and I want to see what they were

all I heard was a twin bonanza which, while loud, was not "three jets in formation" loud or so was reported to me

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Military aircraft (particularly pointy-jets) are generally not going to be populated on most (any) flight trackers anyway, even if you pay for historical data.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, I use adsbexchange for live data specifically to avoid that problem but I don't think they have historical due to costs, unfortunately.

e: turns out flightradar24 can do it, but I had to filter by plane type to find them since they were shown as 'no callsign' -- it was a trio of KC-135Rs

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 3, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Military aircraft (particularly pointy-jets) are generally not going to be populated on most (any) flight trackers anyway, even if you pay for historical data.

They should show up in adsb exchange unless you’re in a MOA or an actual combat zone.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

hobbesmaster posted:

They should show up in adsb exchange unless you’re in a MOA or an actual combat zone.

I've seen military craft in my area that showed nothing on adsb exchange, and neither of those applied.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

I've seen military craft in my area that showed nothing on adsb exchange, and neither of those applied.

Then nobody was in range. That’s easily fixed though! https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-ads-b-receiver/

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A lot of military aircraft don’t show up because they don’t have ADS-B antennas/software/whatever installed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought that got expedited when an F-16 in IFR hit a VFR Cessna?

Or is that one of those “now it’s planned for 2030 instead of never” things

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 4, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've been trying to track planes overhead this week, and I've spotted F15s, F16s, and F18s that did not show up on flightradar. Saw some T34s that did.

Saw an F117 a couple weeks ago that didn't show up on flightradar either. :tinfoil:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Weirdly enough, some B-52s have ADS-B gear.

Military aircraft will also occasionally show up as "generic" aircraft on the screen.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

hobbesmaster posted:

Then nobody was in range. That’s easily fixed though! https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-ads-b-receiver/

I have a Pi feeding FlightAware and RadarBox. On the internal app I have reading directly off the device, it never sees the F16s taking off from the ANG base a few miles away, but will pick up tankers, T-38s, and the occasional C-17 that rolls in.

I think they're constantly being exempted.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
They definitely have exemptions for just not having the hardware/software installed. I fly a military aircraft that does have it (T-6) and previously flew one that probably still doesn’t (V-22); it didn’t have it the last time I flew it at least. I fly regularly with a Sentry puck for ADSB-in and can only see other training aircraft and occasionally a P-8 or C-17. Everyone else I’ve seen out there is usually an old-as-dirt airplane that probably needs a million avionics upgrades in line before ADSB.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Well that answers that!

The base is going to be switching to F35s in the next few years. I'm assuming they were built with ADS-B already in place?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Weirdly enough, some B-52s have ADS-B gear.

Military aircraft will also occasionally show up as "generic" aircraft on the screen.

I love picking these up on FR, they often have cool callsigns like GRIMM or DOOM.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Psion posted:

Is there a flight tracking site which does historical data so I can look up what flew overhead yesterday or something? I don't need more than about 24hr of rewind but apparently a trio of Loud Planes went overhead and I want to see what they were
You can see replays on adsbexchange using the replay parameter:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?replay=2022-06-04-15:34&lat=36.333&lon=-121.123&zoom=9.8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Many military aircraft don't have it yet, but there's a blanket waiver anyway so they don't have to use it.

You might/might not be surprised how many US military aircraft didn't meet RVSM requirements until years after they were enacted.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There are some that still don’t and have very few plans ever do.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i can see why making it so every foreign intelligence service on earth can gather open-source intel on every US military domestic flight would, let's say "not be a priority"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Many military aircraft don't have it yet, but there's a blanket waiver anyway so they don't have to use it.

You might/might not be surprised how many US military aircraft didn't meet RVSM requirements until years after they were enacted.

E-2's still aren't RVSM certified and I don't know if they ever will be. Though to be fair, getting an aerodynamically problematic turboprop above FL290 takes a lot of effort in the first place.