Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Beat Delirium with Tainted Lost so broken runs definitely exist. My collection included:
Deaths touch
Tough love (triple damage with perfection)
Twisted pair
Book of dead (protection in the way halo of flies used to be)
Birds Eye (constant fire removing all bullets)
Echo chamber + PhD - didn't end up doing much but capped out speed by the end of the second floor and helped boost shot speed up to 3.16

6.5 Tears, 13 damage and 14 luck (perfection).

Only sadness was no conjoined or guppy. Both 2/3.
FQDL 8TZL

That sounds good, but a far cry from broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Sad Panda posted:

Edit - after killing Delirium I managed to kill myself messing around. Torn Card is so bad. Who would possibly want ipecac boomeranging back at themselves?

Edmund would.

I finally finished Greed Mode on the last character, and I just don't want to do that mode ever again. I hate it so much.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I unlocked Tainted Eden and that was the fastest/most fun I've had playing through a character. I got all the marks in about a day. Just hoarding items and learning to adapt to the ever changing conditions was so awesome.

I also finally learned how to play Bethany. Just get a one charge item and spam wisps. Guppy's Head was like God Mode. I just saved all my blue heart charges until the Mother/Beast fights.

I had the Mother check mark left for Apollyon and I bailed on the Void when I got Sprinkler and it proved to be the right choice. I also kept a Sun card for several floors until the end and that helped. I had the Curse of the Unknown so I had to mentally keep track of my health.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 2, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone remember launch Tainted Eden? 2/3 runs getting killed by shard of glass, avoiding all devil/curse room/red chest items so you don't get 9 livesed... I still kind of hate the character, personally, but they're so much better than they used to be.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Wait what changed on Tainted Eden? I haven't played him since pretty much launch because it was so obnoxious

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Fattest PI posted:

Wait what changed on Tainted Eden? I haven't played him since pretty much launch because it was so obnoxious

You only item swap when hit by enemies / spikes / fire
Curse room doors, blood banks, self-damage etc don't count anymore

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Torn Card is so bad. Who would possibly want ipecac boomeranging back at themselves? I'm glad you get the credit for the kill and not touching the treasure chest.

The ipecac shot is strong as hell and you can use it to break rocks and open secret rooms. It's a pretty high risk/high reward trinket in the early game, but past the basement floors it's not worth the risk unless you have host hat/pyromaniac.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
On the topic of broken runs:

Hemalocria + Sulfur + Twisted Pair is the baseline, and I was rushing so this whole run probably only took me ~25 minutes.

And this is a combo I've not used before. Every time I get a broken run in Repentance it's unique and interesting. Old Isaac was way less varied.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I had time for a couple games today so I decided to knock out some challenges. I haven't done a lot of them, and there was even a decent chunk of the original set of challenges I hadn't finished yet. I managed to finish all the left over original challenges first try.
I can't believe I've been playing all this time without
Credit Card
Berkano
Swallowed Penny
Burnt Penny

They were not hard to unlock :ughh:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Brains is one I have bypassed for now. What a pain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

I had time for a couple games today so I decided to knock out some challenges. I haven't done a lot of them, and there was even a decent chunk of the original set of challenges I hadn't finished yet. I managed to finish all the left over original challenges first try.
I can't believe I've been playing all this time without
Credit Card
Berkano
Swallowed Penny
Burnt Penny

They were not hard to unlock :ughh:

If it makes you feel better credit card is like a once every 20+ runs kind of item. Swallowed penny is pretty big, though, especially if you're going for keeper unlocks.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It is unfortunate that the 3rd HP coin on the keeper is locked behind Hush, and also unfortunate that I didn't realize that before getting most of the post its

I guess I should gun for it now before hitting the repentence stuff

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

It is unfortunate that the 3rd HP coin on the keeper is locked behind Hush, and also unfortunate that I didn't realize that before getting most of the post its

That unlock used to just start you with an extra penny, so just think of it like you suffered along with all the pre-repentance players in spirit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah that always seemed like the ultimate middle finger of unlocks back then. But even if it had stayed that way the inherent problen of 2 coin hp keeper has been fixed, namely that they now let you pay for devil deals and angel rooms dont blow anymore

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh a lot of the original pain in the rear end challenges got way easier in repentance (Bob's Brain having actual scaling is v good) and some of the easier ones actually got harder lol. Overall there's a number of challenges I had already completed I think I would have prefered to do in Repentance.

ArfJason posted:

Yeah that always seemed like the ultimate middle finger of unlocks back then. But even if it had stayed that way the inherent problen of 2 coin hp keeper has been fixed, namely that they now let you pay for devil deals and angel rooms dont blow anymore

I know this sort of posting about posters but Arf what the hell happened for you to get that avatar lol.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Speed, Seeing Double and maybe Ultra Hard are the only challenges that got harder in Repentance, the rest of them got way easier through item buffs or transformations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Kit posted:

I know this sort of posting about posters but Arf what the hell happened for you to get that avatar lol.

Lol. But, I mean, you noticed him, didn't you?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Fattest PI posted:

It's not entirely locked behind Hush. What beating Hush does in Repentance is set your starting Coin Hearts to 3, but Repentance actually lets you raise your HP with HP ups to that amount. It's just until you beat Hush, you just start out with 2 coin hearts instead. But any HP up item you find will grant him the 3rd heart. So even without Hush, you just need to survive until you find an HP up, then the run becomes way more forgiving.

Which is still far better than what Afterbirth saddled him with where it was 2 hearts period, lower speed, any damage he took locked him out of devil rooms, and devil rooms took away his coin hearts, and Angel Rooms sucked back then so going for those wasn't a great strategy either. Dude was just loving miserable to play before Repentance. Also health down pills could spawn for him back in AB. :shepface: They can't anymore thankfully.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 4, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah keeper was what burned me out of the game in like 2016 but shot up to one of my favorite characters in repentance

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Lol i like to troll

Also i forgot taking any damage with keeper used to take your deal chance. What a horrible nightnare he was

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Tbh a lot of the original pain in the rear end challenges got way easier in repentance (Bob's Brain having actual scaling is v good) and some of the easier ones actually got harder lol. Overall there's a number of challenges I had already completed I think I would have prefered to do in Repentance.

God, "Brains!" was such a pain in the rear end. It felt like it took dozens of hits to take down the later bosses.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Evil Kit posted:

Tbh a lot of the original pain in the rear end challenges got way easier in repentance (Bob's Brain having actual scaling is v good)

Good to hear, as I am just clearing checkmarks in Afterbirth until I buy Repentance at the next Steam sale. I got to ??? in the Brains challenge but just missed clearing it... the damage is so weak.

And yes I am being cheap but I barely have time to play so I don't mind waiting for the sale.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah for your mental health levae some of the worst challenges till you get rep cause a lot of rebalances make some of the challenges a lot easier

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Yeah for your mental health levae some of the worst challenges till you get rep cause a lot of rebalances make some of the challenges a lot easier

what happened to your av

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Augus posted:

what happened to your av

ArfJason posted:

Lol i like to troll

someone mad, dont worry ab it

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ArfJason posted:

About challenges: I'm currently trying to complete Bloody Mary (the one where your passive stabs away all your hearts at the start of every floor), finally found a Placenta but I'm giving myself some red hearts with the debug console at the start of every floor because the item is as excruciatingly slow as I remember. :( Honestly, is this even considered cheating? Do you guys mess with the console too on occasion? I'd get all my hearts in time anyway!

The only other times I used the console is when I forgot to keep "The Fool" right before Mom in a Beast run.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah the only time i used the console was when i re-entered the mom fight after putting the polaroid in the home door

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I have 100% completion, so I use the console to remove items that are actively harming whatever build I have going. Like if an alt floor gives me Cursed Eye from a blind pick, I'll remove that and keep going.

Or sometimes I'll set up a build at the start and see how far I can get with it. The console is really useful and powerful, so I don't see a reason to hold off on using it to do interesting things. So yeah, don't feel bad about spawning in some red hearts to keep the runs pace up on Bloody Mary.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

DoubleNegative posted:

I have 100% completion, so I use the console to remove items that are actively harming whatever build I have going. Like if an alt floor gives me Cursed Eye from a blind pick, I'll remove that and keep going.

Or sometimes I'll set up a build at the start and see how far I can get with it. The console is really useful and powerful, so I don't see a reason to hold off on using it to do interesting things. So yeah, don't feel bad about spawning in some red hearts to keep the runs pace up on Bloody Mary.

Wouldn't have done it if I didn't find Placenta of course! I'd have to wait 30 minutes to 1 hour to get my hearts back otherwise, which is kinda dumb. I'd call this good time management instead of cheating, though I still feel bad about using the console.

On another note, I'm finally having lots of fun with Repentance. The massive, unfair difficulty spike I felt at release (I'm talking april 2021) made me leave the game right away, but now between the balance patches for characters/items and the Repentance unlocks being really strong I feel like the game is in a really good spot. There's no character I find unplayable anymore and even Tainted Jacob plays kind of ok now.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I didnt use any mods or console until i 100% the game and i still dont use the console. The only mods i allowed myself to download are stuff like item descriptions and antibirth music.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mostly I use the console for helping to test mechanics or such

For casual usage not all too often, but now that I've 100%ed, it's nice for correcting really stupid mistakes like going down the wrong path accidentally.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't use the console, but after I got Dead God, I downloaded a ton of QoL mods and recently I downloaded a mod that gives you Sacred Orb to start every run because all I want to do when I start up Isaac these days is demolish it.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm trying to get to boss rush+hush on keeper, and I keep getting runs full of 0 dps upgrades, and a whole lot of 0 rarity garbage in the item rooms. I finally got a decent run going and got instakilled in a room right before boss rush and rage quit haha fuuuuuuuuuck

I have a hard time making the boss rush timer for some reason. I was even skipping item rooms if it was out of my way.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I did Magdalene's boss rush + Hush earlier. If I don't get Devil rooms it's tough. I'm going for Mega Satan checkmark with her next, and it will be a more relaxed goal. I'm a mediocre player and I usually need some speed boost + nice damage items to get boss rush / Hush with any reliability.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Oh my god, I finally got a decent run going with keeper, and then I picked up C-Section and I was blasting through rooms in seconds. I was at Mom's door at 10 minutes.
The last room was a 2x2 and it had 2 of those boss guys that go underground. They killed me by popping up under me repeatedly. I had Venus so there was a weird interaction when they got charmed as they got close, so I couldn't predict them like you'd normally do, and just popped up on top of me over and over. oh my loving god so frustrating

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

still trying to unlock Birthright over here

I've beaten Boss Rush with them and yet I still cannot just beat ??? lmao

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Only 3 to go to unlock Mega Mush. Jacob & Esau greedier, Lost Mother & Lost Beast.

Does More Options actually appear in greed mode? Would make that Greedier a lot easier.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Only 3 to go to unlock Mega Mush. Jacob & Esau greedier, Lost Mother & Lost Beast.

Does More Options actually appear in greed mode? Would make that Greedier a lot easier.

Nope. More Options, There's Options and Options? are not found in any of the greed mode item pools, so you need a Spindown Dice to get them.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

pica run is fun, tainted lost not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I needed to beat Hush to finish my Lilith checkmarks. R-scummed my way to Ipecac, which was later paired with Pyromaniac. Later on, I got Guppy. Goodnight, sweet prince.