Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

I ran a Facebook megadungeon crawl in White Box for two years and the old school dungeon turn is almost tailor made for play-by-post. Doing a turn a day was a nice little bit of dungeon crawling on a lunch break or slow shift at work.

That sounds to me like it would be really slow, but I am not familiar with white box. Like, are you just posting "I hit the nearest kobold" daily for a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

PerniciousKnid posted:

That sounds to me like it would be really slow, but I am not familiar with white box. Like, are you just posting "I hit the nearest kobold" daily for a week?

The dungeon turn is the default pacing when out of combat but exploring a dangerous environment. I think it's supposed to be roughly 10 minutes, or the time it takes to thoroughly search a room. Combat, being a series of more granular and simpler decisions, would presumably be run faster.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I keep thinking that Chuubo's would make a good PbP, but that might be because I personally have an easier time with 'vibes' in text than in person.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've considered running Chuubo's as a PbP game on SA (probably the Halloween Special, since it's of reasonable length), but I've never been sure if the interest is there. It does seem like it'd translate well to the format, though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tarnop posted:

The dungeon turn is the default pacing when out of combat but exploring a dangerous environment. I think it's supposed to be roughly 10 minutes, or the time it takes to thoroughly search a room. Combat, being a series of more granular and simpler decisions, would presumably be run faster.

Yup, that’s exactly it. I’d post an updated segment of the map each day and we’d go through overall exploration. Thankfully combat never went longer than three rounds, so we got through that comparatively quickly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Antivehicular posted:

I've considered running Chuubo's as a PbP game on SA (probably the Halloween Special, since it's of reasonable length), but I've never been sure if the interest is there. It does seem like it'd translate well to the format, though.

Chuubos is specifically designed to work well as a PbP, in fact. Since your amount of quest XP actions in a scene is limited before you fade into the background and can just generally react (2 actions, I think?) you just make every scene last either 1 day (or week), or when every player has done an XP action twice, whichever comes first.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Yup, that’s exactly it. I’d post an updated segment of the map each day and we’d go through overall exploration. Thankfully combat never went longer than three rounds, so we got through that comparatively quickly.

Did you run a dungeon module or was this something of your own design?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PerniciousKnid posted:

Did you run a dungeon module or was this something of your own design?

I ran Dyson's Delve (https://rpgcharacters.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dysons-delve-deluxe.pdf) with some reskinning, it was super easy to just import a fog-of-war map from Dyson's work. I think we got up to Level 7 of the map before Covid hit and the game stalled.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Crossposting from the D&D thread, can you folks point me in the direction of some strongly visual puzzles, possibly (but not necessarily) ones I can incorporate into a battlemap on Roll20?

We’re coming up on the finale of a long 5e campaign I run for a group of teens, and I’m breaking the final dungeon into parts that lean heavily into their individual interests. One of them is powerfully ADHD and on the autism spectrum, and tends to struggle with maintaining focus unless there's something visual to engage with; he's also an absolute fiend for puzzles and puzzle games. Unfortunately, I am emphatically not a puzzle guy, so if I want to give him a big crazy puzzle to solve, possibly in the midst of a fight, I'm going to either have to steal it or have some really good examples to draw from that he isn't going to immediately recognize and instantly know how to solve. I'm told he's a big fan of games like Patrick’s Parabox, Sokobond, Bean and Nothingness, and Understand.

Any ideas for stuff that can be adapted, shamelessly stolen, etc.?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kestral posted:

Crossposting from the D&D thread, can you folks point me in the direction of some strongly visual puzzles, possibly (but not necessarily) ones I can incorporate into a battlemap on Roll20?

We’re coming up on the finale of a long 5e campaign I run for a group of teens, and I’m breaking the final dungeon into parts that lean heavily into their individual interests. One of them is powerfully ADHD and on the autism spectrum, and tends to struggle with maintaining focus unless there's something visual to engage with; he's also an absolute fiend for puzzles and puzzle games. Unfortunately, I am emphatically not a puzzle guy, so if I want to give him a big crazy puzzle to solve, possibly in the midst of a fight, I'm going to either have to steal it or have some really good examples to draw from that he isn't going to immediately recognize and instantly know how to solve. I'm told he's a big fan of games like Patrick’s Parabox, Sokobond, Bean and Nothingness, and Understand.

i've always been fond of the "worm" or "step on each tile exactly once"-type puzzles that crop up a lot in 2D Zelda games, and you can let players cheat with teleportation, flight, etc. so that solving the puzzle in the strictest / most traditional sense isn't necessary

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i've always been fond of the "worm" or "step on each tile exactly once"-type puzzles that crop up a lot in 2D Zelda games, and you can let players cheat with teleportation, flight, etc. so that solving the puzzle in the strictest / most traditional sense isn't necessary

If you're willing to spoil yourself on Lufia II, I bet its walkthrough describes a lot of these frustrating puzzles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd like to thank That Old Tree for his service as an IK in a few threads in TG the last year or so. He's decided to step down, citing a need to spend more time with his family, which I believe means he is going to run for president soon. I'd vote for him!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

I'd like to thank That Old Tree for his service as an IK in a few threads in TG the last year or so. He's decided to step down, citing a need to spend more time with his family, which I believe means he is going to run for president soon. I'd vote for him!

Isn't that what usually happens when people withdraw from running? Either way, thank you for your service!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

These are technically called Hamiltonian Paths and there’s a bunch of theory and examples of them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hyphz posted:

These are technically called Hamiltonian Paths and there’s a bunch of theory and examples of them.

as long as they don't break out into tacky musical numbers i won't hold it against them

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you, I almost probably won't use this opportunity to take my definitely extensive insider knowledge of SA to start an alt-right grift.

On a serious note, I'm sure my tenure wasn't what one would call impressive, but I sincerely volunteered because I believe this is a good TTRPG community and I wanted to do what I can to help it along. I'm sorry I couldn't be more proactive in doing so, but I do want to stress that I appreciate the community in general and the mods and IKs in particular for making it that way. You're all a bunch of goons in the best way.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Now I'm imagining a competitive version, where you claim territory by stepping on it and the other team does, too, but if you step on your own team's territory, there is some consequence. (Maybe you lose all your team's progress in an area. Or maybe you just take damage or something.) Whoever has more at the end of each round gets some benefit in the fight (regeneration?). I'd probably give the enemies a head start or initial advantage to give the players some urgency to focus on that part of the puzzle.

I don't know how you'd flavor it up, but it seems like something I'd like to work on while waiting for my turn to show up.

Edit: Wait, I just thought of how to flavor it: you're a kid now, you're a squid now, you're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, you're a squid now...

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 1, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kestral posted:

Here's a puzzle I made once that has roots in actual occult traditions and so works well for anything magic:

Find a magic square, one of those where the numbers in each row and column add up to the same thing. Incorporate that into the battle map. Each map square is a numbers square, obviously.
Introduce the players to numerology. Seed the information somewhere that each number corresponds to a letter of the alphabet.
(A 5x5 magic square featuring numbers 1-25 works really well, but 6x6 is also fine; you can add extra characters to your alphabet to make it more occult.)
The objective in the actual encounter is to spell a word on the magic square, using the corresponding numbers for letters. This requires you to visit certain squares in a particular order, probably while besieged by enemies. Make it so you have to take an action to do a magic thing on each square so it's not just moving around, or it'll be over too soon. The encounter's gimmick should be that the party has to protect the one member who's doing the running and magicking and keep the path clear.
There are many ways the party could learn which word to spell. In the occult tradition it's usually a magic word or the name of a spirit (fairly interchangable concepts). This might be written down somewhere, or it might be represented by an angular symbol that you can overlay on the magic square to give you the path. (An extra step might be to require the word to be spelled backwards, to reverse whatever effect is in place or unsummon whatever spirit.)
This could well be a recurring puzzle, with the magic square becoming larger each time and the word becoming longer, and the clue to the word ever more obfuscated.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 1, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

My Lovely Horse posted:

Here's a puzzle I made once that has roots in actual occult traditions and so works well for anything magic:

Find a magic square, one of those where the numbers in each row and column add up to the same thing. Incorporate that into the battle map. Each map square is a numbers square, obviously.
Introduce the players to numerology. Seed the information somewhere that each number corresponds to a letter of the alphabet.
(A 5x5 magic square featuring numbers 1-25 works really well, but 6x6 is also fine; you can add extra characters to your alphabet to make it more occult.)
The objective in the actual encounter is to spell a word on the magic square, using the corresponding numbers for letters. This requires you to visit certain squares in a particular order, probably while besieged by enemies. Make it so you have to take an action to do a magic thing on each square so it's not just moving around, or it'll be over too soon. The encounter's gimmick should be that the party has to protect the one member who's doing the running and magicking and keep the path clear.
There are many ways the party could learn which word to spell. In the occult tradition it's usually a magic word or the name of a spirit (fairly interchangable concepts). This might be written down somewhere, or it might be represented by an angular symbol that you can overlay on the magic square to give you the path. (An extra step might be to require the word to be spelled backwards, to reverse whatever effect is in place or unsummon whatever spirit.)
This could well be a recurring puzzle, with the magic square becoming larger each time and the word becoming longer, and the clue to the word ever more obfuscated.

This fits the final boss's aesthetic ("Evil Geometry Lich") and the player in question's character ("Artisan-Mage") so perfectly that I'm pretty much obligated to put this into at least one of the dungeons. Thank you!

I'm intrigued by Competitive Hamiltonian Paths that Tuxedo Catfish, Absurd Alhazred, and Jimbozig have been discussing, too: could be a great way to represent fighting for control of some kind of vast geomantic engine, where you're trying to complete a route of arcane circuitry to accomplish your desired effect before the guardians of the complex do the same and cut you out of the system / trip the alarms etc. I'm convinced that I need to do something with the Herschel Graph now, because of this sentence if nothing else:

quote:

This polyhedron has the property that its faces cannot be numbered in such a way that consecutive numbers appear on adjacent faces, and such that the first and last number are also on adjacent faces. Because polyhedral face numberings of this type are used as "spindown life counters" in the game Magic: The Gathering, Constantinides & Constantinides (2018) name the canonical polyhedron realization of this dual polyhedron as "the Lich's nemesis".[3]

If other folks have ideas, please lay 'em on me!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Isn't this the kind of thing that Summon Skate was designed around?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

hyphz posted:

Isn't this the kind of thing that Summon Skate was designed around?

Ha, good catch! The game even has an investigative component, but it’s more “narrow down your symbol choices from a list” than “figure out what the symbol even is” (i.e., by the time you have to start drawing you already know what you’re supposed to draw, rather than just doodling and hoping you guess right).

I did manage to get Summon Skate working on a Roll20 map, but it wasn’t the smoothest experience.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Trick people into playing Othello.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

Trick people into playing Othello.

That game needs a massive rebalance.

Iago is way OP in the hidden movement section, but otherwise super weak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is there a thread where you can show your poo poo and ask how much money said poo poo might be worth?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Is there a thread where you can show your poo poo and ask how much money said poo poo might be worth?

You are better off going to a specialized doctor for that, probably a gastroenterologist.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Are you talking about how much to sell your creations for, or how much to resell other's products that you no longer want?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

That Old Tree posted:

Are you talking about how much to sell your creations for, or how much to resell other's products that you no longer want?

I don't even want to sell them. I am just curious what these are worth.

Apparently alot according to Noble Knight: https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Star-Wars-WOTC-Saga-Edition

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

I don't even want to sell them. I am just curious what these are worth.

Apparently alot according to Noble Knight: https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Star-Wars-WOTC-Saga-Edition

Which is funny cause last time I tried to get Noble Knight to buy my stuff(including two of the books you have there) they gave me an insultingly low offer, like I get they have to make a profit but it was still stupid low

Covok
May 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Which is funny cause last time I tried to get Noble Knight to buy my stuff(including two of the books you have there) they gave me an insultingly low offer, like I get they have to make a profit but it was still stupid low

Well, they probably aren't gonna give me MSRP for it, ya know? If they're selling Threats Of The Galaxy at $110, I am not getting $110. But the out of stock stuff, who knows?

Not actually planning to sell, though. I thought I lost these books last night. And I mentioned they were out of print and my sister in law said they were probably worth a lot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

Well, they probably aren't gonna give me MSRP for it, ya know? If they're selling Threats Of The Galaxy at $110, I am not getting $110. But the out of stock stuff, who knows?

Not actually planning to sell, though. I thought I lost these books last night. And I mentioned they were out of print and my sister in law said they were probably worth a lot.

To put it in perspective I was trying to sell them at least ten books, they wanted to give me only $70 bucks for the whole pile, like I said that is an insult considering they were selling one of those for $110

Covok
May 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

To put it in perspective I was trying to sell them at least ten books, they wanted to give me only $70 bucks for the whole pile, like I said that is an insult considering they were selling one of those for $110

drat, I didn't pick up on the fact some were the same books. That's low.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I will say that my interactions with selling to Noble Knight Games have been entirely positive, but then again, I was selling a bunch of RPG books and CCG cards that I was never going to touch again and just wanted the space back, so I 100% didn't care about the profit. They made it real easy.

There was one time I reached out about a NIS OOP game I have that was listed for a lot of money, and they didn't get back to me. It's since been reprinted. :negative: (Honestly, they probably knew it was getting a reprint and weren't going to shell out dumb money for it.)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had a similar experience trying to sell Star Wars Saga Edition and Star Wars Roleplaying Game books and their offer was comically low. I made more than the offer for about 19 books, including some rare 3.X Forgotten Realms stuff, just selling the most valuable ones myself.

I understand they need to make a profit and wasn't expecting $110 a book or whatever they're selling it for but it was close to Gamestop levels bad. I'm sure it's fine if you want to clean out your book case of dead weight that's not really worth much but if you have something rare and/or valuable, don't go through them. Try to sell it yourself unless you have a good local FLGS that buys stuff at a reasonable rate or does a consignment type situation.

Customer service wise they were alright but very much take it or leave it from the start, no willingness to negotiate. I'm sure they probably don't have to or need to but it's definitely not an environment where you're going to really cash in on your collection.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would be surprised if any online reseller paid more than 10-20% of what they intend to sell something for, for a book. They must get shipped so much damaged crap, and just because they're pricing something at $110 doesn't mean they're selling out their inventory at that price.

If you want close to full value, you gotta do all the legwork of selling yourself. I suggest you make a thread in SA-Mart and link it from here and from any related star wars RPG threads.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I actually have a local gaming group that both loves Star Wars and has money to burn if their loving Disney world star wars trips mean anything; so if you want to sell them for real let me know and I'll show them that pic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, I actually have a local gaming group that both loves Star Wars and has money to burn if their loving Disney world star wars trips mean anything; so if you want to sell them for real let me know and I'll show them that pic.
Definitely transact this via a SA-Mart thread, even if it's just formalizing in two posts, to protect both of you please. SA-Mart has some specific rules and the public posting of the goods, the agreed-upon price, and terms, and so doing it that way is a good way to make sure any dispute later can be handled by SA-Mart mods.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Definitely transact this via a SA-Mart thread, even if it's just formalizing in two posts, to protect both of you please. SA-Mart has some specific rules and the public posting of the goods, the agreed-upon price, and terms, and so doing it that way is a good way to make sure any dispute later can be handled by SA-Mart mods.

Good call, thanks. OP suggests they don't even really wanna sell, but if you just want to know what my friends ~might theoretically pay~ hit me up OP and we'll take it to SA Mart.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Leperflesh posted:

I would be surprised if any online reseller paid more than 10-20% of what they intend to sell something for, for a book. They must get shipped so much damaged crap, and just because they're pricing something at $110 doesn't mean they're selling out their inventory at that price.
They’re great for buying from, but as far as selling to goes…well, they send me coupons all the time that are just “sell to us and get an extra 10 (or 20, sometimes 30)% on top of our quote!”; figure if they can up the buy price that much for “oh I have a coupon”, they’ve gotta be lowballing hard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AmiYumi posted:

They’re great for buying from, but as far as selling to goes…well, they send me coupons all the time that are just “sell to us and get an extra 10 (or 20, sometimes 30)% on top of our quote!”; figure if they can up the buy price that much for “oh I have a coupon”, they’ve gotta be lowballing hard.
I imagine they get a lot of stock from liquidating nerd collections of various sorts to people to whom "Wow, $150 plus shipping for all this geek poo poo? Sounds great" when piecing it out on ebay might have made several grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah my copy of Fae's Anatomy came in.