Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Jack Adams winner's big statement on his team maybe being screwed by a call was "oh well you know I didn't see it so yeah uh"

Maybe Woodcroft could learn something.

I really hate that I like anything about the Flames but lmao Darryl Sutter is really the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think Jay Woodcroft mentioning his player being headshotted and it not being called means he thinks headshots are allowed in the rules.

It's pretty rich saying that the league should look at Landeskog's hit, when his team was gooning it up the entire last 10 minutes of the game.

I guess I should modify my post that you quoted:

It's like they think it's legal for them to do those things, but illegal for anyone else to do so

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
love playoff posts complaining about complaining. all things circular

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Wonderllama posted:

love playoff posts complaining about complaining. all things circular

oh ya? well I hate them!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Misanthrope posted:

Why did the Islanders trade Toews for two 2nd rounders?

He was going to arbitration and they wouldn't have been able to fit him under the cap having to re-sign Barzal and Pulock that year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

He was going to arbitration and they wouldn't have been able to fit him under the cap having to re-sign Barzal and Pulock that year.

Yeah, there's no way they could have fit Toews' exorbitant $4.1M cap hit without moving out a critical contributor like Leddy, Pageau or Clutterbuck.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

OldSenileGuy posted:

It’s easy to say Gallant “adapted” when, in this case, he adapted by swapping out the bad gritty veteran with a not-as-bad gritty veteran.

But I have no doubt that if we hadn’t picked up Braun, Nemeth would still be playing, and the vastly superior option of Zac Jones would be sitting in the press box.

I know people love this "play the kids!" thing but I think Jones/Schneider would be a loving terrible idea going into the playoffs. They'd get targeted and worked the gently caress over. Jones would for sure contribute more offensively but I think he'd be as bad or worse than Braun or Nemeth when forced to defend in his own zone.

If it was going to be a thing I think having them play together for a good long while in the regular season would be the time to do it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I know people love this "play the kids!" thing but I think Jones/Schneider would be a loving terrible idea going into the playoffs. They'd get targeted and worked the gently caress over. Jones would for sure contribute more offensively but I think he'd be as bad or worse than Braun or Nemeth when forced to defend in his own zone.

If it was going to be a thing I think having them play together for a good long while in the regular season would be the time to do it

yeah Braun has been fine to good, honestly. Schneider too. Jones could have been more of an issue, but he would have been ready if we had been playing him on the third pair all season. but Braun has played it generally even.

the bigger issue was that that pair got more time with Rooney/Reaves before Motte and Goodrow came back, and they were getting worked as a unit. It's hard to overstate how big of an impact having those guys back has been. I Get The Contract now.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1532764508225150976
https://twitter.com/zjlaing/status/1532522623573184513

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You're not allowed to bring up the guy who got concussed from a dangerous hit, only the potential concussions from dangerous hits.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That angle kinda sucks, but Yamamoto gets popped in the shoulder there?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

yeah Braun has been fine to good, honestly. Schneider too. Jones could have been more of an issue, but he would have been ready if we had been playing him on the third pair all season. but Braun has played it generally even.

the bigger issue was that that pair got more time with Rooney/Reaves before Motte and Goodrow came back, and they were getting worked as a unit. It's hard to overstate how big of an impact having those guys back has been. I Get The Contract now.

Yeah, if the third pair had been Jones/Schneider for a good chunk of the year I'd be cool with running that into the playoffs, but Schneider wasn't even fully in the lineup until halfway or whatever. Throwing Jones into the playoffs without that kind of settle in period would be tough.

And yeah, like, Goodrow isn't exactly producing in the playoffs right now but I think he elevates that fourth line a lot and gives you options, and seems to have given the whole team a boost. "Cup experience" may seem kinda dumb but I can't help but think it is useful for a group like this to have a guy like Goodrow saying "this is what you have to do"

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

bloo bloo bloo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sjhurley95/status/1532735651728306185

He went right through his head

This isn't an excuse for Drasaitil getting pissy when he's upset or the Oilers gooning it up later in the game but the idea that the coach shouldn't mention it is just insane.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Frame 313 does seem to show some head contact, you can see how Kailer's head goes back and to the left.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Levitate posted:

"Cup experience" may seem kinda dumb but I can't help but think it is useful for a group like this to have a guy like Goodrow saying "this is what you have to do"

Exactly. It's really not dumb to want experienced players like him because playoffs are so much about mental fortitude, weathering storms, compete level, etc. It does have some value to have won before and to guide a younger team through a playoff run.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm actually curious if anyone has even seen what Woodcroft said cause he was asked directly about the hit and said he thought it was a dangerous hit but that its the referees call and not his job. It was the most benign answer a guy could give.

I'm legit curious how anyone could be upset about his answer???

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, but he’s in a dangerous position because he’s only 5’ tall. Sure it sucks if he got hurt, but that’s not even a hit with much in it and he connects through the shoulder. Not every injury is a penalty and not every hit is a penalty.

But as a coach he should absolutely be complaining about it. Gotta try to influence the next game however he can. And when his team still goes out and goons it up unsuccessfully again in game 4 he will complain again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can smash a dude's head all you want as long as you get a bit of shoulder or chest at the same time, and if you don't like that then keep your head up, kid! When I was coaching the Boston Bruins we used ta take a stack of those dollar store plates - you know what I mean the ones that yeah and just smash them on the front of the head like - what? You have the clip now? Okay roll it see right here

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Headhunting is cool and good, the league office has been consistent and clear about this. The onus is on players to protect themselves from it, if they can't do that then they don't belong in the man's league.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Headhunting is cool and good, the league office has been consistent and clear about this. The onus is on players to protect themselves from it, if they can't do that then they don't belong in the man's league.

It's true. If they cared they would have at least fined some of the Oilers for the elbows they were aiming at heads with.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jhet posted:

Yeah, but he’s in a dangerous position because he’s only 5’ tall. Sure it sucks if he got hurt, but that’s not even a hit with much in it and he connects through the shoulder. Not every injury is a penalty and not every hit is a penalty.

But as a coach he should absolutely be complaining about it. Gotta try to influence the next game however he can. And when his team still goes out and goons it up unsuccessfully again in game 4 he will complain again.
Yamamoto certainly didn't help himself with the dangerous positioning either. Yamamoto never once looks to his right from about the top of the red circles in his own end all the way until the hit, so he travels half the ice surface with Landy at his right side and the entire time Yamamoto is looking left. Then after he accepts the pass he puts his head low, probably not even realizing that Landeskog has been 5 feet to his side for the last 5 or 6 seconds

Sorry for youtube screenshots, the play button won't work if you try to click it.

it's not a penalty because it's through the shoulder, and playing the body is the right move there for Landeskog, but it does suck a lot that Yamamoto got hurt. Seems like there were a lot of these kinds of injuries this year of a check through the shoulder/chest hitting the head, and the league should probably consider some kind of rule change to discourage this kind of legal-but-dangerous hit, but I doubt they will.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sjhurley95/status/1532735651728306185

He went right through his head

This isn't an excuse for Drasaitil getting pissy when he's upset or the Oilers gooning it up later in the game but the idea that the coach shouldn't mention it is just insane.

This is just as clean as at least a dozen other hits the NHL has deemed good hockey plays.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the nhl does not care about keeping its players safe and you should disavow yourself of any notion that they do

the nhlpa also does not seem to care about keeping its players safe, and that one should make you real depressed

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

the Oilers should in fact be kept less safe than anyone else because they employ Evander Kane

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
speaking of hits, the Athletic ran a nice piece about Trouba:

The Athletic posted:

Much of this hasn’t gone over very well in the 2020s NHL, where we have to reconcile increased attention on the long-term effects of head injuries with a sport that is still physical and can legally still be violent, especially in pursuit of a Stanley Cup. But as Trouba rides the edge of how much damage the league allows a player to inflict, he’s also drawn the admiration of a couple of the biggest hitters of the 1990s and 2000s.

“The guy knows how to hit, and he can change the game,” Darius Kasparaitis, one of the league’s all-time hard-hitting defensemen, told The Athletic.

“Trouba’s been doing that for years,” Tampa coach Jon Cooper said. “The unfortunate result of what happened the other night (with Jarvis), I don’t think anyone including Trouba wants to see that. But everybody’s well aware of guys that can hit you. Going into a corner with Trouba versus someone else on their team, you probably have a different mindset. I would assume they have that same thought process about some of our guys.

“Trouba’s a good player in this league. I was part of that North American team (at the World Cup) in 2016, and Troubs was on it; he’s been a heck of a player in this league and a physical presence. And you do need that on teams that advance.”

Jarvis said Thursday he didn’t have a problem with the hit. It’s doubtful many Carolina fans (or Pittsburgh fans) feel the same way. That’s a reminder that the environment outside the NHL, especially in the playoffs, is nothing like what’s discussed or viewed inside the locker room. And even at that, Pronger agrees with Kasparaitis that today’s young NHLers have to be more prepared for big contact, especially in the playoffs.

“The less people hit, the more players like Trouba stand out and the less prepared for his hits guys are,” Pronger said. “Guys just get lackadaisical, and you can’t afford to do that as a pro. You end up getting injured, and guys like him have free rein.”

seeing Kaspar's name reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoJqaswC7vw

where I think it's a little more clear cut on the second one that he got his hands up towards Mario, but lmao at Mario doing the subtle cross-check headfirst into the boards and then trying to sell a couple calls. no wonder they traded for him.

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah that was nice. Gotta be scary as gently caress going 1 on 1 with McD at speed.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1532517038928830473

To Wonderllama's point though, he just had good spacing and kept him to the outside. But gently caress that is fast for backward skating.

IIRC McDavid really wanted Keith because he said Keith was one of the few guys (back a few years ago) that defended him well. I'm guessing it's probably odd for him to play against someone who is even somewhat close to him in skating agility. Prime Keith was like that, and Makar is probably the most agile skater in the league outside of Connor. hopefully it's not a Jagr-Hal Gill thing where there's just one guy that can shut him down. in Makar's case, I think he's good against everyone, but if I was Woodcroft, I would consider going something like Kane-Draisaitl-Hyman/Kassian/Puljujarvi and try to just throw a bunch of big guys at him and keep Connor against the slower rest of the Colorado D.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This is just as clean as at least a dozen other hits the NHL has deemed good hockey plays.

to wit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bKvAz45eMk

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

I know they didn't go nuts in the playoffs and instead just had Kadri gently caress up Binnington for revenge, but man, Barbashev really needs to answer the bell for that one first game back next season. there better be a line brawl and/or like 5-6 fights that game. the Stars need to get in on it, too. O'Reilly better drop em with someone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

1. lol that out of everything in that video, Kasparaitis got a roughing for possibly the most legal check?
2. you serious with that turtleneck?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't say this lightly at all but Kasparaitis might have been the dirtiest little fucker that ever played in the NHL. He lived to hurt people, and loved to cover it over with a poo poo-eating-grin "aw shucks, I didn't mean to, I just love playing hockey as hard as I can" act for the media. The specific outlawing of the knee-to-knee hit was informally but widely called the Kasparaitis Rule.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

1. lol that out of everything in that video, Kasparaitis got a roughing for possibly the most legal check?
2. you serious with that turtleneck?

I think it was that lol, leading a hit like that is chef's kiss

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't say this lightly at all but Kasparaitis might have been the dirtiest little fucker that ever played in the NHL. He lived to hurt people, and loved to cover it over with a poo poo-eating-grin "aw shucks, I didn't mean to, I just love playing hockey as hard as I can" act for the media. The specific outlawing of the knee-to-knee hit was informally but widely called the Kasparaitis Rule.

yeah if we're going with little dudes, Kaspar is up there for sure. Kaspar was more of the low-hip-check-to-the-knee like Darcy Tucker, though, IMO. The undisputed king of the knee-on-knee though was/is Bryan Marchment, and that one I don't think is particularly close. he did stuff with knee hits that was...creative even. he was an injury artíste. here he is running Joe Nieuwendyk's knee directly into the boards. i'm 100% sure he was trying to fracture Joe's kneecap or something here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip3bWzEgIhE

e: man I probably defend every borderline hit around here, but some of these are hard to watch even for me. here's him with a blatant one on Modano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAOiIxNASo

or the infamous one on Rucinsky, probably the literal textbook definition of a knee-on-knee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnCHMwddJCY&t=63s

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 4, 2022

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

speaking of hits, the Athletic ran a nice piece about Trouba:

seeing Kaspar's name reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoJqaswC7vw

where I think it's a little more clear cut on the second one that he got his hands up towards Mario, but lmao at Mario doing the subtle cross-check headfirst into the boards and then trying to sell a couple calls. no wonder they traded for him.

IIRC McDavid really wanted Keith because he said Keith was one of the few guys (back a few years ago) that defended him well. I'm guessing it's probably odd for him to play against someone who is even somewhat close to him in skating agility. Prime Keith was like that, and Makar is probably the most agile skater in the league outside of Connor. hopefully it's not a Jagr-Hal Gill thing where there's just one guy that can shut him down. in Makar's case, I think he's good against everyone, but if I was Woodcroft, I would consider going something like Kane-Draisaitl-Hyman/Kassian/Puljujarvi and try to just throw a bunch of big guys at him and keep Connor against the slower rest of the Colorado D.

I mean most of the Avs defense is fast though. I think putting McDavid on a different line than Draisaitl AND Kane seems like a mistake.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Kaspar was a dirty little poo poo and I didn't like him as a player either, but I'll forever love his OT goal and celebration.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean most of the Avs defense is fast though. I think putting McDavid on a different line than Draisaitl AND Kane seems like a mistake.

I don’t know if line changes will help. The point I was making is that colorados team defense strategy changed and was super effective against Conner, and now Edmonton needs to adapt a much better zone entry strategy. Dump and chase obviously would work, but will mcdavid dump and chase?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Kaspar was a dirty little poo poo and I didn't like him as a player either, but I'll forever love his OT goal and celebration.

I admit his gleefully shouting "I OWN Hasek, I've scored twice on him now" after the game was awesome at the time

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The 90s/early 00s Penguins were much more hateable than any iteration of the Crosby era Penguins. I hated Lemieux and Kasparaitis and Martin Straka and loving Petr Nedved more than I’ve ever hated Crosby or Malkin.

Probably hated them more because my 7th grade math teacher was a huge Penguins fan and he’d needle me every time the Penguins beat the Capitals, i.e. all the loving time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

eXXon posted:

you serious with that turtleneck?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah there's no way they called the Marchment rule that

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I have to admit all i knew about the rangers for most of the year was that they were supposed to be rebuilding i think?

and now they're 6 wins away from a cup win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

I have to admit all i knew about the rangers for most of the year was that they were supposed to be rebuilding i think?

and now they're 6 wins away from a cup win

In conclusion if the Penguins had a healthy goalie they would have won the cupgotten swept by Colorado in the finals