Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

Quick rules question - when Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker creates a copy of Anarchist, it's ETB triggers, correct?

Yes. A copy of a creature has the same text as that creature unless stated otherwise. This is how some infinite combos work with Kiki-Jiki, such as copying Pestermite to continually untap Kiki-Jiki with each copy's ETB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

th3t00t posted:

MTG Goldfish podcast said that CL:BG isn’t really CL2, it’s more like AFR: commander precons the set.

And most of them think its a complete dud of a product.

I'm in a weird spot where I agree with this, especially when comparing it to the homerun that was CL1.

But then I look at the card list and see lots of stuff I think is cool, and I am tempted to buy it. I guess that I just don't expect the cards or boxes to be that expensive, especially given the economic climate they are releasing into?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

coelomate posted:

I'm in a weird spot where I agree with this, especially when comparing it to the homerun that was CL1.

But then I look at the card list and see lots of stuff I think is cool, and I am tempted to buy it. I guess that I just don't expect the cards or boxes to be that expensive, especially given the economic climate they are releasing into?

Expect everything to be more expensive. WotC did announce a price hike after record breaking profits after all. :sigh:

That said I imagine most stuff in this set will be pretty accessible, there's not a whole lot of super-strong chase rare stuff here... or any, compared to CL1, which was and still IS full to bursting with good poo poo. (You can still get a box of CL1 for close to MSRP and it's probably far more worth it than this set.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

Another goon brought it up like a month ago and we talked them out out of it for a variety of reasons, but they’re basically the 5th choice Jund Dragon Commander

As a person who plays the 1st choice Jund dragon commander, don't crush a man's dreams. Let 'em fling!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

Yes. A copy of a creature has the same text as that creature unless stated otherwise. This is how some infinite combos work with Kiki-Jiki, such as copying Pestermite to continually untap Kiki-Jiki with each copy's ETB.

That's what I thought, thank you!

I just wanted to double check before I 'brag' about the 1v1 commander game I just had. I wanna brag because I've never gone infinite before in a deck that I created, this deck has NEVER popped off before, has only lost, and then to top it off I actually didn't even realize that I had one infinite combo in my deck, let alone at least two!*

I made a mono red control deck with Starke of Rath as my commander, based on Prof's video of it. My buddy was playing Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun. My buddy's deck was popping OFF, he was making flying sharks and copying spells to make more sharks, and was about to get Marit Lage out, so I was sweating. I don't have much, I played a Sunbird's Invocation, super cool, I also got out my Hematite Talisman which as I played it I actually said "dunno if this really fits with my deck but let's see!" so on his turn he copied more spells and let me make a copy of my Sunbird's Invocation.

I play Kiki-Jiki, luck into a Jeska's Will for the first trigger of Sunbird, hell yeah. Second trigger gives me Anarchist. So I play Jeska's again from that ETB, use some floating Jeska's Will mana on Hematite Talisman to untap Kiki-Jiki and do it again, and my buddy points out uh... I have an infinite mana combo there. And that also let's me exile my entire deck and play everything. And... I can also get infinite Anarchist creatures with haste... :derp:

I'm super fuckin hyphy about this so I wanted to tell it to people who would understand, I told my partner about the entire thing and her eyes glazed over in about two seconds since she hasn't played a single game of MtG, lol

* Fake edit - didn't realize there were infinite combos in the deck that Prof didn't point out in the video.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Johnny Truant posted:

That's what I thought, thank you!

I just wanted to double check before I 'brag' about the 1v1 commander game I just had. I wanna brag because I've never gone infinite before in a deck that I created, this deck has NEVER popped off before, has only lost, and then to top it off I actually didn't even realize that I had one infinite combo in my deck, let alone at least two!*

I made a mono red control deck with Starke of Rath as my commander, based on Prof's video of it. My buddy was playing Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun. My buddy's deck was popping OFF, he was making flying sharks and copying spells to make more sharks, and was about to get Marit Lage out, so I was sweating. I don't have much, I played a Sunbird's Invocation, super cool, I also got out my Hematite Talisman which as I played it I actually said "dunno if this really fits with my deck but let's see!" so on his turn he copied more spells and let me make a copy of my Sunbird's Invocation.

I play Kiki-Jiki, luck into a Jeska's Will for the first trigger of Sunbird, hell yeah. Second trigger gives me Anarchist. So I play Jeska's again from that ETB, use some floating Jeska's Will mana on Hematite Talisman to untap Kiki-Jiki and do it again, and my buddy points out uh... I have an infinite mana combo there. And that also let's me exile my entire deck and play everything. And... I can also get infinite Anarchist creatures with haste... :derp:

I'm super fuckin hyphy about this so I wanted to tell it to people who would understand, I told my partner about the entire thing and her eyes glazed over in about two seconds since she hasn't played a single game of MtG, lol

* Fake edit - didn't realize there were infinite combos in the deck that Prof didn't point out in the video.

Zealous Conscripts is also an infinite combo with Kiki-Jiki in mono red, if that's a card you don't already have in there. The threaten effect can be used on your own Kiki-Jiki, which lets you untap and make another copy (just like the combo with Pestermite/Deceiver Exarch in blue, Restoration Angel and Village Bell-Ringer in white, etc). It's also just good for stealing a planeswalker that's about to ultimate or anything high impact like that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Zealous Conscripts is also an infinite combo with Kiki-Jiki in mono red, if that's a card you don't already have in there. The threaten effect can be used on your own Kiki-Jiki, which lets you untap and make another copy (just like the combo with Pestermite/Deceiver Exarch in blue, Restoration Angel and Village Bell-Ringer in white, etc). It's also just good for stealing a planeswalker that's about to ultimate or anything high impact like that.

lol my buddy pointed that out as Zealous Conscripts was in my selection of Sunbird's first trigger cards. I said "gently caress that I want to keep getting weird with this poo poo!" and that's when I hit the Jeska's Will :coolfish:

Anyway thank you for entertaining my probably-boring-infinite-combo hype! I am still riding that high, hah

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

As a person who plays the 1st choice Jund dragon commander, don't crush a man's dreams. Let 'em fling!

That would be me, I got my rear end utterly handed to me but it was fun.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

lol my buddy pointed that out as Zealous Conscripts was in my selection of Sunbird's first trigger cards. I said "gently caress that I want to keep getting weird with this poo poo!" and that's when I hit the Jeska's Will :coolfish:

Anyway thank you for entertaining my probably-boring-infinite-combo hype! I am still riding that high, hah

I'm so happy for you; I miss that excitement. For me infinite combos are just expected, it takes a really spicy synergy to get me giddy these days.

Like how, if you're running Minsc, you can cast Arena Rector and win the game on the spot:

Have Minsc on board, cast Arena Rector, sac it to Minsc's X ability where X=0, setting its base P/T to 0.

Rector triggers, allowing you to choose a planeswalker from your deck and put it directly onto the battlefield. You choose Vivien of the Hunt.

Use Vivien's +2, sacrificing Minsc to grab a creature with mana value +1 from Minsc's MV, so a 4 mana creature in Felidar Guardian and put it on the battlefield.

Use Felidar Guardian's ETB to flicker Vivien, resetting her.

+2 Vivien again, targeting Felidar Guardian. This time find Karmic Guide and put it on the battlefield.

Karmic Guide ETBs , reanimating Felidar Guardian. Flicker Vivien again.

+2 Vivien once more, targeting Felidar Guardian. Find Kiki-Jiki and put him on the battlefield.

Use Kiki-Jiki's ability to copy Karmic Guide, using the copy's ETB to get Felidar Guardian yet again.

Felidar Guardian ETBs once more, flickering Kiki-Jiki this time.

Tap Kiki-Jiki to make a copy of Felidar Guardian, flickering Kiki-Jiki. Repeat for infinite hasty Felidar Guardians, win.

Oh yeah. That's the stuff. :beerpal:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Arcades deck I put together did pretty well against my friends and I made a few tweaks for next time :)

https://archidekt.com/decks/2774058#Arcades_1.2

My friends play Atraxa and Stax and called it jank but then I swung for 30 unblockable on turn 5 so I’d rate it at half-jank-ish tbh

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

I'm so happy for you; I miss that excitement. For me infinite combos are just expected, it takes a really spicy synergy to get me giddy these days.

Like how, if you're running Minsc, you can cast Arena Rector and win the game on the spot:

Have Minsc on board, cast Arena Rector, sac it to Minsc's X ability where X=0, setting its base P/T to 0.

Rector triggers, allowing you to choose a planeswalker from your deck and put it directly onto the battlefield. You choose Vivien of the Hunt.

Use Vivien's +2, sacrificing Minsc to grab a creature with mana value +1 from Minsc's MV, so a 4 mana creature in Felidar Guardian and put it on the battlefield.

Use Felidar Guardian's ETB to flicker Vivien, resetting her.

+2 Vivien again, targeting Felidar Guardian. This time find Karmic Guide and put it on the battlefield.

Karmic Guide ETBs , reanimating Felidar Guardian. Flicker Vivien again.

+2 Vivien once more, targeting Felidar Guardian. Find Kiki-Jiki and put him on the battlefield.

Use Kiki-Jiki's ability to copy Karmic Guide, using the copy's ETB to get Felidar Guardian yet again.

Felidar Guardian ETBs once more, flickering Kiki-Jiki this time.

Tap Kiki-Jiki to make a copy of Felidar Guardian, flickering Kiki-Jiki. Repeat for infinite hasty Felidar Guardians, win.

That's just the Modern Planebound Accomplice combo!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

Thanks! Infinite combos seemed unattainable to me until just that moment, lol

Knot My President! posted:

The Arcades deck I put together did pretty well against my friends and I made a few tweaks for next time :)

https://archidekt.com/decks/2774058#Arcades_1.2

Serendipitous timing cause I just traded for an Arcades and wanna build a wall deck too!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

That's just the Modern Planebound Accomplice combo!

Ya they actually stole it from us

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Three different legendaries from this set needed day 0 errata? Glad the Commander design team is up to their usual standard of excellence.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
iirc the errata is just to make the wording of the card more clear and understandable, not fix a game breaking issue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the Blitz Commander was specifically worded to offset the downside of Blitz and was bummed to discover that’s precisely what they got wrong about it, lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

iirc the errata is just to make the wording of the card more clear and understandable, not fix a game breaking issue.

Yes, 2 of the "errata" are just "let's just clean up some phrasing". 1 was to cover a weird timing edge case. None of them are really notable and presenting them as A Problem is disingenuous.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Yes, 2 of the "errata" are just "let's just clean up some phrasing". 1 was to cover a weird timing edge case. None of them are really notable and presenting them as A Problem is disingenuous.

Less a "problem," more a dunk on them for being just as good at writing the cards as they are at designing them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the Blitz Commander was specifically worded to offset the downside of Blitz and was bummed to discover that’s precisely what they got wrong about it, lol

What are you referring to?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqdDmIrY3w

I think I'm just going to get the precons for this set, hold off till Double Masters: Moar Double Moar Masters

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. Gonna get singles and do a box of Double Masters instead.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Framboise posted:

Yeah. Gonna get singles and do a box of Double Masters instead.

Goons are famously bad at picking up singles in their area.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Goons are famously bad at picking up singles in their area.

Thats why Canadian Highlander keeps getting recommended

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ybrik posted:

Thats why Canadian Highlander keeps getting recommended

What format do you play?

Oh, uh, you wouldn't know it, it's Canadian Highlander

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

What format do you play?

Oh, uh, you wouldn't know it, it's Canadian Highlander

My singleton format goes to another school, in Canada.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

~It's my format!
My wonderful format!
Yes it's my format,
who lives in Canada!~

And I can't wait to shuffle the deck up again!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Robviously posted:

~It's my format!
My wonderful format!
Yes it's my format,
who lives in Canada!~

And I can't wait to shuffle the deck up again!

An Avenue Q fan, I see.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
:hmmyes: These kids know what's up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like Sheldon won't be at CommanderFest 'cause he almost died due to complications from his cancer treatment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know a few artists cancelled because COVID in Richmond is spiking

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was bummed that I had to back out of going to Commandfest Philly, but honestly I'm feeling a lot better about that choice as every day goes by.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat, woke up this AM and checked my socials and almost everyone I would’ve gone to Richmond to play with has missed their flight due to cancellations//understaffing. Turns out all the airlines that dropped mask mandates have a huge staffing shortage, so the customs line from Canada to the US is like 4 hours long. Olivia G-H had her flight cancelled while sitting at her gate, Hermit Druid got to the airport 4 hours early and still missed his flight.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

Turns out all the airlines that dropped mask mandates have a huge staffing shortage.

No one could have predicted this. :bang:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah traveling by plane this summer is going to be a wonderful new kind of hell that's only a precursor to this year's holiday travel.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Welp, got a set box of CMB at pre-release thinking "how bad could it be?" and was punished for my hubris. I knew it wouldn't be a great financial choice but I was excited for the lands and dragons...

0 Ancient dragons, 0 interesting rare dragons, 1 battlebond land (the green and white one :v:), 1 Archivist of Oghma... and piles of worthless legendary creatures and cards with way too much text on them.

Got a lot of rares/mythics overall (43 or so from the 18 set packs?). But it feels like the first commander legends where the rare slots are skewed heavily to draftable commanders (and now backgrounds), making everything else somewhat more scarce?

At least got to support the LGS, and still had fun reading through spoilers and cracking packs on (pre) release day!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the boxes seem to be pretty bad, a few people on Facebook groups I'm in have been pulling boxes without mythics at all.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I didn't get any of the gates in the box that I opened except the eponymous rare. I have to wonder if there was some printing screw up because there doesn't seem to be any good reason to leave them out of an entire set booster box.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Anyone have a good list of budget reanimation targets? Like, under ten bucks, I'm black /green /white /blue
But especially black

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I brought my Drake posted:

I didn't get any of the gates in the box that I opened except the eponymous rare. I have to wonder if there was some printing screw up because there doesn't seem to be any good reason to leave them out of an entire set booster box.

I got a feeling they didn't throughly test their sorting algorithm for 18 packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Anyone have a good list of budget reanimation targets? Like, under ten bucks, I'm black /green /white /blue
But especially black

Koma, Cosmos Serpent won't break the bank at like $12

Quicksilver Gargantuan is a fun clone since he's always a big boy

Titanoth Rex is cool, he has trample and can cycle himself into the 'yard

Lord of Extinction can be fun if you're reliably filling graveyards, note that its power/toughness determination text still applies when it's in the graveyard itself, which can be relevant especially if you're doing things like Mimeoplasm

i like End-Raze Forerunners even by itself as a reanimnation target because it has trample and haste (and vigilance). most of the other big hasty guys like Skithrix are out of your price range though

for wider effects/interaction there's Bane of Progress, Kederekt Leviathan, and Apex Altisaur

e: oh, i didn't see white on there! check out Soul of Eternity, it's under a buck and i believe it's the only "power is your life total" guy that doesn't shuffle himself back into your library

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 4, 2022